rjsampson
Topic Author

When traveling with your significant other, would you let them have the Window Seat?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 am

My SO and I were on the airplane, she asked me:Do you love me enough to give me the the Window Seat if I asked?” Thought about it for a bit and say “Hmmm. Not really.”

Of course I was kidding, but it’s an unspoken rule that she’ll always be in the aisle seat. Of course if she REALLYwanted it, I’d most certainly relent. And she knows I’m a private pilot obsessed with aviation so she understands.

Or.. Maybe I’m just a big jerk lol

How about you guys?
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

ACDC8

Re: When traveling with your significant other, would you let them have the Window Seat?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 am

We take turns - but she does prefer the aisle, so most of the time I get the window anyway.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

quintinsoloviev

Re: When traveling with your significant other, would you let them have the Window Seat?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am

The only person I've ever given a window seat up for is my dad

skiaplg

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 am

My partner is afraid of flying and always very stressed - only thing that helps is being in the window seat, so yes I do give it up when travelling together!

BENAir01

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 am

If my significant other asked really nicely, I would oblige, as long as he agreed to sit far enough back that I could still see out of the window, and that he filmed the takeoff and landing.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

vhtje

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:06 am

We are both aviation nuts, so we take it in turns. The funny thing is, as I am the more senior member of the BA Executive Club, my seating preferences always override my partner's, so I am always assigned the window seat automatically (at least when travelling on oneworld carriers). This always causes a murmur from the disgruntled other half. Obviously though, if it is not "my turn", we simply swap boarding seats when onboard.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Flanker7

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I usually take the aisle and she get the window when traveling together. I actually prefer an aisle anyway so I can stretch my legs a bit better.
Flying blue only if possible

stlgph

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:43 pm

If it's an issue, just sit in separate seats.Do you *always* have to be up each other's cheddar all the time?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jetwet1

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:50 pm

I normally take the window seat for the simple reason that if I fall asleep there is no way she can step over me, if she falls asleep it's not an issue.

Adipasquale

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 pm

It works well that my girlfriend usually prefers the aisle, so fighting over the window seat is never really a concern. Additionally, she knows how much I love aviation and the window seats, and has even taken middle seats to be next to me. We've been pretty lucky though, on our longest flight together, from DTW-PVG and back, we were able to get the twosome seats at the back of the 747, and therefore had window and aisle access!
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

desertjets

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 pm

She gets the window with no question. She isn't the happiest of fliers and the window is more comfortable for her. So that meant the middle seat for me in a 757 to Ireland and back and pretty much every other trip since in the past 10 years I've been stuck in the middle except on an RJ or MD-something. Now with kiddo in tow he gets stuck in the middle and I get the aisle, which is my usual preference.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

IADCA

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 pm

stlgph wrote:
If it's an issue, just sit in separate seats.Do you *always* have to be up each other's cheddar all the time?

This. I'm a window person, she's an aisle person. Therefore we sit that way, often with a stranger between us, but sometimes not even in the same row. If she wanted the window for some reason, I'd give it to her, but that never happens. Or we could sit in window seats in separate rows, much like adults can do.

cranberrysaus

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:05 pm

rjsampson wrote:
My SO and I were on the airplane, she asked me:Do you love me enough to give me the the Window Seat if I asked?” Thought about it for a bit and say “Hmmm. Not really.”

She was testing you. You gotta say yes even if you don't mean it. :lol:

aklrno

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 pm

What? I have a choice?

aeromoe

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:48 pm

stlgph wrote:

I gotta take this one, sorry. You ARE in separate seats, aren't you? Two tickets = two separate seats. Only lap babies are allowed in the SAME seat with someone else. Ok, done.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

spacecadet

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:00 am

I don't often get to fly in airplanes with a two-seat side. When I do, I give my wife the window seat. I'm fine with the aisle anyway (less of a pain to go to the bathroom, and I can put my leg in the aisle).

But usually we fly on airplanes with three seats per side. Then one of us has to have the middle. I've actually talked to her about this and she has ceded the aisle to me. (I'd rather have aisle/middle than window/middle, so that's what I always book.) I still offer it to her occasionally to make sure the deal still stands, because after 4 or 5 flights with her in the middle, it starts to feel unfair to me. But she always tells me to keep the aisle, because at 5'5", she's ok with 31" of seat pitch, but she knows I have real problems if I have my legs pressed in on both sides, which puts my knees right in to the seat in front of me even before it's reclined.

If I was flying alone and all that was available was middle seats, I'd take another flight. But still I offer it to her sometimes, hoping she'll give me the aisle. I'd sit in the middle for her if she really wanted, though.

When we fly really long distances, I always make sure we're in a situation where the middle seat doesn't matter. (Exit row, bulkhead, business class or whatever.) And I buy Economy Plus whenever possible even on short hops, both for myself but also to make her middle seat a little better.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Kent350787

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:05 am

Mine and I have always alternated.

My 10yo always gets the window.....4 long haul sectors last October (789) the most recent, with two A330 short haul (2-4-2 layout) coming up

dredgy

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 am

spacecadet wrote:
. (I'd rather have aisle/middle than window/middle, so that's what I always book.).

Book Window and Aisle. Much less chance someone will book the middle seat then and you can have the entire row to yourself. If the flight is full, then simply offer the person in the middle either the aisle or the window - they'll always say yes.

MrBretz

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:51 pm

I let her pick the seat she prefers. Most things don't bother me too much. It's easier to "suffer" than listen to someone complaining. For example, I would rather suffer and complain here about a middle slimline seat in economy that listen to her complain to me about it.

SRQKEF

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 am

I take the window on day flights, but she gets it if it’s night flight. She likes to lean against the window while sleeping, but understands aviation is a passionate hobby of mine and that I like taking photos outside especially during takeoff and landing. The photo on my profile wouldn’t be a reality if it wasn’t for me having the window that morning! ;)

Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

spacecadet

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:42 am

dredgy wrote:
Book Window and Aisle. Much less chance someone will book the middle seat then and you can have the entire row to yourself. If the flight is full, then simply offer the person in the middle either the aisle or the window - they'll always say yes.

Believe it or not, they won't. I've tried it. First time we did, the middle seat person said no. They booked the middle seat, they were staying in the seat they booked.

Some people are just nuts. I've learned as I've aged that you just have to plan around those people if you don't want to live in a state of constant rage.

spacecadet

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:43 am

dredgy wrote:

Believe it or not, they won't. I've tried it. First time we did, the middle seat person said no. They booked the middle seat, they were staying in the seat they booked.

Some people are just nuts. I've learned as I've aged that you just have to plan around those people if you don't want to live in a state of constant rage.

Osiris

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 pm

I (the man) enjoy flying, but I'm not a child anymore, so taking it in turns seems the fairest approach.

SHE likes the window seat too, so I (the man) don't mind swapping with HER.

ojjunior

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Of course not. All she does when flying is to sleep.
Why would I lost my window view to hear her snoring?
No way.