gtargui
Topic Author

Shortest connection you would risk for long haul flights?

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Hello everyone! This is my first post so be gentle

I am going to need to fly from MAN to PVG in late August early September. I'm looking at flights now but I'm not buying my ticket just yet as the group I'll be flying with need to find out the exact date when we can move into our university accommodation, and we need to get our visas sorted.

At the moment, the cheapest ticket seems to be with Swiss with a connection in ZRH. The connection is only 1h 20m on the outbound journey, then 1 hour 30 minutes on the return journey. I don't fly that often but my dad does, and he's gotten me into the mindset that I'd be pushing my luck if I want to make the next flight with under 2 hours for the connection. The next cheapest flight is with Scandinavian though CPH, but there is an 18h wait on the outbound flight, and a 14 hour wait on the return flight.

Last June I flew MAN-MUC-PEK-MUC-MAN and my flight to Manchester on the return leg was delayed by two hours, making my wait in MUC almost 8 hours. I can't say I particularly enjoyed that one considering my phone/tablet charger broke, I had left my book in Beijing, and by the time I got on the plane, I was pushing 22 hours without sleep, and I needed to make frequent trips to the toilet because I ate something that didn't agree with me in Beijing the day before I was supposed to fly home.

So, if you were in my position, which option would you take? There is only a £18 difference between the two flights at the moment.

MaxTrimm

Re: Shortest connection you would risk for long haul flights?

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:57 am

Despite ZRH being very convienient transfer airport, I don't think I would risk an under-2 hour connection on an international flight regardless.

jlaforteza

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:11 am

I've done international to international transfer with a 1 hour 40 minute connection. I was through in about 20 minutes.

For context, this was a flight Asiana from Incheon to Osaka Kansai and United Osaka Kansai to Guam. Not many transfering. I was the first one and possibly only one on the flight in the transit area. That time of the evening, Sunday, didn't have a lot of arrivals it seems. I sat as close to the front of the Asiana flight as I could. I had both boarding passes on hand. And the longest part was the train ride between the gate and security and back to the gate. Made it with plenty of time to go to a lounge and hangout, about 45 minutes worth.

If you can have all boarding passes on hand, that's a time saver. I only had carry on. And I was toward the front.

Check out your connecting airport to see what amenities they have for passengers in transit. If it's like Incheon, there's a lot to do to help you relax between flights. It may be worth it to avoid the stress and rush of a short connection.

angusjt

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:30 am

I have a connection at HKG coming up for a PER-JFK flight later this year, the connection is barely an hour long, I seriously doubt I'll ever take anything shorter then that.

Typically I rather opt for a longer connection (maybe 3-5 hours) with this trip being one of a few exceptions.

JulietteBravo

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Transfer at ZRH is very quick, the airport isn't that big. If the flights are on time 1:20 resp. 1:30h is more than enough time. As far as I know, SWISS sells connecting flights with a minimum of 40 min minimum on EU/Intercontinental connections.

hinckley

Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:07 pm

I prefer the 2 hr connection rule as well, but Swiss is efficient and at that time of year, you'll at least avoid any weather delays. I've connected in ZRH to/from the US a fair bit, and the walk/train ride is always quite long. But as long as you don't linger, 1:20 is absolutely doable.

ojjunior

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:15 pm

That brings me a question:
Why on earth does the airlines sell tickets with such impossible connexion time to achieve?
I've seen tkts with 45 mins connex time from/to separate intercontinental legs.
Why do they sell it with the risk of not having the passenger on time?

zrs70

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 pm

It depends on a few factors:

1) Is it on one ticket or two? If one, the airline with protect you if there is a misconnect. If not, you are likely on your own
2) What class of service? If in economy, I'm not as worried about missing a flight, as I won't get downgraded. If in business or first, I would worry more.
3) Paid or award ticket? Same as above. If award (or upgraded), I would worry about losing the upgrade.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

jumpjets

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 am

I have done v short transfers in SIN BKK and IST [long to short haul and vice versa] all of around an hour and on all three occasions both me and my luggage made the connection. On two of the occasions the in bound flights were running late so the actual transfer time got down to as little as 40 minutes [in IST] but it still worked OK.

fallap

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:12 am

1 hour and 20 minutes. HA! That's peanuts compared to the fares Air France sells with a mere 45 minutes transfer in CDG, from one end to the other. Austrian Airlines even got fares with 35 minutes transfer in Vienna.

