Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Shortest International Airline Flight

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:58 am

Hiya,

today, an airline I have never ever heard about ("People's Viennaline") started ops on a 20 km route... Friedrichshafen (FDH, Germany) over Lake Constance to Altenrhein (ACH, Switzerland). They fly an Embraer 145, and the flight lasts for 8 minutes. A one-way trip is 40 €, and the plane continues to CGN.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20161102/worlds ... -takes-off

"Previously, the world’s shortest international flight was a ten minute journey between the Austrian capital Vienna and the Slovakian capital Bratislava, launched by the low-cost Austrian airline FlyNiki. It’s primarily used by travelers who have connecting flights from Vienna."

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

MalevTU134

Re: Shortest International Airline Flight

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:17 am

How about FIH-BZV?

anshabhi

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:05 am

40€ is just too expensive for a 20km journey. I generally pay that much for 500 km journey. (Indian govt has fixed €34 as upper limit for 1 hour journey from small airports)

Alexdk

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:21 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
How about FIH-BZV?

The straight line distance between them is 26 km, while for FDH-ACH it is 5 km shorter.

P.S. It is really a shame that there isn't a single bridge between Kinshasa and Brazzaville.

cougar15

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 am

ist actually an E170, not E145
some you lose, others you can´t win!

SCQ83

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:39 am

It is similar to Luxair's LUX-SCN-HAM. Basically the plane adds a "tag" to a German domestic route.

mjoelnir

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:52 am

It is a flight inside the Schengen Area, handled like a domestic flight. Calling it international is perhaps right, but a bit grand as I would not call the flight between Bratislava and Vienna international, no immigration no customs.

Vienna Peoples airline flies mainly from ACH to VIE, has one airplane and is increasing its destinations. Based in ACH. The flight ACH to FDH continues to CGN. I assume it is mainly not a connection between ACH to FDH, but a flight to CGN, collecting passengers at both airports.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:41 pm

cougar15 wrote:
ist actually an E170, not E145

I don't know anything about those Embraers... :?

anshabhi wrote:
40€ is just too expensive for a 20km journey. I generally pay that much for 500 km journey. (Indian govt has fixed €34 as upper limit for 1 hour journey from small airports)

If somebody really wanted to travel from Saint Gallen to Friedrichshafen, he'd buy a 20 € ticket (train and then car ferry), and spend 1 h 13'. And then, Altenrhein airfield is a wee bit far away from Saint Gallen (14 km air distance). It's rather a connection for those who have to travel to CGN for business, and either have a company car driver at their disposal, or are using their own car.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

303dk

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Air Sunshine flies AXA-SXM every day. 19km, $50

ryan78

Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:22 pm

303dk wrote:
Air Sunshine flies AXA-SXM every day. 19km, $50

Was just gonna say that, along with Anguilla Air Services and Trans Anguilla Airways on the BN-2.

mickster

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:28 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
"Previously, the world’s shortest international flight was a ten minute journey between the Austrian capital Vienna and the Slovakian capital Bratislava, launched by the low-cost Austrian airline FlyNiki. It’s primarily used by travelers who have connecting flights from Vienna."

For the record, this is factually incorrect, this flight never materialised, it was cancelled before being launched. The name of the airline is Niki (flyNiki is only rarely used as a marketing brand). And who with a normal common sense and state of mind will take a flight from BTS so as to connect in VIE ?!? The whole thing sounds quite amateurish ...

lesfalls

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 pm

mickster wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

For the record, this is factually incorrect, this flight never materialised, it was cancelled before being launched. The name of the airline is Niki (flyNiki is only rarely used as a marketing brand). And who with a normal common sense and state of mind will take a flight from BTS so as to connect in VIE ?!? The whole thing sounds quite amateurish ...

Niki was going to also start BTS-BRU so the aircraft was going to fly VIE-BTS-BRU-BTS-VIE so they thought why not sell tickets on the "delivery" flight to BTS. It would pay for some of the costs for the flight to BTS at least. I find it a pity that they didn't end up starting it.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

RJNUT

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:58 pm

FLIGHT DATE SEGMENT DPTR ARVL MLS EQP ELPD MILES SMD
1 9K 8881 11JAN EIS STT 1225P 1247P CNA .22 30

71Zulu

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Oh I wish I knew what all these obscure airport codes were.

303dk

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 pm

RJNUT wrote:
FLIGHT DATE SEGMENT DPTR ARVL MLS EQP ELPD MILES SMD
1 9K 8881 11JAN EIS STT 1225P 1247P CNA .22 30

STT-EIS is 46km.

LCKip

e: Shortest International Airline Flight

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 am

71Zulu wrote:

It's irritant indeed the least to say! I know some codes but if want to read this because it's an interesting topic. I have to Google for every code. I gave up to read this stuff. Posting this way should be forbidden!

