Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airzona11

Re: WHAT ARE THE WORST THINGS ABOUT FLYING?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:15 am

- The people who crowd the boarding line and don't attempt to interpret the groups
-American Airlines not putting the current boarding group on the TV Monitor
- Delays
-Flight attendants / airline staff who are cold/unpleasant
-Fees to use miles
- Passengers who put their bag above the first row they pass vs about their row

Zombus

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:29 pm

Lovely thread. Funny to read about the many things people don't like about flying. While I agree that the whole flying experience has become somewhat of a challenge, I'm actually quite at ease with whatever happens in the process. I'm not a regular flyer, so if anything, I'll just sit the whole thing out and be over with it. It's only a couple of hours. I'll live.

Whenever I hear people complaining about flying (or any other form of public transportation), I always think back to the couple of bus rides I had in Ethiopia back in 2008. Trust me, whatever you're going through in an airplane, it really really really doesn't even come close to Ethiopian buses. Wooden benches for seats, with seat pitch about 20" (no kidding - you must sit sideways or partially stand..). Net seat width 15" (five seats abreast, seating eight people). Sacks of rice and other luggage stacked in the aisle. Boarding time standardized at 04:00AM. Unpaved, slippery mountain roads. Covering 500km takes 20 hours spread over two days with enforced overnighting in a bedbug-ridden 'hotel' with several used condoms under the bed. Well, you get it. The kind of experience that turns everything else five-star. Small wonder that Ethiopia has such a comprehensive domestic airservice network. Those who can afford it, won't ever use buses.

I promised myself to remember this whenever transportation seemed challenging. I'm much more at ease now in almost all transport-related circumstances. Also, I understood that since 2008, the Chinese have paved most roads, dramatically reducing travel times and improving comfort and safety. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to experience the old situation..
306/310/319/320/3323/342356/AN28/AT72/B19/712/722/7323458/7448/752/7634/7723/C172/C208/C402/CR9/
D228/D328/DC9/DH6/E120/E145/E170/E190/F50/F70/F100/MD11/MD83/MD88/R44/RJ85/RJ100

LH748

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:51 pm

The evil kid in front of me who needs to recline its seat and crush my poor knees :cry:
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

readytotaxi

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:43 pm

I start by stating how lucky I am, now to only travel F on long haul or J. In my early years I was up the back not knowing any different, 1980's. Yes travel then was less stressful then but some things have not changed in 40 years.
Rudeness to fellow passengers and staff in many forms.
Body odour and farting, both ladies and gentlemen.
An airlines ability to convey to passengers the reasons behind a delay and what they are doing about it.
Since moving to the front of the airplane I have noted that rudeness still prevails in F & J if someone does not get their way.
The body odour thing is still the same.
Security lines have not improved in the modern world, but we all want to feel secure on our journey.
The Int First class experience is very nice and the theatre of the meal service is wonderful, the IFE offeres hours of fun.
But at the end of the day no matter what class you travel you are still at the mercy of the unpredictable fellow passenger.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

GGtai

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Jet lag that hangs on for days and days. Does not matter east bound or west bound.

Cancelled or changed flights without telling us

Folks who bring huge suitcases and put in overhead bins.

aerolimani

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:48 pm

GGtai wrote:
Jet lag that hangs on for days and days. Does not matter east bound or west bound.

You may have already tried it, but if you haven't, I suggest melatonin supplements. I've been able to turn around my jetlag much more quickly using a little melatonin. My euro flights are usually overnight, so I take it once on the plane, to help ensure a deeper sleep. The next time I take it is immediately before going to sleep at normal local time, at my destination. By the next day, I'm adjusted. It seems to encourage the body/mind to adjust more quickly.

Also, I find it helpful to try and start adjusting my sleep schedule by an hour every day, in advance of flying over many time zones. If I'm going to continental Europe, they're 8 hours ahead of me. Thus, four days before I fly, I start getting up (and going to sleep) an hour earlier each day, So, by the time I leave, I'm already four hours closer to European time.

Perhaps you've already tried this. If not, then maybe these ideas will help!

dfwjim1

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:03 pm

And the worst, the way people treat check in/gate agents. It's not their fault something happened to your flight. 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 they had absolutely no bearing on your flight being delayed. I get travel is stressful, I really do. I spent 19 hours trying to get to Fargo yesterday, but being an ass wouldn't have made me get their any faster. That person is doing their job, they're trying to help you. Why would you be a jerk to someone trying to help you. Same goes for the TSA. Guy needs to eat, TSA pays the bills. Let him do his job, if he wasn't there, someone else would be. Leave your feelings about it at home or send them to your elected officials, dude doesn't make the rules.

