Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Topic Author
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:55 am

I have flown on a 'Flight 1' before--TWA STL-HNL on a 741. I got to wondering about airlines and their Number Ones, why they were chosen, etc.

Trans Global's #1 wasn't mentioned although their #2--the Golden Argosy was Lincoln International-FCO. Shouldn't the outbound be #1 and the inbound #2? And Rome? Didn't TGA fly to LHR?

Anyhow...I spent some time on Flightaware:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1 makes perfect sense--but an A321? Times are a-changing.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1 why Singapore? I could dig Beijing, and definitely Tokyo, but why not SFO-JFK?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1 makes sense, but so much for the Atlanta heritage.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/HAL1 no brainer

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA1 I like this--make the congresscritters feel all warm and fuzzy.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1 Love to Hobby to Harlingen. Probably been the same route since 1972.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU1 Seems legit.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA1 Makes sense, though YYZ-YUL wouldn't be unusual.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFR1 Blocked!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH1 Makes sense, but I could see FRA-JFK.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM1 AMS-YVR--four years ago! and a MD-11!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFL1 I got nothing, and neither does Flightaware!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JAL1 As expected.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA1 Same here.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/LAN1 Go home, LAN--you're drunk...
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:21 am

QF 1 SYD-DXB-LHR, daily. Return flight is QF2, of course.
Just as an aside QF 3/4 is SYD-HNL & return, a remnant of the SYD-NAN-HNL-SFO flight.

Gemuser
 
dmanonice
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:09 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:23 am

WestJet has WS1 YYCLGW selected as it was the first destination outside of North America for WS operations out of YYC. It along with WS3 YYZLGW buck the convention of even numbers going eastbound.
Mike
 
rocketPower
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:26 am

Air Canada #1 can never be local because of their numbering structure. Low numbers are international. I flew that flight recently, it was a 789. Comfy in P.
rocketPower

Life is about enjoying being uncomfortable. If you're complacent, something is wrong!
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6607
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:27 am

UA 1 is the longest flight in the UA network, so it's what passes for a "prestige" route in these days where there are no prestige routes.

I've flown AS 1 many times. The number was definitely chosen to kiss up to the congresscritters who provided the slot exemptions. AS 1-6 are all DCA flights.
 
User avatar
seat55a
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:42 am

NZ1 and 2 LHR LAX AKL and reverse. Westbound is odd numbered by convention.
 
FlyUSAir
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:26 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:54 am

Interesting to note that AA1 is still around yet has been involved in two separate fatal crashes, AA Flight 1 a DC-3 flying NYC-BUF-CHI-DTW crashed over Canada killing 20, and AA Flight 1 a 707 flying NYC-LAX crashed in Jamaica Bay killing 95.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400
 
benbeny
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:08 am

Garuda callsign is 'Indonesia', GIA 001 is reserved for presidential flight only.
AFR 001 is retired since Concorde is done. It used to be JFK-CDG.
 
hinckley
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:13 am

I flew MH1, an A380, from LHR to KUL the same day that MH370 disappeared.
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2265
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:36 am

benbeny wrote:
Garuda callsign is 'Indonesia', GIA 001 is reserved for presidential flight only.
.


Same with Air India AI1
 
rmp1kxk
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:53 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:37 am

5X 1 is the longest flight segment UPS flies, a 744 from CGN to HKG, 4,978 miles, but does not seem to track on flight aware.
FX 1 is a 77L from MEM to STN, a little bit shorter at 4,561 miles, http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX1
 
steex
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 am

BN727227Ultra wrote:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1 why Singapore? I could dig Beijing, and definitely Tokyo, but why not SFO-JFK?


The most obvious answer is that UA doesn't fly to JFK at all, so that's out. I guess they could apply it to SFO-EWR, but that doesn't seem nearly as prestigious or exotic as SFO-SIN to me.

BN727227Ultra wrote:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/LAN1 Go home, LAN--you're drunk...


I think FlightAware is the one which is drunk here, technically. While the FAA has assigned Pontiac, Illinois the 3-character PNT identifier, IATA gave that identifier to Puerto Natales, Chile (ICAO: SCNT). FlightAware is getting the two confused.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:02 am

LA1 is actually to Puerto Natales, Chile from Santiago. You'd think that LATAM 1 would either be to São Paulo or Lima with the pan-national branding (on 787?)
-Andrés Juánez
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1302
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:04 am

In my early years in the business, working the last commuter flight into SMF from SFO, I used to always take bag reports for misconnects from Pam Am PA1...JFK-SFO. Often the bags stayed onboard PA1 continuing to Asia... NRT and SIN, IIRC, but that was 1979-1980, so don't trust my memory. (The other regular misconnect was National NA 45 MIA-SFO. So when PA and NA merged, well..... )
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
33lspotter
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:22 am

BAW1 is the LCY-SNN-JFK A318. I get the aspect of an All-J flight being unique, but I personally would love for it to be an LHR-JFK nonstop.
 
benbeny
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:42 am

33lspotter wrote:
BAW1 is the LCY-SNN-JFK A318. I get the aspect of an All-J flight being unique, but I personally would love for it to be an LHR-JFK nonstop.

