zakuivcustom

Re: Airline livery you miss the most

Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Some random one...(I'm not old enough to remember the livery from 60s or 70s :rotfl: )

US Airways Dark Blue (or is it black?) livery
JL's "Arc of the Sun", way better than the current livery.
NW Bowling Shoes, although their final livery wasn't bad, either.
"Old" Varig final livery

P.S. I never understand the hate for AA's current livery. The old one, while okay, is dated. The tail to me is iconic and as "American" as it can get.

colemathews22

Fri May 25, 2018 6:34 pm

The Old Republic/ North Central baby blue with the mallard
Just a young gun in the Aviation industry :airplane:

VC10er

Fri May 25, 2018 8:01 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Would a 28 year old American not know what PanAm was? Jeez, I felt old!

Honestly, I wouldn't be all that surprised. Brands need constant maintenance to stay relevant, after all. Even companies that are still active but have moved into less-obvious business sectors will fade with time - look at IBM's profile with the general public now verses in the late '80s, for example.

Yes, brands no longer selling or serving are not relevant but there is a role for some brands in folklore. It’s not like the name PanAm is dead. From the TV show to Marc Jacobs line of PanAm luggage to Mad Men...and VARIG as magnificent as she was, wasn’t the size of PA. I would hope they would live on in the fabric of a particular culture, Eg; VARIG in Brazil.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2018 2:43 am

artof wrote:
Equatoriana "psychedelic" from the 70's

Agree

That was something else
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2018 2:51 am

The Varig livery that incorporates a curving cheat line terminating under the nose was stunning

I’ve always liked this design, Cathay incorporated it in their 70’s / 80’s paint scheme, very elegant

A slightly modified ANA scheme including this ‘swoop’ at the nose with a blue cheat line and a retention of the globe on the tail Would be a significant improvement to the UAL livery

Can anyone do an ‘artists impression’ of that ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

BAINY3

Sat May 26, 2018 3:08 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Some random one...(I'm not old enough to remember the livery from 60s or 70s :rotfl: )

US Airways Dark Blue (or is it black?) livery

It was a very dark navy. I always thought it was a very dark grey, almost black, until learning otherwise.
This one looked great when it was new, but had some pretty major fading issues. The post-America West merger one also looked great but held up much better over time.

TurboJet707

Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 am

artof wrote:
Equatoriana "psychedelic" from the 70's

Yeah, thanks for bringing that up, that was a wonderful series of liveries indeed!

JBo

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:44 am

I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole of the current AA livery, but I am going to give a shout out to the old American Eagle livery. I actually always kind of liked it more than the mainline livery, because the clean white and boldness of the stripes on the smaller fuselages really made it stand out.

I also always loved the unique "Eagle" script in the logo:

MesserJ wrote:
The final livery of Midwest Airlines on the 717 and MD-80. Such a classy look

Agreed. All three iterations of Midwest's livery were top notch for their time periods, but the final was the best.

TurboJet707 wrote:
Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but I also really miss UA's blue tulip livery. One of the best liveries they had, to my eyes at least. It shows that classic, modern and fresh needn't be mutually exclusive. Such a shame that the tulip is gone now.

Also agree.

I'm also going to give a shout out to Chicago Express' livery, which looked awesome with the Chicago skyline graphic and ATA's blue and gold:

I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

BalkanBoy

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:57 pm

JBo wrote:
I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole of the current AA livery, but I am going to give a shout out to the old American Eagle livery. I actually always kind of liked it more than the mainline livery, because the clean white and boldness of the stripes on the smaller fuselages really made it stand out.

I also always loved the unique "Eagle" script in the logo:

While I'm not a fan of the old bare metal American livery, the American Eagle livery was probably the best livery a regional jet could have. The ERJ-145 ROCKED that paint like it was made for it. I would have loved to see the E175 in that livery.

fallap

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I miss the previous livery of Finnair.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

JBo

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:18 pm

BalkanBoy wrote:
While I'm not a fan of the old bare metal American livery, the American Eagle livery was probably the best livery a regional jet could have. The ERJ-145 ROCKED that paint like it was made for it. I would have loved to see the E175 in that livery.

I always liked how the early generation regional liveries were "similar but different" to their mainline counterparts — Eagle was painted white instead of silver and had a different logo on the tail; United Express also had a different tail logo, and the cheatline stripes fanned out near the tail; NW Airlink painted the whole aircraft red instead of matching the bowling shoe livery (until they started operating regional jets); USAir Express also painted their aircraft white; Delta Connection displayed the operator logo on the tail in place of the widget — it was a nice variety over having completely identical liveries to mainline, but with "Express" or "Airlink" added.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 pm

The ones Lufthansa and Air Canada used until the recent changes. I still dislike the new ones they use.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Asturias

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:54 pm

This is the Iberia livery I'd love to see!
Tonight we fly

seat1a

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:25 am

- Braniff International Flying Colors, the Braniff Ultra DC8s, and the Calder jets.
- Qantas of the 1970s with the 'orange' Qantas titles.
- Air New Zealand, especially on the DC10s
- Air Afrique

CarlosSi

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:53 am

1. American: when I was young, I wanted to fly for them so I could fly their silver jets. I'd always make their MD80 planes with duplo Legos (when I was 7 or 8). Definitely the most distinct livery there was at least in the 2000s for me. However it didn't always look pretty (the metal looked smudgy and less glass-like in some pics). I do like the new livery (minus the logo although it becomes easier to accept it the longer one goes). It was the airline industry's golden arches to me.

2. Midwest: never actually flew with them, never actually spotted a live aircraft of Midwest! But dark blue and gold are quite a combo, and looked extravagant on their 717s.

Not many others; never was too exposed to aviation until I got older, I was only ever AAttached to the double As and scissor eagle.

pg89

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:52 am

I used to like the old AA shiny metal livery a lot until they burned out my eyes with super glare on a sunny day at LHR. The new AA livery is clean, but I wouldn't give it my unconditional love.

Among other liveries, the old AI and IC liveries were acceptable - far more so than today's hybrid AI rust-toned concoction.

I really miss the Dragon Air livery - the red dragon on the tail was such a piece of work! The switch to the vague Cathay swoosh now is a bit sad.

I'm not a huge fan of the updated LH livery. The blue-yellow theme was so iconic. Classic case of trying to fix what wasn't broken. Thankfully they kept the changes subtle enough to not cause an outrage.

Qantas' old livery was way better than the new, uselessly accented one. It adds on value to the identity whatsoever.

I'll miss the Mexicana livery too - such a nice, inspired design!

Among newer liveries, I love Fiji Airways - so distinctive and fresh, and a hugely welcome change from the insipid Air Pacific livery of yore; JAL's new retro livery; the current TAP scheme; and the new LATAM livery (such a massive improvement over both LAN and TAM!).

steveinbc

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:45 am

I loved the BMI livery with the blues and fade through British flag. Also BOAC was stunning especially on a VC10. I liked the old Continental with the gold and red. Today I think the new Air Canada colors look great as do the newish Aerolinas Argentinas
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72