Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

Any smoking flights still?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 am

In the past there were many smoking flights. Doesn't seem to have any now. Any smoking flights still>? Is it legal to have a smoking flight? I mean can an airline arrange one?

MalevTU134

Re: Any smoking flights still?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 am

United Airline wrote:
In the past there were many smoking flights. Doesn't seem to have any now. Any smoking flights still>? Is it legal to have a smoking flight? I mean can an airline arrange one?

Yes, some airlines run a smoking flight every now and then. Even BA arranged one a few years back.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... nway-video

But you are absoluely right...there were many smoking flights in the past, unfortunately.

rlwynn

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:15 am

Many smoking flights in the past?

I do not recall was that was not. It was more like every flight was Smoking.

Btblue

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:47 pm

United Airline wrote:

I don't believe there are any though it's possible there may be some in countries such as the Middle East and Russia, possibly China but I would imagine these are non regular passenger flights. I do wonder if you can smoke on a privately hired jet.

I think smoking on European flights came to an end in 2003/4. I certainly remember lighting up a cigarette at the back of an Air Europa 737 PMI-LGW just for the hell of it in 2003. I once flew Garuda, they certainly had smoking in the 2000s on flights to Europe using 747s.

Calder

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I wouldn't mind taking a smoking flight, just for the sake of having the experience.

Revo1059

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

China certainly used to. When MU came into ORD in the 90s I'd see the cockpit crew smoking while taxiing in. They'd open the door and it looked like a haze in there.

Western727

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 pm

I fondly recall being part of a 50-strong contingent from my college on an AVENSA 727-200 (YV-92C) in March of 1997. A couple of minutes after takeoff from MIA (enroute to CCS), we were taken aback by the extinguishing of the "no smoking" lights, after which a good 1/4 of the other pax quickly and nonchalantly lit up. This was right after a 100% nonsmoking AA 727 flight to MIA.

The cigarette smokers in my group (which made up the entire rear 1/3 of the Y cabin) were thrilled to be able to light up, too...and a couple even lit up and quickly finished some smuggled-onboard cannabis joints after the two FAs left the left-rear galley to start serving the front of the Y cabin. That was quite a thing to see. As they reasoned, the cigarette smoke would "take care of it". Sure enough, they did their thing and nothing happened thereafter. ;)

SJPBR

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Calder wrote:
I wouldn't mind taking a smoking flight, just for the sake of having the experience.

Not a good one. And I am a smoker...

Western727

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm also reminded that cigarette smoke isn't good for aircraft. Can someone here remind us of the "why"? Something to do with making the HVAC system less efficient or needing more-frequent mx?

Separately, I recall CI611 (the 742 that broke up due to a defective post-tailstrike repair) had a telltale clue of nicotine stains around the doubler plate that wasn't noticed prior to the incident...and this helped the investigation determine that the repairs done weren't adequate.

gia777

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 pm

bringing fire inside airplane is never ever a good idea

aerolimani

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:14 pm

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/media/2 ... s-off.html

What a pity this wasn’t true.

Edit: I’m being facetious, just for the record.

hawk2100n

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Tar from smoking accumulates extremely quickly in the cabin pressure regulation system and must be cleaned regularly. Incidentally, when smoking was banned on flights in the US, airlines noticed an immediate increase in fuel burn in new a/c because the tar would fill small leaks in the fuselage joins. So that drove improved sealing technology to reduce bleed air consumption.

bombayduck

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Tar from smoking always stained the white interior of the aircraft yellow.

bombayduck

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Calder wrote:

For a non smoker, I would not like this, getting off the flight with all of your clothes smelling of cigarette smoke.

Western727

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 pm

aerolimani wrote:
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/media/2013/06/07/Emirates-to-have-onboard-shisha-lounges-Gulf-satire-takes-off.html

:rotfl: :rotfl:

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:37 pm

To the best of my knowledge the last Convair Coronado was retired some years ago, so I think the answer is no. Shame.

Domjan

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Definitely yes, as long as Tu-154, Tu-134 and An-12 are still flying...
:-)

unimproved

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Western727 wrote:
I'm also reminded that cigarette smoke isn't good for aircraft. Can someone here remind us of the "why"? Something to do with making the HVAC system less efficient or needing more-frequent mx?

Separately, I recall CI611 (the 742 that broke up due to a defective post-tailstrike repair) had a telltale clue of nicotine stains around the doubler plate that wasn't noticed prior to the incident...and this helped the investigation determine that the repairs done weren't adequate.

Nicotine smoke is sticky, which means valves will need a lot more mx. It also makes dust stick to electronics, which might overheat.

Plus the obvious things like yellowing of plastics and holes burnt in seats.

cheesebag

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Awful... remember plenty of them...

nitepilot79

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 pm

aerolimani wrote:
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/media/2013/06/07/Emirates-to-have-onboard-shisha-lounges-Gulf-satire-takes-off.html

Ahh, the good ol' nargile. Funny thing is the tobacco actually smells good. Even funnier, until the tourists find out that it's tobacco, nobody even cares.
Last edited by nitepilot79 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seabosdca

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm

If there are any left anywhere in he world, keep me far away from them.

I spent my youth flying transatlantic every few months. All flights then were smoking flights. When I got off the plane, it hurt to breathe and my clothes reeked of smoke. It would be a couple of days before I felt normal again. Keep your smoke where I don’t have to breathe it.

ExDubai

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Calder wrote:

Start on the flightdeck with an chinese carrier and your dream comes thrue.........

