Zoedyn
Topic Author

The current club of global airports with non-stop services to all other 5 populated continents

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm

With the latest launch of PER-LHR route by QF, a new member is added to the highly exclusive club of the world's airports that lay claim to have non-stop intercontinental services to all other five populated continents on earth, as indicated by the maps below.
So far, the accolades go to: JNB, DOH, DXB, IAH, LHR
If you know any omissions here, plz point out.
Which airport will be the next most likely?

kngkyle

Re: The current club of global airports with non-stop services to all other 5 populated continents

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm

I would say it is just a matter of time until ORD joins the club, with Ethiopian now filling to Africa hole and either Qantas or Air NZ likely to fill the Australia hole within the next year or two.

YoungDon

Re: The current club of global airports with non-stop services to all other 5 populated continents

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:34 pm

IAH doesn't have Africa service anymore, but I suspect that will change pretty soon.

cosyr

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 pm

YoungDon wrote:
IAH doesn't have Africa service anymore, but I suspect that will change pretty soon.

They do through tomorrow. Service ends March 28th, 2018

Dominion301

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
With the latest launch of PER-LHR route by QF, a new member is added to the highly exclusive club of the world's airports that lay claim to have non-stop intercontinental services to all other five populated continents on earth, as indicated by the maps below.

I'm pretty sure AUH is on that list too.

SRQKEF

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:

I'm pretty sure AUH is on that list too.

Nope, not since EY cancelled GRU in 2016.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

CHI787ORD

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 pm

kngkyle wrote:
I would say it is just a matter of time until ORD joins the club, with Ethiopian now filling to Africa hole and either Qantas or Air NZ likely to fill the Australia hole within the next year or two.

ORD is just one flight away from being in the club, as will be IAH tomorrow.

Any other major airports that are 1 flight away? Most of the major European hubs (CDG, MAD, FRA, MUC, etc) for sure.

gatibosgru

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:07 pm

I could see EZE making the list soon. GRU misses out on Australia flights.
@DadCelo

SAAFNAV

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:09 pm

To nitpick: Antarctica is a populated continent.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

Galwayman

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Perth doesn’t have non stop service to South America does it ?

Galwayman

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Perth doesn’t have non stop service to South America does it ?

Ah got it now .... it’s London that’s joined the club not Perth

SRQKEF

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:21 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
kngkyle wrote:

Any other major airports that are 1 flight away? Most of the major European hubs (CDG, MAD, FRA, MUC, etc) for sure.

Same with many Asian airports that lack the option of a S-American link because of range: NRT, HKG, PEK, SIN, KUL, BKK, DEL among others. SYD also has everything but Europe.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

MoKa777

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Zoedyn wrote:

There is a special distinction for JNB, and now LHR, (that I have mentioned before but people don't seem to get what I mean). These are the only airports with nonstop service provided to all main 6 inhabited continents by at least one home carrier from each of these respective continents.

DOH and DXB have their own home carrier providing service to each continent. I believe the service between Africa and IAH is provided by an American company, Atlas Air on behalf of SonAir and ending soon..?

LHR has QF, and various airlines from all other continents.

JNB has SAA providing nonstop 6 continent service and QF, various Asian, European and African carriers, DL and JJ. Double nonstop club. Haha
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

IADCA

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:24 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
kngkyle wrote:

I'd imagine there are a decent number more in North America - just off the top of my head, IAD is missing only Australia, as are JFK (which even has it as a one-stop, same plane service), EWR, YUL (at least seasonally only missing Australia), and YYZ (also has one-stop, same plane to all). SFO and LAX (which has a one-stop, same plane) are missing only Africa. GRU is also missing only Australia.
Last edited by IADCA on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yowza

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:31 pm

I don't want to get caught in the "I'm better at geography than you" game but for me YYZ makes the grade. HNL is in Oceania so it ticks that box. ADD is now direct and so it ticks that box. All others are covered in spades. Also if you count same plane, same flight number routes AC33 runs YYZ-YVR-SYD.