DannyT

Re: e: Shortest International Airline Flight

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 am

LCKip wrote:
71Zulu wrote:

It's irritant indeed the least to say! I know some codes but if want to read this because it's an interesting topic. I have to Google for every code. I gave up to read this stuff. Posting this way should be forbidden!

Like it or not this is how the industry talk looks like, learning the codes might prove helpful in a way so don't irritate yourself, just part take in the fun. These routes definitely made me laugh.

Is it even possible to accelerate to 1000km/h before landing procedures?
Promoting future airport solutions with experts at Aviation Insider

vinniewinnie

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am

Alexdk wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
How about FIH-BZV?

The straight line distance between them is 26 km, while for FDH-ACH it is 5 km shorter.

P.S. It is really a shame that there isn't a single bridge between Kinshasa and Brazzaville.

Th bridge has been planned for many years and à detailed engineering study is currently being performed.

Politics will likely kill the project (again)

LCKip

e: Shortest International Airline Flight

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:34 am

DannyT wrote:
LCKip wrote:
71Zulu wrote:

Like it or not this is how the industry talk looks like, learning the codes might prove helpful in a way so don't irritate yourself, just part take in the fun. These routes definitely made me laugh.ocedures?

Industry jargon? And you think I'm prepared to try to learn all those codes? No way! When I go to a doctor or a hospital they have their medical jargon but they have to talk to me in normal people's language.

JayBCNLON

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:51 am

71Zulu wrote:

Then go and look them up! This is the airliners forum.

JayBCNLON

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:54 am

LCKip wrote:
DannyT wrote:
LCKip wrote:

Like it or not this is how the industry talk looks like, learning the codes might prove helpful in a way so don't irritate yourself, just part take in the fun. These routes definitely made me laugh.ocedures?

Industry jargon? And you think I'm prepared to try to learn all those codes? No way! When I go to a doctor or a hospital they have their medical jargon but they have to talk to me in normal people's language.

If you don't like try another site. Or stop wining.

johnclipper

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 pm

How about HKG-CAN on KA with an A330?
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

LCKip

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:42 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
LCKip wrote:
DannyT wrote:

OK, I stop this discussion definately because we will never agree. It's a pity that some people here are arrogant and narrowminded. Instead you should be open minded and take in account that there are people interested in aviation but have not the knowledge and experience to understand those codes. And you should understand that those people are unable to learm those codes in a flash. A site like this should be usable for all aviation hobbyists and not just a group of experts and professionals.

MalevTU134

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:47 pm

LCKip wrote:
JayBCNLON wrote:
LCKip wrote:

OK, I stop this discussion definately because we will never agree. It's a pity that some people here are arrogant and narrowminded. Instead you should be open minded and take in account that there are people interested in aviation but have not the knowledge and experience to understand those codes. And you should understand that those people are unable to learm those codes in a flash. A site like this should be usable for all aviation hobbyists and not just a group of experts and professionals.

In the good old days of a.net, you could hold the cursor above a code and the airport or airline would appear in clear text. The good old days of a.net...
Sigh....
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCKip

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:53 pm

[quote="MalevTU134"][quote="LCKip"][quote="JayBCNLON"]

In the good old days of a.net, you could hold the cursor above a code and the airport or airline would appear in clear text. The good old days of a.net...
Sigh

That's from before I came in A.net, but it should be good for people like me!

BobPatterson

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm

LCKip wrote:
It's a pity that some people here are arrogant and narrow-minded. Instead you should be open minded and take in account that there are people interested in aviation but have not the knowledge and experience to understand those codes. And you should understand that those people are unable to learn those codes in a flash. A site like this should be usable for all aviation hobbyists and not just a group of experts and professionals.

LCKip, the person you refer to is not only rude and arrogant, but is also an ignoramus who doesn't know that whining is not spelled wining. If that person claims it was a simple typo, don't believe it.

I joined airliners.net a few months before you did and had (still have) the difficulty of not knowing the world airport and airline codes. I've learned quite a few of the major ones, but will never master them all. I'm 78 and simply do not have the memory capabilities that I once possessed.

I usually place in my browser's search window "ABC airport code" and change "ABC" to "LHR" (London Heathrow), or whatever, and quickly find out the airport name and city/country. If necessary, I do this also for the airline codes. It is a bit of work, but it is necessary for me to do this in order to enjoy this site.

The feature on the old version of this site, already mentioned to you, was wonderful. Holding your cursor over an airport or airline code revealed the city or airline name. Alas, that feature was lost when the site was "improved" so to speak.

What did not improve was the rudeness and arrogance of a very small minority of persons who post here. Don't let them ruin your day, just ignore them (or visit their user profile and click on "Foe". Their postings will magically disappear.)

