Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aa87
Topic Author

TLV on Fri night/Saturday ?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 am

I'm curious what Ben Gurion airport is like Fri night and Saturdays (and Jewish holidays). With the host country carrier shut down, is it just quieter and less crowded, or are there other noticeable effects ? I assume all the stores are open ? what about restaurants, I assume the kosher ones are closed ? is security pretty much the same, or more like a European airport since El Al isn't operating ?

Pls no extraneous comments about politics or orthodox Jews - I'm just curious about anyone's experiences or observations on this board who've flown in or out of TLV on the sabbath, and particularly Jewish holidays, since its unusual for a major airport to effectively be partly shut down one day a week plus holidays. Thanks.

mats

Re: TLV on Fri night/Saturday ?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:35 am

The airport is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
Most of the shops and restaurants remain open on Shabbat.

The airport is certainly quieter: less traffic, fewer flights.

The only changes that I can think of:
1. El Al does not fly on Shabbat, so their entire section of the airport is shut down.
2. The Dan lounge observes "shomer Shabbat" laws and turns off its espresso machine.
3. No trains or buses

Pretty much everything else is business as usual.
I often flew out of Israel on Shabbat deliberately: there were fewer lines and crowds.

BestWestern

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 am

Why turn off espresso machines? (Excuse my ignorance)
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

deltalaw

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:30 am

Had a great experience landing in the late afternoon on a Friday on an ATL-TLV flight about 5 years ago. The gentleman sitting next to me was a regular commuter to South Carolina for business and he sprinted off the plane in the hopes of getting out of the airport in time to get catch a cab and get home before sunset, at which point he would have be prohibited from using any ground transportation. He told me that several late arrivals of that flight in the past had required him to sleep in the airport.

BENAir01

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 am

BestWestern wrote:
Why turn off espresso machines? (Excuse my ignorance)

It has to do with being Shomer Shabbas. You are not aloud to use electrons or cook or anything.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

aa87
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:24 am

mats wrote:
The airport is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
Most of the shops and restaurants remain open on Shabbat.

The airport is certainly quieter: less traffic, fewer flights.

The only changes that I can think of:
1. El Al does not fly on Shabbat, so their entire section of the airport is shut down.
2. The Dan lounge observes "shomer Shabbat" laws and turns off its espresso machine.
3. No trains or buses

Pretty much everything else is business as usual.
I often flew out of Israel on Shabbat deliberately: there were fewer lines and crowds.

So there are taxis but no buses/trains ? And how is the Dan lounge otherwise shomer shabbat since there are still employees working there, electronic doors/internet, etc.? I'm not making trouble (I am shomer shabbat), I was just curious what restrictions are enforced and what is allowed. Taxis but no trains or buses is a little odd ...

SR100

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 am

...since the Topic Author's question is not only about shabbats but also Jewish holidays, it's worth mentioning Yom Kippur because the airport closes completely and shuts down all services - as does the rest of Israel.

As a frequent flyer between Europe and Israel I also prefer flights during Shabbat - there is less traffic on the ground and in the air, also air fares tend to be cheaper as there is less demand, at least on LX that I use mostly...
Flown all types and variants of Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed, Bombardier, DC, Embraer, Fokker, ATR, plus BAe146-1/2/3, Britannia, Caravelle, Comet, Concord, CV440/990, M404, Herald, Avro, Trident-1/2/3, IL-18/62, SWM, Viscount, VC-10, Tu-104/134/154, YS-11

tlvflyguy

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:48 am

aa87 wrote:
So there are taxis but no buses/trains ? And how is the Dan lounge otherwise shomer shabbat since there are still employees working there, electronic doors/internet, etc.? I'm not making trouble (I am shomer shabbat), I was just curious what restrictions are enforced and what is allowed. Taxis but no trains or buses is a little odd ...

Correct, no buses or trains - but there are taxis - both private and shared taxis.
While they are a form of public transportation, taxis were never considered government organizations like Israel Railways is and bus company Egged used to be, so the Ministry of Transportation always allowed taxis to be exempt from Shabbat.
Today there are many bus companies which are privately owned but the law remains the same - no buses.

The airport operation is also allowed with an exemption by the Ministry of Economy given to the Israeli Airport Authority.