QF41
Topic Author

Next airline to join Oneworld

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Who do people think might be the next airline to join Oneworld?

Are there any rumors of airlines jumping ship?

Itd be nice to see an African airline join like Ethiopian.

Cheers
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K

LGAviation

Re: Next airline to join Oneworld

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:38 pm

ET is in Star and will remain in Star. The only African airline that I see could join is RAM, maybe SAA with a lot of imagination if they survive restructuring
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

FlyingHollander

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Oneworld definitely has the worst coverage of the three alliances.

-The hubs in Europe are poorly located for flights within te continent.
-No Chinese Mainland carrier
-No African carrier

Unfortunately I don't see how this could easily be improved.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

PatrickZ80

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Aer Lingus is on the break of joining OneWorld. The other two IAG legacy airlines (British Airways and Iberia) are already in and it's only a matter of time before Aer Lingus will join them.

Other than that, OneWorld has always been the least of the three big alliances. SkyTeam and Star Alliance are both bigger than OneWorld. I wouldn't be surprised if in time OneWorld wouldn't make it.

If the question would be the next airline to join an alliance then I'd say Westjet to join SkyTeam. They're already feeding for and codesharing with Air France-KLM, Delta and Aeromexico. Those are all SkyTeam members, so Westjet already has close ties with SkyTeam.

Mortyman

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30 pm

LGAviation wrote:
ET is in Star and will remain in Star. The only African airline that I see could join is RAM, maybe SAA with a lot of imagination if they survive restructuring

SAA is a member of Star Alliance. Why would they change ?

Thefireset

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:54 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Aer Lingus is on the break of joining OneWorld. The other two IAG legacy airlines (British Airways and Iberia) are already in and it's only a matter of time before Aer Lingus will join them.

Other than that, OneWorld has always been the least of the three big alliances. SkyTeam and Star Alliance are both bigger than OneWorld. I wouldn't be surprised if in time OneWorld wouldn't make it.

If the question would be the next airline to join an alliance then I'd say Westjet to join SkyTeam. They're already feeding for and codesharing with Air France-KLM, Delta and Aeromexico. Those are all SkyTeam members, so Westjet already has close ties with SkyTeam.

Westjet has renforced a lot his collaboration with Delta in the past year. And with their new ULCC, Westjet will increase his on-board services to compete with Air Canada, so it is logical that Westjet join SkyTeam.

For Oneworld, with the bankruptcy of Air Berlin I think the alliance isn't in a great position to have a new carrier.

tphuang

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Oneworld has a lot of blue chip airline based in strategic locations which skyteam with it's much great number of carriers can't compete with. You don't need 2 carriers in China and one in Korea when you have Hong Kong and Tokyo covered with cx and jl for example.

LGAviation

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:59 am

Mortyman wrote:
LGAviation wrote:

SAA is a member of Star Alliance. Why would they change ?

It's an absolute longshot but I feel like they have lost lots of Star Partnerships to ET for intra-African onward flights but then again South Africa is poorly located for any connection and they should come to realise that that won't be their business model. Also, they're having a tough time against BA which would become a lot easier if they chose to switch alliances (Comair would be a major factor against such a move). Also, connections to South America and Australasia would become easier with LA/JJ and QF partnerships but this might of course also lead to competition law issues. I just feel that they might be in the wrong alliance. But all of this is pure speculation.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

dredgy

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:40 am

Aer Lingus is confirmed to join. I don't think they will be adding anyone else anytime soon, but I think if they were, Hainan Airlines or Sichuan Airlines or both should be used to increase their presence in China.

tphuang wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
You don't need 2 carriers in China and one in Korea when you have Hong Kong and Tokyo covered with cx and jl for example.

It's a right pain if you need to fly domestically within China though, and since the Chinese government has restrictions on what airlines can fly what routes, then having 2 mainland Chinese carriers is actually a better strategy.

I redeem basically all of my points on Oneworld carriers (because I'm Australian and all my points are therefore Qantas) and it never flies anywhere I want to go. Qatar is the MVP from Australia because it does have a lot of African and European connections (though don't fly to Brisbane, and Qantas' JV with Emirates makes it preferable). Oneworld is superior in South America (LATAM) - I am flying a lot intra-South America this year and Avianca/Copa didn't operate alot of routes, at least not conveniently. Oneworld also has essentially a monopoly in Australian services. They have strong coverage in the US, but fall apart a bit in Europe and Asia, though nothing terrible except lack of Chinese carriers.