I think the main purpose of LCY-JFK is to cater businesspeople with service directly to the center of the city, which is defeated by LHR/STN-JFK... Of course you cannot take off with fuel fuel from LCY, so westbound flight must stop in SNN (and for custom preclearance).
 
User avatar
LatAmFlyer
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:53 am

.
Last edited by LatAmFlyer on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
LatAmFlyer
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Re:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:04 am

ahj2000 wrote:
LA1 is actually to Puerto Natales, Chile from Santiago. You'd think that LATAM 1 would either be to São Paulo or Lima with the pan-national branding (on 787?)


Everyone's clamoring to trek in Patagonia (like me). Maybe it's LA's effort to pump even more tourist dollars/pesos in that area, and they're finding that prestige of the LA1 designator is giving the area more visibility?
 
33lspotter
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:25 am

benbeny wrote:
I think the main purpose of LCY-JFK is to cater businesspeople with service directly to the center of the city, which is defeated by LHR/STN-JFK... Of course you cannot take off with fuel fuel from LCY, so westbound flight must stop in SNN (and for custom preclearance).


Very much understand the logistics of the flight...I just think it'd make sense to have an LHR-JFK for flight 1 in particular. IIRC BAW1 used to be the westbound Concorde.
 
KiloRomeoDelta
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:40 am

Related, which airport sees the maximum number of "Flight 1s"? For example, SFO gets four Flight 1s-
1. UA 001 SFO-SIN
2. JL 001 SFO-HND
3. SQ 001 SFO-HKG-SIN
4. VX 001 SFO-DCA
 
alggag
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:42 am

BN727227Ultra wrote:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1 Love to Hobby to Harlingen. Probably been the same route since 1972.


The DAL-HOU portion probably has been. Harlingen was not one of the original cities however.
 
User avatar
SFOA380
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:35 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:44 am

How about which airports serve the most flights 1&2... must be either JFK or LHR... SFO has four: UA SFO-SIN, SQ SFO-HKG-SIN, JL SFO-HND & VX SFO- DCA...
 
steex
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:32 am

SFOA380 wrote:
How about which airports serve the most flights 1&2... must be either JFK or LHR... SFO has four: UA SFO-SIN, SQ SFO-HKG-SIN, JL SFO-HND & VX SFO- DCA...


This may not be an exhaustive list, but I'm seeing at least 8 applicable flights at LHR (9 depending on your feelings about the caveat below):

BG1 DAC-LHR
DL1 LHR-JFK
EK1 DXB-LHR
*GF2 LHR-BAH
MH1 LHR-KUL
NZ1 LHR-LAX-AKL
QF1 SYD-DXB-LHR
QR1 DOH-LHR
VS1 LHR-EWR

*Gulf Airways doesn't operate a Flight 1, but they utilize their lowest pair (2 & 3) on LHR flights.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:36 am

Gemuser wrote:
QF 1 SYD-DXB-LHR, daily. Return flight is QF2, of course.
Just as an aside QF 3/4 is SYD-HNL & return, a remnant of the SYD-NAN-HNL-SFO flight.

Gemuser


Interesting pattern with the QF flights is how they alternate west/east

QF1/2 - SYD-LHR
QF3/4 - SYD-HNL (formerly to SFO)
QF5/6 - SYD-SIN (formerly to LHR)
QF7/8 - SYD-DFW
QF9/10 - MEL-LHR
QF11/12 - SYD-LAX
QF13/14 doesnt exist (im assuming because of the 13
QF15/16 - BNE-LAX

From here it doesnt comply with the pattern

QF17/18 - SYD-LAX
QF19/20 - SYD-MNL

etc etc
 
ZincSaucier
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:53 am

BN727227Ultra wrote:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1 makes perfect sense--but an A321? Times are a-changing.


True, but those 321T's are pretty nice...
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4372
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:14 pm

Some more number ones:

Ryanair 1: London Stansted - Dublin (as expected, connecting their two major hubs)

Lufthansa 1: Hamburg - Frankfurt

Transavia 1: Minneapolis St. Paul - Minneapolis St. Paul (very odd since Transavia never flew there)

Norwegian 1: Oslo - London Gatwick

Wizzair 1: Milan Bergamo - Bucharest

EasyJet 1: St. Mawgan - Newquay (same airport, but renamed)

SAS 1: Lulea - Stockholm

Jet2 1: Leeds Bradford - Amsterdam

LOT Polish Airlines 1: Warsaw - Chicago
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:09 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
LOT Polish Airlines 1: Warsaw - Chicago


