zhiao
Topic Author

BA worse than US3?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Just was glancing at some trip reports and saw this J class report on BA, LHR-SFO on the A380. Completely shocked, as I got a better meal on AA in COACH and lets not even get into the ME3. Portions are tiny. The nuts were served in cheap small bag, and not even heated in a bowl. The amenity kit is worse than what DL gives you in coach.

I advise everyone to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCS4_aodT50
Last edited by zhiao on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rj777

Re: BA now official worse than US3

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Just so you know, this is just one person's opinion and not fact.

zhiao
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:41 pm

rj777 wrote:

How can it be anything but an opinion? Towerair worse than EK is also an opinion.

But my eyes don't lie.

RDUDDJI

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:43 pm

rj777 wrote:

Who needs facts on the internets... Random singular anecdotes are certainly more valuable... /Sarcasm

Mods: I don't think this thread title is appropriate.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

HHScot

Re: BA worse than US3?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Well I had an "interesting" experience on BA recently when flying from IAH to LHR in business.

I was seated at the front of the Business Class section and at breakfast noticed a lot of activity backwards and forwards from the cabin crew. Nobody served me and I assumed that they were starting at the back and working their way forward. When I eventually noticed that they were starting to clear breakfast I polietly raised the attention of a member of staff to ask when I would be served only to be told: "Oh sorry we forgot you". I was then told that it was too late to give me even a cup of tea and that "if you have a connecting flight you'll get breakfast there". I raised a complaint after my flight and 2 months later haven't even received an acknowledgement.

Way to go BA! What a great way to treat your Executive Club gold members!

While not the worst, I have experienced BA to be very inconsistent. An excellent flight can be followed by an absolute nightmare. It seems dependent upon the cabin crew team.

Eirules

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:24 pm

I’ve pretty much given up on BA at this point. I’ve been BA Silver for 5 years now, flying transatlantic in J about 3 times per year. In the last 18 months I’ve had a Club World west which didn’t recline back from ORD, a non functioning tv to JNB and found glass in my meal to LAS. 5 months after complaining & despite numerous emails & tweets I’ve heard nothing from BA. So I’ve now moved to a combination of AA or VS. I do find AA can be a little hit and miss with crew and their transatlantic seats vary from A330 to 77W to 757 but largely they’re better than BA
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

FSXFlyguy

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:43 pm

There is always going to be someone with a bad experience,be it on EY EK AA BA KL LH etc.

I flew J class return from LHR - JFK not long ago with the new on board meal seivoce, the new bedding, the super hi J cabin, WiFi, new amenity kit. Yes the service took a while (it is still new for crew so I understand) but not like I was in a rush to go anywhere and and food was stunning. The red pepper soup was divine!!

Crew out and back were fantastic as well, and could not do more for the other passengers.

We always hear the bad side but never all the good that happens as well.

HHScot

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:02 pm

When you are paying $$$$ good should be the norm and not a bonus. Sadly it's like playing Russian Roulette with BA.
And while sometimes things can go wrong onboard (e.g. broken seat, IFE not working etc.) there's simply NO excuse for not responding to customer complaints.

klm617

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:59 pm

No any foreign flag carrier wins hands down against any of the US3 because they actually spend the time and money to train their staff properly unlike the US3 that does the minimum training they can get away with.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

theobcman

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:30 pm

When you have the network / aircraft numbers & employees BA have you will not please everyone all of the time.

BA are rolling out the new on board catering, trolley service & bedding in J and are getting back in the game for J class. Y+ is absolutely brilliant & perfect for mid long haul (JFK/DXB). Y is as good as anything out there.

So IMHO there is no way BA is worse - actually a whole lot better !

IPFreely

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 am

zhiao wrote:
Just was glancing at some trip reports and saw this J class report on BA, LHR-SFO on the A380. Completely shocked, as I got a better meal on AA in COACH and lets not even get into the ME3. Portions are tiny. The nuts were served in cheap small bag, and not even heated in a bowl. The amenity kit is worse than what DL gives you in coach.

Some people are apt to complain about anything but this youtube video was over the top. He's on an airplane, not in a 5-star restaurant. From the video it appeared to be a decent sized business class seat with good IFE. The food didn't look great but it was acceptable. A little sauce spilled over the edge of his bowl while it was being heated and served while flying in an airplane? The horror! He didn't even seem concerned about the flight departing and arriving on time. If he complained hopefully BA replied with an appropriate response, something along the lines of "sorry about your cold nuts."

zhiao
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:12 pm

IPFreely wrote:
zhiao wrote:

Some people are apt to complain about anything but this youtube video was over the top. He's on an airplane, not in a 5-star restaurant. From the video it appeared to be a decent sized business class seat with good IFE. The food didn't look great but it was acceptable. A little sauce spilled over the edge of his bowl while it was being heated and served while flying in an airplane? The horror! He didn't even seem concerned about the flight departing and arriving on time. If he complained hopefully BA replied with an appropriate response, something along the lines of "sorry about your cold nuts."

