Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author

QF offers RTW tickets?!

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:28 am

Don't know if this is new but I never noticed it before, apparently QF lets you book a ticket around the world!

https://rtw.oneworld.com/rtw/?origin=QF

USAOZ

Re: QF offers RTW tickets?!

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 am

nothing new there. QF/AA RTW tix have been around for decades, but usually way more expensive than much better airlines.

mariner

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:47 am

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
Don't know if this is new but I never noticed it before, apparently QF lets you book a ticket around the world!

RTW's are offered by all the alliances.

These days you need two airlines to do it, but it's not so long ago (up until 2012?) that you could fly RTW on one airline - Air New Zealand.

mariner
aeternum nauta

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:28 am

QF offers much better value RTW tickets than the One World fare you refer to (which we refer to as L-Glob at work due to the fare basis) that are significantly cheaper. Nonetheless other airlines (such as AY) offer much better fares.

Basically all of the alliances offer RTW fares that are sold by all member airlines (LGLOBxx for One World being an example) but many airlines have other fares that combine Global Indicators to create de-facto "RTW" fares at a much cheaper price than the alliance fares.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Obzerva

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:47 am

I’ve found the offline airlines ex Australia offer some of the better value round the world fares.

Swiss offer a RTW which is specifically not Star Alliance fares, ie it can include QF as an option on the trans Pacific flight.

Also VS, do a very basic one, it’s essentially just AU to LHR, just via Asia one way, and the US on the other.

dredgy

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 am

Yes, and it’s pretty overpriced. Lufthansa/Swiss/Austrian offer the best value usually (and as mentioned can include a Qantas leg)

Even in Oneworld, Finnair has a great RTW ticket that can be much cheaper than Qantas even if it has a QF leg.

Xcarrier

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 am

IIRC, QF was actually one of the first to offer RTWs when it teamed with TW around 1981/82. I was working in the QF LON ticket office at the time, but only ever saw a handful of customers travelling on such tickets.

bunumuring

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Hey guys,
Back in the late 90s I booked and flew a QF RTW fare flying QF to Japan, BA onwards to and thru Europe and on to US and then QF back home.
Dead easy and very enjoyable.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

bunumuring

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Hey guys,
Back in the late 90s I booked and flew a QF RTW fare flying QF to Japan, BA onwards to and thru Europe and on to US and then QF back home.
Dead easy and very enjoyable.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Gemuser

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Xcarrier wrote:
IIRC, QF was actually one of the first to offer RTWs when it teamed with TW around 1981/82. I was working in the QF LON ticket office at the time, but only ever saw a handful of customers travelling on such tickets.

QF & BA have been offering a joint round the world ticket since the early 1970s, at least. I used to book them for technical staff at my then employer quit often. I finally flew one, on my own $A in 1994.

Gemuser

mariner

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Xcarrier wrote:

I don't think so. I flew RTW with BOAC ( later British) in 1968 using the same airline all the way - BOAC used to fly trans-Pacific.

mariner
aeternum nauta

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:59 pm

dredgy wrote:
Yes, and it’s pretty overpriced. Lufthansa/Swiss/Austrian offer the best value usually (and as mentioned can include a Qantas leg)

Even in Oneworld, Finnair has a great RTW ticket that can be much cheaper than Qantas even if it has a QF leg.

The Lufthansa Group and Finnair fares are technically not RTW fares, which is why they are so much better value. Those fares are constructed as a return trip to Europe combining diffident routings (using different IATA Global Indicators).
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Xcarrier

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 pm

mariner wrote:
Xcarrier wrote:

I don't think so. I flew RTW with BOAC ( later British) in 1968 using the same airline all the way - BOAC used to fly trans-Pacific.

mariner

Yes, it certainly was possible to do so, but when QF announced the tie-up with TW for the RTW fare, it was a sort of "Hey, look what we've just invented" kind of moment, inferring that this was the first time an RTW fare (eg: Origin to Origin in a continuos Easterly or Westerly direction, with purchase, route and stopover limitations) had been published as opposed to being able to construct a fare for such a journey by combining fare components. While certainly innovative, it wasn't such a brilliant fare really, due to the fairly limited number of cities jointly served by the two carriers at the time, which often resulted in surface sectors, or requiring purchase of separate tickets on other carriers to complete the 'circle'.