Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

American relaxes it's Non-rev dress code

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:42 pm

Link/Source: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-rel ... ress-code/

"If you’re a “non-rev” passenger on American Airlines, you can now wear leggings… or shorts, flip-flops, baseball caps or even jogging suits. No matter if you’re flying economy, business or even first class."
"This week, AA relaxed its non-rev (passengers who are employees or family/friends of employees) dress code."

"Effective immediately, AA has dropped its list of forbidden clothing. Instead, there’s just a general guideline that clothing just must be “neat and clean” and it can’t “offend or distract.”

If you going to list for non-rev travel in business class or 1st class at least come dressed in business casual attire.
If you want to fly and come in a "more relaxed style", or looking like you just rolled out of bed, then buy your ticket.

airportugal310

Re: American relaxes it's Non-rev dress code

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:12 am

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
If you going to list for non-rev travel in business class or 1st class at least come dressed in business casual attire.
If you want to fly and come in a "more relaxed style", or looking like you just rolled out of bed, then buy your ticket.

Ummm...why would you do that if you don't have to? To satisfy your fantasy of days gone by?

K
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

aa777lvr

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:23 am

airportugal310 wrote:
AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

Ummm...why would you do that if you don't have to? To satisfy your fantasy of days gone by?

K

How about because you have respect for yourself and your travel privileges? I've been in this business 23 years and I've never worn shorts or open toe shoes. The relaxed dress code is to keep NRSA's from "standing out" among revenue passengers. Personally, I think a business casual (button-down shirt or polo would suffice), but airlines now are mostly going "full trailer trash" when it comes to their non-rev dress code for some reason. Uggghh!!

AA777LVR

travaz

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:43 am

I pay for an F ticket when I fly domestic and I wear a nice polo and clean jeans that are not ripped or have holes and good shoes (If I have to evacuate I want good footwear). Some of the outfits I see in F are fit for the privacy of your own home and nowhere else. I agree with aa777lvr. If I was getting a free ticket I would wear a tux if that is what is required. Your plane your rules.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:00 am

aa777lvr wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:
AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

K

How about because you have respect for yourself and your travel privileges? I've been in this business 23 years and I've never worn shorts or open toe shoes. The relaxed dress code is to keep NRSA's from "standing out" among revenue passengers. Personally, I think a business casual (button-down shirt or polo would suffice), but airlines now are mostly going "full trailer trash" when it comes to their non-rev dress code for some reason. Uggghh!!

AA777LVR

I'd think the old rules would make NRSA's stand out from the masses now wouldn't they?

But I do agree, wear something nice if you're flying non-rev. Just because you want to be comfortable in flight doesn't mean you need to dress down.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

polywad6963

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:54 am

I see nothing wrong with a polo/jeans clothed toe shoes when flying NRSA. You are representing the airline which is allowing you to use a travel benefit. At least show respect for the company, even if you can't respect yourself and wear whatever you choose. Just because an airline says you can wear whatever, doesn't mean you can't exceed the minimum.

DTWorld

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:06 am

polywad6963 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with a polo/jeans clothed toe shoes when flying NRSA. You are representing the airline which is allowing you to use a travel benefit. At least show respect for the company, even if you can't respect yourself and wear whatever you choose. Just because an airline says you can wear whatever, doesn't mean you can't exceed the minimum.

This!

I always cringe when I see people who I know are non-revs end up in business class with very revealing clothing or something excessively torn / stained. I'll cut slack for a toddler, but come on.

Dressing in inappropriate attire is not only showing a lack of respect to the company, but also to the person who gave you his/her buddy passes so you can fly for peanuts and his/her employment is in your hands of how you conduct yourself from the moment you set foot in an airport. I couldn't believe how much flack I got from family and friends alike when I had to make that abundantly clear to them during that whole legging scandal pre Dr. Dao UA.

JRL3289

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:10 am

This is a complete nonissue unless you happen to know exactly which passengers paid for their tickets. I understand a corporate policy being in place - which should be honored for as long as it exists - but it has to change with the times. Not too long ago corporate America was very formal, but now we have summer Fridays, business casual, etc. that are the norm. As a society we have gravitated toward the informal (compared to the past), so what difference does it make if a non-rev dresses similar to or less than a revenue passenger?

cwa2toa

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:41 am

Back in the day when I flew SA, I hated nylons and heels. And until TWA relaxed it's women's standards, a decent pant suit wasn't even acceptable. My dad quit ties when he retired after 42 years in the offices, and if he flew up front with my Mom, he wore a bolo tie. He said it's a tie, isn't it?
We always followed the rules, because that pass was gold and the seniority number on it was platinum when it came to getting on board.

I've never worn open toes on an airplane, my feet get too cold. I'll wear trainers or loafers and like the poster above, I want decent shoes if there is an emergency. My idiot husband flew to Indy from LAX and wore flip flops. Got off the airplane into a hailstorm which turned into snow. He had to drive around to find a store that was open late (Wally World) and pick up a pair of shoes and sox. I was working so I couldn't pack for him.
We’ll pick a star
in the twilight canopy
and search the world
for the sights you long to see.
Your heart is young,
you’re alive, so come with me.