Oneworld's African coverage is absolutely abysmal though, and I'm not really sure what they can do about that. Kenyan are stuck in Skyteam (and has a good network), and Star is just taking the piss with Ethiopian, South African AND Egyptair. Oneworld has Comair, plus Qatar's adequate African network, which is not a viable competition in the African space. The problem is there is no single airline (or even a collection of airlines) that could solve that problem. Tunisair and RAM are the only viable choices (I thought RAM was in Skyteam but apparently not). RAM would be the better option.

TL;DR: I wish Virgin Australia would join Star or Skyteam :p

tphuang

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am

dredgy wrote:
Aer Lingus is confirmed to join. I don't think they will be adding anyone else anytime soon, but I think if they were, Hainan Airlines or Sichuan Airlines or both should be used to increase their presence in China.

tphuang wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
You don't need 2 carriers in China and one in Korea when you have Hong Kong and Tokyo covered with cx and jl for example.

It's a right pain if you need to fly domestically within China though, and since the Chinese government has restrictions on what airlines can fly what routes, then having 2 mainland Chinese carriers is actually a better strategy.

I redeem basically all of my points on Oneworld carriers (because I'm Australian and all my points are therefore Qantas) and it never flies anywhere I want to go. Qatar is the MVP from Australia because it does have a lot of African and European connections (though don't fly to Brisbane, and Qantas' JV with Emirates makes it preferable). Oneworld is superior in South America (LATAM) - I am flying a lot intra-South America this year and Avianca/Copa didn't operate alot of routes, at least not conveniently. Oneworld also has essentially a monopoly in Australian services. They have strong coverage in the US, but fall apart a bit in Europe and Asia, though nothing terrible except lack of Chinese carriers.

Oneworld's African coverage is absolutely abysmal though, and I'm not really sure what they can do about that. Kenyan are stuck in Skyteam (and has a good network), and Star is just taking the piss with Ethiopian, South African AND Egyptair. Oneworld has Comair, plus Qatar's adequate African network, which is not a viable competition in the African space. The problem is there is no single airline (or even a collection of airlines) that could solve that problem. Tunisair and RAM are the only viable choices (I thought RAM was in Skyteam but apparently not). RAM would be the better option.

I'm just looking at it from American perspective. I don't go to Africa. Although if I did, I'd pick QR probably. For Asia travel, CX and JL covers me pretty well. MH and UL is irrelevant. South America is obviously quite strong due to AA presence there and copa. Australia obviously QF, UK with BA and Spain with IB. Continental Europe is a weak point. But since London is by far the most important destination out of America, it balances out weakness to continental europe.

As for China, cathay dragon flies to a lot of secondary chinese cities. And since my family typically HN to visit relatives in China, lack of OW never seemed a problem to me. We end up getting cheapest flights anyhow.

Coal

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:48 am

tphuang wrote:
dredgy wrote:

tphuang wrote:

I'm just looking at it from American perspective. I don't go to Africa. Although if I did, I'd pick QR probably. For Asia travel, CX and JL covers me pretty well. MH and UL is irrelevant. South America is obviously quite strong due to AA presence there and copa. Australia obviously QF, UK with BA and Spain with IB. Continental Europe is a weak point. But since London is by far the most important destination out of America, it balances out weakness to continental europe.

As for China, cathay dragon flies to a lot of secondary chinese cities. And since my family typically HN to visit relatives in China, lack of OW never seemed a problem to me. We end up getting cheapest flights anyhow.

Copa is in Star Alliance, not oneworld.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Cunard

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:51 am

He didn't mention that COPA was a member of ONEWORLD, I think you read it wrong!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

asuflyer

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:35 am

Meridiana once it goes through restructuring and a new fleet.

GSP psgr

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:17 am

Honestly, OW would be smart to try to take a run at SAS or LOT. While not the world's most ideal Central European hub, Copenhagen would do in a pinch to fill the enormous gap left by AirBerlin's departure from this world. Ditto for Warsaw and LOT, which is increasingly the odd man out in LH dominated Star and would do wonders for Central and Eastern European coverage (let's not pretend that S7 isn't what it is).

Coal

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:30 am

Cunard wrote:
He didn't mention that COPA was a member of ONEWORLD, I think you read it wrong!

"South America is obviously quite strong due to AA presence there and copa."
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

bunumuring

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey guys,
I thought that RAM, with the 'guidance' of Qatar Airways, was lined up as the next oneworld entrant...?
I would agree that Meridiana may be a new entrant in the short term.
And IF a sub-category of LCCs is developed ('oneworld lite'?!?!) I bet Jetstar would join in a heartbeat.
One airline that definitely WONT join oneworld is Virgin Australia.... I Wish it would join Star but have a suspicion it would join Skyteam if it ever felt inclined to join!
What about Emirates? It has its partnership with Qantas, which is a cornerstone of oneworld..... But of course Qatar Airways would not be happy with that!
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

albertocsc

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:32 pm

I agree with you that the most probable airlines to join would be Meridiana and RAM.

I would also like to see some Eastern European airline that could replace Malev. Maybe UIA or Air Moldova. Or if we go further east, Georgian Airways or Azerbaijan Airlines.

To solve the void left by Air Berlin, maybe there would be a need for a new partner in Central Europe or maybe it would be OK with an expansion of the intra-european network by the present OW airlines.

BAINY3

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Coal wrote:
Cunard wrote:

"South America is obviously quite strong due to AA presence there and copa."

Maybe he meant LATAM?

n729pa

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Jet Airways?

OW have had what 3 bankruptcies? MA MX and now AB.

FI could be another interesting one to join but they seem to be doing OK by themselves.

mugler

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am

I wish Interjet would join and fill Mexicana’s place but they still have a loooong way for that

vhtje

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:13 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
Honestly, OW would be smart to try to take a run at SAS or LOT. While not the world's most ideal Central European hub, Copenhagen would do in a pinch to fill the enormous gap left by AirBerlin's departure from this world. Ditto for Warsaw and LOT, which is increasingly the odd man out in LH dominated Star and would do wonders for Central and Eastern European coverage (let's not pretend that S7 isn't what it is).

SAS? With AY already in oneworld? I cannot see that happening. LOT jumping ship to oneworld would be an interesting move, my guess is that any change in alliance for LOT would be tied up with the privatisation of the airline.

IAG completed its takeover of EI over two years ago, in September 2015. Does anyone know what is taking EI so long to rejoin oneworld?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

QuawerAir

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:19 pm

n729pa wrote:
Jet Airways?

OW have had what 3 bankruptcies? MA MX and now AB.

FI could be another interesting one to join but they seem to be doing OK by themselves.

Jet Airways would be a very good addition to Oneworld. Unfortunately, it won't happen as Jet Airways plans to join SkyTeam.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.

QuawerAir

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:34 pm

QF41 wrote:

Cheers

Here are some airlines that come to my mind (in addition to Aer Lingus):
    Alaska Airlines
    China Southern? (as a result of the new partnership with American)
    Hainan Airlines
    Hawaiian Airlines
    Philippine Airlines
    Royal Air Marco
    Vistara
    Vueling
    WestJet
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788

masgniw

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
QF41 wrote:

Cheers

Alaska Airlines
    Hainan Airlines
    Hawaiian Airlines
    Philippine Airlines
    Royal Air Marco
    Vistara
    Vueling
    WestJet

AS is interesting. I doubt they'd ever join SkyTeam with Delta in the mix. But AA can't be very enthusiastic about the AS expansions either. Would having both a mid + major US carrier in OW be a sensible alliance?

QuawerAir

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:24 pm

masgniw wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
QF41 wrote:

Cheers

Alaska Airlines
    Hainan Airlines
    Hawaiian Airlines
    Philippine Airlines
    Royal Air Marco
    Vistara
    Vueling
    WestJet

AS is interesting. I doubt they'd ever join SkyTeam with Delta in the mix. But AA can't be very enthusiastic about the AS expansions either. Would having both a mid + major US carrier in OW be a sensible alliance?

Maybe AA and AS could extend their current partnership if Alaska Airlines joined OW?

QuawerAir wrote:
Royal Air Marco

It seems like I came up with a new airline :lol:

aerorobnz

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:13 pm

I'd be surprised if they do anything at all with regard to membership. I don't think there is going to be more growth for any of the 3 alliances. They have done their day expansion-wise, but obviously, they want to maintain the advantages they have given to their existing frequent flyers because global access to lounges is something that brings elites back. Most profitable airlines have moved onto Joint Ventures, Individual Airshare and frequent flyer related negotiations tailormade for specific airline needs and specific routes. eg AA/CZ, NZ/AR, NZ/CX, NZ/VA, NZ/SQ, QF/EK, AS and JB with many different airlines from across the alliances.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.