mbmbos

Re: 3-Year Old Boy screams for 8-hours on flight.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm

irelayer wrote:
The parents failed in their duty and responsibility.

On the one hand you concede you don't the full circumstances and then you proceed to go ahead and declare the parents at fault.

Once again, you nor I have enough information to judge the situation. But you do so anyway.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

irelayer

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 pm

mbmbos wrote:
irelayer wrote:
The parents failed in their duty and responsibility.

On the one hand you concede you don't the full circumstances and then you proceed to go ahead and declare the parents at fault.

Once again, you nor I have enough information to judge the situation. But you do so anyway.

Your duty and responsibility as a parent is to socialize your children so that they know how to behave in public, or at least to recognize your children has a "problem" and not bring them around in public until that problem has been addressed. You can't just throw your hands up and say "I can't do anything about it". That's the bottom line. If the kid was just misbehaving here and there during the 8 hours, this is totally understandable and just a fact of life. The fact that for the entire 8 hours this kid was just running amok on the aircraft suggests to me that the parents aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing.

-IR

mbmbos

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:17 pm

irelayer wrote:
Your duty and responsibility as a parent is to...-IR

Thanks for letting us all know your opinion on proper parenting. And actually, no thanks. I'm not interested in your opinion on parenting. Parents get that all the time - some scold somewhere or other who weighs in on how they're raising their kids.

I read the thread, watched the video and decided I didn't have enough information to judge or scold. No need to tell someone else how to conduct their job as parent.

You might want to try it sometime.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

irelayer

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 pm

mbmbos wrote:
irelayer wrote:
Your duty and responsibility as a parent is to...-IR

Thanks for letting us all know your opinion on proper parenting. And actually, no thanks. I'm not interested in your opinion on parenting. Parents get that all the time - some scold somewhere or other who weighs in on how they're raising their kids.

I read the thread, watched the video and decided I didn't have enough information to judge or scold. No need to tell someone else how to conduct their job as parent.

My point was we never have perfect information. My opinion was offered based on the available information, not what may or may not be. This is a discussion site where we (I want to say primarily) offer our opinions. So just because you disagree with my opinion doesn't make me a jerk.

And I'm not telling them. I'm telling you. There is a big difference. The way parents choose to raise their children is none of my business.

It seems like I struck a nerve or two, but I'll let it go.

-IR

mbmbos

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 pm

irelayer wrote:
My point was we never have perfect information. My opinion was offered based on the available information, not what may or may not be. This is a discussion site where we (I want to say primarily) offer our opinions. So just because you disagree with my opinion doesn't make me a jerk.

And I'm not telling them. I'm telling you. There is a big difference. The way parents choose to raise their children is none of my business.

It seems like I struck a nerve or two, but I'll let it go.

-IR

Not only do you not have "perfect" information you haven't enough information to judge. That's my point. The nerve you struck was the one that detests self-righteous scolds who think they know more about parenting that the next person.

"The way parents choose to raise their children is none of my business."

Good. Let's leave it that way.

Now, take your own advice and let it go.
- R.M. Rilke

readytotaxi

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 pm

As part of parenting lessons, we all have those right? Every parent should be taught the Startrek Spock hold. Just saying !
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.