TWA, up, up, and away!
:airplane:

Mir

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 am

polywad6963 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with a polo/jeans clothed toe shoes when flying NRSA. You are representing the airline which is allowing you to use a travel benefit.

Except that they're not representing the airline. That's the whole point - the airline wants pass riders to blend in with the rest of the passengers, so nobody should be able to look at someone else on the plane and say "that's an employee riding for free".

Not that I'm in favor of allowing flip-flops or tracksuits for non-revs, because one can still have some standards, but I see nothing wrong with leggings or shorts or someone wearing a baseball cap as long as they look decent.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

B727skyguy

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:02 am

Stylish and comfortable do not need to be mutually exclusive. It's sad how sloppy many Americans have become. It's not uncommon to see people on the street, in the supermarket, or in the airport wearing their pajamas.

One of the most shocking things I saw a few years ago was a college age couple wearing ratty shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops in business class on an international flight. After the guy announced, in a loud voice, that his mother was a flight attendant with the airline (i.e. "I'm traveling on a free pass"), he proceeded to walk into the lav barefoot!

oldannyboy

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:56 am

The whole issue remains as far too many people feel it's ok to dress as slobs, especially in the UK and the US. In other countries people tend to have some more "dress decency", but some people just don't get it. All they care is that 'they are comfortable', which is ok only up to a limit... Just the other day I flew next to what must have easily been a 70yo lady wearing ripped jeans hot-pants, flip flops, and a miniscule tank top which left little to the imagination.... the vision of her flabby sun-burned shriveled skin and her crooked toes was not pleasant.

polywad6963

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Mir wrote:
polywad6963 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with a polo/jeans clothed toe shoes when flying NRSA. You are representing the airline which is allowing you to use a travel benefit.

"Except that they're not representing the airline." **

Is the airline representing the employee then? When I was a baggage handler for DL out of STL, we had a dress code that was set forth in the policy. You don't follow it, you don't fly NRSA. Buddy pass users reflect upon the employee, the employee reflects upon the airline. I am sure more than one person has had the benefit suspended or revoked by the airline.

**I don't know how to include the quote by the person that responded to my responce, so I included the part I am rebutting and quoted his reply.

aeromoe

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Mir wrote:
polywad6963 wrote:
Except that they're not representing the airline. That's the whole point.

Exactly!!!
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:15 pm

It's not uncommon to see people on the street, in the supermarket, or in the airport wearing their pajamas.
I know what you mean and I agree but how do we know that those flannel pants they're wearing are actually what they wear to sleep and therefore would qualify as pajamas. Maybe they were nothing to sleep and the flannel pants are what they wear outside of sleeping / bed time?
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

PI4EVER

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm

I don't feel I represent the airline when I non-rev, but I understand it is a privilege I worked hard for and the rules are of no bother.
I find comfort in knowing I have a nice appearance and yet can easily dress comfortably for the trip.
I wear collared shirts, dark Docker type slacks in most cases, sometimes nice jeans and add a dark sport coat depending on weather.
I flew just this weekend to DCA. I did travel in Docker type pants knowing full well the heat index was 100+, but I have never worn shorts
on any type flight. In training, I did evacuation drills in a pair of shorts and regretted the static burns for days! Never ever again, and no one
traveling with me is permitted to wear shorts. I haven't evacuated a plane since, but that searing memory is lasting!
Airline employees and their families learn early on there are expectations for the privilege to fly free. This is all nonsense that a "relaxed" code is
even necessary. I prefer to NOT look like the general public (the guy sitting across from me Friday wearing a bathing suit & flip flops) so I know my
airline will NOT deny me boarding for inappropriate attire EVER!
Rules for proper attire should not be an issue for anyone who enjoys the privilege of flying free. Period. Do it, or go buy a ticket on a train, bus or other airline. Pick your battles.
watch what you want. you may get it.

AY104

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:43 am

No shorts for me either. Having worked for two US carriers and one European carrier for over 25 years (Finnair, Western and Delta), I have come to respect the need for a certain non-rev dress code. As I no longer have any type of non-rev privileges - having not worked for an airline since 1997 - the dress code does not affect me. However, it seems wrong to me to have absolutely no rules at all for non-rev travel. Common sense does not seem to work at all. Leggings IMO are an unacceptable form of attire for any occasion except the gym or yoga class. It is possible to be casual and tidy without looking like a slob. Male and female alike, especially here in Vancouver, seem to take a pride in dressing down and being very successful in making themselves look as dirty and sloppy as possible. It scares me to think that this lack of personal appearance, and often hygiene, would extend into the cabin of an aircraft. It appears that the effort to make oneself as unattractive as possible has become an art.
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service