I totally agree about the TSA. Treat TSA agents with respect, courtesy and a sense of humor and the whole transaction will go a lot smoother 90% of the time.

dfwjim1

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Zombus wrote:
Lovely thread. Funny to read about the many things people don't like about flying. While I agree that the whole flying experience has become somewhat of a challenge, I'm actually quite at ease with whatever happens in the process. I'm not a regular flyer, so if anything, I'll just sit the whole thing out and be over with it. It's only a couple of hours. I'll live.

Whenever I hear people complaining about flying (or any other form of public transportation), I always think back to the couple of bus rides I had in Ethiopia back in 2008. Trust me, whatever you're going through in an airplane, it really really really doesn't even come close to Ethiopian buses. Wooden benches for seats, with seat pitch about 20" (no kidding - you must sit sideways or partially stand..). Net seat width 15" (five seats abreast, seating eight people). Sacks of rice and other luggage stacked in the aisle. Boarding time standardized at 04:00AM. Unpaved, slippery mountain roads. Covering 500km takes 20 hours spread over two days with enforced overnighting in a bedbug-ridden 'hotel' with several used condoms under the bed. Well, you get it. The kind of experience that turns everything else five-star. Small wonder that Ethiopia has such a comprehensive domestic airservice network. Those who can afford it, won't ever use buses.

I promised myself to remember this whenever transportation seemed challenging. I'm much more at ease now in almost all transport-related circumstances. Also, I understood that since 2008, the Chinese have paved most roads, dramatically reducing travel times and improving comfort and safety. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to experience the old situation..

Your story is right on! Those of us who live in developed countries should be ashamed of how we complain and take for granted all of the nice things that make our lives so much easier. After my first trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil I have always done my best not to complain about my lifestyle here in the United States. Life takes on a new perspective after seeing families living in cardboard huts next to a busy freeway and very near one of the most polluted rivers in the world.

ZKCIF

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:59 pm

1) security
2) Americans and Russians (no racist offense intended): just because they always expect everything to be like in their own country: (in cases like) disembarking in Ilulissat, when a Russian beauty in high heels tries to walk on ice to the terminal and angrily demands someone from the staff to carry her oversize hand luggage as if it were their duty

flyingturtle

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:16 pm

If God has meant us to fly, he would have given each of us a ton of money to buy the tickets...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

767333ER

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:51 pm

-Whiny, entitled (and usually ignorant) pax
-Unruly/drunk pax
-Pax with stinky food
-People who move next to an airport that was there before they were and proceed to complain about the noise
-Bashing of the PTV screen on your seat back
-Pax that can't listen to crew member instructions/light up signs and posted placards
-Grumpy crew
-Downsizing to regional jets
-Pax that stand right in front of the lav door just waiting to be hit when you open it
-Seats narrower than about 18"
-Pax that take their sweet time putting their precious carry-on in the overhead bins
-Noisy children
-E90 on a 4 hour flight eupipped with the hardest seats on earth
-Air Canada ordering 737s to replace A320s (bye bye wide, comfortable seats)
-Seat pitch <30"
-The 737-900 ;)
-"Business class" where they have a middle seat they don't sell (as seen on many, if not most of the legacy narrowbody cabins in Europe)
-Everytime a 747,757,767, or 777 is retired
-Not being able to fly more often
-Not being a pilot myself :(
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

bgm

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:01 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
could care less.

Not an airline peeve, but you're saying the exact opposite of what you mean. It should be: "could'NT care less".

