Spiderguy252
Topic Author

Etihad removes chauffeur services except at AUH, introduces neighbour free seats

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31 pm

The airline is to amend its chauffeur policy following a review of usage by premium guests across all major markets. The complimentary chauffeur service will be retained at Etihad Airways’ Abu Dhabi hub and replaced with a paid option at specially negotiated rates in all other cities. The changes will be implemented from 3 July 2017.

There is also this, a poor man's version of the NZ SkyCouch:

Inflight, Etihad Airways has introduced an innovative new ‘Neighbour-Free Seat’ option in Economy Class. The service provides guests with the option to enhance their flying experience by ‘bidding’ for up to three empty seats next to their original seat - subject to availability and cabin configuration.

Those planes aren't full at all, are they?

Source
Vahroone

aviationjunky

Re: Etihad removes chauffeur services except at AUH, introduces neighbour free seats

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:24 pm

What kind of airline would allow for someone to bid below seat value for an empty seat? If they are bidding for the seat to be empty, odds are its going to be empty anyways. That sounds a little odd to me.
LAS is Life

westaust

Re: Etihad removes chauffeur services except at AUH, introduces neighbour free seats

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 pm

That is actually good thinking, rather than flying an empty seat for 0$, find a way to get some revenues from that empty seat by letting someone use it but not free of charge! If the plane is full, surely the bid won't get accepted and the seat will be sold at full retail value

DUSZRH

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
What kind of airline would allow for someone to bid below seat value for an empty seat? If they are bidding for the seat to be empty, odds are its going to be empty anyways. That sounds a little odd to me.

Yes, but the empty seat is next to you, not somewhere else in the plane!

stylo777

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 pm

The empty seat is the light-version of the formerly extra-seat which in anyway can be booked for example for music instruments, bigger carryon's, etc.
However, the bidding makes only sense at a SLF between 80-98%. Still not a bad idea to generate lastminute ancilliaries.

enilria

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 pm

How on earth are you going to keep people from sitting in the empty seat you bought?

RJBingham

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Good idea, I've used the empty seat option on Airasia X a few times.

stylo777

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:19 pm

enilria wrote:
How on earth are you going to keep people from sitting in the empty seat you bought?

Crew-enforcement...

Jetty

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm

enilria wrote:

"Sorry, you can not sit in that empty seat, I payed for it".

berari

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Bigger question is, is this not a sign that their planes are flying empty more often that they are now thinking outside the box? Even the ancillary hungry north american airlines are not doing this today, and they enfore everything from which lav to use to whether you have peanuts or a breakfast sandwich.

MANMatthew

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

westaust wrote:
That is actually good thinking, rather than flying an empty seat for 0$, find a way to get some revenues from that empty seat by letting someone use it but not free of charge! If the plane is full, surely the bid won't get accepted and the seat will be sold at full retail value

No flies on you buddy.

jfklganyc

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 pm

People buy 2 seats all the time.

Those are their seats.

No problem. Very common in industry

migair54

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:05 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Those are their seats.

It is true, I know some weatlhy people from for example cinema industry that buy 2 seats to be alone and not having anyone bothering them, I have heard some cases of fans getting the info about the star travelling and booking a seat in the same flight same class and try everything they can to get next seat to him/her.

berari wrote:
Bigger question is, is this not a sign that their planes are flying empty more often that they are now thinking outside the box? Even the ancillary hungry north american airlines are not doing this today, and they enfore everything from which lav to use to whether you have peanuts or a breakfast sandwich.

Maybe not that empty but not with the yield EY needs.

stylo777 wrote:
Crew-enforcement...

Yes, EY will issue a company memo and give them training about this new procedure, the same cabin crew does not allow people seating in business,, eating business class food even if not used if they have economy class seats, or same between first and business.
However for sure sometimes cabin crew will have problems with this.

Cipango

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Those are their seats.

Problem is that one of those 2 seats is technically a "no-show" and this can be difficult with standby travellers.

There was an incident recently I think with this issue on a flight from Hawaii. The passengers debated the issue too much and were kicked off the flight.

Heres a link.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

grbauc

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Cipango wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Those are their seats.

Problem is that one of those 2 seats is technically a "no-show" and this can be difficult with standby travellers.

There was an incident recently I think with this issue on a flight from Hawaii. The passengers debated the issue too much and were kicked off the flight.

Heres a link.

No that guy was had the seat occupied next to him was his older son. He sent him home early and had a lap child and was trying to put his lap child on the seat that was his older sons who took a different flight. When his son no show check in popped up the airline assigned the seat to another customer and the guy tried to use the confusion to get a vacant seat for his lap child.

tmoney

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:28 am

Within the last 3 months on my AUH-USA routes I barely see a plane not go out full. Even so that many has to be bumped up.
But AUH-BKK/SIN? Barely there is any people that I wouldn't be surprised if they down-gauge those to 332s anytime soon.

However, I don't think this thinking correlates much to LF. Theoretically even if there is only one seat empty in the entire Y, if someone pays even a partial price for it, it's still revenue. This is just a value added service/income from the customer/airline standpoint.
Yokes > Side-sticks
Mingarladon heros. RGN.

coolian2

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:04 am

Cipango wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Those are their seats.

Heres a link.

We treated them as EXST (extra seat) bookings at Qantas and the additional seat didn't get counted as a no-show.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

c933103

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:55 am

I was reading a post about Air Astana allowing people to buy up to 3 seats at once as a sleeper but it would cost like 2200USD compare to 550 for one seat
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

Kikko19

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 am

coolian2 wrote:
Cipango wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Those are their seats.

Heres a link.

We treated them as EXST (extra seat) bookings at Qantas and the additional seat didn't get counted as a no-show.

At SAS we do the same. Common practice.

hz747300

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:30 am

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I do think it reflects on loads. I wouldn't mind paying earlier, say up to half price, to guarantee the seat next to me is empty. Especially on a longhaul flight.
Keep on truckin'...

waly777

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 pm

hz747300 wrote:
I don't think it's a bad idea, but I do think it reflects on loads. I wouldn't mind paying earlier, say up to half price, to guarantee the seat next to me is empty. Especially on a longhaul flight.

It doesnt reflect on the loads. Load factor are seasonal and vary by leg direction as well. If the flight is full of fare paying guests, then there won't be empty seats, if the flight is light then you can at least guarantee empty seats next to you.

This is pure ancillary revenue.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

waly777

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:31 pm

enilria wrote:

By having neighbour seat covers placed on the seats to indicate that it is reserved and not to be used by other guests.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

Indy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 pm

This is a brilliant idea. Allows the airline to sell unused seats and allows a person to purchase extra space without paying for a much more expensive ticket in F cabin. Also, this allows a PoS to purchase an extra seat without the embarrassment. The airline may not get a lot of sales but anything that comes from this will be a bonus.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

fallap

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Can you bid on having the entire plane for yourself?
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

jetwet1

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:10 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Those are their seats.

Yep, a friend of mine who worked for a company that had a strict Y only policy stumbled on the fact that with VS, the base fare was always so low, he would pay out of pocket for the extra seat as VS did not charge the fuel surcharge and there was no extra APD to collect, plus they gave him credit for miles and status, if I am remembering correctly it was around $100 round trip.....

OA260

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:35 am

Cipango wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Those are their seats.

Most airlines are used to dealing with this. I have in the past bought an extra seat when the fare has been very low on longer flights just to keep the middle seat free when traveling in Y. I just book it as Mr Spare Seat and alert the gate agent and it has never been an issue. On my last flight the gate agent just asked me to make sure they didnt scan the BP when boarding but to retain the BP for the crew if needed.