TFFIP
Topic Author

fantasy BA...

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Who would you put in these jobs to get BA off the bottom of the barrel.

IAG Overlord...
BA CEO...
BA CFO...
In charge of on board product

anstar

Re: fantasy BA...

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:05 pm

I woudlnt say they were bottom of the barrel... but sure I agree they haven't kept up with some of their competitors in recent years especially in F and J.

george77300

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 am

They have confirmed a new J seat with direct aisle access coming in 2019 with their first A350 getting first seats.

Their F isn’t really that bad at all tbh. Also in Economy they aren’t dreadful. People complain about 10 Abreast in B777 but EK,EY,QR are all 10 abreast and they aren’t bad.

It’s their Club Europe and dreadful international Business that let their product down. Ironically their flat beds on the A321 are so superior to the international business with the 2-1, 1-2 staggered layout and throne seats.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A388

B712 B733 B734 B735 B738 B742 B744 B752 B763 B772 B77E B773 B77W B788

AT75 AT76 B190 C208 DH3T P46T SF34 SR20 SR22 TBM8

BA EI EK EY FR GT H3 IG JQ KX PG PW QF QR SQ TG TP UA U2 VK VS WS WY ZB 8P

steveinbc

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:59 pm

I think BA needs senior management that truly believes that pleasing the customer is the key to loyal passengers and success. Currently they have inconsistent policies which flip flop between full service and LCC type policies. You can get great fares on BA with a decent service and connections that beat the LCCs. Then (like me) I've just purchased two club world return tickets from Vancouver to Rome and they now want (get this) $180 per passenger each way to select a seat. That's $760 additional for a couple just to be able to sit together....its so outrageous a price it almost makes me angry. I'm looking to cancel and book on a competitor which offers seat selection and identical fates such as Air Canada, Lufthansa and Air France...all with daiky/twice dailies out of YVR.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

DAL763ER

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:25 pm

steveinbc wrote:
I think BA needs senior management that truly believes that pleasing the customer is the key to loyal passengers and success. Currently they have inconsistent policies which flip flop between full service and LCC type policies. You can get great fares on BA with a decent service and connections that beat the LCCs. Then (like me) I've just purchased two club world return tickets from Vancouver to Rome and they now want (get this) $180 per passenger each way to select a seat. That's $760 additional for a couple just to be able to sit together....its so outrageous a price it almost makes me angry. I'm looking to cancel and book on a competitor which offers seat selection and identical fates such as Air Canada, Lufthansa and Air France...all with daiky/twice dailies out of YVR.

If only there was a way to find out whether seat selection is payable on an airline...

Snark aside, though, they're not flip-flopping between full service and LCC, they're just providing what everyone else in the market provides so they don't get eaten alive. Do people expect that BA maintain £600 Economy fares and £5000 Business fares like a few years ago, while Norwegian and other carriers are providing flights for a fraction of the cost? No, prices need to come down and services with it. Whoever wants more can always pay more. A lot of the things provided by default are unnecessary to most travelers, like food, checked bags, seat selection. When a business seat to the US roundtrip is predominantly less than £2500, they need to recoup their losses some other way.

superjeff

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 pm

DAL763ER wrote:
steveinbc wrote:

If only there was a way to find out whether seat selection is payable on an airline...

Snark aside, though, they're not flip-flopping between full service and LCC, they're just providing what everyone else in the market provides so they don't get eaten alive. Do people expect that BA maintain £600 Economy fares and £5000 Business fares like a few years ago, while Norwegian and other carriers are providing flights for a fraction of the cost? No, prices need to come down and services with it. Whoever wants more can always pay more. A lot of the things provided by default are unnecessary to most travelers, like food, checked bags, seat selection. When a business seat to the US roundtrip is predominantly less than £2500, they need to recoup their losses some other way.

No disagreement about the passenger who wants a USD 99 / UKL 75 transatlantic ticket. They can pay extra for seat selection, bags, etc. But the person who pays 5K for the same flight in J or F, or even W or full fare Y has already paid for that. BA is making a big mistake here.

fbgdavidson

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:43 pm

steveinbc wrote:
Then (like me) I've just purchased two club world return tickets from Vancouver to Rome and they now want (get this) $180 per passenger each way to select a seat. That's $760 additional for a couple just to be able to sit together....its so outrageous a price it almost makes me angry. I'm looking to cancel and book on a competitor which offers seat selection and identical fates such as Air Canada, Lufthansa and Air France...all with daiky/twice dailies out of YVR.

Well, one of the problems BA had was that high yield business travellers booking last minute tickets at full fare prices ended up with the leftovers in terms of decent seat options. As you're probably aware the seats in Club World are quite variable from the random middles to the upper deck window seats that have tons of room and direct aisle access. Since I first starting paying attention to such things in the early 2000s BA experimented with a number of different ideas in terms of how to tackle the issue. Initially they had a preassignment allowance and once that was reached then pre-assignments were no longer possible until online check-in opened. The range of seats was incremental from 30% in economy to 60% in CW and I think 90% or 100% in First. I think it was around 2006 or so that BA didn't allow pre-assignments unless you were Premier/Gold/Silver/full fare or had an infant in the booking. The current system was borne out of that around 2011 with the price being high enough to put off the "casual" seat assigner, those who really want an upper deck seat or whatever it is can pay for it. Personally I could see myself paying the premium for upper deck windows ahead of time versus the alternative "leftovers" at OLCI.

Yes, it is unfair to irregular oneworld travellers and as people in my line of work say "the optics don't look good" but I'm flying BA tonight, booked my ticket two weeks ago and was able to snag prime seats in Club World. As a Gold cardholder that seems a pretty fair offering.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 pm

That's a good guide to the current system. Enjoy the upper deck, going East or West?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.