Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Transiting ORD on AA int. to domestic in 2hrs

Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 am

Dear fellow A.netters,

In a few weeks' time I will be transiting ORD on AA for the first time, arriving from LHR and transferring onto a domestic connection. I will be travelling with only hand luggage, and will be holding my onward boarding pass. I everything goes according to plan, I will have approximately 2 hours from landing to departure.

I generally avoid like the plague transfers from international to domestic in US airports for obvious reasons, but this was a last minute booking on fixed dates for a very short trip, the ticket was super cheap, and really didn't have an option, so I had to bite the bullet and go ahead...

Should I expect to be missing my onward connection for sure, or simply hope and hold my breath? Will AA help me ease my transfer in any meaningful way? Any suggestions?

many thanks

danny

Wingtips56

Re: Transiting ORD on AA int. to domestic in 2hrs

Wed May 09, 2018 9:50 am

I did it last fall, from Rome with a 2:30hr published schedule. We were on time. With baggage (so you have an advantage there). We did get about 15 minutes or so in the Admirals Club, once we found it.

AA should have an Arrivals video on screen prior to landing; watch it. AA international arrivals use the distant Terminal 5, where you will go through U.S. Customs. Passport check, play 20 Questions and then scoot, since you don't have to wait for bags. Out the front, follow the signs for connections and Terminal 3: up stairs, down stairs up again to the Red Line tram station. Again make sure you are going in the direction of Terminal 3, which fortunately is first, before 2 and 1. Downstairs, into the ticketing lobby and go to the Gates. You do have to go through Security, so it's the 3.2oz liquid and gel limit, prepare to get your electronics out so you don't get hung up. Easy off and on shoes in the event you don't get TSA Pre-check. You will be OK as long as your LHR flight is on time. But don't dawdle.

yeogeo

Wed May 09, 2018 11:07 am

2 hours is plenty of time even for a late afternoon arrival - What time does your BA flight arrive?
I've done gate to gate T-5 to T-2 in under an hour.

jasoncrh

Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 am

Thousands of people do this st O’Hare every day, often with connections of less than two hours. You’re not the first and you won’t be the last to successfully make your connection in 2 hours.

bennett123

Wed May 09, 2018 11:44 am

Are both flights with AA.

peterinlisbon

Wed May 09, 2018 12:12 pm

If your incoming flight is more than 1 hour late then you will miss the connection. If it's on time, then you should be fine.

AA will help you if it´s on one ticket, but if there are two tickets I imagine it's at their discretion. Last time I entered the US I was at immigration for over an hour whilst they interrogated me about my life story and why I had been to so many arab countries. Fortunately I had an 6 hour connection so it didn´t make too much difference to me.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Many thanks to all you wonderful A.netters for the kind replies. :-)

cosyr

Wed May 09, 2018 1:12 pm

With Global Entry and Precheck, I have done customs, train and through security in 36 minutes.

TMccrury

Wed May 09, 2018 1:17 pm

I've not transmitted ORD from Int'l to Domestic. I successfully done ATL last year about this time in 20 minutes. I have Global Entry TSAPre (that didn't count on the Int'l arrivals area security) and no luggage just my carry on. Arrived at F and made it to B in 20 minutes. That was the speediest I've done it. Usually its in the 35 minute range.

zakuivcustom

Wed May 09, 2018 1:27 pm

I would say that, without checked luggage, you should have enough time.

Immigration would be the longest wait (can be 30 mins+, depends on the time of the day...). Customs is usually quick (Longest I've ever waited was 5 mins), then security checkpoint (without Pre-Check) is maybe 15 mins max.

Of course, as someone else already said, if you got Global Entry and TSAPre, it would be like 30 mins total maybe (I've clear custom at ORD in 15 mins before with no checked luggage. With Checked Luggage, well, it's 10 mins through immigration then 15 mins wait for my luggage :white: )

davescj

Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 pm

It depends how fast you get out of customs. I had a colleague arrive IB ex-MAD. He is an EU citizen. It took in excess of 3 hrs to clear immigration. Many pax on that flight (AA, IB, others) both US citizens and non citizens missed flights. AA is good about rebooking in those cases. To be fair, I think ORD as an international -domestic transfer is a disgrace and I consistently find it to be one of the longest waits in immigration and customs in the US. I find I get through JFK, DTW, ATL all much faster.

burnsie28

Wed May 09, 2018 2:08 pm

I would download the mobile passport app. It will significantly speed up the process, almost as quick as Global Entry in some cases. With global I have been off the plane, through customs, on the train, through security and my next gate 27 minutes after arrival from NRT.

https://mobilepassport.us/

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 4:22 pm

burnsie28 wrote:
I would download the mobile passport app. It will significantly speed up the process, almost as quick as Global Entry in some cases. With global I have been off the plane, through customs, on the train, through security and my next gate 27 minutes after arrival from NRT.

Is this not for US passport holders only??

burnsie28

Wed May 09, 2018 4:54 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
burnsie28 wrote:

Is this not for US passport holders only??

Apologies, I guess its still only for US and Canadian Passport holders. However, you can use the kiosks upon arrival.

stlgph

Wed May 09, 2018 5:52 pm

2 hours at ORD for a non-U.S. passport holder to get off a widebody, clear customs, get out the door, head over to T3, clear security and go from there?

If you make that, buy a couple of lotto tickets and toss in a couple of bucks to the jar for St. Jude's.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 2:33 pm

stlgph wrote:
2 hours at ORD for a non-U.S. passport holder to get off a widebody, clear customs, get out the door, head over to T3, clear security and go from there?

If you make that, buy a couple of lotto tickets and toss in a couple of bucks to the jar for St. Jude's.

Ok, thanks for the great suggestion. I'll do that. Maybe those two lotto tickets will enable me to go BizJet next time. Who knows.

stlgph

Thu May 10, 2018 3:29 pm

A trip always needs to have an element of fantasy and fun.

And if you win, please post your numbers.

IPFreely

Thu May 10, 2018 4:33 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Should I expect to be missing my onward connection for sure, or simply hope and hold my breath? Will AA help me ease my transfer in any meaningful way? Any suggestions?

I don't really see a problem. I did just this about 10 days ago on UA with a 90 minute connection, MUC-ORD; arriving terminal 5 and connecting to a domestic flight in terminal 1. Both flights were on time; from the time we arrived at the gate to the time I was at my next gate was about 20-25 minutes. That was about the best case scenario as there were maybe 3 people in front of me to clear security in terminal 1. But even with an above average security wait time you shouldn't have any issues as long as you arrive on time.

Not sure what you mean by AA "easing" your transfer. They won't expedite you around security or hold the outbound plane until you get there if that's what you mean. But as long as you're on one ticket, they will get you to your destination on their next flight if you miss your connection.