Until the old cursor-over feature is restored (if ever?) it would really be nice if members would spell out the airport or airline name on the first usage in their posts. It would make the site much more enjoyable for the many thousands of persons (sometimes called lurkers) who visit the site to read and learn but do not post because they feel they lack the expertise or geekiness to fit in. That is a shame, because it definitely is permitted to post here using only real English words and avoiding jargon or industry codes.

I hope that you will continue to participate here, and that you have a happy new year.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Loew

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:57 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Hiya,

today, an airline I have never ever heard about ("People's Viennaline") started ops on a 20 km route... Friedrichshafen (FDH, Germany) over Lake Constance to Altenrhein (ACH, Switzerland). They fly an Embraer 145, and the flight lasts for 8 minutes. A one-way trip is 40 €, and the plane continues to CGN.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20161102/worlds ... -takes-off

David

That particular flight between Vienna and Bratislava has never been used by anyone, nor is being used by anyone, because all flights and entire VIE - BTS - VIE route were cancelled before the first flight could take off. Frankly, there is no surprise there. Both Slovakia and Austria are in EU and both are in Schengen area as well. Road distance between the two is roughly 50km, and there is a mass of buses connecting BTS airport (Ryanair focus city) and Bratislava city with VIE, starting at 1 EUR o/w, trip takes about an hour. No airline can compete with that.

Slovakia is connected with VIE by air though as OS operates daily flight to KSC.

Leslieville

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 pm

YVR-SEA is a pretty short hop (127 miles) for a regularly scheduled international flight without 5th or 8th freedom rights.

Hypothetically, a YVR-BLI flight would be as little as 40 miles, but there is no scheduled service.

Extra hypothetically, a flight from YXX to BLI would be 18 miles, but no such service exists.

usflyer123

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:09 pm

TLV-AMM and SEA-YYJ are both very short, but I think both of them mainly serve connecting pax and not O&D.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

CanadaFair

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Bahrain-Dammam is short.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MOW

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 pm

KHV-FYJ is one of the shortest geographically - they are just 60 km apart. But due to entry point limitations in this part of Russian-Chinese border, the flight time is over 1 hour.

winGl3t

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:53 pm

MVD-AEP and MVD-EZE. 127mi/220km
Flown multiple times daily on E90 and CRJ. Also served by AF 772 on CDG-EZE-MVD route.

On a straight line SCL-MDZ is 122 mi/200km. Flown by LA and H2 on A320

b6sea

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:04 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
TLV-AMM and SEA-YYJ are both very short, but I think both of them mainly serve connecting pax and not O&D.

I reckon the SEA-YYJ route is 50/50 connecting and O&D. I've thought about it, and traveled to Victoria myself many times and it's surprisingly difficult to get to, so unless you want to spend a day in transit each way, flying is an attractive way to get between the two cities and there is quite a lot of traffic (esp. tourist, but also government) traveling between them.

For someone in Seattle:
-There's the MV Coho ferry via Port Angeles: ~4 hours to Port Angeles then the Coho across to Victoria
-Washington State Ferries: Drive to Anacortes and take the Washington State Ferries to Sidney (Seasonal)
-BC Ferries: Drive up to Tsawwassen taking the BC Ferries across to Swartz Bay after going through the border at Blaine,
The timing is all about the same ~6/7 hrs from Seattle

The best bet is the Victoria Clipper which goes from downtown Seattle to Victoria Inner Harbour (near the Coho's dock and the Empress Hotel) in about 2:45 but even that's a similar time as a flight from SEA-YYJ from check-in to curbside in Victoria, so I'd say flying is fairly competitive for O&D pax. Plus parking costs Downtown Seattle if you're going for a multi-day stay.

(keep in mind boats travel quite slowly compared to cars (maybe 1/2 to 1/3 as fast), so distances over water take more time to cover.)

JayBCNLON

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:12 pm

BobPatterson wrote:

LCKip, the person you refer to is not only rude and arrogant, but is also an ignoramus who doesn't know that whining is not spelled wining. If that person claims it was a simple typo, don't believe it.

No my response abobe is neither rude nor arrogant. LCKip wrote "Posting this way should be forbidden.", referring to using three-letter airport codes in this forum without translating them. I think that is just a bizarre and almost unreal demand to be made here, especially by someone who has only been here for a few months.

What is actually rude and arrogant is if a native English speaker such as you makes fun of a spelling error by a non-native speaker like me.

Having said that I have to say that my spelling error is quite humorous I believe :).

spinkid

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 pm

I too long for the days of being able to hover over an airport or airline code. Its the only way I was able to learn so many. It would seem like an easy fix. I've been begging for it for ages!!!

