afcjets
Topic Author

What airports in US still have airline logos on jetways?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

I realize it is a great source of revenue to allow HSBC or some other company to advertise on jetways but I think it is extremely tacky and preferred when most jetways had the airline logo on them. The airport logos don't bother me as much, but still prefer the airline logo over that when they are not CUTE gates. I am not even sure when they first began to disappear in the US. I don't travel much anymore I am hoping there are some airports out there that still have an airline name on jetways.

Vctony

Re: What airports in US still have airline logos on jetways?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:25 pm

PHX does.

Sperl19

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:28 pm

FLL did as of last week.

ScottB

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:33 pm

afcjets wrote:
I realize it is a great source of revenue to allow HSBC or some other company to advertise on jetways but I think it is extremely tacky and preferred when most jetways had the airline logo on them. The airport logos don't bother me as much, but still prefer the airline logo over that when they are not CUTE gates. I am not even sure when they first began to disappear in the US. I don't travel much anymore I am hoping there are some airports out there that still have an airline name on jetways.

In the U.S., at least, advertisements from companies like HSBC seem to be the exception, rather than the rule. While you see the HSBC ads at both JFK & EWR, LGA still has airline logos on jetways. If memory serves, all the Delta hubs in the U.S. apart from JFK have DL's logo on DL's gates.

ikramerica

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm

HSBC is on the verge of collapse if they don't cut costs and change strategies. So you might not see those much longer.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ahj2000

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Many still do AFAIK CLT does for sure. CUTE hasn't caught on nearly as much here as in Europe, for example
-Andrés Juánez

edmountain

Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 pm

ikramerica wrote:
HSBC is on the verge of collapse if they don't cut costs and change strategies. So you might not see those much longer.

Hyperbole much? HSBC is nowhere near collapse, it's profitable to the tune of US$7.1 billion (yes, billion with a B) in 2016.

Now that's a big drop in profit from 2015 and there are concerns about future growth so the share price--which had run up--is getting corrected. But that's not a collapse!

GSPSPOT

Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:59 pm

MKE still has airline logos on them.
Great Lakes, great life.

KiloRomeoDelta

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:04 pm

I want to present a radically different opinion- I don't like either advertiser logos or airline logos on jetways. Why can we not have more transparent jetways so I can actually see the plane I am boarding! I love that most new airports in Asia at least are going for transparent jetways.

GSPSPOT

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:08 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
I want to present a radically different opinion- I don't like either advertiser logos or airline logos on jetways. Why can we not have more transparent jetways so I can actually see the plane I am boarding! I love that most new airports in Asia at least are going for transparent jetways.

I've asked that question ad nauseum. Most answers relate to either cost or security.
Great Lakes, great life.

flyoregon

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:13 pm

PDX does on gates that are leased by the airlines. I don't think their is anything on common use gates.

carlokiii

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:38 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

I've asked that question ad nauseum. Most answers relate to either cost or security.

I get how it is cost-prohibitive but I wonder how a glass jet bridge would cause a security issue that a 'regular' one with windows wouldn't. Almost all new airports/terminals I've been to all have glass jet bridges anyway, so I bet it's mostly about costs.

737max8

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Pretty sure WN has logos on jet bridges all over the place in the USA.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

bradyj23

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 pm

IDA! Common use gates too. Delta on one side United on the other. The other gate has Allegiant on one side. Can't remember what's on the other side.

727LOVER

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:21 pm

afcjets wrote:

I believe most airports still do, in the USA at least. One exception is MIA

By the way, as far as DL goes. I believe every time they changed liveries, they changed the logo on the jetway. I have not yet seen the new AA logo on a jetway.

Speaking of jetway....is that what it is called? I thought that was a company name.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

VS4ever

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:28 pm

here's a shot of BOS terminal A that shows the DL logos on the side of their jetways, if you look at the satellite gates on the left side of the picture

http://philip.greenspun.com/images/2011 ... al-a.4.jpg
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

IADCA

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:29 pm

edmountain wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

Hyperbole much? HSBC is nowhere near collapse, it's profitable to the tune of US$7.1 billion (yes, billion with a B) in 2016.

Now that's a big drop in profit from 2015 and there are concerns about future growth so the share price--which had run up--is getting corrected. But that's not a collapse!

This is totally off-topic, but I'd never trust what a bank actually lists as its operating profits as an accurate indicator of its financial health. There are infinite ways to mask actual cashflow problems with accounting tricks, and nobody has better access to the financing and deal flows necessary to do that than a company with a major in-house investment bank.

VirginFlyer

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:29 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Speaking of jetway....is that what it is called? I thought that was a company name.

In our part of the world, we call them airbridges or aerobridges.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Northwest1988

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 pm

I know SHV still has them for Delta. And it's a pretty small operation there. On the flip side, Southwest at GSP does not have jetway signage.

