ZeeZoo
Topic Author

What was/is considered the best of the British Airways "World Tails"?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:47 pm

BA World Cargo with the Chelsea Rose tail was special.

MrHMSH

Re: What was/is considered the best of the British Airways "World Tails"?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:08 pm

The Tartan tail sticks in my mind, but if BA had to choose one logo and stick with it, the Chelsea Rose probably would have been the best. I like the design of it.

What I think BA should do is bring back Landor and Negus retro liveries.

Fitlikemin

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Yes, if you were to choose one, the Rose would have it.

GBNWB

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:17 pm

I guess BA thought the best one was the then "Chatham Historic Dockyard" tail which letter was changed ever so slightly into the current BA livery.

My personal favourite was "Bloomsterang" which was on G-BNWU and others at the time.

I have a fuselage section of 747-400 G-BNLC displayed on my wall at home with a model of the same aircraft in the Irish tail below it so that obviously has a special place in my mind too. http://www.lockonaviation.net/html/show ... hp?id=3498

They can all be found here... http://www.lockonaviation.net/html/flee ... ortname=ba

cpd

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 pm

The Olympic team one was very nice too - reminds me of SUVELO actually (Sydney Uni's cycling club logo).

Nalanji Dreaming was nice as well, but it looked better in the full version on the Qantas 747-300. Chelsea Rose is also timeless. The Indian design is also nice.

tonystan

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:52 am

The Celtic tail was always my favourite, not at all biased lol
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

climbing230

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:04 pm

My favorite was ''Column Livery" and i also remember having this cabin baggage tag in the same livery :) awesome.
Wings take you higher

BobPatterson

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:39 pm

I love the two designs by Danula Wojda of Lowicz, Poland. They are:

Cockerel of Lowicz

Flowers of Mazowsze

There are also other designs that I like very much. A problem though is that all of the many designs used in the Utopia or World Art program appeared in several versions, sometimes depending on type of aircraft, and they did not all look equally well in all usages.

I especially liked the vibrant colors and rich detail employed by the Polish artist.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

FlyingColours

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:44 pm

The full list is available on Wikipedia, via this link :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_ethnic_liveries

In hindsight there were a fair few that I liked, I preferred Bennyhone (the Tartan livery) and Ndebele the most.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

bunumuring

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Hey guys,
I love the British Airways world tails and collect 1/400 die cast models of them. I have 16 of the 28 'major' tail designs, and some more than once.
I am biased towards the Aussie designs but other favourites include Chelsea Rose, Paithani, Crossing Borders, Bauhus and the Hong Kong/China one.
Does anyone know anything about the world tails designs still 'under construction' when the decision was made to drop the idea? I have heard a few rumours of a Maori New Zealand design being worked on at the time, with additional ones from Thailand, Mexico and Brazil being speculated about just before the decision was made to stop the rollout. Anyone know how accurate these rumours were?
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

VC10er

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I remember all the flack and bad press, I know all the reasons why it was so derided and at the time agreed with most of the complaints, but now that so many years have passed- in retrospect -it actually was rather nice to see a truly GLOBAL airline celebrate all the places they fly to and connect "people and cultures" the miracle of flight.

I most preferred the Tartan, I hated the USA most.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

VS11

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:34 pm

VC10er wrote:
I remember all the flack and bad press, I know all the reasons why it was so derided and at the time agreed with most of the complaints, but now that so many years have passed- in retrospect -it actually was rather nice to see a truly GLOBAL airline celebrate all the places they fly to and connect "people and cultures" the miracle of flight.

Exactly. The tails were a true testament to the global nature of BA. I loved them so much for a Virgin Atlantic die-hard :-) and I was very disappointed to see them go.

skipness1E

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Being global doesn't have the same impact as local marketing, never did. Pretentious much?
Blue Poole was awful, some looked like a child had painted them. Remember some were modern art by local artists, not ideal for branding a multi national business.

It should be noted that Chelsea Rose, Mountain of the Birds/Benyhone, Colum/Dove and Chatham Historic Dockyard were favourites, all had a common theme.....

ClassicLover

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:39 pm

I thought they were a very bold experiment really. The only other airlines I can think of with tail variations are Frontier and the animals and now Norwegian with the different people on the tails. The world tails were certainly very interesting and as I like art, it was great to see something different around the place rather than the same old same old.

I never understood why people in the UK hated them so very much. Then again, I suppose if Qantas removed the Kangaroo and went for world images the reaction would be somewhat the same, so maybe I do understand after all :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

vv701

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Three of the tail designs were competition winners, The competition was sponsored by BA and used the Sunday Times newspaper as the promotional media,

The winner of the Art Student category was a mature student studying textile design, Pierce Casey, with his 'Chelsea Rose' design, This design was very popular with BA. It was painted on 23 different aircraft even though it did not appear until around one year after the start of the short life of World Images..

