Page 1 of 1

ticket pricing to Hawaii

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 am
by UnitedFlyer
So I am flying AS on Apr7 MFR-KOA and then OGG-MFR on April 21. The price to KOA is currently $577 and the return is $457. Is this a reasonable price or should I wait for a better fare?

Re: ticket pricing to Hawaii

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:37 am
by Jetsgo
Seems pretty high to me, but then again OR (especially MFR) could have a higher price point than CA. In October 2015, we flew OAK-OGG-OAK on HA for about $350rt/person booking nine months out.

Re: ticket pricing to Hawaii

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:45 pm
by PatrickZ80
Very high indeed, but that's most likely due to the fact that you're flying from a remote airport like Medford. This means you need a transfer, and that makes things very expensive.

Also, I figured out you're flying on about the most expensive dates possible. Try flying wednesday instead of saturday. I've found United Medford - Kona on 4 april $ 340. Return I found Kahului - Medford on American $ 307 on 18 april. Sure if you search further you'll find even cheaper options, for example by using Honolulu instead of Kona and Kahului. Honolulu - Medford on 18 april is as cheap as $ 291 on United.

Re: ticket pricing to Hawaii

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:00 pm
by stlgph
April 7 is the Saturday after Easter.
That will be filled with a number of families returning home, etc, or what have you, after being off the week from school if their "spring break" is scheduled at this time.
Sunday, too.

Re: ticket pricing to Hawaii

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:20 pm
by PatrickZ80
stlgph wrote:
April 7 is the Saturday after Easter.
That will be filled with a number of families returning home, etc, or what have you, after being off the week from school if their "spring break" is scheduled at this time.
Sunday, too.


Reason more to avoid flying on those days.

Back to the original question.

UnitedFlyer wrote:
So I am flying AS on Apr7 MFR-KOA and then OGG-MFR on April 21. The price to KOA is currently $577 and the return is $457. Is this a reasonable price or should I wait for a better fare?


It makes no sense to wait for a better fare on those dates since they'll stay expensive. However it does make sense to fly on other dates. Best to avoid weekends and fly on weekdays if possible, this saves you a lot of money.

Re: ticket pricing to Hawaii

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:11 am
by UnitedFlyer
Thanks for the replies! I am somewhat stuck with these dates because of vacation time constraints with myself and my wife and we also wish to maximize the entire 2 weeks in Hawaii. We will probably just apply the Alaska Airlines companion fare for these days.

Re: ticket pricing to Hawaii

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 pm
by PatrickZ80
UnitedFlyer wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I am somewhat stuck with these dates because of vacation time constraints with myself and my wife and we also wish to maximize the entire 2 weeks in Hawaii. We will probably just apply the Alaska Airlines companion fare for these days.


However, are your destinations fixed? Like I said, you could save some money by flying to other destinations.

I found a $ 727 return flight on American on the dates you need to travel Medford - Honolulu with a transfer in Los Angeles. Since it's a return fare it isn't split into onward and back but given that the sum of your original selected flights is $ 1034 it saves you $ 307 just to fly to and from Honolulu instead of Kona and Kahului.

Hypothetically, even a trip to London would be cheaper than your originally planned trip to Hawaii. I fould a $ 896 return fare on Alaska + Norwegian Medford - Seattle - London Gatwick sunday 8 to sunday 22 april. Return on friday 20 april and it's even $ 832. How does that sound? London is a whole lot further from your home than Hawaii, but depending on how you look at it not much more expensive or even cheaper.