With only one transfer in Zurich, coming from MCT and going to CPH - I can't say I'm an expert, but if you hurry and don't shop around, then 1 hour and 20 minutes should be doable. If not, Swiss will book a new flight for you.

Otherwise, I would strongly recommend taking the flight via. CPH flying SK, and not just because I own stocks in SK, but you'll get a chance to experience the most wonderful city in the world: Copenhagen! Grab the metro down town and find a cheap hostel, go sightseeing, drink a few beers, eat smørrebrød and take a selfie with the Little Mermaid. Then head back to CPH airport and fly to PVG or wherever you need to go.

/Thread.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Some airlines it would be OK, others - never. Old Northwest used to have some really short layovers in Narita. In the best sense it was a Japanese Fire Drill, buses, odd doors, funny passage ways, up and down stairs - but not to worry, you just followed the lady who led you. Bewildering, but no stress. Now take United. Please. Never less than two hours even domestic.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

CXA330300

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 pm

I second the Copenhagen option. The flight through ZRH would be fine but a bit stressful, but it's actually very easy and nice to have a good layover in Copenhagen. There is a train to the City centre and you can leave your things in secure lockers (with a guard!) at the Copenhagen train station.
Home airport now: JFK

n729pa

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:36 pm

I think the other thing you must also consider is your luggage.

You can run down the corridor to the gate, but if your bags have to handled or they've got to be unloaded from ULDs etc, you might have a problem when you get to the destination.

I learnt this lesson once flying BNE-SYD-AYQ. Connection in SYD was about 1:40 I think in the domestic terminal. Fine....but when the flight was delayed due to ATC by about an hour, it started to unravel a bit. Coming from a B767 to a B737 the luggage had to be removed too, and whilst I was only 2-3 gates from my flight and therefore thought, that was lucky. When I got to Ayers Rock, there was this unpleasant feeling as the arrivals started to empty that maybe my case wasn't there. Fortunately the QF desk had been notified already, so with an amenity kit in hand off to the hotel....the bus driver said...oh I see you didn't get your case, it will turn up in morning don't worry....checking into the hotel....hmm, I see you've lost your case, it'll be OK. Off to Ayer's Rock for the sunrise tour, then back to the hotel mid-morning and there it was delivered to my room...QF had flown it up SYD-CNS the previous night, then CNS-AYQ on the first flight in the morning so true to their word I got it when they said I would. But it taught me a good lesson about tight connections though, especially with checked luggage.

Bostrom

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:43 pm

gtargui wrote:
At the moment, the cheapest ticket seems to be with Swiss with a connection in ZRH. The connection is only 1h 20m on the outbound journey, then 1 hour 30 minutes on the return journey. I don't fly that often but my dad does, and he's gotten me into the mindset that I'd be pushing my luck if I want to make the next flight with under 2 hours for the connection. The next cheapest flight is with Scandinavian though CPH, but there is an 18h wait on the outbound flight, and a 14 hour wait on the return flight.

Which dates are you looking at? 18 and 14 h wait sound a bit extreme. I did a dummy booking and came up with a 5:30 wait outbound and 1:20 inbound.

gtargui
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Bostrom wrote:
Which dates are you looking at? 18 and 14 h wait sound a bit extreme. I did a dummy booking and came up with a 5:30 wait outbound and 1:20 inbound.

