flybynight
Topic Author

Thoughts on AS Premium Economy

Wed May 23, 2018 5:33 pm

I post a lot about AS since I fly them to the tune of Gold most years (sometimes MVP).

Usually AS has great customer service and I love flying them.

But I got to say the Premium Economy is lacking. Yesterday flying back from Sky Harbor I was wondering why the F/A was waving a small package of trail mix and a fig bar in front of me. Well it turns out the "box" that AS used give out (strange mix of stuff - that fig bar some gummy bears and a couple of other small things) is gone (at least on this flight). I didn't even get both. The F/A seemed apologetic about it. I don't think he liked it either based on his embarrassed smile.
Certainly not a big deal, but AS, please don't start diluting the experience of flying with you. Obviously not a big deal (just waiting for the a-holes that always come on here and say "buy First Class then"), but that was pretty cheesy for "premium" class.

I start to worry that AS is going the direction of the other domestic airlines and make it all about the cheapest experience possible. Sorry AS, mood lighting is fine, but not enough to make for a pleasurable flight, especially if you pay $30 for the Premium (if not a lot more).
Heia Norge!

Pi7472000

Re: Thoughts on AS Premium Economy

Wed May 23, 2018 5:51 pm

That service sounds really lacking compared to Delta and Virgin America! It is too bad to read about the poor experience as Virgin America had great service in premium economy. I would hope Alaska would have learned from Virgin America and taken their best parts and used them to improve Alaska. It seems the opposite has happened. Thanks for the report as I will stick to flying United or Delta for premium travel and service.

QXAS

Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 pm

I experienced the exact same thing on a flight from Sky Harbor. It was my first and only flight in premium because after stepping off of it I determined that it wasn’t worth whatever I had paid for it. The snack box was something that made it worth it when it was first introduced and to see that gone I was very disappointed. A couple inches of legroom isn’t worth $49 when you’re getting the exact same service, especially on a 2.5 hour flight like PHX-SEA. Now if I’m spending 6 hours on the plane flying to MIA or OGG I’d probably be willing to upgrade for the extra space.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Hopefully you guys give them the feedback. May not help but it couldn’t hurt either.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

EA CO AS

Wed May 23, 2018 6:41 pm

The feedback is exactly what resulted in the box being removed in favor of packaged bulk snacks; people complained the box didn't have enough in it, was hard to open, contributed to waste, etc. Of course another reason is the snack was always just a "nice to have" item above and beyond the complimentary snacks served in the main cabin, while the main selling points of Premium Class are:

o 35" pitch
o Early boarding
o Complimentary alcoholic beverages

Some will find it worth it, others may not.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 23, 2018 6:49 pm

What did VX serve it’s MCS guests?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

seat1a

Wed May 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Couple of thoughts ... Wish the section had another row or two. Like the legroom and friendly crews. The chocolates are a nice touch to MVP Golds and above, in addition to the free drinks. But the snack box is too small, despite some nice packaging. Snack contents are kinda childish, too. How about a premium snack choice for free? Don't get me started on what needs to be done with AS first class. Jees.

TransWorldOne

Wed May 23, 2018 6:59 pm

It always surprises me how excited people get for prepackaged junk food on a two hour flight.

FirstBizFlyer

Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

VX served unlimited snacks and beverages in their MCS cabin. Downside to that was, most people would order enough for a week, shove the stuff in their bags and not leave enough inventory for main cabin to purchase.

jonair8

Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 pm

After AS’s Premium class snack box went the way of the dodo, it seemed as though AS was also set on cutting down provisions elsewhere. (IE no biscoffs unless requested, and cutting the number of cheese plates on board) AS still offers a free alcoholic drink (or chocolate in lieu) so at least it still has a little something more to offer than Economy Plus on UA. Wish they could still enhance it by having dedicated bin space, offering free movie players, and a wider variety of snacks. As it stands right now, I would not say it’s worth the extra money.

FirstBizFlyer

Wed May 23, 2018 7:05 pm

flybynight wrote:
I post a lot about AS since I fly them to the tune of Gold most years (sometimes MVP).

I hope you contact them and let them know your thoughts. They rely on frequent flyers like you to decide on what tweaks they will make.

seat1a

Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Couple of thoughts ... Wish the section had another row or two. Like the legroom and friendly crews. The chocolates are a nice touch to MVP Golds and above, in addition to the free drinks. But the snack box is too small, despite some nice packaging. Snack contents are kinda childish, too. How about a premium snack choice for free? Don't get me started on what needs to be done with AS first class. Jees.

AirCalSNA

Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
It always surprises me how excited people get for prepackaged junk food on a two hour flight.

I find that odd as well ... especially if they are still serving free booze.

wingman

Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 pm

I like it myself and in direct comparison to my primary carrier (UA) I think it provides a lot of value. From random comparisons over the past year it seems like the upgrade fee is about 50% of what UA charges for PE upgrades. I don't think UA offers free booze in PE either but I don't drink on planes anymore so not 100% sure. And ultimately, to get to "seat selection" status on UA you have to make Gold and that's 50K mile + $6000 in spend. You can get PE being Silver for 25K and $3K but half the time you end up in the middle seat so why not just stab yourself with a rusty knife instead?

Factoring in cost and crews that don't generally project a visceral hatred of their customers, I'd say AS PE is a great value. I'd blow $6K on them every year but their only flight from ORD to PDX is at 5 PM and my meetings never get out till 4, so even though I swore to myself I'd never fly UA after they beat the shit out that guy..there I go booking another flight on UA. I have to admit though that things have improved since I stopped making eye contact with FAs and just nod vigorously any time I think they're saying something to me. Quiet as a mouse, face the window, Kindle on and always, always bring my own food. UA is getting better!

