manny
Topic Author

Is New Delhi airport that good ?

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:05 am

A few days ago came across an article that said Delhi was adjudged the best airport in the world. I was surprised. I know they have reconstructed it a few years ago, but never thought it was the best in the world. I have never been through there. Is it really that good.

Link
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 189842.cms
Last edited by manny on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AvioGuy

Re: Is New Delhi airport that good ?

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:15 am

No

blandy62

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:16 am

was there last week. I would not say it is the best airport in the world but it is for sure a nice airport

neomax

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 am

If it's better than DTW, yes. I have been to DOH, DXB, SIN, and DTW is still #1. If it's better than DTW, it must be pretty good.

anshabhi

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 am

The question is pretty objective. What do you mean by good?
For me its fast security and customs check, clean and spacious and congestion-free terminals, affordable duty free and food prices, silence (no announcements unless urgent), helpful staff, clean and well maintained washrooms, well marked directions in both English and Hindi for everything, sleeping pods inside terminal, easy availability of information screens everywhere, a dedicated metro line for commuting from the city etc etc.

Except lounges, DEL is my favourite airport.
On the operations side, I have great respect for Delhi ATC. In winters almost every other day they have to fight 0 visibility (as a result of Smog in Delhi's air) and VIP movements (Delhi is national capital and various heads of state, diplomats, and Indian leaders keep visiting) and yet the OTP at Delhi is quite commendable.

conaly

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:44 am

Is it still common there, to let people only into the departure area a few hours before your flight departs? I have read and heard several complaints about the security there, that people despite having their valid tickets and boarding passes ready were not allowed into the departure area, when they arrived three hours or more there. Even passengers with international transfer, who had a six hour transit time had to wait in the "middle of nowhere" before they could enter the departure area and get access to their lounges.

I'm asking, because I have a flight in April from FRA via DEL to KTM in LH and Jet Airways business class, but I have a 12 hour transit in DEL. If the situation is like I heard, that means I wouldn't be able to get into any lounge for 9 hours despite having a business ticket. Can somebody clarify?

sibibom

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:46 am

I am not buying the award over Singapore or Incheon (unlike DEL which is buying it :p)

However its a very nice airport and deserves to be amongst the very best.

9w748capt

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 am

Incredibly overrated airport IMO. Just boggles my mind how difficult it is to get from baggage claim back to the checkin areas. So stupid!!!

anshabhi

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 am

9w748capt wrote:
Incredibly overrated airport IMO. Just boggles my mind how difficult it is to get from baggage claim back to the checkin areas. So stupid!!!

Exit and enter again huh!! Transferring from inside the airport is a tedious process, I agree.

hz747300

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:05 am

conaly wrote:
Is it still common there, to let people only into the departure area a few hours before your flight departs? I have read and heard several complaints about the security there, that people despite having their valid tickets and boarding passes ready were not allowed into the departure area, when they arrived three hours or more there. Even passengers with international transfer, who had a six hour transit time had to wait in the "middle of nowhere" before they could enter the departure area and get access to their lounges.

I'm asking, because I have a flight in April from FRA via DEL to KTM in LH and Jet Airways business class, but I have a 12 hour transit in DEL. If the situation is like I heard, that means I wouldn't be able to get into any lounge for 9 hours despite having a business ticket. Can somebody clarify?

That's not my experience from a couple of years ago. My experience is only on the international part of Terminal 3, I arrived, checked-in and went through immigration control and security pretty quickly. The lounges are all sub-par, that is unfortunately true. But very little in India ever seems 'opulent'. The airport itself is pretty nice once inside, but it's not Singapore, Hong Kong, Incheon, or even Haneda or Bangkok. It's very spacious, and there are some gate areas you cannot enter until it is time, but you have a massive space to explore in the meantime. Outside of the area right after you clear all the formalities, there is a really nice shopping and food area, but there are not many options where the gates are. There is also a transit hotel there you should explore as I think you can book it too during your layover.
Keep on truckin'...

chunhimlai

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 am

It depends on which airports do you compare

If you compare DEL/BOM to Airports in North America, they would be on the top level; when compare to European airport they are above average; and slightly mediocre when compare to east Asia airport

zeke

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 am

DEL is not that good at all, better that what it was.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

believeinflight

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am

The further east you go, the better the airports get, starting and ending at the international date line

EK413

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 am

Works best? Huh? Come again... yes I agree it’s amazing piece of engineering but wouldn’t rate it worlds best.
SIN in my books remains as #1

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

studentdrbev

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:17 am

hands down nope

GCT64

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am

conaly wrote:

Not sure about transit, but it is definitely still the case for departing pax. I was flying on an "early hours of the morning" DEL-LHR and I wasn't allowed to check-in or go through security until 3-4 hours before departure (I can't remember exactly how long before). They have a small cramped area in which to wait. All pretty unpleasant and I wouldn't get there too early again, bad mistake.

