denminn
Topic Author

Keep Eastern Airlines 2.0 in the Air!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:19 pm

In 2015, we saw the rebirth of Eastern Airlines coming some two decades after the original Eastern folded. There was a lot of excitement that this new version would offer regularly scheduled service in short time. The new company at first chartered flights to Cuba and other parts of Latin America and the Carribean. The young airline grew fast, getting up six planes with plans to create a hub in San Juan, Puerto Rico which happened to be a hub for the orginal Eastern.

In late 2016, the founder of the new Eastern, Ed Wegel, left the company. We don't know why he left though some think he was pushed out. After he left, the airline ran into turbulence. In July 2017, we learned that the post-Wegel Eastern had sold itself to Swift Air. It sounded like the Eastern name would continue with Swift. We do know that the company was wound down and in September of 2017, Swift surrendered Eastern's AOC.

Earlier this month a member of Swift management said they were looking into how to use the Eastern name and hope to make a decision during the second quarter of 2018.

We want Swift to know that there are people who want to see Eastern remain in the air. The first two planes in the Eastern fleet that were sold to Swift retain the Eastern livery for now. Please consider signing the petition below to ask that the "Wings of Man" continue to fly in some way.

Thanks!

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-the-eastern-airline-brand-in-the-air.html
Dennis from Minneapolis

PatrickZ80

Re: Keep Eastern Airlines 2.0 in the Air!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:38 pm

You can come up with petitions all you like, but it's not going to help anything. They're bankrupt, out of business, done, case closed. They don't need a petition, they need a truckload full of money to get back in business.

e38

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:53 am

Dennis, what is the purpose of retaining the Eastern Air Lines name? At one time Eastern was a well-respected name in aviation, but not so much in the later years, just prior to Eastern shutting down.

I knew several pilots who interviewed with Eastern (circa 1985-1986) who were offered employment; then turned down the employment offers because Eastern's reputation had deteriorated to the extent that they no longer desired to work for a company that was so poorly respected in the airline industry.

This is a business, and you do not make prudent business decisions based on nostalgia. In business things change all the time. Let it go. Move on.

e38

denminn
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:22 am

e38 wrote:

This is a business, and you do not make prudent business decisions based on nostalgia. In business things change all the time. Let it go. Move on.

e38

Maybe you're right. Maybe I am holding on to the past. But I feel I have to give this a try and I'd rather try something and nothing happens, than just give in. So thank, but I'm not taking your advice.
Dennis from Minneapolis

jetblueguy22

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:48 am

A petition isn't getting it into the air, only money will.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

PatrickZ80

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:05 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
A petition isn't getting it into the air, only money will.

I absolutely agree. The very reason Eastern stopped flying is lack of money. Nobody voluntarily pulled the plug, they were forced to do so because they couldn't pay the bills anymore. It doesn't matter how many people want them back in business, I'm guessing they want to get back in business too. But without money that's just not going to happen.

LAXintl

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Let the name rest.

Each reincarnation only stains the memories ever more.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

janders

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Yes let EA RIP.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

e38

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 pm

so Dennis, what's your motivation for keeping Eastern Air Lines in business?

Are you an employee of Eastern, an investor, a stockholder, own a business that has contracts with Eastern/Swift Air ?

e38

ryan78

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:26 am

I agree with the idea that the Eastern brand should go away, however I absolutely wish that livery would stick around for a bit longer. I saw an N276EA taxiing for takeoff in Punta Cana last week, it was operating a Swift flight to Rockford (RFD) and it really stood out as the sun was setting against a backdrop of palm trees and lush vegetation. Such a beautiful livery and I hope Swift will consider keeping them in that livery, or at least delay the painting as long as possible.