On Skyscanner, Outbound on 08/09/17, then inbound on 17/01/18. These are rough dates going off last years academic calendar, because, rather annoyingly, the university hasn't released their 2017/18 calendar yet.

The £361 one with Swiss and has the 1h 30m and 1h 20m connection times

The £462 one with SAS has a 5h 35m wait on the outbound in CPG which is tolerable if the plane for my connecting flight isn't super late, but then a 14h 10m on the inbound which would probably be a "Lets go into the city and get lunch and a pint" wait. The pricing and waiting time seems to have changed from when I looked a few days ago

fallap wrote:
Otherwise, I would strongly recommend taking the flight via. CPH flying SK, and not just because I own stocks in SK, but you'll get a chance to experience the most wonderful city in the world: Copenhagen! Grab the metro down town and find a cheap hostel, go sightseeing, drink a few beers, eat smørrebrød and take a selfie with the Little Mermaid. Then head back to CPH airport and fly to PVG or wherever you need to go.

CXA330300 wrote:
I second the Copenhagen option. The flight through ZRH would be fine but a bit stressful, but it's actually very easy and nice to have a good layover in Copenhagen. There is a train to the City centre and you can leave your things in secure lockers (with a guard!) at the Copenhagen train station.

If I was to go for the Copenhagen option, how easy is it to get out of the airport and then back in again? Is it I go through security and immigration and just say "I've got a long wait, I'm going to the city centre for a few hours"? Is it easy to do considering both flights are non-Schengen? I know it might sound like silly questions but it's not the sort of thing I've done before.

PITingres

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:40 pm

I've done a couple 65 minute transfers in CDG, and neither was 2E-2F (which is easy). I don't recommend it. I usually try to allow at least a couple hours for an international connection unless there is no reasonable alternative.

US domestic-to-domestic is different, anything over 45 minutes is usually OK. There are exceptions that you have to watch out for (like the far end of CLT E to the other end of B or A, which can be done in 45 minutes only if E concourse isn't clogged up with the mobility challenged.)
Fly, you fools! Fly!

eamondzhang

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:25 am

Depending on where you transfer in, if it's places like HND, NRT and SIN I wouldn't mind 1hr intl-intl transfer. If you're flying into the Mainland (in this case PVG), your outbound to PVG is fine, but if you're flying out of PVG to connect somewhere in Asia, then you'd better leave some time to spare as it's too easy to get stuck for hours at PVG.

Bostrom

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 am

gtargui wrote:
If I was to go for the Copenhagen option, how easy is it to get out of the airport and then back in again? Is it I go through security and immigration and just say "I've got a long wait, I'm going to the city centre for a few hours"? Is it easy to do considering both flights are non-Schengen? I know it might sound like silly questions but it's not the sort of thing I've done before.

If you are an EEA-citizen or otherwise don't need a visa for the Schengen area I can't see why there should be any problems. Just follow the arrivals signs instead of transfer and take the train to central Copenhagen (13 minutes, 36 kr).

cpd

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 am

United has done me a very, very fast connection in SFO. Virtually rushed through the terminal, then down some very steep stairs and out through a door, onto a bus then off to the next plane and once I was onboard the door was shut and that was it. My luggage somehow made it too. Completely shocked.

Blame enormous fog for that. The actual transfer time should have been more than adequate, except for the weather.

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Some airlines it would be OK, others - never. Old Northwest used to have some really short layovers in Narita. In the best sense it was a Japanese Fire Drill, buses, odd doors, funny passage ways, up and down stairs - but not to worry, you just followed the lady who led you. Bewildering, but no stress. Now take United. Please. Never less than two hours even domestic.

Sounds like my United experience.

