neomax
Topic Author

Interesting article on what the Concorde was like

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 am

Cool article on what Concorde was like. Wish I’d gotten the chance.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... AMStoryGal

747srule

Re: Interesting article on what the Concorde was like

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:30 am

Read it and thought it was interesting.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

BostonBeau

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:41 am

Now this was 40+ years ago, but I vaguely remember walking through Concorde when it was in Boston (probably to try to convince MassPort to let it land there). I can't imagine an airline letting the public roam through one of their aircraft today, but that was another era. I was surprised at how small the interior was. It struck me as being about the size of a DC-9. I had already been on a B747 with its high ceilings and wide aisles (back then), and wondered why anyone would want to fly on such a small plane as Concorde? London in 3 hours instead of 6 didn't strike me as that much of an improvement considering the ticket price. Nevertheless, Concorde was a beautiful sight taking off and landing. Very graceful looking, very exciting.

Cunard

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:38 am

It was Concorde night last night on terrestrial TV here in the United Kingdom with two simultaneous and excellent documentaries showing on the Channel 5 network, although I had seen the first one on several occasions the second documentary that followed was very interesting with some footage that I had never seen before and the program must be fairly recent as it ended with a part detailing the planned new supersonic BOOM project.

mariner

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:47 am

BostonBeau wrote:
Now this was 40+ years ago, but I vaguely remember walking through Concorde when it was in Boston (probably to try to convince MassPort to let it land there). I can't imagine an airline letting the public roam through one of their aircraft today, but that was another era. I was surprised at how small the interior was. It struck me as being about the size of a DC-9. I had already been on a B747 with its high ceilings and wide aisles (back then), and wondered why anyone would want to fly on such a small plane as Concorde? London in 3 hours instead of 6 didn't strike me as that much of an improvement considering the ticket price. Nevertheless, Concorde was a beautiful sight taking off and landing. Very graceful looking, very exciting.

There was more to it than the size of the cabin. Once you were at altitude you could see the blackness of space above you and below you the curve of the earth. And the landing - oh my! Those massive engines that took you almost to space were now in reverse thrust and the plane was juddering with power. The two Americans sitting in front me were yelling "yee-haw" all the way.

I would have done it again in a heartbeat. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

SCFirefighter

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 am

It was a great article until this...

While Concorde no longer takes to the skies, it can be visited at a number of aviation museums around the world. Here are some of the best:

.....with no mention of the absolutely pristine Air France Concorde that is sitting in the Smithsonian. (Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center)

ITMercure

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 am

SCFirefighter wrote:

While Concorde no longer takes to the skies, it can be visited at a number of aviation museums around the world. Here are some of the best:

.....with no mention of the absolutely pristine Air France Concorde that is sitting in the Smithsonian. (Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center)

Well, technically it cannot be visited, only walked around.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:38 am

SCFirefighter wrote:

It mentioned some of the best. Obviously simply being put on display with zero access in the Smithsonian isn't that great.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Aviaphile

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Concorde, for me, provided a number of firsts: The narrowness of the cabin, the pre-boarding hype experienced in the designated Concorde lounge at LHR, from which the flight was boarded. Good views were afforded of the waiting aircraft prior to boarding. Concorde seemed to have right of way over other "lesser mortals" in the take off queue, the staggering acceleration and steep initial climb, the sudden sinking feeling when the afterburners were cut, the sight of the curvature of the earth, the altitude of 60 000 feet in the cruise, the sight of the sun rising up over the horizon in the west and then setting again for the second time in a day, the sight of the Mach-meter going over 2, getting to New York before we had left London, taking local times into account. It was a thrill and one which I will ever be grateful to have experienced!
A300 310 319 320 321 332 343 346 380 ATR42 Bae146 707 720 721 722 732 733 734 735 738 741 742 743 744 74D SP 752 762 763 772 1-11400 500 Concorde DC3 DC910 30 50 DC10-30 MD11 Trident 1 2 3 Dash 7 DH6 Do228 328 F27 28 HS 748 LX45 L1011200 Viscount 700 800

fbgdavidson

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm

I got to fly LHR-JFK in mid 2002, about 6 months before the announcement of service ending. It was something I'd always wanted to do and my father bought the ticket for me as a gift before starting at University. I was a click away from booking another LHR-JFK-LHR after the announcement but decided against it. As someone who now lives in NYC and has all my family back in the UK I'd probably have availed myself of the service a few more times if she were still in service.

Trip report: viewtopic.php?t=961861
Sadly the image links are mostly broken now but you can see my photos here: https://fbgd.shutterfly.com/2272
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

shankly

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:02 pm

L1011 - P F M

AvObserver

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 pm

I echo the positive comments about the flying experience. Though I only did it once, it was the best $4093.47 I ever spent! It was only that cheap due to to the farewell sale British Airways offered 15 years ago and that was for just the return trip on the SST. The flight to Heathrow was on a 747 in coach. Not so great going over but what a magnificent ride coming back. An unforgettable experience!

AAvgeek744

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:42 pm

BostonBeau wrote:

I used to see it at DFW on it's second go around at serving the airport (after the Braniff interchange). It used to park at 4E, and I was surprised to see its size relative the the Delta 72S that is was parked next to. Going aboard it at the Museum of Flight at BFI, it was a little too cozy for me. I know people flew it for the speed, but not really for the comfort. It was a loud sucker though. I lived 4 miles north of DFW and could hear it taking off.

cschleic

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:49 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
SCFirefighter wrote:

It mentioned some of the best. Obviously simply being put on display with zero access in the Smithsonian isn't that great.

Also doesn't mention Museum of Flight in Seattle where, yes, you can go inside the plane.

American 767

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:32 pm

cschleic wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
SCFirefighter wrote:

Also doesn't mention Museum of Flight in Seattle where, yes, you can go inside the plane.

In New York, you can go inside it too, Inside the one that's resting on a barge near the USS Intrepid in Manhattan. It's a BA Concorde. I went twelve years ago. I don't know if today (2018) you still can.
Ben Soriano

zrs70

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:50 am

I had three Concorde trips, all at discount prices!

The first was part of FCO-LHR-JFK-LAX. At the time, LHR-JFK would have been about $8000 one way. But beginning in Italy, the entire ticket was $3500 (including FCO-LHR in C and JFK-LAX in UA F).

The second and third were on miles earned from busying magazines. I basically got about 150 miles per dollar. That translated to about $2000 for roundtrip Concord tickets from the US.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

Kent350787

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:27 am

American 767 wrote:
cschleic wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

In New York, you can go inside it too, Inside the one that's resting on a barge near the USS Intrepid in Manhattan. It's a BA Concorde. I went twelve years ago. I don't know if today (2018) you still can.

It's now on the wharf next to the Intrepid. My youngest son and I did the tour in 2016. Fantastic!