believeinflight
Topic Author

New Year's Eve on a plane

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:53 am

Hey, so what is it like celebrating NYE on a plane during midnight (wherever that may be given the crossing of time zones?

YVRing

Re: New Year's Eve on a plane

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:21 am

It probably depends on what fare you bought :P I imagine someone on a ULCC in Y will have a very different time then someone on say Singapore in F.

JoKeR

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:29 am

Was on a JU flight many years ago from DXB via BEY to BEG. Got served champagne and upgraded catering with best wishes extended by the captain and the crew. Memorable flight!

mariner

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:45 am

The people on this flight time travelled:

https://www.rt.com/news/414702-hawaiian ... -auckland/

"Hawaiian Airlines flight takes passengers back in time

A flight from New Zealand to Hawaii just achieved the impossible, going back in time… sort of.

Flightradar24 shared the time-defying flight path on social media on Sunday, showing Hawaiian Airlines flight HA446 taking off from Auckland, New Zealand, which already rang in the new year, and heading for Honolulu, Hawaii, where it will land in 2017.

The rare flight spanning two years was met with disbelief and celebration on social media. “How is this possible?” one commenter asked.

The time-traveling flight was only made possible because the departure was delayed by 10 minutes. It was scheduled to take off at 23:55 but instead took off at 00:05, perhaps to allow the flight crew time to ring in their first of two New Year’s celebrations.

mariner
aeternum nauta

timpdx

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:03 am

On a plane, yes, but only domestic, and we were on the ground, taxiing at the moment. LAX to EWR.

I've done 2 New Years from Japan, New Years in Tokyo then to LAX for a second New Years.

I always looks for New Years or Christmas flights as they can be cheaper during the holidays. And I've done my birthday twice before coming back to LAX from ICN, too.
Last edited by timpdx on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC

B747forever

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:07 am

A few years ago I flew LAX-LHR on BA over New Years. Nothing special on the otherwise packed flight. Upon landing at LHR the captain wished us all a Happy New Year.
Work Hard, Fly Right

spacecadet

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 am

I remember many years ago on a United DC-10, the F/A's had noisemakers and streamers and stuff and definitely brought it to the passengers' attention when the year turned.

I imagine it really depends on the cabin crew. Probably did then as it does today.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:54 am

Flew ATL-MCO a few years ago on New Years Eve, flight was supposed to land at around 9pm, but it didn't end up touching down at MCO until around 11:50pm. It was a great view seeing all the fireworks going off from 20,000 ft, but ultimately it was pretty anticlimactic. Someone had a countdown on their phone and everyone just started counting down, and at midnight everyone screamed Happy New Year. The crew didn't have anything special planned considering the flight was scheduled to arrive at 9pm...Certainly, wasn't how I planned on spending NYE but it was still pretty memorable nonetheless.
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

tigerotor77w

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:28 am

Two years ago I flew IAD-MUC, departing NYE and arriving 1/1/2016. I was in Y. The captain announced the first two year "crossings," the first of which was right around the first drink service. The flight attendants wore "Happy New Year!" party hats and the announcement was met with mild applause, but nothing special was served (at least not in Y). Nothing really happened at the second announcement, and no further announcements were made.

UAinAUS

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 am

Landed today on UA98 from LAX to MEL. Took off on Dec 30. Dec 31 was completely lost crossing the Dateline, and landed on Jan 1. Nothing special other than a few “Happy New Year” announcements from the captain and the FAs in J.

outbackair

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:16 am

Long ago, flew Swissair DC-10-30 Johannesburg to Zurich via Kinshasa (Then Zaire, now Congo). Crew brought around champagne (in economy) at midnight South African time. After takeoff from Kinshasa, people demanded more to celebrate Zaire's NY, then they tried to get the crew to break out more bottles for Swiss NY! I did one domestic in Australia on NYE and as we turned to land at Melbourne, the sky lit up with fireworks. Assume the crew of aircraft may expect this.

neutrino

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 am

Do Lunar New Years count? Its still a new year, right? Celebrated by a big chunk of humanity.
I did LNY eve flights a couple of times and oh, once on Gregorian NYE.
And yeah, both LNYE & GNYE rides were nothing special; just greetings from the crew in varying spirits.

Edit: ah, talking of spirits brings to mind the alcoholic kind. Then I faintly recall champagne being served to all passengers on one of the NYE flights I was on. Can't remember which though.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

jamsco99

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Have flown a few times on new years eve, most recently was 4 hours ago on Ac864 from yul to LHR. ☺

It was announced we are over Halifax and it is now midnight here so happy New year. On a side note the plane was full.

Another time i flew virgin from vegas to lgw and they announced at the gate prior to boarding that it is now midnight in the uk.

flyingturtle

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:20 pm

I've been traveling on a night train once during New Year's Eve. No announcement, nothing, but the train was pretty empty.

Was eerie to watch the fireworks going off when we passed midnight around Mannheim.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

whywhyzee

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:32 pm

I spend almost every new years on a plane, including this one. Never had anything more than a cabin announcement.

Dalmd88

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:04 pm

I friend of mine just flew LAX-SYD. Plane took off late on the 30th and arrived early on the 1st. He missed New years eve entirely.

incitatus

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 pm

Done it several times flying out of GRU or GIG to the USA. Being late night, the time zone considered by the crew was the one at the departure point. I have also spent New Year's at the Admirals Club in Sao Paulo to board after midnight.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

dredgy

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Did a special flight over Antarctica for NYE. Lots of champagne, the whole plane was one big party, but cost 8 grand and just made me really want to land! Though it was daylight at midnight which was a unique experience.

Flanker7

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Did a JFK-AMS few years back on KL and the departure out if JFK was Dutch New Year time. Announcements made to extend a Happy New Year and Champagne served to all passengers. Other then that a normal flight home.
Flying blue only if possible

fbgdavidson

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Not flown over midnight myself but when I was living near Washington my mother flew IAD-LHR on NYE in Club World on BA. Very lightly loaded flight and the crew wished her a happy new year as she bedded down for the night whilst offering a glass of champagne from First.

On the other hand this happened on a VS flight... :wideeyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTxbPFB6Hfg
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

stlgph

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:54 pm

La Compagnie was offering $750 one way Newark to Paris with "liberal service of champagne and caviar."
Almost, almost, *almost* jumped on it. Could have been fun.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jumpjets

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm

I flew LHR-KUL on New Years eve on MH about ten years ago. We left the UK late morning and landed in KUL at 0730 local time. I don't remember the arrival of the New Year being mentioned once during the flight until the captain's farewell remarks came over the intercom.

DocLightning

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm

I was on a DEN-DTW flight once and it hit midnight. Looking down, I could see tiny fireworks going off scattered across the land. The crew wished us a happy new year and the flight was otherwise unremarkable.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

kgaiflyer

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:28 am

Sunday the 31st I was flying LAS-SFO-YVR on United. Drinks and snacks out of LAS. Dinner and drinks on the SFO-YVR portion. We flew most of the way with the cabin lights dimmed which kept the unusual number of infants flying quiet. Lot of travelling military New Year's Eve. But since Vancouver has incoming and departing flights 24/7, no one seemed to be in a party mood.

I'm pretty sure we all went to our hotels and went straight to bed. At the Vancouver Airport Westin, we had a long line stacked up at check in. Some were already asleep on their feet.