Looking at the complaints in this thread, most are derived from flying in the US. So, I will say the worst thing about flying is flying in the US. Here's why:

1) You get to the airport. From the moment you walk it, it's unpleasant. The checkin staff treat you at best as a mild annoyance, at worst with complete disdain. Despite often having a conveyor belt right behind them, you have to then haul the luggage yourself to some corner of the airport, abandon it, and hope that somehow it will make it to your destination.
2) TSA. You get delicious combo of rudeness and incompetence. Good to know our flight safety is in good hands.
3) US airport terminals: there are some exceptions, but most of them are outdated dumps that haven't seen a lick of paint in decades. Low ceilings, moldy carpets, dark & dingy etc. Unless you're in a rush to become obese or get type 2 diabetes, the food options are rather limited.
4) The constant shrieking on the PA. The tone of their voices sounds like imminent Armageddon. You also have the added bonus of CNN blaring everywhere. I'm not the biggest fan of other airport's automated announcements, but at least they are calm, clear, and not stress-inducing.
5) So you finally made it to the gate. Phew. The airline announces that there are 29 different boarding groups, so make sure you get into the right one! And people wonder why it takes 45 mins to board a 737.
6) You're finally onboard. As you step onto the aircraft, don't expect to get any kind of welcome or greeting from the FA. At best you'll be ignored, at worst, you'll get a vicious scowl.
7) Once onboard, you'll notice most passengers seem to be moving house, given how large their bags are and how much crap they have with them. If you happen to be within the first few boarding groups, you might be able to find a space for your bag. Otherwise, it will be checked (for free, lucky you!).
8) You've successfully found a space for your bag and you take your seat. There's nowhere to put your knees, and the person next to you is spilling over taking up half of your seat. But at least you're finally onboard.
9) You watch the other passengers boarding. It's like slow motion. Lots of vacant stares, milling around, attempts to stuff a clearly oversized bag into the overhead locker. More vacant stares while he/she ponders what to do next. All the while the aisle is blocked without a care in the world. Finally, a surly FA comes down and barks that the bag will need to be checked. Person moves upstream to take their bag to the front. Rinse and repeat dozens of times.
10) Everyone's on board. We're off! If you're lucky to have video screens, you'll get treated to a 5 minute narcissistic video from the airline CEO telling you how incredibly awesome their airline is. After that you get the stern warning that FAs are there for your safety! Remember that, safety, not service! Next up, you're treated to a safety demo video. You're not quite sure whether it's a safety video or some sort of really bad comedy sketch.
11) We're off! After takeoff, you're treated to a badly scripted announcement about their frequent flyer program, and how if you sign up for their credit card you'll get a free flight! Afterwards, you'll be offered a cup of ice. In that cup of ice there may be traces of some kind of beverage if you're lucky. Then you'll be offered the deliciously overpriced "snacks for purchase". Said items have expiration dates well into the next decade, so at this point you realize that the airport food items were probably better.
12) After you've enjoyed your cup of ice and uber-preserved snack, you'll see an FA coming down the aisle. "Trash....trash...trash...trash...trash...". It's hard to tell whether the FA is asking for discarded items, or insulting the passengers.
13) We start our descent. "We'll be on the ground shortly". That's reassuring. Glad we're not going to be landing on a cloud or something.
14) Disembarking is like the reverse of step 9. If you're unlucky enough to be at the back of the plane, feel free to stay seated for the next 20 mins. If you're on a 757-300, you've got half an hour to relax.

"Thanks for flying with us. We appreciate your business!" :P

767333ER

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:10 pm

bgm wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
could care less.

Not an airline peeve, but you're saying the exact opposite of what you mean. It should be: "could'NT care less".

Looking at the complaints in this thread, most are derived from flying in the US. So, I will say the worst thing about flying is flying in the US. Here's why:

"Thanks for flying with us. We appreciate your business!" :P

Well shorthaul flights in Europe offer less space and a worse product even on legacies. Just look at the trash legroom and ammenites airlines like BA offer on short haul. PTVs or wireless personal entertainement only if you are very lucky. Business class uses the same seats as economy with an empty middle seat and mediocre legroom. Longhaul is a different story...
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

blueflyer

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:05 am

Just about everything else I could think of has been mentioned, except rolling delays. I'd much prefer a 2-hour delay announced upfront than having to trek back to the gate every 30 minutes to find out I'll be back at the gate 30 minutes later for no reason. Just make a boarding announcement in the club/lounge, or text me, or email me, or send me a carrier pigeon, but let me use the time productively!

Note: I am not saying every boarding announcement should be made in clubs/lounges, but I wouldn't mind if those of flights delayed 30+ minutes were just to avoid the obligatory trip back to the gate.

eicvd

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Not getting a window seat....
COYBIB

n92r03

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:58 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Other passengers.

Always starts at check in. Cool, you're a silver medallion, you don't get to cut in front of me because of it. I'm a Gold Medallion, so even if it meant something, I'm ahead of you.