Twelve year old Simon Balwin won the children's section with 'British Blend#. This depicted a tea cup containing the national emblems of the four home nations. It was painted on a single 320, G-BUSI. As an aside this was the only aircraft to carry more than two World Images if we include 'Union Flag'. As an experiment it was decaled (not painted) with the Danish 'Wings' design.

The final competition category was for BA employees. There were around 400 entries in this section. It was won by FA Morag Dumitru, a Romanian, with 'Primavaria' ('Spring'). It was painted on a single aircraft, 752 G-BIKY. It was derived from a hand embroidered tablecloth.

spahrtan

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:26 pm

I've always considered Chelsea Rose one of the best World Tails.

Another tail, that some may say is lacking in color, is the Rendezvous/Hong Kong tail. I appreciate the simplicity of it and thought it looked wonderful on the 744.

I wish BA would bring back something like World Tails. Maybe a design on the nose, or side. I personally loved the idea of the World Tails.

BobPatterson

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:16 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
I thought they were a very bold experiment really. The only other airlines I can think of with tail variations are Frontier and the animals and now Norwegian with the different people on the tails. The world tails were certainly very interesting and as I like art, it was great to see something different around the place rather than the same old same old.

I never understood why people in the UK hated them so very much. Then again, I suppose if Qantas removed the Kangaroo and went for world images the reaction would be somewhat the same, so maybe I do understand after all :)

Three of the BA tails dealt with Australian aboriginal art. In two of those cases (Nalanji Dreaming and Wunala Dreaming) the artwork first appeared on Qantas aircraft full bodies, the tails still being reserved for the roos. Later, Qantas added two more to the series which was well received in Australia.

Elsewhere, there have been a fair number of airlines who have used local/national art on tails.

PIA used 4 Pakistani provincial designs, each of them appearing on 4-8 aircraft named for cities within the Province.

More recently (2005-2009), Air India Express placed unique artwork on both sides of 25 brand new 777 tails (50 designs) honoring cultures and architecture throughout India.

JetBlue has come out with about 20 different tail designs, mainly blue and mainly geometric patterns.

The now-defunct Mexicana de Aviación also used 11 different native Mexican designs/patterns (at least 22 color variations) on tails of a fairly substantial fleet.

Air Austral from Réunion Island continues to add to their collection of scenic tails (about a dozen so far).

Pacific Coastal Airlines (British Columbia) thus far has a collection of about 20 tail designs featuring wildlife and local industries.

Other airlines that have or had interesting tail art collections include Island Air (Hawaii), Mahalo Air (Hawaii 1993-1997), Great Lakes Airlines (USA), First Air (Canada), Nature Air (Costa Rica), Japan Airlines (JALways Reso'cha series) and Pluna (Uruguay ca. 2007-2012).

There are others that I have not had time to catalog.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

vv701

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:47 pm

spahrtan wrote:
I've always considered Chelsea Rose one of the best World Tails.

Another tail, that some may say is lacking in color, is the Rendezvous/Hong Kong tail. I appreciate the simplicity of it and thought it looked wonderful on the 744.

The evidence suggests that BA insiders had similar thoughts.

Of course the 'Rendezvous' image was a (Chinese) script image primarily displaying the character for 'wind'. So the first point is that the right side of the tail could not be the laterally reversed image of the left side as on all other designs worn by BA aircraft. (There was a similar situation on Air Liberte aircraft painted with their 'L;Espirit Liberte' image that included words in Latin script.)

This caused a problem as to where to locate the artist's red seal. The potential starkness of the image means that the slope of the characters on the right side is greater than on the left side. Anyway, the net result was that some aircraft had the seal forward of the black Chinese characters on both sides, others with it forward on one side behind on the other.

It seems probable that for the same reason the initial white background to the 'Rendezvous' image was abandoned, On 757 G-BMRH the tail was a light yellow / cream colour (representing the colour of the parchment of the original art work). Later on 772 G-VIIT the background was changed to a feint enlarged fawn coloured image of the main Chinese characters. Finally on 757s G-BIKI and 'KN, two of the last aircraft to be painted in World Image colours, the same background image was used but in a bright but light pink colour.

Despite the above changes the 'Rendezvous' image was popular with BA. It appeared on 21 airliners (as well as BA Flying Club Piper PA-28 G-BNCR). These airliners included two Sun-Air of Scandinavia Jetstream 31s (OY-SVP and 'VR), a BMed A320 (G-MEDB) and a British Regional BAe ATP (G-MANO) as well as one of their DHC-8s (G-BRYY).

TN486

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:21 am

Something from left field. I loved all of those tails. I believe they disappeared due to the not so subtle comments and actions by the then PM Thatcher. However, I feel it would have been much more acceptable if part of the fuselage of each ac had carried these designs as opposed to the tail. e.g QF had/has some excellent fuselage designs and have always kept the tail design the same, the Kangaroo, cheers
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back