CXA330300

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:44 pm

gtargui wrote:

Very easy. They don't even really ask you questions at the immigration stand if you have an onward boarding pass. The trains are extremely frequent too.
Home airport now: JFK

flyingclrs727

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 pm

I have flown through IAH with just over an hour connection time connecting from terminal B to terminal D. It's pretty efficient getting from the the domestic terminals to the international terminals on the skyway. Considering United sold me the whole itinerary which including interlining with Lufthansa, I wasn't too worried. Coming back, I would want at least 3 hours connection time due to the need to clear customs.

LHRBFSTrident

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:34 am

ZRH is very efficient for connections - my 70-year old mother-in-law and octogenarian friend (slow walkers) made a 40-minute ticketed connection FLR-ZRH-IAD - she was amazed she made the connection; I was amazed she even had time to shop for souvenirs at Kloten...

ZRH really does run exceedingly well under normal circumstances - and the Swiss appear able to create 'normal circumstances' the majority of the time

GLA MD11

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:52 pm

I think it all depends on "where".
On a CDG-ESB with a stopover in MUC, we have had 40 minutes official time. A driver was awaiting for us upon disembarkment; he drove us to a specific border patrol booth, loaded us back into his van and drove us to the stairs of our plane to Turkey. Very efficient, even with a 15 minutes delay upon arrival in MUC.
I would for sure never risk such a short connection time in any US airport, or in my home base CDG...

CrimsonNL

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 pm

There are literally thousands of pax traveling through ZRH each week successfully making their connections with connecting times like these. If it weren't doable it wouldn't be offered, as it will cost Swiss money too if you miss your flight.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

BENAir01

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm

I say going via ZRH should be just fine. The airlines don't tend to want to lose you. I once did LGA-ORD-HNL on AA (long time ago) and our LGA-ORD was late, but they held the plane for us. On top of that ZRH is a very easy to use airport.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

mdavies06

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:24 am

Flying in and out of PVG in late August and early September is almost guaranteed to have delays. If I were you, I would definitely be careful with the PVG->MAN leg, and consider what you (and Swiss) can do if the PVG-ZRH leg is delayed.

Is there a later ZRH-MAN departure in the same day?

The past few days PVG has been hell. Summer is hell at PVG. Take yesterday as an example. Majority of flights were delayed and a large portion of flights were cancelled due to weather.

IAHWorldflyer

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Given that it's ZRH, I think you would be fine. You won't have time to tarry, but you will in all likelihood make the connecting flight. ZRH Kloten is a very efficient airport, and relativly small as Euro hubs go. I would also have confidence in make a sub 2 hour connection in MUC, FRA and VIE. I would NEVER make less than a 2 hour connection at CDG or LHR. If you missed your return connection at ZRH, Swiss would likely connect you through BRU or FRA with no problem. I've experienced IRROPS on LH before, and they were very willing to get me home on a non Star Alliance flight with minimum delays. Swiss is part of the LH group, so I'd think they would also be decent to deal with.
Just from an av-geek perspective, you might want to price out flights on Singapore Airlines with a connection in SIN. It's a bit out of the way, but you'd get to fly a new A350 on the MAN-SIN leg.

LTU932

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Minimum 1.5 hrs without immigration check (e.g. in PTY), domestic to longhaul in the US or for Schengen to longhaul (EU exit immigration is far quicker than inbound immigration IMO and I say that as an EU citizen), and minimum 3 hours in LHR (thanks to their lack of interterminal trains and for security checks) with immigration check (e.g. ITI transfers in the US) and when connecting to the US for the security interview/docs check.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

spacecadet

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 pm

I made the mistake of booking a flight with a connection in PEK with a 1.5 hour layover, and we would have just made it if our second flight left on time. "Luckily" it started boarding 40 minutes late, in part because of people like us (an announcement was made that they were waiting for connecting passengers and presumably luggage), so we had some time to use the bathroom, get some drinks, etc. But before we knew of the delay, we were rushing around as fast as we reasonably could and felt like we'd be lucky if we made it. All the bureaucratic rigmarole these days takes a lot of time.

