Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10lover
Topic Author

Will flights from Wenatchee to San Francisco fail?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Wenatchee, Washington has a population of 40,000. The Tri - Cities is over 3 times as large but they only have one 50 passenger flight to San Francisco. Plus Seattle & Spokane already have service to San Francisco. Wenatchee is a small community and really no demand for such flights.
What do you think?

MaxTrimm

Re: Will flights from Wenatchee to San Francisco fail?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:19 am

There is virtually no chance of this happening IMO. I can see them picking up an SLC flight well before SFO. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the SFO flight from PSC isn't exactly performing very well. Obviously the yields may be great, but checking seat maps usually show at least some empty seats. So, no, EAT will most likely not see an SFO flight within the next 5-10 years.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
There is virtually no chance of this happening IMO. I can see them picking up an SLC flight well before SFO. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the SFO flight from PSC isn't exactly performing very well. Obviously the yields may be great, but checking seat maps usually show at least some empty seats. So, no, EAT will most likely not see an SFO flight within the next 5-10 years.

Here is the link:

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/123358 ... -francisco

And in Winter, Pangborn Airport often has cancellations because of snow / fog.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 am

sw733

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:40 pm

dc10lover wrote:

Fundraising doesn't mean the flight will happen. The airport can hope and dream (and collect money) all they want...doesn't mean it's happening. I don't see this going anywhere.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:00 am

sw733 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Fundraising doesn't mean the flight will happen. The airport can hope and dream (and collect money) all they want...doesn't mean it's happening. I don't see this going anywhere.

I don't see this working out either. Like many small airports, they only dream but do not live in reality. Pasco, Seattle and Spokane already has service.

masgniw

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:48 pm

dc10lover wrote:
Wenatchee, Washington has a population of 40,000. The Tri - Cities is over 3 times as large but they only have one 50 passenger flight to San Francisco. Plus Seattle & Spokane already have service to San Francisco. Wenatchee is a small community and really no demand for such flights.
What do you think?

Sure, Wenatchee is small but it has a big tourism industry. Vail, Aspen and a lot of other mountain towns clock in at less than 10k but do just fine with their air service.

Every summer, hoards of Western Washingtonians drive over the mountain passes and descend on the region for vacation. I spent about 2 decades doing it. It's amazing how it went from a quaint, quiet vacation experience to a huge, booming industry.

I can't say it'll succeed for sure, but regional residents know it's charm as a vacation destination. Now they are opening the opportunity to folks a little further away.

BoeingGuy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:11 pm

masgniw wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
What do you think?

Sure, Wenatchee is small but it has a big tourism industry. Vail, Aspen and a lot of other mountain towns clock in at less than 10k but do just fine with their air service.

Every summer, hoards of Western Washingtonians drive over the mountain passes and descend on the region for vacation. I spent about 2 decades doing it. It's amazing how it went from a quaint, quiet vacation experience to a huge, booming industry.

I can't say it'll succeed for sure, but regional residents know it's charm as a vacation destination. Now they are opening the opportunity to folks a little further away.

Wenatchee itself is a so-so town with no tourist draw. I assume you are referring to the surrounding area such as Leavenworth, Lake Chelan, the Methow Valley, etc.

Who would fly SFO-EAT? QX? It's interesting that someone stated that SFO-PSC doesn't perform well. Hughes Airwest used to fly that route with a DC-9.

masgniw

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:17 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
I assume you are referring to the surrounding area such as Leavenworth, Lake Chelan, the Methow Valley, etc.

You assume correctly. Sorta like SLC + the ski/outdoors destinations...