Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wizzair changes check-in procedures

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:18 am

I was to check-in a W6 flight to find that now check-in online it is only before 48h

Until last week or so it was a 30-day free check-in period.

Anyone has any idea on whether there are other changes in addition to this and the hand luggage?

They seem to be copying Ryanair; however Ryanair allows for 96h for check-in online before flying.

Flyingabout

Re: Wizzair changes check-in procedures

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 am

They're inconvenient policies aimed at getting people to pay for "peace of mind" by checking in earlier (and being bombarded with more last minute add-ons). First it was about conditioning the public to do their own check-in, now it's about doing it a few hours in advance, although I can see it reverting back to the old system in future if it causes delays.

Easy to avoid being caught out though, just download their apps for checking in on your phone (save paper!) and put a reminder on your calendar if you need reminding. Air travel is changing - gone are the days of queueing for a boarding pass, thankfully.

TKA380

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:41 am

It's probably to catch people out and increase revenue since they're changing their policy on cabin bag to allow for the larger size for free.

I flew Wizzair recently and the experience was awful from BUD to BHX. The flight was fine however the gate staff ruined it by trying to tell me I had missed my flight and close the door in my face as I was at the back of the queue (and didn't have my passport out as I had an important phone call to take). I'd understand it if the flight wasn't delayed 2 hours already due to operational reasons.

He then refused to give his name and hid his name badge. The other gate staff were fine and just told me to go through! Very strange situation, but won't use them again.

shamrock350

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm

It's just to get you to purchase a seat, if you've pre-selected a seat the check in window is extended to 30 days before departure. Now that they've done away with the hand baggage charges they'll be looking at other ways to generate revenue, they'll be pushing passengers to purchase additional extras a lot more now.

Personally I quite like Wizzair, they've got great crews, nice aircraft, a decent overall product for an LCC and very low fares. I fly to Eastern Europe a lot, mainly Poland and Lithuania and they're often much cheaper than Ryanair.

LTenEleven

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Checked luggage fees being optimised. The weight of a standard piece is being decreased from 23 to 20kg.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Flyingabout wrote:
Easy to avoid being caught out though, just download their apps for checking in on your phone (save paper!) and put a reminder on your calendar if you need reminding. Air travel is changing - gone are the days of queueing for a boarding pass, thankfully.

Wizzair does not allow online check-in out of some airports (believe it or not). I also like always printing the Boarding Passes.

TKA380 wrote:
I flew Wizzair recently and the experience was awful from BUD to BHX. The flight was fine however the gate staff ruined it by trying to tell me I had missed my flight and close the door in my face as I was at the back of the queue (and didn't have my passport out as I had an important phone call to take). I'd understand it if the flight wasn't delayed 2 hours already due to operational reasons.

He then refused to give his name and hid his name badge. The other gate staff were fine and just told me to go through! Very strange situation, but won't use them again.

I have flown Wizzair a few times and I didn't have a good vibe about them. Maybe it is the Eastern European customer service thing + low-cost vibe.

So I only fly them when a) only in the route, b) cheaper than FR and/or c) better times than FR. Also they seem consistently have delays. I even had to call once their call service and it seemed useless, like talking to some Soviet customer service office. At least FR customer service on the phone is cheerful and work well. Give me Ryanair any given day.