I think that unless I knew for a fact that I wouldn't have to go through immigration and security again (honestly I'm not sure why this is necessary if you're arriving and departing from the same terminal as we were), I would budget at *least* 2 hours next time. Not that I had much of a choice in this case unless I waited until the next day for my connecting flight... but I might just not book that itinerary at all if I couldn't choose a longer layover.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ojjunior

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Once I've flown IAD-FRA enroute to IST with UA and then LH. My 1st flight arrived ontime in FRA and I deboarded and looked for my connection flight but surprise! My flight was closed to IST... asked LH counter and was told that no enough time for me and then I repeated that I bought it online thru LHs website with no delays enroute, then she made me a face and booked me in a TK flight 6 hours later, otherwise I'd be living in FRA airport up to this day.
Resuming, the airlines do sell tickets with not enough time and they don't care if you miss it. So people, take care when browsing your flights, sometimes the cheaper options come with a price...

ASQ400

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm

If there are no customs/immigration to clear (US domestic to ex-US Int'l), I'd take a 1hr connection. Even 45min if it's in the same terminal and I'm flying light.
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA

irelayer

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 pm

fallap wrote:
1 hour and 20 minutes. HA! That's peanuts compared to the fares Air France sells with a mere 45 minutes transfer in CDG, from one end to the other. Austrian Airlines even got fares with 35 minutes transfer in Vienna.

With only one transfer in Zurich, coming from MCT and going to CPH - I can't say I'm an expert, but if you hurry and don't shop around, then 1 hour and 20 minutes should be doable. If not, Swiss will book a new flight for you.

/Thread.

I'm doing this in October (but I'm staying in CPH for a week). Any suggestions, PM me! :)

-IR

LGAviation

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Not wanting to hijack the thread, I recently booked a in my view tight connection, given the experiences I had before, at CDG with 1hrs50 layover arriving at Terminal "2"-G and leaving from 2C. I understand that essentially there's only a shuttle to 2E that is airside but that is of no use for 2C since there's no airside connection between 2C and 2E and the other one is to 2F and then onwards walk to 2C or use the shuttle bus. Would you guys walk from 2F or take the shuttle and theoretically would taxi drivers accept you for the ride from 2G to 2C and do you know how much that would cost?
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 pm

LGAviation wrote:
Not wanting to hijack the thread, I recently booked a in my view tight connection, given the experiences I had before, at CDG with 1hrs50 layover arriving at Terminal "2"-G and leaving from 2C. I understand that essentially there's only a shuttle to 2E that is airside but that is of no use for 2C since there's no airside connection between 2C and 2E and the other one is to 2F and then onwards walk to 2C or use the shuttle bus. Would you guys walk from 2F or take the shuttle and theoretically would taxi drivers accept you for the ride from 2G to 2C and do you know how much that would cost?

First question: When you arrive at 2G, will you need to clear EU immigration, or will you be inbound on a Schengen flight?

Second: You can take the airside shuttle bus over to 2F, and it is possible to walk to 2C by going towards 2D, then turning left at the TGV station and walking across the roadways essencially over to the connector between 2C and 2E, then turning right, and you will be in 2C. This would be about a 15-20 minute walk depending on how fast you are.
The big issue is that if you need to clear immigration, that will eat up about 30 minutes or more of your time. Then I *think* you need to reclear security. Add another 5-10 minutes. Also, be aware that AF has a good many flights from 2C and 2D that are parked out on the tarmac ( hardstands) and they will bus you out to the plane from the gate. They will load the busses a good 20 minutes before your scheduled departure and then close the gate. So, if you make this connection, consider that nature has smiled upon you. Then go buy a lottery ticket ;-)

LGAviation

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 am

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
LGAviation wrote:

First question: When you arrive at 2G, will you need to clear EU immigration, or will you be inbound on a Schengen flight?