Yes, but for example I have never seen a bag of nuts served in int J.

jetwet1

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:35 pm

theobcman wrote:

BA are rolling out the new on board catering, trolley service & bedding in J and are getting back in the game for J class. Y+ is absolutely brilliant & perfect for mid long haul (JFK/DXB). Y is as good as anything out there.

So IMHO there is no way BA is worse - actually a whole lot better !

While I agree with the first part (from the reports I have seen) the new food selection looks good.

The second part, it really depends on which of the US3 you are flying and in the case of UA if you get the new seat, but IMHO, DL/AA beat BA hands down.

tonystan

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:43 am

zhiao wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
zhiao wrote:

You seem particularly put out by a bag of nuts? I mean seriously, a packet of nuts!?!? You’re not an exec director for Korean are you?

Personally I think a packet of sealed nuts is far more hygienic. The new BA service has nuts delivered in a bowl (which too probably decanted into from a bag) but you will never know how many hands may have interfered with those nuts.

As for the packet of nuts in question, I will actually miss the Out of Africa cashews when they are eventually removed from the service as the global roll out of the New Club World service takes place throughout 2018.

As for the overall Club World experience. I like the seat, I’m 6ft and I can still lie down fully flat and feel comfortable without having to wedge my feet in a box. Climbing over people is lot easier on these seats than on a middle or window on EK, LH, AF, UA or any of those more traditional looking layouts and I find the width fine.
Food is hit and miss but generally ex LHR/LGW it is good and the new service despite taking too long can only be a positive. And once the new bedding has rolled out it will be AMAZING to sleep in, already tried it on a JFK but that flight home really is not long enough to really appreciate it IMO.

All BA really need to do is incentivize it’s Crew to be more consistently friendly and proactive, upgrade the lounges (they really need to send someone to Cathay and have a look at their business class lounges) and give every plane a good hard scrub and keep them fresh and clean!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

IPFreely

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:44 pm

zhiao wrote:

Maybe BA is run by Barbarians. You should probably stick to airlines that handle and heat your nuts.

reffado

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Interesting topic. I've only had one experience on BA but I found their Y service on my LGW-FLL service to be better than what I experienced on AA's MIA-LHR (except, of course, for the very outdated 772). Meal was excellent, crew service also. However, from what I'm reading, it seems like BA can be a hit or miss experience? I'd definitely give them another try, although I'd try to fly newer aircraft next time.

bluesky73

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:14 pm

First time back here in a while.
When I heard BA had dipped in rating I was not surprised. Since the short haul cabin reconfigure (squeeze) a few year back, then BoB plus the aging fleet its only a matter of time that the management get a reality check.
I flew LHR - JFK in Oct. G-CIVI was in terrible state, Dirty inside and out and seat in front broken.
On way back flew 772 JFK - LGW in Premium, inflight entertainment 1990s and food very poor. Did s Short haul in summer and very average.
Im pretty much finished with BA, i thinking they continue in decline they will reach their destination at rock bottom with little chance of return unlikely.
Hopefully someone can pull the nose up before it’s too late!

readytotaxi

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:45 pm

In the "aircraft" that is BA customer service the cockpit voice is already shouting, "Terrain Pull Up, Pull Up."
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

DocLightning

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:17 am

IPFreely wrote:

Some people are apt to complain about anything but this youtube video was over the top. He's on an airplane, not in a 5-star restaurant.

Actually, when you pay US$5-10k for a J-class seat, you have every right to expect nothing short of stellar catering, especially because BA advertises the service as such: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/in ... ess-dining It amazes me that people defend this behavior from BA. In fact, most Western nations have laws about false advertising.

A passenger pays for a service and he is entitled to that service because he bought it. That's how all business works: you buy a thing and then you get that thing. Similarly, when I buy a burger at a restaurant, I expect them to serve me a burger (or refund my money). If I buy a car wash, I expect them to wash my car.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

readytotaxi

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 am

Example, a quick sample of BA First Class trip reports on Youtube shows that the wine list offered is available retail on average at £16 a bottle, hardly First Class BA.

GDB

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:06 am

tonystan wrote:
zhiao wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

You seem particularly put out by a bag of nuts? I mean seriously, a packet of nuts!?!? You’re not an exec director for Korean are you?

Personally I think a packet of sealed nuts is far more hygienic. The new BA service has nuts delivered in a bowl (which too probably decanted into from a bag) but you will never know how many hands may have interfered with those nuts.

As for the packet of nuts in question, I will actually miss the Out of Africa cashews when they are eventually removed from the service as the global roll out of the New Club World service takes place throughout 2018.

As for the overall Club World experience. I like the seat, I’m 6ft and I can still lie down fully flat and feel comfortable without having to wedge my feet in a box. Climbing over people is lot easier on these seats than on a middle or window on EK, LH, AF, UA or any of those more traditional looking layouts and I find the width fine.
Food is hit and miss but generally ex LHR/LGW it is good and the new service despite taking too long can only be a positive. And once the new bedding has rolled out it will be AMAZING to sleep in, already tried it on a JFK but that flight home really is not long enough to really appreciate it IMO.