Thats interesting, I wonder why its not NY. More Polish living in Chicago?
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:41 pm

qf2220 wrote:

Interesting pattern with the QF flights is how they alternate west/east

QF1/2 - SYD-LHR
QF3/4 - SYD-HNL (formerly to SFO)
QF5/6 - SYD-SIN (formerly to LHR)
QF7/8 - SYD-DFW
QF9/10 - MEL-LHR
QF11/12 - SYD-LAX
QF13/14 doesnt exist (im assuming because of the 13
QF15/16 - BNE-LAX

From here it doesnt comply with the pattern

QF17/18 - SYD-LAX
QF19/20 - SYD-MNL

etc etc


QF do not number their international flights (QF1-QF499) based on east/west direction, rather, on being outbound from or inbound to Australia.

Outbound flights are odd-numbered; inbound flights back to Australia are even-numbered. So QF 1 is outbound to London, QF2 inbound back to Sydney.

I am not certain how it works for domestic flight numbers, QF500 and above.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:25 am

Interestingly, AFR2 - AFR12 are all flights between JFK and CDG. Some of them are very recent, and some are from up to 13 years ago (AFR2), and 8 years ago (AFR4). The last flight (on flightaware) of AFR3 was in March of 2016.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:47 am

vhtje wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Interesting pattern with the QF flights is how they alternate west/east

QF1/2 - SYD-LHR
QF3/4 - SYD-HNL (formerly to SFO)
QF5/6 - SYD-SIN (formerly to LHR)
QF7/8 - SYD-DFW
QF9/10 - MEL-LHR
QF11/12 - SYD-LAX
QF13/14 doesnt exist (im assuming because of the 13
QF15/16 - BNE-LAX

From here it doesnt comply with the pattern

QF17/18 - SYD-LAX
QF19/20 - SYD-MNL

etc etc


QF do not number their international flights (QF1-QF499) based on east/west direction, rather, on being outbound from or inbound to Australia.

Outbound flights are odd-numbered; inbound flights back to Australia are even-numbered. So QF 1 is outbound to London, QF2 inbound back to Sydney.

I am not certain how it works for domestic flight numbers, QF500 and above.


Yep im aware of the outbound/inbound - but there is definately a pattern (coincidental or not) of west/east in the first few flight number pairs which i find interesting.
 
User avatar
angusjt
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:48 am

SCO1/TZ1 - SYD-SIN (first ever route operated by Scoot)
VOZ1/VA1 - SYD-LAX
 
balair863
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:16 pm

FlyUSAir wrote:
Interesting to note that AA1 is still around yet has been involved in two separate fatal crashes, AA Flight 1 a DC-3 flying NYC-BUF-CHI-DTW crashed over Canada killing 20, and AA Flight 1 a 707 flying NYC-LAX crashed in Jamaica Bay killing 95.


American 1 used to be "The Mercury", American's prestige flight from NYC-LAX. Great YouTube documentary on it with a DC-7 being used.
 
Joelatbsl
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:51 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:30 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Ryanair 1: London Stansted - Dublin (as expected, connecting their two major hubs)


FR1 is being used for Learjet 45 M-ABEU that tends to shuttle around crews, technicians or management when required ...
 
User avatar
Btblue
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:57 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Flew BA1 London City to JFK in 2012 but to have flown BA1 Heathrow to JFK I guess was the ultimate of the flight number 1, designated as it meant a ride on concorde. I do not think any other flight matches it. To have concorde BA1 on your list of flights is tops.
 
User avatar
CrimsonNL
Posts: 2153
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Sun Express has XQ1 on AYT-FRA

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine
 
User avatar
xaapb
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:46 pm

AM flight 1 from MEX to MAD

Greetings.
Jorge Meneses
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3903
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:34 am

UA flight #1 used to be ORD/HNL on a 747. Took it twice back in the late 80's
 
User avatar
UgandAir
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Flight number 1:

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:34 pm

33lspotter wrote:
BAW1 is the LCY-SNN-JFK A318. I get the aspect of an All-J flight being unique, but I personally would love for it to be an LHR-JFK nonstop.


It's harking back to the exclusive nature of the concorde flights, which were BAW001. As somebody who has flown on the new BAW001 A318, it does feel 'special', especially because of the Concorde heritage, the small almost private-like experience, and the low flight number just puts the cherry on top of the bakewell!
 
FlyboyOz
Posts: 1764
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:05 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:29 am

Cathay Pacific starts CX 100/101 (pax flight) between HKG and SYD. CX 1 is for cargo flight though.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach
 
User avatar
unrave
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:37 am

Re: Flight number 1:

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:01 am

Spicejet flight number 1 is a daily midnight Chennai - Colombo service on a Q400. Wonder if any other airline operates a flight number 1 on a turboprop
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Avgeek21 and 9 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos