readytotaxi
Topic Author

Would you take a later flight pls sir, the best offer you've had.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Going back a good few years ago :old: I was at old DEN waiting for a flight to LGW with CO on a DC10. The flight was overbooked and they were asking for people to give up their seats. At the time I was travelling in J and on holiday so no rush to get home the next day.I approached the desk and asked what was on offer. Wow I could not believe it, Overnight hotel at Denver airport, morning flight to JFK in First and BA First Class to LHR that night, Of course I took it, great fun. There must some other great stories out there when the Pixie dust falls on you.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Cubsrule

Re: Would you take a later flight pls sir, the best offer you've had.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:31 pm

I had a period where I was doing STL-BDL on RP a lot. The flights were virtually always weight restricted if they needed an alternate, and I knew that the offer was $250 plus a flight through ORD that arrived 90 minutes later. It got to the point where I would check the weather and plan to arrive on the ORD flight if the weather was bad. I paid for quite a few vacations with the vouchers.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

dc9northwest

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 pm

DEN-SEA hot and high, in Summer... 1300 USD, flew 24h later

11725Flyer

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Hard to believe, but in my 30+ years on the road, I've never taken an offer to be bumped. Maybe someday.

dfwjim1

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:49 am

In November, 1993 my wife and I were to fly from SFO to HNL on HA during the time that AA's flight attendants went on strike. When we arrived at the gate at SFO, HA was offering free round trip tickets to Hawaii to those who gave up their seats. My wife and I took up HA's offer...HA flew us to LA on US Air, paid for our lunches at LAX and put us on a same day flight from LAX to HNL.

In 1994 we used our free tickets for another wonderful trip to Hawaii!

B747forever

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:28 am

Latest offer was last Monday on AA LAX-HNL. Overbooked by 4. Offer was $1500 in travel voucher for each pax and confirmed seats on the UA flight departing 7hrs later. Unfortunately could not take that offer.
Work Hard, Fly Right

zrs70

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:09 am

My best bump was on a UA mileage run LAX-IAD-LHR-IAD-LAX. I was to be on the ground just a few hours in LHR. I used two System Wdies upgrades, and I was confirmed the entire way into business (the domestic legs were also on 3 cabin planes).

Got to IAD, and they were seeking volunteers for a later LHR flight. I explained that I was fine going back to LAX, so long as I could get my original flight miles and my system wide back.

They gave me a $600 voucher for the bump and sent me back to LAX in F. But my LAX flight was overbooked, so I took a second bump for a $300 voucher.

I ended up getting a full refund for the ticket, $900 in vouchers, and actual flight miles for LAX-IAD-LHR-IAD-LAX. I got to spend the night in my own bed. And everything was above board!
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

CV990A

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:28 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
I've never taken an offer to be bumped. Maybe someday.

Same here, but that's probably because the best offer I've ever had was a $300 travel voucher for a DFW-IAD AA flight...
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

11725Flyer

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:23 am

CV990A wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:
I've never taken an offer to be bumped. Maybe someday.

Same here, but that's probably because the best offer I've ever had was a $300 travel voucher for a DFW-IAD AA flight...

Ditto. I think the best offer I ever had was for about that amount, but in coach vs. first class. Sorry, but I want to get there on time while sitting in front.

george77300

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:30 am

Back in 2003 on Virgin from LAX to LHR and we were in Economy and they overbooked so we were offered Business Class on the next flight only 2 hours later. No doubt we took the offer.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A20N A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A388

B712 B733 B734 B735 B738 B742 B744 B752 B763 B772 B77E B773 B77W B788

AT75 AT76 B190 C208 DH3T E175 P46T SF34 SR20 SR22 TBM8

CrimsonNL

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:00 am

Me and my father were offered $1000 in travel credit on UA for taking ORD-CDG-AMS instead of a direct ORD-AMS. It included being moved to Y+ as well so a pretty sweet deal. Sadly AF had overbooked our CDG-AMS flight and bumped us because of low priority status and pointing the finger to UA. So we got stuck for 7 hours in CDG. After all it was worth it getting an extra vacation out of the travel credit the year after!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

jumpjets

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 am

I have never had a decent offer myself but many years ago a friend travelling J with BA from JFK-LHR was once offered an overnight in a New York hotel followed by a trip home the next day on Concorde if she would give up her seat. She said no!

vatveng

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:09 am

Only been on one flight that asked for volunteers (DEN in August 2003) but I was told I wasn't eligible for the offer because I was connecting and they were only allowing O&D pax to volunteer.

brucetiki

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:56 am

No offers for me sadly, though I dare say offers for anything out of ADL would be rare at best.

flipdewaf

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:43 am

I was once offered $800 CAD on a YYZ-LHR flight that was overbooked, I had a heavily preggers wife at home so decided not to offer up to volunteer (there was no rush so I would have got it). When I told my wife I was chastised for not taking it and arriving home a day later.

Fred

OA260

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:18 am

Years ago I was flying DL LAX-ATL-LGW and they needed people to get off the ATL-LGW and route ATL-FRA-LGW. I was one of the few that took it and got $500 and a free flight anywhere on their network in Y. Not bad seeing as I was on the lowest fare available.

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:38 pm

I've only accepted an offer once. I flew LHR-IAD-GSO instead of LHR-EWR-GSO in return for USD $1000 vouchers and LHR-IAD in EconomyPlus. I consider this a win-win, UA bumped me off the overbooked LHR-EWR without significantly disrupting my travel plans, and I had enough credit to almost entirely pay for SYD-LAX-EWR/rt during a sale. Happy days.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

entdoc

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 am

many years ago JFK TLV on LY with wife and child
always used to get there early to try to beg exit row seats
(this in the era before extra $$ for those seats)
heard the ground crew muttering about overbooking
jumped up and volunteered for the bump
luckily we were bumped.

meal vouchers at JFK and virgin to LHR connect to LY only 3 hours later.
oh and 3 RT anywhere LY flew (used them for TLV LAX few months later)

get to LY gate at LHR. again hear muttering about overbooking
the wife was gung ho and wanted to go for it!
the kid and I were tired so we passed on that one!

gunsontheroof

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 am

Tried twice on overbooked ATL-SEA with DL. Something like $450 in vouchers to take the next flight out. I was traveling alone both times. First time, there weren't many volunteers and something like 2-3 seats were needed. Second time, the guy who was supposed to take my seat never showed, so no vouchers either time.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

afterburner33

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 am

Was on an overbooked ORD-LHR flight on AA once. The announcements started off offering $500USD, then it went to $750, then they got desperate and it went to $1000. Unfortunately it was in the form of travel vouchers on AA (or partners), otherwise I might have gone for it. I was also tempted to say 'throw in a business class upgrade and it's a deal'. Unfortunately I had fairly concrete travel arrangements onward from LHR which couldn't easily be changed.

VSMUT

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:57 pm

I was asked to take an earlier flight once. 5 minutes later I was airborne and on my way home :)

teachpdx

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:21 am

Back in my college days (~2007) I was flying home from school for Spring Break TUL-DEN-PDX on UA. The evening TUL-DEN flight was oversold and I said I would take their offer ($500 voucher, overnight suite at hotel, flying confirmed F in the morning) as long as they could get my checked bag out of the plane. Well they did, and I had a great stay in Tulsa, and got home the next morning, only 9 hours later than I would have otherwise.

Super80Fan

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Unfortunately not yet. Two times on Delta, but they had some no-shows so back on the plane for me.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

redzeppelin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:28 pm

I've volunteered to bump several times at the check-in kiosk, but I've only "succeeded" once. In 2013, I bumped off of a MSP-BZN flight on DL. The offer was to re-route via SLC and arrive about 4 hours later, with a voucher for $400, IIRC. I used the voucher the very next month to pay for a previously planned family trip.

vhtje

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 am

Flying to SYD from LHR on AY in J - our preferred route as it is a bargain compared to BA/QF - we have been bumped twice.

The first time was six years ago about a week before Christmas. There had been heavy snowfall all over Northern Europe including England, and flights were delayed. We got to the airport and I quickly realised that our aircraft for our flight to HEL, that was due to leave in 90 minutes, had not even left HEL yet. That meant that we were not going to make our connection to HKG in HEL. AY was not checking anyone in and it was chaos at the check-in desks - I think three flights had backed up by now. So I got on the phone and called the AY customer services and she told me that we would be accommodated in HEL oovernight for the next day’s flight. I explained that was no good - we only had clothes for summer in Sydney, not winter in Helsinki. I almost heard the penny drop. I looked at the board and there were 4 oneworld flights to HKG leaving within the next four hours, all of which would mean we would make our connection to Sydney. I pointed out these alternatives and mentioned that I was oneworld emerald and that I was now heading to the QF check-in and to please sort it out before I got there. She did - QF handed us boarding passes for seats 1 & 2 A in a 744, so a nice upgrade. We made our original connection to SYD on CX from HKG, arriving in HKG slightly earlier than our original AY flight from HEL.