I've been to HKG airport a few times and while I recognize the "One china" policy I don't recall any separate boarding areas. There may be different immigration lines for nationalities, but even traveling to Macau involves a separate customs and immigration processing for a U.S. citizen like myself. If I went to Mainland China I'd have needed a visa.

nicode

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 pm

There is also RUN-MRU vv (France to Mauritius, 232km/144mi) flown by various aircraft : A332, A343, A3A9 and ATR with Air Mauritius, 747 (tag-on from ORY) with Corsair and 737, 77W, ATR with Air Austral.

skymiler

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:26 pm

IIRC, Allegheny once flew YYZ - BUF, 68 miles ... EA may have done the same, in an L-1011 yet!
I love to fly, and it shows!

s4popo

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 pm

How about FLL-BIM (61 miles) and MIA-BIM (64 miles) on Silver Airways?

B737900

Very well said. Thank you.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
LCKip wrote:
It's a pity that some people here are arrogant and narrow-minded. Instead you should be open minded and take in account that there are people interested in aviation but have not the knowledge and experience to understand those codes. And you should understand that those people are unable to learn those codes in a flash. A site like this should be usable for all aviation hobbyists and not just a group of experts and professionals.

I joined airliners.net a few months before you did and had (still have) the difficulty of not knowing the world airport and airline codes. I've learned quite a few of the major ones, but will never master them all. I'm 78 and simply do not have the memory capabilities that I once possessed.

I usually place in my browser's search window "ABC airport code" and change "ABC" to "LHR" (London Heathrow), or whatever, and quickly find out the airport name and city/country. If necessary, I do this also for the airline codes. It is a bit of work, but it is necessary for me to do this in order to enjoy this site.

The feature on the old version of this site, already mentioned to you, was wonderful. Holding your cursor over an airport or airline code revealed the city or airline name. Alas, that feature was lost when the site was "improved" so to speak.

What did not improve was the rudeness and arrogance of a very small minority of persons who post here. Don't let them ruin your day, just ignore them (or visit their user profile and click on "Foe". Their postings will magically disappear.)

Until the old cursor-over feature is restored (if ever?) it would really be nice if members would spell out the airport or airline name on the first usage in their posts. It would make the site much more enjoyable for the many thousands of persons (sometimes called lurkers) who visit the site to read and learn but do not post because they feel they lack the expertise or geekiness to fit in. That is a shame, because it definitely is permitted to post here using only real English words and avoiding jargon or industry codes.

I hope that you will continue to participate here, and that you have a happy new year.
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

LCKip

Re: Very well said. Thank you.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm

B737900 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
LCKip wrote:

Of course I don't stop using A.net because of a few people's 'behaviour'. I really don't care for that kind. The 'cursor' feature you describe should be fine but your solution works fine for me. That's really good advice!

HELyes

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Helsinki (HEL) - Tallinn (TLL) 55 nm (63 mi) between two capitals, served by Nordic Regional Airlines (Finnair) ATR-72, very little O&D traffic. In 2015 the route had 230,000 passengers.

The ferries between Helsinki and Tallinn carried more than eight million passengers in 2016, mainly Estonian commuters and Finnish tourists, making it one of the busiest sea routes in Europe. I wonder if air traffic could get a bigger share of this, there used to be more O&D when Estonian Air was competing with AY, there also was a scheduled helicopter service around 10 years ago. The last time I made a trip to Tallinn by air I paid EUR 50 for a last minute one way heli ride and EUR 30 for a ATR flight back to HEL.

LCKip

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:35 pm

HELyes wrote:
Helsinki (HEL) - Tallinn (TLL) 55 nm (63 mi) between two capitals, served by Nordic Regional Airlines (Finnair) ATR-72, very little O&D traffic. In 2015 the route had 230,000 passengers.

The ferries between Helsinki and Tallinn carried more than eight million passengers in 2016, mainly Estonian commuters and Finnish tourists, making it one of the busiest sea routes in Europe. I wonder if air traffic could get a bigger share of this, there used to be more O&D when Estonian Air was competing with AY, there also was a scheduled helicopter service around 10 years ago. The last time I made a trip to Tallinn by air I paid EUR 50 for a last minute one way heli ride and EUR 30 for a ATR flight back to HEL.

Thank you, that's a good example! You use the airport code as well as the airport name. Do you know all those codes or do you use a list or something from the internet?

HELyes

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 am

I remember those airport codes I'm more familiar with, mainly in Europe and Asia. There are so many I don't recognize, I do miss the "code translater" the old Anet had.

LCKip

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 am

HELyes wrote:
I remember those airport codes I'm more familiar with, mainly in Europe and Asia. There are so many I don't recognize, I do miss the "code translater" the old Anet had.

The good news is that this option is on the list for development but there is no date set. There was a discussion about this in the 'site related' forum and one of the moderatotrs informed us about that. There's hope for the future!