YOWza

IADCA

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 pm

yowza wrote:
I don't want to get caught in the "I'm better at geography than you" game but for me YYZ makes the grade. HNL is in Oceania so it ticks that box. ADD is now direct and so it ticks that box. All others are covered in spades. Also if you count same plane, same flight number routes AC33 runs YYZ-YVR-SYD.

YOWza

Counting HNL as Australia/Oceania would add several more members to the club besides YYZ - EWR, IAD, JFK, and ORD would all make it under the same logic. I personally wouldn't count it, but I understand the logic.

qf002

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:38 pm

I agree that ORD will probably be next (just waiting for an announcement!) but CDG will join the list as well if QF opens service from PER (which won't be until late-2019 at the earliest).

LAX would have been on the list at one point, wouldn't it? Any chance that ET could eventually drop the DUB stop?

Bricktop

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:40 pm

yowza wrote:

YOWza

Oceania is a continent?

IADCA

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Bricktop wrote:
yowza wrote:

YOWza

Oceania is a continent?

If you're going with plate tectonics, absolutely, but that also puts it on a different continent from Australia. If you're going by conventional conceptions, what continent is Hawaii on? What continent is New Zealand on? What about all the islands in the Pacific? I believe he had good reason for stating it in the neutral manner he did - to avoid opening the can of worms that you did, and out of which I just poured said worms.

yowza

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Oceania is a continent?

yowza wrote:
I don't want to get caught in the "I'm better at geography than you" game

Brandon757

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:50 pm

DFW is only missing Africa. I don't see that one happening.

Bricktop

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:55 pm

yowza wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Oceania is a continent?

yowza wrote:

Too late. :razz: :lol:

A little googling puts Australia, New Zealand and Papua-New Guinea as Oceania, plus assorted South Pacific Islands if you want to be "inclusive". Hawaii is North America. Personally based on my 1960's education I think there are 5 continents, 7 maybe if you include the polar ice masses. Not that it matters a whit, but these days nobody wants to feel left out I suppose.

RamblinMan

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:56 pm

I can accept counting New Zealand as part of the Australian continent but including Hawaii is ridiculous.

BTW if we're going by major tectonic plates, it makes more sense to count India as separate from Asia than it does to count Europe.

XAM2175

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Bricktop wrote:
yowza wrote:
I don't want to get caught in the "I'm better at geography than you" game but for me YYZ makes the grade. HNL is in Oceania so it ticks that box.

Oceania is a continent?

Nope, it's defined as
Oceania [n]
A geographical region composed of many islands (Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia) plus Australasia. It is located between Asia, Antarctica and the Americas.

Usage notes:
Despite the fact that Oceania is technically not a continent, some people use the term when referring to the continents of the world in place of the Australian continent, mostly because several Oceanian countries are located in the Pacific Ocean and would otherwise be unable to be classified within a continent unless grouped in with Australia.

General convention (in English-speaking countries) is based on contiguous areas of continental crust with significant above-water expression and holds that the following are continents:
Africa
Asia (though it is not clearly geographically or geologically separated from Europe, the line is usually drawn to place it east of the Suez Canal, the Ural River, the Ural Mountains, and south of the Caucasus Mountains and the Caspian and Black Seas)
Europe (being west and north of the aforementioned features, and including Iceland)
North America (including Greenland)
South America
Antarctica
Australia (sometimes referred to as Australinea or Meganesia, including the Australian mainland, Tasmania, New Guinea, and New Britain but by strict measures excluding New Zealand, which technically sits on the mostly-submerged continent of Zealandia).

ayoungblood2

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:16 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
kngkyle wrote:

I feel like AUH would be next up along with the major European hubs. Also I feel like SIN and DFW could happen within reason in the future, with SIN depending on direct service to South America and DFW needing an Africa flight.