The second time was last year. I noticed on the AY app just as we arrived at LHR that my AY flight had changed to an SQ flight to SIN. I got to check in to be told that the AY flight HEL to HKG was oversold so they had instead bumped us to SYD on SQ via SIN instead - he said it was better as it was one fewer stop to Sydney. Fine, but I want the BA points, so I stamped my little feet and demanded to be put on oneworld metal, not SQ. The agent went a nice pale shade when he realised what he had done. So instead we were put on the QF flight via DXB but no upgrade.

There was no compensation in either instance, sadly.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

LOWS

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:54 pm

I've only taken it once.

CMH-ORD-OKC: $1000 voucher and morning confirmed F on UA from ORD-OKC.

Shrewfly

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 am

Holiday in Mexico, booked in VS Premium Economy.

As always, I ask if the flight is full. She responds that it's massively overbooked.

Knowing I had an overnight connection in LGW I volunteer there and then.

They snapped it up there and then. Sent to the bar and told to return in 30mins.

Delta (economy) to JFK.... Virgin Upper Class to LHR.

Pointed out to them I had a connection in LGW. Given a number to call on arrival, upper class chauffeur service to LGW in time to make my connection.

Then upgraded at the gate with Delta and full longer access in JFK and LGW

2Holer4Longhaul

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:18 am

A couple of years ago, I was due to fly UA EWR-ORD-SFO. The first leg was overbooked, and I told them I'd be happy taking the nonstop if it helped. Soon afterwards, I was on the nonstop.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

bgboiflyer

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:57 am

I would if the constraints were just a couple hours and I had extra time, I was offered only $500 in SEA for a regional flight, but it was the last flight of the day.

blueflyer

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Everything is subjective. The best offer I can think of didn't involve money or upgrade...

I was once stuck at EWR coming home after spending 4 weeks away on a 2-week business trip in the less charming parts of Europe. All flights running hours late due to weather. Agent gave me a choice between waiting for my scheduled flight, or downgrading to coach and running to the gate to catch another flight and be home a few hours earlier. I ran... Got full mileage without asking too. Hadn't paid for the ticket so no idea how much was refunded.
MAGag

2122M

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 pm

I was booked on 2 overbooked flights in 2 days from Steamboat Springs to Chicago back in 2011. In no rush to get back to Chicago so I ended up with 2 extra nights hotel in Steamboat with meal vouchers on Delta and $1,200 in Delta vouchers. Not a bad gig at all.

Tenaja85

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

The best I had was back in September, DEN-AUS. $450 plus an upgrade to Y+ to take a flight that left 2 1/2 hours later. Pretty good payout for that length of time!

Birdwatching

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:48 pm

I have a pretty awesome story. Was booked to fly ATL-MUC on DL but actually needed to get to STR. When I got to the gate they were desperately trying to find volunteers to take tomorrow's flight, along with a hefty compensation. So I walked up to the podium and pointed to the Stuttgart flight that was about to board a couple of gates away, "would that help maybe?"
The gate agent was super happy, she still needed to bump a load of pax. "Yes there is one open seat on the STR, let me print this for you and you're good to go."
My jaw dropped a couple of inches when I was first not handed a boarding pass, but a, wait for it, $1300 voucher to be used on future DL flights.
And then came the new boarding pass. The one open seat was in Business.
Needless to say, I flew across the Atlantic with a big smile on my face. Using the wifi that was free on that flight for some reason, I managed to cancel the train ticket home just before midnight in Germany, so I got a refund. What an awesome flight!
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

airtrainer

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 pm

The only offer I've seen was on NW CDG-DTW back in 2001. There was a written sign at check-in asking for volunteers to take the same flight one day later and a $400 cash compensation. I was flying with a group that day and we needed to be at our destination so I didn't take it :(
More rencently I was boarding a flight at BRU when an AA flight was boarding at the next gate, the gate agent was asking for volunteers willing to give their seat with an upgrade to J for the next flight...
On long haul flights I always ask if the flight is overbooked and say that I wouldn't mind taking a later flight in that case, the gate agents are always happy to hear that but I've never had any luck on that.
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Runway28L

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Not a later flight but an earlier flight for this one.