CollegeAviator

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Delta's parade at MSP ensures that all concourses barring Concourse E (UA/AA/Spirit/Frontier) and Concourse H (Terminal 2) have signs on the jet bridges...

ORD is a bit of mix. While terminal 1 (United) has them...

The United parts of Terminal 2 have them, too...

Terminal 3 (American) does not have them any longer....

Dominion301

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 pm

In Canada, they're pretty much all gone as all airports are now CUTE. YWG's old terminal was probably the last of them. Lots of airport authority logos on jetways though + HSBC at the big airports.

AirbusMDCFAN

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Sperl19 wrote:
FLL did as of last week.

T3 F gates as well as E6, E10 JetBlue, T2 Delta (although shared with AC Rouge), T4 H gates for Spirit

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:06 am

ahj2000 wrote:
Many still do AFAIK CLT does for sure.

727LOVER wrote:
I have not yet seen the new AA logo on a jetway.

CLT has a lot of jetways which say Charlotte Douglas International Airport, including concourse E which is technically CUTE I guess yet all American Eagle.

So if CLT does for sure, what is on concourse B and C, no way it says US Airways still, so if not the new AA logo, what else could it be?

WN732

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:21 am

ELP has a mixture of airport logos and airline logos on their gates.

PDX88

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:51 am

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

Most of the gates in HSV are glass bridges. I far prefer them to the cargo container bridges.

caoimhin

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:22 am

edmountain wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

It may be hyperbole it say HSBC are on the "verge of collapse", but HSBC are in a very bad financial position right now. The situation is in fact quite dire.

MaksFly

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 am

I would not care one bit about sponsored logos.

In fact, I would rather see sponsor logos on jet bridges than have to pay higher fees.

All for it, especially on common use gates.

If the airline owns the gates... then by all means let them do as they please.

b6sea

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:35 am

This is slightly off topic, but I remember as a kid at DL's B-gates at SEA they had posters of their destinations up along the jetways and it was always fun seeing the destination posters before we left for ATL (or DFW back when that was a thing). I really like the specific airline branding at the gates where they make the gate area and the jetway an extension of their brand. I'd like to see more of that, but I suppose that's falling out of fashion. Kind of surprises me actually when branding and controlling the experience is so crucial to airlines these days, you would think it would go the other way.

77H

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 am

United has them on most, if not all gates at the B concourse in DEN. They say "Welcome to DEN" under the UA logo. Never seen that anywhere else UA has gate logos.

77H

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:45 pm

b6sea wrote:
This is slightly off topic, but I remember as a kid at DL's B-gates at SEA they had posters of their destinations up along the jetways and it was always fun seeing the destination posters before we left for ATL (or DFW back when that was a thing). I really like the specific airline branding at the gates where they make the gate area and the jetway an extension of their brand. I'd like to see more of that, but I suppose that's falling out of fashion. Kind of surprises me actually when branding and controlling the experience is so crucial to airlines these days, you would think it would go the other way.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, they really branded their gate areas, they choose the carpet sometimes (they may have even carpeted the walls IIRC), their name and logo were on the walls, destination posters. I especially remember this with EA and DL, whose walls were usually navy blue. Even the inside of the jetways they would choose the carpet and color of the sidewalls. I believe UA jetways had red carpet. Eastern even had some walls displaying all their destinations, this started as an airline timetable cover in 1974 but continued into the 1980s.

The only branding now seems to be at the ticket counter, and for many international terminals, it is nothing more than a video screen that can change.

GVIIO

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:40 pm

TPA has Delta and Air Canada logos on the jetbridges

Cory6188

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:54 pm

BDL, LGA, JFK, and EWR all have DL-branded jetbridges (and LGA/JFK have some tagline about DL being New York's airline on them, too).

twincessna340a

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Found an interesting article covering a brief history of the jetway:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl ... /80806044/

carlokiii wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

I get how it is cost-prohibitive but I wonder how a glass jet bridge would cause a security issue that a 'regular' one with windows wouldn't. Almost all new airports/terminals I've been to all have glass jet bridges anyway, so I bet it's mostly about costs.

In the US, fire codes have prevented their use. However they are being gradually lifted.

727LOVER wrote:
afcjets wrote:

I believe most airports still do, in the USA at least. One exception is MIA

By the way, as far as DL goes. I believe every time they changed liveries, they changed the logo on the jetway. I have not yet seen the new AA logo on a jetway.

IIRC my last trip through CLT over XMas the B&C gates had the new AA branding on them. DL also has its logo on its gates in A.

Yes "Jetway" is a trademark name (of FMC Jetway Systems, now JBT AeroTech), ala Xerox, Kleenex, Band-Aid, etc.

spartanmjf

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:21 pm

As a Companion Pass flyer, I cannot recall seeing a Southwest station without logos on the jet bridges - very much the case at my home airport of BWI. Delta has branding on just about everything - certainly at BWI and in ATL and SLC (two of my more recent stops).
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

georgiabill

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:26 pm

MHT has WN,DL and UA on jet bridges. Not sure if AA does any more.