All BA really need to do is incentivize it’s Crew to be more consistently friendly and proactive, upgrade the lounges (they really need to send someone to Cathay and have a look at their business class lounges) and give every plane a good hard scrub and keep them fresh and clean!

Agreed but the problem with making Crew better is linked with staff morale, seen BA's CEO? Almost ran that IAD LCC into the ground and we end up with him.
I don't specifically mean that long running Crew dispute, now over, staff in general.
Moving away for nuts, warm or otherwise, there's that old saying. 'the fish rots from the head down'.

longhauler

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm

I don't know why people are surprised. I recently flew LHR-DME on BA in what they would like to pretend is a premium cabin on an A321. It was pathetic at best. A mediocre meal in an economy seat with the centre blocked off.

Three times in the last year I flew a trans-con flight in the premium cabin on American carriers ... JetBlue, American and United. Laugh if you will, the experience was light years better than anything I have experienced on a UK/European carrier on a narrow body.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Arion640

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 pm

I recently did LHR-JFK In J return, see the trip reports I made below.

https://youtu.be/buz6IvSWqDQ

https://youtu.be/I2VvcgFsMhE

Enjoyed both flights. I think BA have some of the best crew around - but perhaps I've just been lucky. There's stories been circulated such as the one story about sick being on the seat in premium economy.

I have found US3 crew to always be bossy and patronising, but I've always had a good feed on american airlines in Y!
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control

767333ER

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:27 pm

longhauler wrote:
I don't know why people are surprised. I recently flew LHR-DME on BA in what they would like to pretend is a premium cabin on an A321. It was pathetic at best. A mediocre meal in an economy seat with the centre blocked off.

Three times in the last year I flew a trans-con flight in the premium cabin on American carriers ... JetBlue, American and United. Laugh if you will, the experience was light years better than anything I have experienced on a UK/European carrier on a narrow body.

:checkmark:
Welcome to shorthaul business class in Europe. I don’t understand why they can’t put different seats in those few rows as opposed to putting the same economy seats and just never using the middle one. Where’s the logic in that other than probably saving a few bucks at the start? The best part is you put all that money into a business class fare and end up with no more legroom than economy either which is the same legroom we are getting here in North American that people complain about, yet Europe seems to be used to it. What’s the point paying something as high as $2000 to have a meal and no one sitting next to you?

Airlines that have tried such an offering here such as WestJet have done other things to make the offering more attractive such as more legroom and much lower price. I’m still not sure it’s entirely worth it versus regular business class, but at least they don’t charge nearly $2000 for it and if they did it wouldn’t sell like it does in Europe. So on this level of comparison, shorthaul product, I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the US3 are doing better than British there at least in onboard product.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Example, a quick sample of BA First Class trip reports on Youtube shows that the wine list offered is available retail on average at £16 a bottle, hardly First Class BA.

I would love to see those details - any chance you could share them. PM me if you don't think it's for general consumption.
(I could struggle thro' a succession of youtube videos myself, but my internet connection is lousy, and since you've already done it, there seems little point re-inventing the wheel.)
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

VC10er

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:59 pm

IMHO, when all US3 have a solid, consistent and well designed BUSINESS class, the old maxim of US airlines being worst in the world will fade a lot.
They won’t ever be luxurious airlines, but they have a serious shot at being solid, convenient, professional and comfortable with decent service IF all 3 continue to focus on customer service. It’s already heading there...they just need to stay on that trajectory.

It could mean that Business on Delta, AA and United Polaris on new aircraft would be preferred over BA similar offer...unless BA changes.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

theobcman

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:45 pm

IPFreely wrote:
zhiao wrote:

Exactly ! Everyone’s favourite thing to do is bash BA F & J. If a little sauce and cold nuts are the complaint then BA must be doing something right. Yes the J seat has fallen behind the game recent but with the new Club World additions and maybe an updated seat with the A350 it will be right back in !

Yeah you have to step over someone’s feet (god forbid) IF they are full flat but so you have to in a lot of other airlines but nothing seems to get mentioned.

BA J whilst still has some catching up to do it’s a very comfortable / classy & enjoyable way to fly.

bagoldex

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:10 pm

theobcman wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
zhiao wrote:

Exactly ! Everyone’s favourite thing to do is bash BA F & J. If a little sauce and cold nuts are the complaint then BA must be doing something right. Yes the J seat has fallen behind the game recent but with the new Club World additions and maybe an updated seat with the A350 it will be right back in !

Yeah you have to step over someone’s feet (god forbid) IF they are full flat but so you have to in a lot of other airlines but nothing seems to get mentioned.

BA J whilst still has some catching up to do it’s a very comfortable / classy & enjoyable way to fly.

Key word from 15 seconds into the video ... "upgraded." Anyone who flies business class regularly, either on their own dime or that of their employer, presumably has some idea of what good food and service is and what isn't and knows not to expect the former on a plane, regardless of the airline.

readytotaxi

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I would love to see those details - any chance you could share them. PM me if you don't think it's for general consumption.
(I could struggle thro' a succession of youtube videos myself, but my internet connection is lousy, and since you've already done it, there seems little point re-inventing the wheel.)

Message sent. ;)