DEL is "OK" but definitely not the best airport in the world.
Flown in: A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,B190,(..54 more types..),VC10,WESX

EightyFour

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am

believeinflight wrote:
The further east you go, the better the airports get, starting and ending at the international date line

Mainland Chinese airports disprove this.

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 am

DEL and BOM are both top notch—maybe not the best—but when you consider what they *used* to be like, they deserve all the awards
E pur si muove -Galileo

kjeld0d

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:20 am

Should have seen Old Delhi Airport. Those guys knew how to party.

HimalayanFlyer

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 am

conaly wrote:

I think it is still the case. I experienced this transferring at DEL from KTM where I had a long transfer onto an ET ADD bound flight. KTM wouldn't issue the ET boarding pass, and at DEL they wouldn't issue it until 3 hrs before departure so I had to wait outside the departure area. Try to print out your DEL-KTM boarding pass online or at FRA and then just walk through security and hope they don't check it.
You can also ask Jet for clarification

hardheid

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 am

EightyFour wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

So do Russian airports.

oldannyboy

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:41 am

Just got back from India two days ago.

Delhi is indeed a very good airport by international standards, maybe even an excellent one. The "best one"? Nope.

I have flown in&out, and transited, through the airport (both Terminal 3 and 1C) at least 6 or 7 times in just over 10 days, and I have found it an extremely easy, 'well-oiled', pleasant operation. Staff in general are very professional, quick, efficient and extremely courteous - down to the (apparently military) security people manning the very many security checks.
The airport is clean, modern, pleasant, has lots of food outlets at reasonable prices, and plenty of seating. Security is generally a breeze, and also very thorough and attentive.
Taxi service is fast and excellent.

What I didn't like:
- small (but very nice!) lounges that can easily get overwhelmed when most international flights are leaving at night
- the tiring and bothersome security checks to access the terminal buildings and the check-in areas (two checks, pre- check-in already..)
- the fact that once you have exited the international arrivals hall, you cannot re-enter it..?? I got 'locked out' with the rest of my luggage and fellow travelers still inside the terminal... this is crazy...

jimbobjoe

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Delhi won best in the world... for airports that handle 40 million or more passengers. So a lot of competition is removed, and much of the remaining airports are old airports or large overloaded hubs that have no chance of winning.

Second, BOM also won, tying with DEL. They are quite similar to each other, though they are run by different companies. (BOM has beautiful terminals, I prefer it to DEL even if the terminal layout is odd given land constraints.)

This survey is high on customer service parameters...DEL and BOM do well on that. Lots of staff on the ground, very clean, etc. I believe they'd be best in the world...in comparison to the other top 50 busiest airports.

manny
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 am

jimbobjoe wrote:

Second, BOM also won, tying with DEL. They are quite similar to each other, though they are run by different companies. (BOM has beautiful terminals, I prefer it to DEL even if the terminal layout is odd given land constraints.)

This survey is high on customer service parameters...DEL and BOM do well on that. Lots of staff on the ground, very clean, etc. I believe they'd be best in the world...in comparison to the other top 50 busiest airports.

I have been through BOM. That new International terminal is a phenomenal place to go through and their J class lounges, which i believe is common to all airlines, are really nice.

atypical

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 pm

The Airports Council International (ACI) Airport Service Quality Awards (ASQ) are fairly meaningless..

1. The awards are base on surveys taken at the participating airports. Surveys do not reflect the quality of one airport compared to another they only reflect the tabulated survey results at each airport.

2. The survey questions asked are extremely subjective:
* Cleanliness of airport terminal
* Overall satisfaction with the airport
* Ambience of the airport
* Cleanliness of washrooms
* Availability of washrooms
* Courtesy of check-in staff
* Courtesy of airport staff
* Efficiency of check in staff
* Ease of finding your way through airport
* Feeling of being safe

3. Only participating airports are eligible. In North America 45 airports participate, the following airports (partial list) do not:
ORD
MDW
EWR
JFK
LGA
MIA
MCO
SFO
LAX
LAS
PHX
YVR
PHL
PIT
CLT
STL
MSY
TUL
OKC
MCI

So yeah it is a bragging right but it does not have much intrinsic value.