BWIAirport

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:20 pm

LAX is a possibility with Casablanca 5,990nmi away, Cairo 7,606nmi away, and Lagos 7,725nmi away if anyone wanted to get creative. Johannesburg is probably too far to be practical at 10,385nmi from LAX.
Next flight: 3/1 DL2834 BWI-ATL B739
3/1 DL661 ATL-STT B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

BWIAirport

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 pm

yowza wrote:
I don't want to get caught in the "I'm better at geography than you" game but for me YYZ makes the grade. HNL is in Oceania so it ticks that box.

I don't know if anyone would consider HNL anything but American, and therefore, North American.
Next flight: 3/1 DL2834 BWI-ATL B739
3/1 DL661 ATL-STT B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

lancelot07

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Bricktop wrote:
yowza wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Oceania is a continent?

yowza wrote:

Too late. :razz: :lol:

A little googling puts Australia, New Zealand and Papua-New Guinea as Oceania, plus assorted South Pacific Islands if you want to be "inclusive". Hawaii is North America. Personally based on my 1960's education I think there are 5 continents, 7 maybe if you include the polar ice masses. Not that it matters a whit, but these days nobody wants to feel left out I suppose.

Now I have news for you :smile:
Europe, Asia, North and South America, Africa, and Australia make 6 continents. Add Antarctica (they found land below the ice). :bigthumbsup: makes 7.
But they didn't find land under the Arctic ice cap, no continent there. How unfair! :cry2:

Hawaii is NOT a continent and geologically NOT a part of North America, nor is it anywhere near Australia/Oceania.

Isn't IST in the club? :eyepopping:
Last edited by lancelot07 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qf002

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm

lancelot07 wrote:
Isn't IST in the club? :eyepopping:

No Australia (or Hawaii for that matter).

c933103

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
yowza wrote:

I don't know if anyone would consider HNL anything but American, and therefore, North American.

Guam and American Samoa are also American but they are 100% not North America.
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

CHI787ORD

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Looks like ORD will join the club officially this November

http://newsroom.united.com/2018-03-27-U ... d-Auckland

thekorean

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm

ET is changing ADD-HKG-ICN to ADD-ICN-NRT so ICN should join the lost soon.

BENAir01

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:40 pm

So ORD will quickly replace IAH... lol
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

_AA_777_MAN

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
So ORD will quickly replace IAH... lol

Yep with ET doing ADD-ORD and NZ starting AKL-ORD this november.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

chicawgo

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Zoedyn wrote:

Looks like two the same day!! ORD came quicker than anyone thought!

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:56 am

cosyr wrote:
YoungDon wrote:

They do through tomorrow. Service ends March 28th, 2018

That's a bit of shock. So 5Y is ending IAH-LAD just today. But why? Weak traffic demand?

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 am

MoKa777 wrote:
There is a special distinction for JNB, and now LHR, (that I have mentioned before but people don't seem to get what I mean). These are the only airports with nonstop service provided to all main 6 inhabited continents by at least one home carrier from each of these respective continents.

DOH and DXB have their own home carrier providing service to each continent. I believe the service between Africa and IAH is provided by an American company, Atlas Air on behalf of SonAir and ending soon..?

LHR has QF, and various airlines from all other continents.

JNB has SAA providing nonstop 6 continent service and QF, various Asian, European and African carriers, DL and JJ. Double nonstop club. Haha

Good observation. Did some check, confirming that JNB and LHR indeed are currently the only two airports in the world with non-stop intercontinental services to all other five inhabited continents provided by at least one home carrier from each of the all other continents respectively

JNB-ATL: Delta, USA
JNB-GRU: LATAM Brasil, Brazil
JNB-PEK: Air China, PRC
JNB-LHR: British Airways, UK
JNB-SYD: Qantas, Australia

LHR-JNB: South African Airways, South Africa
LHR-GRU: LATAM Brasil (LHR-EZE is not served by an Argentinian carrier), Brazil
LHR-PEK: Air China, PRC
LHR-PER: Qantas, Australia
LHR-LAX: American Airlines, USA

Between the double non-stop club, JNB is a notch above LHR in that its home-base carrier South African Airways also provides these non-stop services to all other five continents, whereas non-stop service to Oceania is unavailable yet at LHR by British Airways

