‘US authorization required’ message on ba.com

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:55 pm

I’m an American citizen with a current, valid
US passport in the UK heading back to the US tomorrow but can’t check in online

Keep getting the above message

Called BA they say it’s a glitch and to check
in at the airport

Anyone else experience this ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

B747forever

Re: ‘US authorization required’ message on ba.com

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Not sure, but maybe you are up for SSSS?
Work Hard, Fly Right

LTU932

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:01 pm

In some instances, you cannot check in online at all when departing to the US. Happened to me when I checked in for UA HAM-EWR-SJO (even scanning the passport with the app didn't work), and it didn't have anything to do with SSSS. I suppose it's for the security interview before you're even let to the check-in in the first place. And yes, back when this happened to me, I've seen US passport holders having to check in at the airport because of that as well.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks for that info LTU

LTU932

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Max Q wrote:
Thanks for that info LTU
In your case, it should just be a formality. But now that I think of it, I believe you cannot check in online at all when departing to the US from Europe (regardless of passport). And even if, you'd still have to go through the interview and possibly get new boarding passes.

UA is explicit with that, dunno about BA/AA. When I checked in for HAM-LHR-DFW-SJO, I could check in online with BA but during the transfer between T5 and T3, I still went through the interview (I still got the sticker from it) and got new boarding passes during boarding for the AA segments. The late AB I believe didn't allow OLCI at all if the flight went via the US.

I wish they could make the procedure, in light of modern day technology, much easier, but I guess sometimes, you'd still need personal contact for these kinds of things. Then again, it's probably not just the US doing that, I believe China (or rather when you check in for a flight from China) in some cases requires you to check in at the airport for a visa check or something, and as far as Europe is concerned, I've known instances where non-EU citizens got interviewed by security at the airport, but I have no idea if they can check in online.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

alggag

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 am

We flew BA FCO-LHR-USA earlier this week and while I was able to successfully complete OLCI my travel partner received the authorization required message and thus I could not complete her OLCI. At the airport in FCO the check in agent had issues checking in her in and had to get help from her colleagues behind the counter but as they were speaking in Italian I couldn't really catch on to what the issue was. It was resolved in about 5 or 10 minutes and while I received normal boarding passes my partner's had the SSSS. No interviews in either FCO or LHR before boarding the flight to the USA. Also, despite having the SSSS on her BP she did not actually have any additional screening.

ltbewr

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:24 am

Perhaps some algorithm is used for factors to be on the lookout for like where you have traveled in the last month or recent years, a passport near expiration, or even just a random pick of persons to avoid looking like targeting persons from certain countries, ethnicity or faith (per name).

Max Q
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 am

Wasn’t an issue at the airport

However I have been able to check in online and print my boarding pass in the UK on numerous occasions before

readytotaxi

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:33 pm

My last exprince was similar. Flying with BA to the US I was unable to check-in on line but was able to select my seat. At the airport I tried the booth and was rejected with a message to go to customer service.At the desk the lady made a phone call and said to someone at the other end "he is here"
a bit more tapping on the computer and I got my boarding pass. At the gate I was taken to one side, hand luggage emptied and searched and full body pat down, and then boarded. Guess I'll never know why.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 am

This issue should be clarified by the airlines

I mean who knows what US authorization required’ means ?

I got that message along with something like ‘awaiting permission from US government’ and wouldn’t let me check in

It sounds pretty ominous, even when I called BA they couldn’t explain why I was getting this message other than stating it was a ‘glitch’ but they couldn’t be sure

If on line check in cannot be done a specific reason should be displayed, if it’s just a passport check then that should be shown

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:03 am

readytotaxi wrote:
My last exprince was similar. Flying with BA to the US I was unable to check-in on line but was able to select my seat. At the airport I tried the booth and was rejected with a message to go to customer service.At the desk the lady made a phone call and said to someone at the other end "he is here"
a bit more tapping on the computer and I got my boarding pass. At the gate I was taken to one side, hand luggage emptied and searched and full body pat down, and then boarded. Guess I'll never know why.

‘He is here’ is not what you want to be said
when you’re going through a security check !!

jetwet1

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 am

The US security process is a mystery to most, I fly into LAX probably once a month from an international flight, as above, probably 50% of the time I have to check in in person, then when I get to LAX again, 50% of the time I have to go through extra clearance from immigration, it's a royal pain in the butt, but as I have a friend who works there it does give me a chance to say hi while someone tries to figure out why the system keeps flagging me.

ltbewr wrote:
Perhaps some algorithm is used for factors to be on the lookout for like where you have traveled in the last month or recent years, a passport near expiration, or even just a random pick of persons to avoid looking like targeting persons from certain countries, ethnicity or faith (per name).

That would be my guess and as with anything human made, there can be errors.

flipdewaf

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:08 am

I was working in the US last week (from the UK) and filled my ESTA in wrong 3 weeks ago (got two numbers from my passport the wrong way round) so on Sunday last week I wasn't able to check in online as it said I didn't have a valid ESTA. I went straight online when I realised my mistake and filled in the ESTA forms again and this porved to be successful (with an agonising 20minute wait this time). I could then check in straight away and all went well but I was questioned by security at LHR, questioned by the gate agent at LHR and questioned by border control at ATL (not sure if it was a normal level of questioning or not. I guess that it was because it had been flagged up that I had either only done my ESTA the night before or that there were two with the wrong name.

My initial one (with wrong passport number) was accepted straight away which now strikes me as weird as the name and number clearly don't match up. So like others have said its a mystery.

Fred