LAXLHR

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:55 pm

manny wrote:
A few days ago came across an article that said Delhi was adjudged the best airport in the world. I was surprised. I know they have reconstructed it a few years ago, but never thought it was the best in the world. I have never been through there. Is it really that good.

Link
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 189842.cms

Having flown through DEL airport many times, I have to say no! It functions well and the arrival and departure process is ok, so thats good. Outside of the Terminal is always pretty chaotic since only departing passengers are allowed into the building. Good luck finding your uber upon arrival. I always order the hotel car now.

The new-ish International Terminal re-do is nice, but massive. Feels like you have to walk forever. The food court is AWFUL!!! Full of crappy American fast food chains, and a couple of local ones. I was there in January and the food experience was sooooo awful that I had to resort to McDonalds :-( :-(

Security at DEL & BOM airport takes forever. They are incredibly thorough, one of the best in the world.

The new Terminal is not as nice as ICN, DOH, LAX TBIT departure extension or LHR T2/T3. Actually reminded me of GRU and GIG's new departure halls.
BA JM EA GK QH PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

PanzerPowner

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 am

hardheid wrote:
EightyFour wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

So do Russian airports.

Japan stares at all of them.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

manny
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 am

atypical wrote:
The Airports Council International (ACI) Airport Service Quality Awards (ASQ) are fairly meaningless..

1. The awards are base on surveys taken at the participating airports. Surveys do not reflect the quality of one airport compared to another they only reflect the tabulated survey results at each airport.

2. The survey questions asked are extremely subjective:
* Cleanliness of airport terminal
* Overall satisfaction with the airport
* Ambience of the airport
* Cleanliness of washrooms
* Availability of washrooms
* Courtesy of check-in staff
* Courtesy of airport staff
* Efficiency of check in staff
* Ease of finding your way through airport
* Feeling of being safe

3. Only participating airports are eligible. In North America 45 airports participate, the following airports (partial list) do not:
ORD
MDW
EWR
JFK
LGA
MIA
MCO
SFO
LAX
LAS
PHX
YVR
PHL
PIT
CLT
STL
MSY
TUL
OKC
MCI

So yeah it is a bragging right but it does not have much intrinsic value.

With all due respect, some of the airports not participating, like ORD, EWR, LGA, LAS are shitholes. So you are not losing much quality if they do not participate.

manny
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 am

LAXLHR wrote:
Security at DEL & BOM airport takes forever. They are incredibly thorough, one of the best in the world.

The new Terminal is not as nice as ICN, DOH, LAX TBIT departure extension or LHR T2/T3. Actually reminded me of GRU and GIG's new departure halls.

I have traveled through BOM's new terminal. Its not the security that takes time. It is the immigration check. They are very deliberate and thorough. Takes more time than anywhere else I have seen on the planet.

directorguy

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 am

Used DEL twice, arriving and departing, last year.
It's a good airport-wait times for immigration (both entry and exit), and security are reasonable. Plenty of check-in space, no bottlenecks. Some interesting architectural/interior design embellishments that made the place interesting. In the arrivals area, plenty of shops and kiosks where you can find currency exchanges, hotel/car/train reservations desks. Duty free on departures had plenty of good high-quality stuff. The walk through the departures concourse itself is a bit monotonous due to size, but I think that's common with most airports now.
Didn't try using ground transport other than taxi/pre-arranged transport so cannot say.
Overall I think DEL is fine. I think comparable in many respects to places like IST, KUL.

jumpjets

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm

I have just returned from India and over a three week period arrived and departed from DEL three times [six flights in all]. Included within that was one international arrival; one domestic-domestic connection and one domestic-international connection and one stand alone domestic flight.

Overall I agree with the comments made by directorguy [post #30 ] that the process of using the airport for all those different flight combinations was quite straight forward and reasonably quick.

I used the Jet Airways lounge in T3 Domestic and the ITC Green lounge in T3 International and both were ok, if a bit unexciting.

So quite acceptable but not the best I have used by any means.

unrave

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:06 am

DEL and BOM airports can be excellent as long as you don't have to go through customs and immigration check. The best overall airport that i have experienced is SIN -hands down.
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.