Was scheduled to fly on a US A321 from MCO to CLT. Arrived at airside earlier than expected because I guess I got lucky with MCO TSA lines. Upon arriving at the gate the gate agents asked if I wanted an earlier flight to CLT that was about to board which ended up being a 767-200 that would be retired in a few months as well as an entire row to myself. Instantly took up that offer. Ended up with a long layover where I got to eat a nice dinner and planespot for 3 hours. I think that was a satisfying deal :D
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

jetblueguy22

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:01 am

My voucher story is full of goofiness. Was flying back to school from spring break at home, BDL-MSP-GFK. Flight from BDL-MSP got to the gate in MSP and the gate was broken. Sat for 45 minutes, missed my connection, last flight of the night. Had to fight for a hotel because of the mechanical issues, eventually got it and rebooked for first thing the next morning. But the next problem was there was a blizzard hitting GFK the next day. Get to the airport, first flight cancelled. Rebooked on a second, but I checked the METAR and I knew we were doomed there too. They were taking volunteers because of the extra fuel they needed to carry, but I had to get to work that night so I didn't budge. We boarded and pushed only to start the engines and go right back to the gate. That one was cancelled.

Flight number three, third time is a charm, right? I got a call that work was closed and that opened up my opportunity should another voucher opportunity arise. I looked at the weather once again, and knew we were doomed. There was another gentleman in the same circumstance as I and we were chatting. I told him there was no way we were going this time either. But it should be clear enough by the fourth flight. They came over the intercom and offered a $500 voucher, but everyone had been cancelled so many times already, nobody was biting. I knew I could hold out for a little bit more. Finally they offered $750, a lunch voucher, and a seat on the next flight. Looked at the guy next to me and said I'm taking it since we weren't going anyways. Get my voucher but hung around the gate, they started boarding. Guy looks at me and says "Guess you were wrong."

That kind of irked me but hey, I guess I was. Made my way to the next gate, only to have that guy show up 45 minutes later to try and get on that flight because the previous one was cancelled! So I got paid $750 to take a flight that I would have been on anyways. That wasn't even the goofiest part. I was sitting next to a guy on the second flight who works for a computer parts distributor in northern Minnesota. He and I got to chatting and he was telling me how he was just getting back from a trip to PVG. I told him that was a funny coincidence, my stepdad works in circuit board chemistry and he was just returned from PVG the previous day. Sure enough I told him his name and they had a meeting the previous week where he bought one of my stepfather's products! Small world.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Kno

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 am

Nothing crazy - bumped to first class fot EGE-DFW on a 757 and DFW-BOS on an md80 (AA of course) after a snow storm once. I've taken offers here and there for a couple hundred bucks... Usually if I'm in the mood I jump right on it but maybe I should be holding out more if you guys are getting 1000 + lol. Delta gave me a couple hundred after their whole computer melt down that delayed or cancelled all flights a year and a half ago. All in all my 757 BOS-ATL was delayed 7hrs but the connecting 763 was also delayed about 7hrs so I stuck with my original flights with a pleasant amount of time to connect.

WA727

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:11 pm

A $500 voucher from HP (America West) in 1989 to take a later flight from PHX to SAN on a busy holiday weekend. The RT ticket was only about $80. I used the $500 later in the year to fly RT PHX-HNL on their 742s.

SmithAir747

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:44 pm

In June 2010 I was travelling from SFO to BOS. I was booked on UA nonstop SFO to BOS (an A320). When I got to the gate that morning, the flight was overbooked and they were asking for volunteers to give up their seats for a $400 voucher. Just across the concourse there happened to be a 747-400, UA flight 54 (SFO-ORD). I inquired about getting on the 747 to ORD and connecting to BOS; they gave me the $400 voucher and put me on the 747 to ORD and a connection to BOS. It was indeed a nice surprise to get on a 747 domestic!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

zrs70

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 am

My best was a UA mileage run, LAX-IAD-LHR-IAD-LAX, with only hours on the ground in LHR. I had used two SWU's, one for each direction, so was in business class.

LAX-IAD went as scheduled.

IAD-LHR was overbooked. I volunteered for $500 voucher and told them I was fine going right back to LAX, so long as I could still earn the original flight credit to LHR. "NO prob" they said.

They put me on the next flight to LAX, which was also overbooked. I got another $300. They also refunded both SWU's, even though my domestic flights were both upgraded.

At the end of the day, I got:

$800 in vouchers
a partial ticket refund (because I never made it to LHR)
mileage as though I did the entire trip
Free domestic upgrades
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

CairnterriAIR

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:29 am

Years ago on USAir from PIT to BDL....midday flight oversold, took the compensation for the next flight 3 hrs later. Got a meal and $800. I was very very happy.