Arion640

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Wasn't the Air Canada DC9 that exploded in the 80's though to be a possible toilet bin fire?

Great post about the BA smoking flight, they tried arranging one in Prague this week too.

longhauler

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Wasn't the Air Canada DC9 that exploded in the 80's thought to be a possible toilet bin fire?

No. The fire originated outside the lavatory shell. The source was never determined.

It has, however, often been used for anti-smoking ammunition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_797

N415XJ

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
Ahh, the good ol' nargile. Funny thing is the tobacco actually smells good. Even funnier, until the tourists find out that it's tobacco, nobody even cares.

I'd imagine it smells so good because you're essentially smoking vapor from the tobacco instead of burning it like a cigarette or cigar. I can't imagine how revolting that stuff would smell if you actually rolled it into a cigar and tried to smoke it.

n92r03

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:23 pm

I read somewhere (probably here) that the smoke/residue stains would show on the exterior of the fuselage and make it much easier for the MX folks to finds the pinhole leaks. Maybe thing only positive for a smoking allowed flight. I'm sure someone can clarify what I'm talking about.

AASAP777

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 pm

:flamed: I remember the first time I flew to Europe on IB from MAD to MIA on the way back. The back of the plane was really foggy!

Also, my flight back from training with AA MIA-SAP. The domestic flights were already non-smoking, so DFW-MIA was smokeless, but, my, as a non-rev got the last seat available for return (coming back from MIA on Easter week to a Latin American destination means a full flight), and they sent me to the back of the plane. Just two hours, but my clothes were smelly with tobacco. :crazy: When I finally managed to fly to Europe with AA in 1997, the systemwide smoking ban was in place.

aerolimani

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm

I'm old enough to have taken a few smoking flights. As a non-smoker, it was pretty horrid. I have enough smoking friends who remember the days of smoking on flights. Even they say they would never want to go back to it. They say that you didn't smoke so much because you wanted to, but when you were surrounded by other people smoking, you didn't really feel like you had a choice.

These days, if you're really desperate, there are airline-permitted options which were non-existent (or simply hard to come by) in the old days; gum, patches, and smokeless inhalers.

CHI787ORD

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 pm

KU was still flying short haul smoking flights in the Middle East at least until 2005-2006. Longhaul was all non-smoking.

LTU932

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 am

Revo1059 wrote:
China certainly used to. When MU came into ORD in the 90s I'd see the cockpit crew smoking while taxiing in. They'd open the door and it looked like a haze in there.
When was that? Because I remember that in the mid 90s, around 96 or 97, they banned transatlantic smoking flights into the US, and I'm certain the US would have demanded that from transpacific flights as well back then.

nitepilot79

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm

N415XJ wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:

I'd imagine it smells so good because you're essentially smoking vapor from the tobacco instead of burning it like a cigarette or cigar. I can't imagine how revolting that stuff would smell if you actually rolled it into a cigar and tried to smoke it.

I was, in fact, talking about putting a lighter to tobacco, but maybe I misunderstood your post.

aerolimani

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:17 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
N415XJ wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:

I was, in fact, talking about putting a lighter to tobacco, but maybe I misunderstood your post.

If you’re talking about nargile/hookah, then you can’t be talking about putting a lighter to tobacco. Nargile uses charcoal, and usually with a layer of foil preventing the coal from directly contacting the tobacco. There is no flame involved. N415XJ’s assessment is accurate, IMHO.

dfwjim1

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Do non-smoking bans on passenger aircraft in the United States and other countries include cargo airlines?

nitepilot79

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:25 pm

aerolimani wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

If you’re talking about nargile/hookah, then you can’t be talking about putting a lighter to tobacco. Nargile uses charcoal, and usually with a layer of foil preventing the coal from directly contacting the tobacco. There is no flame involved. N415XJ’s assessment is accurate, IMHO.

Right on, thanks.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:04 pm

United Airline wrote:

No need; just watch Arthur Godfrey flying the Eastern Airlines Super Connie on one engine, whilst smoking a "Cheaper by the carton" Chesterfield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCL7FglFapY
You get to see the old Lady's party-piece, and satisfy your nicotine cravings all at the same time.

jetstar

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm

n92r03 wrote:
I read somewhere (probably here) that the smoke/residue stains would show on the exterior of the fuselage and make it much easier for the MX folks to finds the pinhole leaks. Maybe thing only positive for a smoking allowed flight. I'm sure someone can clarify what I'm talking about.

Back in my JetStar maintenance days, on the first JetStar I worked on the company CEO smoked heavily along with many of the higher executives in the company and you could see the green nicotine stains on some parts of the outside of the fuselage, from some of the rivets and by the emergency exit window seals. About every hundred hours or so I had to clean the outflow valves with denatured alcohol to remove the nicotine because they would sometimes stick causing a pressurization bump. And you could imagine the smell inside the airplane from the stale smoke, I had to have a company come in and shampoo the carpets, side walls and seats about 3 times a year that’s how bad it was. But the CEO didn’t care about the problems the smoke caused, he was the CEO and he did what he wanted.

On the second JetStar I worked on the company had a no smoking policy on the airplane because the CEO didn’t smoke and what a difference that made.

JetStar

george77300

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:30 pm

On some Chinese airlines flights the crew smoke even though they art supposed to. The crew (a reserve pilot and a few flight attendants) were smoking on a China Eastern LAX-PVG flight last month. I heard it’s a regular thing on all there long haul flight. Also apparently it happened on China Southern too although I can’t confirm that.