Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jawaiiansky66
Topic Author

Navi - any other magazines about the running of an airline?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 pm

Really impressed with Air Canada's new separate mini-magazine NAVI ( https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... /navi.html ) now found in the seat pockets (real and virtual) of all AC flights. That got me to thinking if there are any other existing airlines who offer something similar - a separate magazine that strictly focuses on the inner workings of the airline. Any thoughts?

jaybird

Re: Navi - any other magazines about the running of an airline?

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 am

Nice - thanks for sharing! Wish more airlines did it ..

jmmadrid

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 am

Amazing! Exactly what an airline magazine should be. No articles about exotic cities, asian beaches, visits to vineyards or Michelin restaurants. Just planes, route maps and "vintage style" schedules.

Vasu

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:25 am

jmmadrid wrote:
Amazing! Exactly what an airline magazine should be. No articles about exotic cities, asian beaches, visits to vineyards or Michelin restaurants. Just planes, route maps and "vintage style" schedules.

Couldn't agree more! No need to read about exotic places or cities I'm either not flying to or, if I am, I've already researched on the internet.

I also cannot stand seeing the same adverts for money transfer services or shoes that add a few inches to your height... just give me information about the airline! I guarantee it won't just be av-geeks who find it semi interesting.

Jawaiiansky66
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:12 pm

jmmadrid wrote:

Actually, AC's inflight magazine ENROUTE features those types of articles and does a pretty good job too. Regardless of what you think of AC, they have fantastic and innovative inflight magazines on offer.
http://enroute.aircanada.com/

longhauler

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:42 pm

Navi is the coolest magazine.

Small, only about 9" x 6", with a harder cover with spine and filled with everything that an A-netter would love. It is changed monthly, odd for its content which is not changing all that much, except, it has something I have not seen in years and that is a printed airline timetable, with an even smaller format.

As noted, enRoute still exists, (and wins multiple awards), only now it no longer includes the aircraft techinical information included in Navi.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Jawaiiansky66
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:21 am

longhauler wrote:

Small, only about 9" x 6", with a harder cover with spine and filled with everything that an A-netter would love. It is changed monthly, odd for its content which is not changing all that much, except, it has something I have not seen in years and that is a printed airline timetable, with an even smaller format.

As noted, enRoute still exists, (and wins multiple awards), only now it no longer includes the aircraft techinical information included in Navi.

Nicely put! Glad that Tyler Brule encouraged AC to do this interesting and unique little zine for people like us who love aviation. My only fear is that AC will eventually cut this if costs start to climb. Its a keeper in my books.

I know that airlines like Lufthansa, KLM, Swissair, Japan Airlines, BA, Cathay and SAS have done quite a bit of separate airline information booklets over the years. As a kid I would ask for such items and was surprised with what i got back. My favourite was Lufthansa and KLM. They always put a lot of effort into creating aviation materials. Lufthansa had the best aircraft spec booklets around (back in the 70's).

WesternA318

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:30 am

jmmadrid wrote:

Or entire sections of advertising of plastic surgeons...

flyyul

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 am

Wink Creative lead by Tyler Brule won the RFP to rebrand AC starting with the new livery. Navi the AC Service guide about its people, aircraft, routes and products was a concept created by Ben Smith and the numerous aviation enthusiasts at AC. Wink was hired to bring the concept into production.

polaris

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:21 am

An excellent magazine! The May issue is sitting on my desk staring at me. I wish there was a printable pdf version available. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get a printed version is to check the seatpocket when you fly. Including the monthly condensed timetable is brilliant for those of us who are into timetables.

767333ER

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:54 am

longhauler wrote:

That sums it up pretty well.

It does make sense though as the release of the new livery and website, the final step in the evolution of the brand called for a change in that material in the enRoute magazine, especially the fleet page with the new livery and the unfortunate addition of the 737. Instead of making small changes to enRoute they decided to go a step beyond and make it into it's own unique magazine rather than just another usual airline's magazine. I have a copy of both the June and July issues and there are quite a few differences, the most notable in my opinion being the CS300 finally being added into the fleet page for the first time on the July issue. That's something that won't change again, but some of the other content changes as well, most other things that were emoted from enRoute. I could see them getting away with something like a seasonal/quarterly release though. They also change many of the people featured in the magazine while a few others they don't.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!