Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hjulicher
Topic Author

DL First Class Booking Classes

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:42 pm

I have a question regarding DL Booking Classes in First/Domestic...

I was looking online and I see that on the route DEN-DTW, there are 3 aircraft types... A319, A320 and MD90. (I specifically looked on Dec19).

Why does the MD90 have booking classes F, P, A, G, ... whereas the A319/A320 has J, C, D, I, Z..? Is the product different? The price for the A319/A320 product is significantly higher than on the MD-90. Is this an internal designation in which DL differentiates it's F/CL product based on aircraft type?

Thanks in advance.
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

Cubsrule

Re: DL First Class Booking Classes

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Does the Airbus service share a flight number with an international segment? That looks to be what's going on.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Stitch

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 pm

If DL fare codes are the same as UA, then J is full-fare Business Class (international) with C and D discounted Business class, so that could explain the much higher fare. As Cubsrule notes, the A319/A320 are probably "through flights" that share a flight number (but not aircraft) with an international segment from DTW (DTW-AMS?) so the J/C fares are present for those booking Business Class on DEN-AMS (via DTW), for example.

Usually such flights have F/A/P (Full / Discounted) domestic First fares, but it is possible those fare buckets have sold out and DL is only making the international Business Class fares available to ensure anyone booking DEN-AMS (for example) are in a premium cabin the entire way. It is possible closer in to the 19th they will open up additional F/A/P fare buckets on the A319/A320 flights if there are enough open seats.

DLSANMan

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm

You must be looking at Flight DL0098 (1 stop, ACFT change) to CDG. A, G, P are UP fares for domestic... IE.. you are booking in coach with an immediate upgrade.
J,I etc are "Business Class" Fares due to the flight number

hjulicher
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks for the replies....
UA and LH use the same booking classes so it does seem like the first set of letters, J, C, D, I, Z are for business class (i.e. domestic first). It seems a bit strange not to use an analogous systematic on domestic flights. DL1645 is not continuing on internationally, is A319 service, but uses the J, C, D, I, Z logic, whereas both DL916 and DL2409 (both MD90s) use F, P, A, G. The bit about being UP fares makes sense as the one-way fare in G was just $200.

Furthermore, it's amazing to see how ULCC competition really changes the landscape. One-way fares on a 3 hr segment are as low as $86.
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:01 am

DTW-DEN is a route that with the competition I'll buy first class with the G fares. Makes for a great, comfortable flight for only a minimal difference than coach fares. Its long enough that I'll pay a bit more to get the more comfortable seat, free drinks/food, and EQM bonus.

peanuts

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:46 am

Which website are you seeing this on?

michman

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:50 am

hjulicher wrote:
Thanks for the replies....
UA and LH use the same booking classes so it does seem like the first set of letters, J, C, D, I, Z are for business class (i.e. domestic first). It seems a bit strange not to use an analogous systematic on domestic flights. DL1645 is not continuing on internationally, is A319 service, but uses the J, C, D, I, Z logic, whereas both DL916 and DL2409 (both MD90s) use F, P, A, G. The bit about being UP fares makes sense as the one-way fare in G was just $200.

Furthermore, it's amazing to see how ULCC competition really changes the landscape. One-way fares on a 3 hr segment are as low as $86.

DL1645 is DEN-MSP, not DEN-DTW. Further, the F fares I am seeing are F/P/A/G fares, not J/C/D/I/Z. You shouldn't read anything into the use of these fare classes. In addition to domestic continuation flights, they are also used on JFK non-stop transcon flights and flights to Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America. Other than the JFK-SFO/LAX transcon's, none of these routes are Delta One routes and you should not expect anything other than domestic F seating and service.

davescj

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:09 pm

hjulicher wrote:
I have a question regarding DL Booking Classes in First/Domestic...

I was looking online and I see that on the route DEN-DTW, there are 3 aircraft types... A319, A320 and MD90. (I specifically looked on Dec19).

Why does the MD90 have booking classes F, P, A, G, ... whereas the A319/A320 has J, C, D, I, Z..? Is the product different? The price for the A319/A320 product is significantly higher than on the MD-90. Is this an internal designation in which DL differentiates it's F/CL product based on aircraft type?

Thanks in advance.

FPAG - all are domestic first class fares (F is full fair, AG are discounted, I think P is too).

JCDIZ - all are business fares (J full fare, Z - deep discount). As others stated, JCDIZ - all are business fares because the flight number continues on an international routing. However, there is not a change to the service (its all domestic F product).
Can I have a mojito on this flight?