User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Topic Author
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:18 pm

The title says it all really. BA32 arrives at LHR daily at 04:45 and BA28 follows at 04:55. Why are these flights scheduled so close together?

Similarly, flights BA16 and BA12 from Singapore arrive within 20 minutes of each other each morning (though BA16 originates at SYD).
 
republican
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 am

Slots
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2371
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:12 am

Time zone differences between the origin and destination and curfews at either airport.
 
User avatar
Coal
Posts: 2524
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:14 am

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:08 am

Most departures to Europe from SIN are in the evening, so it makes sense that they both depart at night. They depart fairly late so I don't think they'd be much to gain from having them leave at a wider time gap. Also, I figure it's cheaper to get all those pax checked in almost together. Probably more efficient and reduces the time BA has to pay SATS (or Dnata) for the ground agents they need.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN
 
CPDC10-30
Posts: 4688
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2000 4:30 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Coal wrote:
Most departures to Europe from SIN are in the evening, so it makes sense that they both depart at night. They depart fairly late so I don't think they'd be much to gain from having them leave at a wider time gap. Also, I figure it's cheaper to get all those pax checked in almost together. Probably more efficient and reduces the time BA has to pay SATS (or Dnata) for the ground agents they need.


It really is a pain that AA and BA don't have an agreement with CX for check-in at HKG. Seems silly to have their own contracted services when CX has huge economies of scale.

Frequently you will see pax queued up at the BA check-in desks an hour before they even open.
 
n729pa
Posts: 1095
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:02 pm

It's the same kind of thing with one or two European airline/services too. Air France for example LHR-CDG ...AF1081 A320 departs 06:20, AF1381 A319 departs 06:40

Slots are key these days. Obviously nothing to do with time zones on this route, but interesting none the less.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2371
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:31 pm

n729pa wrote:
It's the same kind of thing with one or two European airline/services too. Air France for example LHR-CDG ...AF1081 A320 departs 06:20, AF1381 A319 departs 06:40

Slots are key these days. Obviously nothing to do with time zones on this route, but interesting none the less.


Both 06:20 and 06:40 are part of the morning rush hour. Lots of businessmen would be flying at those times to get from London to Paris before the start of the business day. Consider also that Paris despite the short distance is on Central European Time which is an hour ahead of GMT or BST.
 
n729pa
Posts: 1095
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
n729pa wrote:
It's the same kind of thing with one or two European airline/services too. Air France for example LHR-CDG ...AF1081 A320 departs 06:20, AF1381 A319 departs 06:40

Slots are key these days. Obviously nothing to do with time zones on this route, but interesting none the less.


Both 06:20 and 06:40 are part of the morning rush hour. Lots of businessmen would be flying at those times to get from London to Paris before the start of the business day. Consider also that Paris despite the short distance is on Central European Time which is an hour ahead of GMT or BST.



What is interesting is that these flights are daily and that Air France don't use larger equipment when the demand is there. I'm was aware of the business connections and time difference, being in LHR, I've used these flights myself. But I guess it's a matter of having the slots, then having to use them in order to maintain, if on a Sunday it means only 10 people turn up so be it. Similar thing can be seen LHR-MAD where they are rattling off in quick succession, IB have two flights within 30 minutes for example, and one of those is a A330/A340
 
airbazar
Posts: 9581
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 pm

n729pa wrote:
What is interesting is that these flights are daily and that Air France don't use larger equipment when the demand is there. [...] Similar thing can be seen LHR-MAD where they are rattling off in quick succession, IB have two flights within 30 minutes for example, and one of those is a A330/A340

Completely different situations.
Generaly 2x "A320" are cheaper to operate than 1x A330, so whenever possible that is how an airline wants to operate.
IB's evening departures are 5:10p, 6:30p, 7:20p so not exactly 30 mins apart and Madrid by train is not a feasible option.
 
n729pa
Posts: 1095
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm

airbazar wrote:
n729pa wrote:
What is interesting is that these flights are daily and that Air France don't use larger equipment when the demand is there. [...] Similar thing can be seen LHR-MAD where they are rattling off in quick succession, IB have two flights within 30 minutes for example, and one of those is a A330/A340

Completely different situations.
Generaly 2x "A320" are cheaper to operate than 1x A330, so whenever possible that is how an airline wants to operate.
IB's evening departures are 5:10p, 6:30p, 7:20p so not exactly 30 mins apart and Madrid by train is not a feasible option.



Departures tomorrow night from LHR, for example...
IB3171 departs 17:10
IB3167 departs 18:30
IB3179 departs 18:50 .....(20 mins later)
IB3173 departs 19:20 .....(30 mins later)

From MAD-LHR tomorrow...
IB3166 departs 15:50,
IB3164 departs 16:40 and
IB3180 departs 17:05

courtesy of http://www.iberia.com

Last time I looked 16:40-17:05 was 25 minutes

What has a train got to do with this discussion?
 
Cipango
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:30 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
The title says it all really. BA32 arrives at LHR daily at 04:45 and BA28 follows at 04:55. Why are these flights scheduled so close together?

Similarly, flights BA16 and BA12 from Singapore arrive within 20 minutes of each other each morning (though BA16 originates at SYD).


The reason is because this is when the demand is highest for HKG-Europe flights.

From London to Hong Kong Kong, the 2 daily departures are at different times. This is to maximise connecting flights to HKG and also to satisfy the different markets ex-London.

These aircraft stay on the ground for 6-10 hours in HKG as the yield earned in the return leg departing overnight outweighs the yield earned for a daytime flight to London.

Both BA HKG-LHR flights are very full in premium cabins as business men and women sleep overnight and often go to work upon arrival.

This is the same reason for the JNB and CPT routes which also have long layover times.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2371
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Cipango wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
The title says it all really. BA32 arrives at LHR daily at 04:45 and BA28 follows at 04:55. Why are these flights scheduled so close together?

Similarly, flights BA16 and BA12 from Singapore arrive within 20 minutes of each other each morning (though BA16 originates at SYD).


The reason is because this is when the demand is highest for HKG-Europe flights.

From London to Hong Kong Kong, the 2 daily departures are at different times. This is to maximise connecting flights to HKG and also to satisfy the different markets ex-London.

These aircraft stay on the ground for 6-10 hours in HKG as the yield earned in the return leg departing overnight outweighs the yield earned for a daytime flight to London.

Both BA HKG-LHR flights are very full in premium cabins as business men and women sleep overnight and often go to work upon arrival.

This is the same reason for the JNB and CPT routes which also have long layover times.


And this is related to the length of the flights and the time difference between the origin and destination.
 
hz747300
Posts: 2355
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:18 am

I know it seems silly, but in the end it is what works best. Every so often BA adds a daytime flight to LHR from HKG but now seems to leave that up to CX which typically has departures to LHR at 9:40am, 12:15pm, 3:05pm, 11:55pm and 12:55am. Sometimes one of the day flights is moved to the night, so for example the 12:15pm flight becomes 12:20am or 1:20am, and so on.

Think about it, many times on any given evening, there are between 3-5 77Ws and 1 A380 heading out to LHR just between CX and BA all within a couple of hours!!!! Then there is Virgin and CX to LGW, which is before you discuss any of the one hops.
Keep on truckin'...
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: Why does BA schedule 2 HKG-LHR flights within 10mins of each other?

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:59 pm

What about 18 mins difference on a daily basis?

Panama City, PA (PTY)->Sao Paulo, BR (GRU)
CM800 3:24PM 12:30AM+1
CM725 3:42PM 12:45AM+1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fiend, zakuivcustom and 6 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos