FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

UA 787-9 Seating Question/Recommendation

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Hello,

My wife and I will be flying on UA2 from SIN-SFO in February in economy (Y). Sadly, per the seat map, there does not appear to be any rows with just 2 seats. Quite a few planes will taper to 2 seats towards the last few rows, which we thoroughly enjoy. With that said, some feed back is appreciated:

1. Would you just select two seats in the back and hope that there isn't a full load?
2. Do you think it's worth 'upgrading' to Economy Plus even though there still aren't any rows of 2 seats?
3. Any other suggestions to make the flight as comfortable as possible?

*We aren't big people so the leg room doesn't do a lot for us overall, but if you think it's worth it, we would consider paying to move up to Y+.

Please do not turn this into a United bashing thread. We flew AA on the 787-8 to AKL and sat in the back where it tapers down to 2 seats -- very comfortable flight for being in economy.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Whatever

masgniw

Re: UA 787-9 Seating Question/Recommendation

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 am

Hmm looks like mods are deleting very political mild jokes now. Censorship is fun!

Anyways, just book as near as you can to one another. Once you get to the gate, ask the gate agent if you can be sat near one another. They'll often be able to do this without asking anyone to volunteer. If they can't do it or get any volunteers to move, you'll need to resort to asking people once you get aboard.

I would say upgrading diminishes your chance of getting a seat together. There are simply more seats in Y and a greater probability of a volunteer willing to move. The only way it's an advantage is if you can use it as leverage to get volunteers seated together in Y to separate and move to your Y+ seats. Not worth it in my book.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 am

masgniw wrote:
Hmm looks like mods are deleting very political mild jokes now. Censorship is fun!

Anyways, just book as near as you can to one another. Once you get to the gate, ask the gate agent if you can be sat near one another. They'll often be able to do this without asking anyone to volunteer. If they can't do it or get any volunteers to move, you'll need to resort to asking people once you get aboard.

I would say upgrading diminishes your chance of getting a seat together. There are simply more seats in Y and a greater probability of a volunteer willing to move. The only way it's an advantage is if you can use it as leverage to get volunteers seated together in Y to separate and move to your Y+ seats. Not worth it in my book.

Hello,

We have seats together and that isn't an issue. I just hear how bad everyone says the UA 787 is and so I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have flown it in Y as to any particular seats/sections that may be more comfortable than others. Also, whether or not Y+ is worth purchasing for the extra let room.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Whatever

masgniw

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:23 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
masgniw wrote:

Hello,

We have seats together and that isn't an issue. I just hear how bad everyone says the UA 787 is and so I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have flown it in Y as to any particular seats/sections that may be more comfortable than others. Also, whether or not Y+ is worth purchasing for the extra let room.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Oh sorry I guess I misread your original post. I think it's fine then. I like the 787 and have done several segment longer than 12 hours on it in Y. I don't buy into the negative reviews.

Most negative reviews are about the width of seats, not the length. Y+ won't buy you any width. I will send you over the flyertalk though -- they tend to have better overall insight on specific seats on specific planes on specific carriers.

KLMatSJC

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:21 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
hope that there isn't a full load?

That flight is almost always full. UA is literally printing money on that flight. However, I don't know the new LAX flight has affected that.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks for the responses. For now, I'll keep our 2 seats together in the middle sections towards the back. Maybe, just maybe, the load won't be as heavy in February and with LAX being flown as well :). One can hope, right?
Whatever

TWA772LR

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:21 pm

It probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Y+ for a 17 hour flight.

You picked a heck of a flight for your first UA Y 787 trip! Let us know how it goes. :)

Maybe it will be weight restricted and you and your wife can get a row of 3 seats to yourselves.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

IPFreely

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
I just hear how bad everyone says the UA 787 is

Who is everyone? I’ve read negative comments from posters here who are “fanboys” of competing airlines. But they never have actual facts and it’s doubtful they’ve ever set foot in the plane they’re criticizing. I’ve never heard anything bad from people who actually fly on United 787’s.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
It probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Y+ for a 17 hour flight.

You picked a heck of a flight for your first UA Y 787 trip! Let us know how it goes. :)

Maybe it will be weight restricted and you and your wife can get a row of 3 seats to yourselves.

I'll certainly report back if I survive - haha. We'll be heading Eastbound from SIN-SFO, so flight time should 'only' be in the 14 hour range and won't need any weight restrictions. I can hope though that there is a middle seat between us :)
Whatever

Osiris

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 am

+1 for the 787 in Y opinion. It's not a like for like example, but I've flown on a VS 789 and an AA 788 and I found them both perfectly comfortable.

The AA 788 wasn't hugely spacious, but it wasn't the nightmare lots of people on here claim it is. It's a really nice jet to fly on with the huge windows and low noise levels.