Security. I don't hate the TSA, it's whatever. I can live with it. What I do hate is passengers at security. Really, you don't know by now you have to take all the metal out of your pockets and your shoes off? Yes, your laptop has to go in a bin, they said it 5 times already and there were another 5 signs that said the same thing. You're not special, take the damn laptop out of the bag and put it in the bin. No, you can't bring your water in with you, yes it's annoying. Again, I don't care you're a silver medallion, this is the precheck line, there's probably 5 guys in front of us who paid their respective airlines more in fares last year than you made. Back of the line. Oh you're running late? I'm sorry you didn't plan ahead, I'll be sure to show up 5 minutes before game time next time so I can push to the front too.

Once you're past security. Food court. It's McDonalds, they've had the same thing since 'Nam, order your burger. Now, moving walkways, it clearly says walk and stand, move over. Gates, calling up premiums doesn't mean you have to congregate at the gate. You have an assigned seat, it will still be there if you aren't first in line. (Though I do place plenty of blame on the airlines because of the checked bag fees).

Onboard, loud people. Just please respect the people around you. We don't need to hear you jabbering on your phone about the meeting you have coming. You're important, we established that when you cut in line waiving your silver status. Bravo. Recline. Now this one is a grey area for me. I get you have every right to recline your seat all the way, but I get claustrophobic when people recline all the way. So I don't do it, but I get why people do it, just be respectful. Does your seat really need to be all the way back on a 1.5 hour flight to Detroit, probably not.

Amen to all of this, great post.

Baggage claim. Lets all crowd around so nobody can see our bags. Take a step back, don't force me to push my way past you to grab my bag and then look at me because I'm the rude one. Two way street.

And the worst, the way people treat check in/gate agents. It's not their fault something happened to your flight. 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 they had absolutely no bearing on your flight being delayed. I get travel is stressful, I really do. I spent 19 hours trying to get to Fargo yesterday, but being an ass wouldn't have made me get their any faster. That person is doing their job, they're trying to help you. Why would you be a jerk to someone trying to help you. Same goes for the TSA. Guy needs to eat, TSA pays the bills. Let him do his job, if he wasn't there, someone else would be. Leave your feelings about it at home or send them to your elected officials, dude doesn't make the rules.

I know I probably sound like I hate flying, but I love it. I just hate how self centered the general public becomes when they fly. Too many people seem to think that buying a ticket makes them special. Certain people do have that right, if you're a Diamond Medallion, you've earned the right to kind of be high brow. But you also know how it goes. It's those people who fly just enough to make status that just bug the hell out of me. Sense of entitlement is hysterical.

Aptivaboy

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 pm

What do I hate?
- Security/TSA people who don't know how to do their jobs. I totally respect the need for security, but is it too hard to actually know your rules and procedures and to apply them consistently and smartly?
- Rude cabin crew. A smile will get you everything.
- Rude and entitled passengers. See above about that smile.
- Smelly passengers. Seriously, who some people choose not to bathe before flying is beyond me.
- Drunks on a plane.
-
Everyone tries to shove their huge carryon in the overhead bins when they should have checked them
Yep!!!! I despise this, especially when they nearly decapitate me trying to get their heavy bag down .
- To add to the above, being one of the last people to board and being told that there is no more overhead space left due to the idiots with their huge carry ons, and being told to return to the front counter and check my bag and then go through security again, all without missing the flight. Um, no... Not gonna happen.
- Waiting forever for my luggage to be unloaded and come down the carousel. Really, you shouldn't have to wait more than 30 minutes for your luggage to start circling. It will probably take you fifteen minutes to lave the plane and enter the terminal proper depending upon your seat. Then, hit the restroom, etc., so by the time you reach the baggage claim area your luggage should be en route.

There are others but this is what came to mind quickly.

anplatinum

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:07 am

Pwm2txlhopper:
You haven't ridden in a long distance bus lately. The leg room is less than most airline coach seats, the seat doesn't recline and there is no seat back IFE.

agentskelly

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:22 pm

I have seen lots of changes over the 26 plus years as a passenger and I have to say the old the that annoys me that I found out recently was that apparently, its now rude to recline your seat without asking first? It used to be the other way around; if you recline your seat, the person behind you should politely ask you don't recline that far back and explain why.