For DOH and DXB, they are, for example, yet to have home carriers from South America to serve non-stop routes to the continent

IAH has the pity of ending non-stop LAD just today, per info by well-informed A.netters, hence losing the distinction very shortly
Last edited by Zoedyn on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DolphinAir747

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:38 am

JFK was formerly part of the club during the days of TN service to PPT (generally accepted as part of Oceania, though Hawaii is North America).

jubguy3

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 am

Since when was Hawaii in Oceania????? Oceania consists of: Australia, NZ, Papua New Guinea, sometimes certain parts of Indonesia but never Sumatra or Borneo, Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia. Hawaii is nowhere near Oceania. It is both continentally and geopolitically a part of north America

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:56 am

DolphinAir747 wrote:
JFK was formerly part of the club during the days of TN service to PPT (generally accepted as part of Oceania, though Hawaii is North America).

Could JFK put money on JFK-SYD to be a fully qualified member of the club by pushing Airbus/Boeing to develop commercially viable aircrafts that can overcome the 16,000 km distance? Qantas is definitely highly interested to start such service :white:

DWC

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:10 am

The question is spurious, because continents as defined today are a pure matter of convention, Consider this :

1. for starters, America is one continent with some 35 nation-states, there is no North America or South America as continents save for some denizens of the USA who have a romantic idea of America. Geographically, North America is Canada, USA & Mexico, anything between Guatemala & Panama is Central America, the rest being south America as a geographical region but not a continent. Alternatively, some distinguish between Latin America ( from Ushuaia all the way to Tijuana ), but I don't think it is relevant for commercial aviation.

2. The division between Europe & Asia is also spurious, the Urals are way more East than the Bosphorous ; hell, the pan-European Eurovision TV show figures artists from Israel, Turkey and other further into the Middle East, which originally was called the Near East ( as in French Proche-Orient ), the British naming Middle East all that was between the Near East & the Far East, which I imagine is India & all that lies north of it.

3. Even Asia as a concept is spurious, it is huge landmass much bigger than any other, which could well be divided tectonically as someone suggested above for India, between Near East, Central Asia & Siberia, India & all of SE Asia & East Asia

4. Hawaii should not be included in Oceania for several reasons, yet was part of the Maori expansion in the Pacific. The main reason why it shouldn't is because it is a federal state of the USA & as such has considerable natural traffic with continental USA, which also would biais the gist of the question that serving another continent is a big deal for any airport to enter the exclusive Club.

5. Oceania itself in mainly water & only two countries are relevant to the discussion, in fact Australia mainly & NZ as a very distant second.
Now, if Papua New Guinea is considered as part of Oceania for the discussion, then geographically & tectonically all of Indonesia should be included in it.

Perhaps a more interesting question would be what airport takes the most passengers further.
By which count we would certainly have to consider AMS, CDG, DXB, DOH, IST, LAX, LHR, PEK, NRT/HND, perhaps even HEL & JFK.
IAD, GRU, JNB, SYD & even ORD would be far behind.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:25 am

SRQKEF wrote:
CHI787ORD wrote:
kngkyle wrote:

Same with many Asian airports that lack the option of a S-American link because of range: NRT, HKG, PEK, SIN, KUL, BKK, DEL among others. SYD also has everything but Europe.

That's true. As Oceania is the blind spot for many European hub airports, it is the same with a number of Asian hubs when it comes to non-stop services to South America.
But to be fair, European hubs have far fatter chances to join the club than their Asian counterparts, and sooner too, given that the almost antipodal distances approximating 20,000 km between East Asia and South America seem to present insurmountable challenges to the current generation of commercial aircrafts in flying range :brokenheart:

gokmengs

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:36 am

Very neat topic, and great detailed opening post. I see ORD, IAH and IST (in 1 year) joining the club. Now what is LAX and ATL missing? They can’t be too far away no?
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 am

While ppl here taking issue with the categorization of continents and the controversy thereof have a point, the OP has the following points to clarify on the issue inherent within the topic at hand:

