Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UnitedFlyer
Topic Author

Upgrade on award ticket

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Being new to Business Class award travel, My wife and I made a UA Business Class awards reservation from MFR-YYT. The booking was 50,000 points each for a total of 100,000 points. Our original routing was MFR-SFO-YYZ-YOW-YYT. The MFR-SFO was Economy because there was no Business Class offered. SFO-YYZ and YYZ-YOW was Business Class on AC. For some reason we were unable to get business class on the AC flight from YOW-YYT and we were placed in Economy.

Then, the AC YOW-YYT flight was moved to such a time to make a connection impossible. I called UA reservations and was connected to an offshore call center (as usual). After argument and some insistence from the agent I was told I would have to pay money due to a lack of award seats, I finally talked my way into MFR-DEN-YYZ-YYT with an 8 hour layover in YYZ.

The MFR-DEN segment is Economy Class due to a lack of a Business Class. DEN-YYZ is Business Class, but YYZ-YYT again I could only get Economy. I have many attempts to upgrade the YYZ-YYT to Business but every time I call UA reservations (always offshore) I get a different answer such as the flight is impossible to upgrade, I need 200,000 more points to upgrade, which is absolutely ridiculous, or I need to call AC. I call AC and they tell me to call UA. Other times I explain what I want and I get placed on hold and then the call gets dropped.

Is there anyone I can talk to at UA who can give me a straight answer on how I can upgrade this segment? I understand not being an elite, my options may be more difficult. I also understand since I was booked in Economy in the first place, perhaps my options are truly limited. But I need a straight answer from somebody at UA who knows what they are talking about....

Can anyone help?

NYC2SFO

Re: Upgrade on award ticket

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 pm

if you have Twitter, try sending a tweet to @united. They can probably direct you, and my experience has been, that is the best way to get directed to the right division

UnitedFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Thank you for the response! I was able to get some answers through the United Facebook page. :)

UnitedFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Thank you for the response! I was able to get some answers through the United Facebook page. :)