And regarding other passengers being rude to customer service staff and blaming them for being responsible for whatever problem. A trick I learned from my grandfather who lets say I'm sure has spent plenty of dollars on now dead airlines over the last 70 years when he had to be rebooked, rerouted, or have an issue fixed by customer service, he would ask "Sir/Miss, I know your not personally responsible for this issue that I am having, but can you tell what department or person perhaps would be responsible for this issue? I would like to write them."

aerolimani

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:39 pm

agentskelly wrote:
I have seen lots of changes over the 26 plus years as a passenger and I have to say the old the that annoys me that I found out recently was that apparently, its now rude to recline your seat without asking first? It used to be the other way around; if you recline your seat, the person behind you should politely ask you don't recline that far back and explain why.

I've always felt that I'm renting the seat, not the air. Not using my recline would be like renting a car, but being forbidden from using its cruise control. That being said, I do believe in using my recline conscientiously. I don't think I should have to ask first, but when I do recline, I do it slowly. And, when it's mealtime, I always raise my seat.

I also dislike the suggestion that one shouldn't be using the recline on a short flight. If it's 7am, and I'm very sleepy, why should I destroy my neck, sleeping fully upright?

For tall people, the complaint is usually that the seatback presses into their knees. So, I have a legitimate question for tall people… can you not alleviate this problem by straightening your legs and putting your feet under the seat in front of you?

Which brings me to another annoying flying complaint, about other passengers, again. People who shove the biggest things imaginable (often, water bottles) in and out of the seat pocket. Of course, with the new low-profile seats, which have hard backs, this is no longer a problem. It's one their redeeming features, IMO.

m0ssy

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Living in a rural area, the lack of access to interesting air traffic. I suppose that doesn't qualify as flying.

Luggage not arriving, getting lost, tampered with.

Attitude at security.

Not much else to complain about here. Most of the time you know what you are getting. If you fly coach, you know it will be tight, loud, etc...

Enter knowing that a perfect flight/itinerary/seat mate, are always a gamble.
Follow me on Instagram! @eug_spotter :airplane:

sirdanilot

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:56 am

1. Security. Security is the most annoying thing and the reason I would prefer the train or bus (or, when going to england, the boat) on shorter sections over the airplane if it were at a competitive price. However usually only the bus is. When I wanted to go to Hull the boat was actually at a very good price but sadl I had to cancel my trip due to other reasons.
2. Screaming children in the airplane. I know it can't be helped but it's just incredibly annoying.
3. Long lay-overs are incredibly boring when you, like me, can only afford to fly economy and do not have lounge access.

Danny319

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:49 am

For me, waiting for my luggage at the end of a long trip and / or rushing to meet your connecting flight if your inbound flight is delayed. After a long haul flight, there's nothing worse than not seeing your bags come out or missing your connecting flight - this has happened to me, which is why I carry a spare set of clothes in my carry on and these days allow 2 hours between flights when flying long haul.

flyingturtle

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:02 am

If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us an unlimited amount of money...

Yes, that flying (or learning to fly) costs money. That's the only negative thing.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

11725Flyer

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:40 pm

As mentioned by others, my major issue is the bureaucracy called the TSA. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to tell them how they're insanely insensitive, but I didn't want to wind up missing my flight.

The other thing that's on my list of issues are flight attendants who close the curtain, sit down for extended periods of times, and act like you're bothering them if you ask for something.

YVRLTN

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:54 am

As a plane geek, probably travelling with people who dont love aviation like I do or are resigned to my quirks, rituals and habits as my wife is... I also hate terminals that do not have air side views.

Other than that its certainly people, so many seem to become self centered, entitled and arrogant, or just clueless and devoid of common sense or ill mannered and unpleasant. You wouldnt leave your litter or worse on seats or the floor at home, why do so in an airport or aircraft.