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm

77H wrote:
United has them on most, if not all gates at the B concourse in DEN. They say "Welcome to DEN" under the UA logo. Never seen that anywhere else UA has gate logos.

77H

Up until the bankruptcy and merger, NW had signs with "Welcome to X" on the inside of many outstation jet bridges. I remember the ones at MKE said "Welcome to Milwaukee County," which I always found weird.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

737tanker

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
Why can we not have more transparent jetways so I can actually see the plane I am boarding! I love that most new airports in Asia at least are going for transparent jetways.

AMA has transparent jetways and in the Texas summer it is like walking in an oven.

jetmatt777

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:33 pm

OKC has airline logos on the folowing:

Alaska (Gate 2)
American (Gates 4, 6, 8)
Southwest (Gates 14, 16, 18)
Delta (Gates 20, 22, 24)
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

77H

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

Up until the bankruptcy and merger, NW had signs with "Welcome to X" on the inside of many outstation jet bridges. I remember the ones at MKE said "Welcome to Milwaukee County," which I always found weird.

Wisconsin Airports are largely owned by the county rather than the city they serve. MSN is Dane County Regional, ATW is Outagamie Regional though I've always seen Madison or Appleton on the FIS.

77H

b6sea

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:16 pm

afcjets wrote:
b6sea wrote:

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, they really branded their gate areas, they choose the carpet sometimes (they may have even carpeted the walls IIRC), their name and logo were on the walls, destination posters. I especially remember this with EA and DL, whose walls were usually navy blue. Even the inside of the jetways they would choose the carpet and color of the sidewalls. I believe UA jetways had red carpet. Eastern even had some walls displaying all their destinations, this started as an airline timetable cover in 1974 but continued into the 1980s.

The only branding now seems to be at the ticket counter, and for many international terminals, it is nothing more than a video screen that can change.

It's funny you mention this, I have a really vague memory of flying TWA in the late 1990s out of SEA and they had the last two A-gates (before the expansion and remodel) which (I have since been informed) was a former hangar that had been added on to the original A-gates and they had super high ceilings and red carpets and walls, similar to their JFK terminal, and it seemed like the most committed branding exercise I've ever seen at SEA. I think it was all the red which made it so different.

I can't find any pictures of it, but I remember it very distinctly because we used to fly USAir quite a bit, also from the A-gates, and you'd go from this pre/early-jet age low-ceilinged, flourescently-lit, linoleum-floored terminal into this giant (I suppose hangar-sized) room that was totally red, and carpeted and had big windows that was practically empty. It was odd, but interesting at the same time.

I also remember almost every DL gate in any airport you went to had the same blue (leather?) airport chair rows with the Delta delta logo in the middle of the backrest.

gunsontheroof

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:27 pm

I was always excited to see the different jetbridge logos at SEA when I was a kid, but in the age of consolidation, it's just not as fun when fewer domestic airlines are around and I don't really mourn their disappearance. A huge row of AS or DL tails make the same point.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:59 pm

b6sea wrote:
I also remember almost every DL gate in any airport you went to had the same blue (leather?) airport chair rows with the Delta delta logo in the middle of the backrest.

I remember the Delta navy leather style seats at the gates too but IIRC sometimes they had some cream or beige colored ones mixed in too.
Last edited by afcjets on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:05 pm

AA's RDU hub which opened in 1987 I believe had charcoal leather(ette) seats at the gates, and I believe at many out stations too.

MCOflyer

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:19 pm

MLB and MCO does as well.
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

USAirALB

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:50 pm

All D jetways in CLT have the CLT Airport logo on them, as they were all CUTE. After the AA/US merger, AA added their own podiums with their logos onto some of the gates. I'm assuming they picked up leases on them?

I know D12 is still CUTE. LH and AA jointly use it.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

NYPECO

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Honestly I can't think of any airports I've been to that don't have airline logos on the jetways.

chotiwala

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm

I work for G4 at KIDA, and both of theirs do

GSPSPOT

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:44 pm

727LOVER wrote:

It is, but it's used generically, like in the South we just call any tissue a "kleenex" and pretty much any soda a "coke"...
Great Lakes, great life.

cvgComair

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Delta's 28 gates in Concourse B all have Delta Logos on them at CVG. They also recently added the Delta brand advertisements lining the inside of the jetway, it looks really cool. I believe Delta has or is working on adding these to all its jetways at its hub airports.

Jerseyguy

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:13 pm

At TTN (Trenton, NJ). The boarding ramps they use (no jetways) say Frontier on them. Heres a pic of the ingurual Allegiant flight using a boarding ramp that says Frontier on it.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details