Second: You can take the airside shuttle bus over to 2F, and it is possible to walk to 2C by going towards 2D, then turning left at the TGV station and walking across the roadways essencially over to the connector between 2C and 2E, then turning right, and you will be in 2C. This would be about a 15-20 minute walk depending on how fast you are.
The big issue is that if you need to clear immigration, that will eat up about 30 minutes or more of your time. Then I *think* you need to reclear security. Add another 5-10 minutes. Also, be aware that AF has a good many flights from 2C and 2D that are parked out on the tarmac ( hardstands) and they will bus you out to the plane from the gate. They will load the busses a good 20 minutes before your scheduled departure and then close the gate. So, if you make this connection, consider that nature has smiled upon you. Then go buy a lottery ticket ;-)

I'll be arriving on a regional from Frankfurt so no passport control whatsoever, I'll be leaving on Kenya Airways out of 2C with obvious passport control but I'm quite confident since I'll be traveling on a biometric EU passport. But I'll still probably go for a direct cab to T2C. It's funny how I am not the least bit worried about my 1hrs40 on the return at AMS but CDG is just my one trauma as a connecting airport.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

ei146

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Here is a guide:
http://easycdg.com/passenger-informatio ... rminal-2g/
I connected serveral times using the shuttle busses in CDG also coming from FRA (or NUE) arriving in 2G. I didn't like it but it works. But you really have to be careful to follow the guide for your specific case, e.g. shuttle bus connecting air side or land side, baggage to be collected or checked through and so on. To be honest I never considered taking a taxi as alternative. Why should I, it isen't faster.

LGAviation

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:23 pm

From what I see on google maps it's supposedly only 7 mins by road (taxi), the shuttle should be more than that and then there's the walk from T2F to T2C and since I really have to get a connection at NBO, I wouldn't want to take a chance.

ei146

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Just some correction to what I wrote earlier:
I never had to go to 2C, just to 2E or 2F. Anyway, according to the official Airport webpage you won't have to leave the secure area to get from 2G to 2C.
http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passenge ... ng-flights
You still would have to take two different shuttles, but they stay airside and are independent from outside traffic. And you can beat the queues because you can avoid the security checks.
With taxies I see an other problem: I don't know if they are oblidged to take you to an other terminal. Sometimes they wait for hours in line hoping for a profitable trip to downtown Paris or further. So they do not accept passengers for really short trips if they don't have to.
Good luck, whatever you choice will be!

LGAviation

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

ei146 wrote:
Just some correction to what I wrote earlier:
I never had to go to 2C, just to 2E or 2F. Anyway, according to the official Airport webpage you won't have to leave the secure area to get from 2G to 2C.
http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passenge ... ng-flights
You still would have to take two different shuttles, but they stay airside and are independent from outside traffic. And you can beat the queues because you can avoid the security checks.
With taxies I see an other problem: I don't know if they are oblidged to take you to an other terminal. Sometimes they wait for hours in line hoping for a profitable trip to downtown Paris or further. So they do not accept passengers for really short trips if they don't have to.
Good luck, whatever you choice will be!

Thanks for that... I am now almost more confused than before. CDG's webpage itself advises that I should take the landside shuttle http://easycdg.com/passenger-informatio ... rminal-2g/. From what I understand, under French law, they are not legally allowed to refuse carriage and I would be willing to spend up to €20 if that makes me certainly reach the terminal in time and would be prepared to offer that. It's just that I lose two days if I miss the connection in NBO. I just hope that the inbound is early.

ei146

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 am

LGAviation wrote:
CDG's webpage itself advises that I should take the landside shuttle http://easycdg.com/passenger-informatio ... erminal-2g.

