Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Vasu
Topic Author

Do airlines have to inform of equipment change?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:23 am

That's the question: do airlines have to inform you of a change in equipment?

I'd booked some flights early next year with W6, and was excited to see the A321 seat map when I went to select seats. Got the confirmation, including paid for seats.

Went onto my Wizz app yesterday to nosily see how the flight was filling up, only to find an A320 seat map with no seats selected for us and the option to purchase them. The system hadn't even assigned us replacement seats - nothing.

Called their call centre and explained the situation, and got new seats selected after what seemed to be quite a while.

But it just seemed quite bad that Wizz weren't going to tell us about the equipment change or the loss of our prepaid seats. Is there surely not an obligation to do so? As I explained to the representative, most other passengers probably won't be obsessively checking the app and would only notice that they've lost their paid for seats at online check in. She just accepted that - she had no answer or solution...

mmo

Re: Do airlines have to inform of equipment change?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:27 am

The carriers are under no legal obligation to inform you of any equipment changes.

Vasu
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:42 am

mmo wrote:
The carriers are under no legal obligation to inform you of any equipment changes.

I understand that... perhaps my question wording wasn't clear enough - I mean if it essentially wipes out prepaid extras like seat assignments (we had row 35, which exists on an A321 but not A320) and you aren't provided alternatives.

TonyBurr

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:34 am

Unfortunately, airlines can do whatever they want.

mmo

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Vasu wrote:
mmo wrote:

I understand that... perhaps my question wording wasn't clear enough - I mean if it essentially wipes out prepaid extras like seat assignments (we had row 35, which exists on an A321 but not A320) and you aren't provided alternatives.

I thought your question was very clear. Have you tried asking for a refund? But you did get seats, so where is the problem? I know other airlines will refund, if asked, the fees for seat assignment if the equipment changes.

AirbusA343

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm

No, I was booked on a 737-900ER once with TK. We checked in and the seat map showed a 73J. We got on the bus to go to our plane only to find a 738... so no, I don't think they're obliged to inform you.

Vasu
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 pm

mmo wrote:
Vasu wrote:
mmo wrote:

I thought your question was very clear. Have you tried asking for a refund? But you did get seats, so where is the problem? I know other airlines will refund, if asked, the fees for seat assignment if the equipment changes.

Oh yeah, I got it sorted by calling them, but I only noticed because I'm a nutter who periodically checks the seat map for equipment changes or to see how much the flight is filling up. I guess most people don't bother to check and thus lose seat assignments etc. Seems that Wizz were perfectly happy not to refund people and hope they wouldn't care... just seems cheeky.

Then again, £75 for two return flights to Latvia... I'm not exactly going to stop flying Wizz!

Vasu
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am

Update: Wizz realised they should have automatically assigned new seats, apologised and gave me £5 of Wizz credit... happy days!

brucetiki

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:01 am

I've never been notified of equipment changes. Virgin Australia's done it to me twice.

Once a couple of years ago from CFS-MEL. The booking had 737-700, we checked in and picked seats on a 737-700 seat map. On the day, rocked up and it was a 737-800. All it really meant was that the back 8 or so rows were empty.

Earlier this year ADL-MEL. Booked, pick free seat on 737-800. Then, as I normally do, had a random look at my booking, and saw it was now a 737-700. Was a recently refreshed plane with their new economy X seating, which meant the seat pitch for the regular seats is now even more cosier.