One last personal thing, I also try and get a window seat to plane spot, I have got countless rego's this way. If I do get the middle seat, it makes me mad inside when someone closes the window shade as soon as they sit down. Why book a window seat if you dont want to look out of it!! Arrrggghhh.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

masgniw

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:21 am

Probably the caps lock.

benbeny

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:52 am

I'm from Asia, mind you so this may not apply to more civilized countries.
1) People who cannot queue in line and stop behind stop line when checking in. That's the most annoying thing.
2) People getting rude when you ask them to queue. Oh yes, I have this experience so many times.
2) Security. Everyone hate queueing, but at least you can make it less painful by removing your belt and shoes first, so you don't need to be checked, twice.
3) Very expensive (by country's standard) food and not enough seats for everyone, especially if some flights are delayed. But no one complains when we sit on the floor, tho'.
4) English PA. Okay, not too many people can speak English fluently with good pronounciation and dialects (my English isn't that good actually), but at least you can make yourself clearer than muttering and hoping some foreigners understand that.
5) People jamming in front of the gate even before the gate is open. AND DO PEOPLE QUEUE? NO! People jam and try to board the aircraft first, though you know you won't leave for at least 15 minutes more, usually more.
6) Walking in the busy apron and people taking selfies. I know not all airports have bridges and sometimes the parking stand is limited, but at least pax should make the process safer by paying full attention when walking on the ramp with so many noises, fuel trucks and pushback tractors dashing near you. Sometimes what people do is downright dangerous.
7) People bringing luggage that should be checked on the overhead. No wonder why FAs have hard time closing that. Checking luggage (at least for the first 15 kg) are almost always free (even for LCC) so you should pay common sense then. And people do not use proper bag or suitcase, they use old cardboard boxes, which are at first used to pack instant noodles or mineral water. I'm serious here.
8) People taking window seats while their boarding passes show aisle seat, and you got angry stare when you ask for your rightful seat.
11) Then, you have people still calling or texting even after the engine is started and the FAs warn them sternly. Sometimes FAs get angry scowl too.
12) No free food or water for LCC, though I can't really complain. Well, you still get 30"-31" seat pitch for LCCs here, not like in the European or USA thing, even though we're a lot slimmer than you guys! Maybe you should call your airlines 'flying torture chamber'.
13) People shutting their blinds on takeoff, even after the announcements. AND people taking off their seatbelts shortly after takeoff, even before the sign is off *sigh*
14) Finally you're about to land. People still recline their seat and FAs need to check personally.
15) People unbuckle while the reversers are still on and we're not clearing the runway yet.
16) We're clearing the runway, and people start turning their phone on and start making calls though you know you won't get anywhere for the next 15-20 minutes.
17) People start standing while we're stopping on the taxiway. FAs need to make another call to ask people to sit.
18) We're finally parked, but the engines are still on. People start to stand and retrieve their luggage. Engine off: people walking down the aisle, though the door won't be opened for another couple of minutes and creating traffic jam.

Guess which country is this :D

dc9northwest

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:11 pm

The liquid ban and having to pay 5 bucks/Euros/quid for a bottle of water.

11725Flyer

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Pilots and flight attendants who trash their company while waiting in the gate area.

infinit

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42 am

- Long immigration queues at any airport other than SIN.

- There being nothing to do past immigration when you're waiting to board.. Again Singapore is the exception with little gardens and shops all over every terminal

- your bags being left behind.
I found my way around that by only bringing only a cabin size suitcase. No matter how long I am gone for, I only have that one suitcase. If it cant fit in there, it doesn't make the trip!

Blith1958

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:14 am

The worst thing about flying is you can't take things you wish. You have to be careful about luggage accessories.

A340313X

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:49 am

Turbulence. Flew ZB BHX - FNC the other week, turbulence all the way up to cruise and I felt awful for the whole ascent plus about half an hour. I remember my first flight on a UA 747 back in something like 1992. Lots of turbulence and felt awful then too, then a connection from LAX to MCO (Disneyworld, yay!) and my first hours with my head stuck down the plane loo on a DC10. The united FAs were very nice about it though!

DaveFly

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 am

1. The seats in economy. I am tall, but not heavy; the only way to have a decent trip is to pay extra for economy plus.
2. TSA. My 3-ounce mosquito repellent was confiscated last week.
3. Stressing about the availability of room in the overhead for a small suitcase. If the airlines didn't charge $35 per bag, I'd happily send it to the cargo hold.
4. Screaming toddlers. I used to bring my own toddlers on dozens of flights, supplied with books, games, crayons. They always behaved. Last week, I was on an 11-hr flight, two toddlers (same family) SCREAMED throughout the entire flight. And the parents encouraged it, telling them to run through the aisles. In this day and age, with iPhones and lawsuits, people are afraid to say anything.

On the other hand, when you have the opportunity to fly an airline like Hawaiian, with good service, meals, and attentive flight attendants, then flying really is a pleasure.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42