CDG is run by "Aéroports de Paris". parisaeroport.fr is their official webpage.
Please read the fine print on easycdg.com: "easy CDG not the official airport website." "I made this website as a positive contribution for all travellers and visitors." "Paris Aeroport is the official airport operator."
easyCDG has collected a lot of useful information. But in case of doubt I'd rather trust the information from the official operator. And they state at http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passenge ... ng-flights :

"You are landing at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2G
Your connecting flight is departing from Paris-Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2C

→ Follow signs for «Connecting flights»
If you do not yet have your second boarding pass, go to the company connecting flights desk of your next flight.
→ Go through the Police border check
→ Take the yellow shuttle (Navette Jaune) to Terminal 2E, and get off at «Gate K, connecting to T 2A/C»
Frequency: every 6 minutes* from 5:30 am to 9:45 pm. Free service
→ Take the blue shuttle (Navette Bleue) to Terminal 2A/C
Frequency: every 6 minutes* from 5:00 am to 11:45 pm. Free service
→ Go to the departure lounge"

LGAviation wrote:
From what I understand, under French law, they are not legally allowed to refuse carriage and I would be willing to spend up to €20 if that makes me certainly reach the terminal in time and would be prepared to offer that.

Careful with that. I was not accepted by Paris taxi drivers serveral times because they wanted to go in a different direction. So I dont't know if such a rule exists. The airport is private ground so different rules may apply anyway. Also 20€ may not be convincing enough as the Paris trip is 50€ or more.
And easycdg says at http://easycdg.com/transport/taxi-shutt ... sdegaulle/ :
"Some drivers may refuse journey to Paris Nord-Villepinte or airport hotels, considered too close from the terminals." Trips between terminals are even shorter...

Mortyman

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 am

Is 4 hours Connection time at LAX enough ? It's Connection to RAR

ei146

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 am

Mortyman wrote:

Are you serious or kidding? 4 hours should be more then enough even if US CBP and TSA have the worst of all days.
If there is some other kind of irrops all bets are open anyway.

LGAviation

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 pm

ei146 wrote:
LGAviation wrote:
CDG's webpage itself advises that I should take the landside shuttle http://easycdg.com/passenger-informatio ... erminal-2g.

CDG is run by "Aéroports de Paris". parisaeroport.fr is their official webpage.
Please read the fine print on easycdg.com: "easy CDG not the official airport website." "I made this website as a positive contribution for all travellers and visitors." "Paris Aeroport is the official airport operator."
easyCDG has collected a lot of useful information. But in case of doubt I'd rather trust the information from the official operator. And they state at http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passenge ... ng-flights :

"You are landing at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2G
Your connecting flight is departing from Paris-Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2C

→ Follow signs for «Connecting flights»
If you do not yet have your second boarding pass, go to the company connecting flights desk of your next flight.
→ Go through the Police border check
→ Take the yellow shuttle (Navette Jaune) to Terminal 2E, and get off at «Gate K, connecting to T 2A/C»
Frequency: every 6 minutes* from 5:30 am to 9:45 pm. Free service
→ Take the blue shuttle (Navette Bleue) to Terminal 2A/C
Frequency: every 6 minutes* from 5:00 am to 11:45 pm. Free service
→ Go to the departure lounge"

LGAviation wrote:
From what I understand, under French law, they are not legally allowed to refuse carriage and I would be willing to spend up to €20 if that makes me certainly reach the terminal in time and would be prepared to offer that.

Careful with that. I was not accepted by Paris taxi drivers serveral times because they wanted to go in a different direction. So I dont't know if such a rule exists. The airport is private ground so different rules may apply anyway. Also 20€ may not be convincing enough as the Paris trip is 50€ or more.
And easycdg says at http://easycdg.com/transport/taxi-shutt ... sdegaulle/ :
"Some drivers may refuse journey to Paris Nord-Villepinte or airport hotels, considered too close from the terminals." Trips between terminals are even shorter...

Thanks, the issue fortunately kind of disappeared since Kenya Airways decided to alter its schedule today and push the connection 65 mins back so that I now have 3hrs05. This is the first schedule change in a long long time that I actually like.

aklrno

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Mortyman wrote:

Sure, but when asking this kind of question you need to give a lot more detail. What airline do you arrive on? Are you arriving on a domestic flight, or do you need to go through US CBP? If you are arriving from another country, will it have pre-clearance and thus seem like a domestic flight? Are you a premium flier and thus have a shorter queue?