• The division of the world into regions, continents or oceans, is no matter of rocket science with exactitude. There are many ways and approaches to do it for whatever sakes (by climate, language, religion, economics etc). The OP has chosen in the topic to adopt a widely-used conventional way of dividing the world into 7 continents, that is, Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, South America, Oceania (New Zealand included), and the Antarctic. However flawed and problematic this may seem to many, it remains at least one of the best known and most used ways in most parts of the world to look at the globe divisionally, if not THE one. Of course, terms like "best known", "most used" or "conventional" are by no means synonymous with being correct or right. Use of these terms is simply a somewhat reflection of the state of human cognition

• Likewise, Hawaii is treated on the spectrum towards the end of North America for obvious social political reasons. Treating it otherwise is perfectly OK and understandable for vigorously hairsplitting academic purposes, but in the original post here, its status is categorized as part of North America

• In a similar fashion, the groupings of airports can be as many as there are airports in the world. Grouping them by the measure as defined in this topic is one among the endless many. One airport that falls behind in one grouping can surely be warranted to pick up in another

Hope this clarifies a bit. Anyway, plz take it easy and refrain from worrying yrself too much if you see the divisions here are different from what you are used to:)

Jouhou

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:21 am

CHI787ORD wrote:
kngkyle wrote:

BOS, we have cape Verde back for the moment covering africa.

... Australia is definitely not happening anytime soon though. It's too... exact opposite side of the planet.

lancelot07

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 am

DWC wrote:
The question is spurious, because continents as defined today are a pure matter of convention, Consider this :

1. for starters, America is one continent with some 35 nation-states, there is no North America or South America as continents save for some denizens of the USA who have a romantic idea of America. Geographically, North America is Canada, USA & Mexico, anything between Guatemala & Panama is Central America, the rest being south America as a geographical region but not a continent. Alternatively, some distinguish between Latin America ( from Ushuaia all the way to Tijuana ), but I don't think it is relevant for commercial aviation.

2. The division between Europe & Asia is also spurious, the Urals are way more East than the Bosphorous ; hell, the pan-European Eurovision TV show figures artists from Israel, Turkey and other further into the Middle East, which originally was called the Near East ( as in French Proche-Orient ), the British naming Middle East all that was between the Near East & the Far East, which I imagine is India & all that lies north of it.

1. The AmericaS are TWO continents. This is because of 2 different tectonic plates that were not joined for most of earth's history. The divison line is the isthmus of Panama.

2. The division of Europe and Asia is indeed somewhat vague. The limits have been moved a couple of times to the east, for political reasons. The Bosporus is clear, and the Ural Mountains have always been regarded as the frontier. Not so clear is the area in between - the Caucasus Mountains, or the depression north of it. Usually, you take the low point, not the high point.
But you could make a point and view the whole thing as one continent with much better arguments than only one American contnent, and you could include Africa as well! After all, it is ONE landmass!

CHI787ORD

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:42 pm

gokmengs wrote:
Very neat topic, and great detailed opening post. I see ORD, IAH and IST (in 1 year) joining the club. Now what is LAX and ATL missing? They can’t be too far away no?

LAX is missing a nonstop to Africa. They have ET service right now but with a layover in DUB on both trips. ATL does not have Oceania service.

santi319

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm

In all of the Latin American schools we are taught that America is ONE continent. Theres even a song by Latin superstar Luis Miguel called "America".

Now in the USA they divided it in school, but then again I have American friends that asked me how was my trip to Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia in 2018...so

flymco753

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:47 pm

flyfresno wrote:
CHI787ORD wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

LAX is missing a nonstop to Africa. They have ET service right now but with a layover in DUB on both trips. ATL does not have Oceania service.

I would think that LAX is closer than ATL is to the club...can the A350/787 even do ATL-SYD or AKL nonstop?
ATL-Oceania can be done on ULR.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flyfresno

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:47 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

I would think that LAX is closer than ATL is to the club...can the A350/787 even do ATL-SYD or AKL nonstop?