Going to RAR I presume you are on NZ departing from TBIT. If you arrive on a domestic or pre cleared flight to TBIT,T4,5,6,7, or 8 you could be at your departure lounge in 20 minutes. If you need to walk to TBIT from T1,2, or 3 and then get in the TSA queue it could be an hour or more,

If you arrive on a non pre-cleared flight and need to pass through US border control it may be an additional hour. Highly variable, but 4 hours will be enough in any case.

TWA772LR

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 am

I did IAH-SFO-SYD with a 14 hour connection. I wasn't taking any chances. I had been planning that trip all summer and being all nonrev on a hub-to-hub route is like playing roulette, especially in the middle of August. So I took the 7am departure from IAH to make it in time for my 1045pm departure to SYD. If I was going domestic, I wouldve been a lot more relaxed, but this was my first time going out if the country on my own (without parents, I travelled with some friends) so I wasn't gonna play around.

My shortest connection was (supposed to be) 30 mins when I did IAH-ORD-TVC last summer. It became even shorter when we had to taxi for 10 miles. That's when I learned to always travel in Nikes because running in Sperry's totally destroys your shins.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Mortyman

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 am

aklrno wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Sure, but when asking this kind of question you need to give a lot more detail. What airline do you arrive on? Are you arriving on a domestic flight, or do you need to go through US CBP? If you are arriving from another country, will it have pre-clearance and thus seem like a domestic flight? Are you a premium flier and thus have a shorter queue?

Going to RAR I presume you are on NZ departing from TBIT. If you arrive on a domestic or pre cleared flight to TBIT,T4,5,6,7, or 8 you could be at your departure lounge in 20 minutes. If you need to walk to TBIT from T1,2, or 3 and then get in the TSA queue it could be an hour or more,

If you arrive on a non pre-cleared flight and need to pass through US border control it may be an additional hour. Highly variable, but 4 hours will be enough in any case.

It's Air New Zealand from LHR. No pre clearance. Premium economy.

aklrno

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 am

Mortyman wrote:
aklrno wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

My guess is that you will be enjoying the TBIT shopping center in about 1 hour, even with a bad day at CBP and TSA. Maybe 90 minutes if you are unlucky and get a remote gate that involves a long bus ride. Try to be one of the first off the aircraft and walk quickly to CBP. I recommend a seat at the front of the section. At least you will be ahead of a couple of hundred people on your flight. In business premier I try for seat 7A or 7B for a quick exit. question for others:do arriving flights get remote gates?

Mortyman

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:07 pm

aklrno wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
aklrno wrote:

My guess is that you will be enjoying the TBIT shopping center in about 1 hour, even with a bad day at CBP and TSA. Maybe 90 minutes if you are unlucky and get a remote gate that involves a long bus ride. Try to be one of the first off the aircraft and walk quickly to CBP. I recommend a seat at the front of the section. At least you will be ahead of a couple of hundred people on your flight. In business premier I try for seat 7A or 7B for a quick exit. question for others:do arriving flights get remote gates?

Thanx

I fly economy Premium so I will be further back

novak500

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Me personally, 2 hrs is the minimum I prefer but as others have said the 1:20 in ZRH seems doable especially if on one ticket. My shortest connection was 1:20 in KEF and all went well.

aerorobnz

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:17 am

On the same ticket, at an airport I have visited many times, if I have no other option, 90min-2h
For Spotting purposes I like a longer transit during the day, or if I am flying business class or using my Gold Status then I like to maximise my time in the lounge so 2.5-5h is fine.
For any flights through LAX for example I need 5h. This allows for taxiing delays/Gate holds on arrival/Queues through Passport control and TSA queues. I hate feeling rushed.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.