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 pm

FirstBizFlyer wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

VX served unlimited snacks and beverages in their MCS cabin. Downside to that was, most people would order enough for a week, shove the stuff in their bags and not leave enough inventory for main cabin to purchase.

I guess I mean what were the snacks? Chips and the like? Fruit Plate and the like? I honestly don't know.
-Dave

FirstBizFlyer

Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
FirstBizFlyer wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I guess I mean what were the snacks? Chips and the like? Fruit Plate and the like? I honestly don't know.

Depending on the length of flight. Short flights were snack boxes, chips, cookies, basically crap. Longer flights were those things, plus cheese plates, sandwiches, salads....

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 23, 2018 8:22 pm

FirstBizFlyer wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
FirstBizFlyer wrote:

Depending on the length of flight. Short flights were snack boxes, chips, cookies, basically crap. Longer flights were those things, plus cheese plates, sandwiches, salads....

Thanks. Sounds like a good selection.
-Dave

32andBelow

Wed May 23, 2018 8:28 pm

They getting rid of real food on as flights. It really is going downhill

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Hopefully you guys give them the feedback. May not help but it couldn’t hurt either.

I did on the app as well as publicly on Twitter
Heia Norge!

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 pm

32andBelow wrote:

I can't verify that, but if so that is very unlike the AS I know
Heia Norge!

FirstBizFlyer

Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm

flybynight wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

AS is putting their efforts into improving the First experience, by offering two meal options instead of one, and using VX menus for the meals. I know nothing about where they make most of their money, so I can't say if it's worth improving First to the detriment of the back of the plane. But AS is all about costs, and they can't improve one area without taking away from another area.

seabosdca

Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 pm

I just wish that every seat bookable as Premium would actually be Premium. Some configurations have four rows, while others have five, and the airline seems a bit confused over which is which. I've now found myself in row 10 twice, having received an "upgrade" to Premium, but without either Premium legroom or Premium goodies. I didn't really care because it was free, but if I had paid for the "upgrade" I would have been rather upset.

For me, the value isn't there in paying for it. A BOB item + a drink is cheaper than the upgrade, and with my all-torso body shoulder room matters a lot more than legroom.

usxguy

Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 pm

I think Alaska wanted to do something to make "premium" a bit better than American/United. They are now boarding PE with MVPs, which is nice.

The unlimited booze factor isn't really marketed, but you can get as much as you want in PE. I agree that I wish there was either something offered in addition to the trail mix or fig bar - such as a snack box or something.
xx

Chugach

Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 pm

QXAS wrote:
I experienced the exact same thing on a flight from Sky Harbor. It was my first and only flight in premium because after stepping off of it I determined that it wasn’t worth whatever I had paid for it. The snack box was something that made it worth it when it was first introduced and to see that gone I was very disappointed. A couple inches of legroom isn’t worth $49 when you’re getting the exact same service, especially on a 2.5 hour flight like PHX-SEA. Now if I’m spending 6 hours on the plane flying to MIA or OGG I’d probably be willing to upgrade for the extra space.

Premium Class is a perk for Golds/75k passengers as much as anything else. As one of those aforementioned passengers, it’s nice to book the extra legroom at booking for no charge. I get free drinks regardless of where I sit on the plane and the snack, small as it is, is better than a punch in the nose.

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 23, 2018 9:29 pm

FirstBizFlyer wrote:
But AS is all about costs, and they can't improve one area without taking away from another area.

Alaska is all about making money. Costs is one part. Revenue is another. They can add value to First without that impacting the other cabins provided the net effect is more profit.

Not saying that’s happening, and there is evidence that their costs are a concern, but I’d imagine that if increasing their onboard food costs 3% resulted in their revenues increasing 5%, they’d do it.
-Dave

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 9:46 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
The feedback is exactly what resulted in the box being removed in favor of packaged bulk snacks; people complained the box didn't have enough in it, was hard to open, contributed to waste, etc. Of course another reason is the snack was always just a "nice to have" item above and beyond the complimentary snacks served in the main cabin, while the main selling points of Premium Class are:

o 35" pitch
o Early boarding
o Complimentary alcoholic beverages

Some will find it worth it, others may not.

Hmm, to me it sounds like cost cutting. If people complained it wasn't enough, reducing the amount even further doesn' make much sense at all. No, AS, it is cutting costs.

So currently the situation - main cabin gets a bisquit. Premium gets an equal-sized fig bar or trail mix. So really no difference from a food perspective.
I've also noticed the cabin running out of the cheese plates a lot sooner lately.

Sorry, but this is getting less premium which I am not used to on AS.

I will defend AS when appropriate, but not this time.
Heia Norge!

seabosdca

Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 pm

flybynight wrote:
I've also noticed the cabin running out of the cheese plates a lot sooner lately.

Seconded. I've been flying AS a lot lately, and it seems like these days the only people with fruit/cheese plate access are those sitting in Premium and roughly the elite/full fare part of the economy cabin (rows 17 and up). At $7.50 each the stinginess seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Are they really so heavy that the cost to carry more of them would outweigh the revenue generated?

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 pm

usxguy wrote:
I think Alaska wanted to do something to make "premium" a bit better than American/United. They are now boarding PE with MVPs, which is nice.

The unlimited booze factor isn't really marketed, but you can get as much as you want in PE. I agree that I wish there was either something offered in addition to the trail mix or fig bar - such as a snack box or something.

Is it unlimited in Premium? Not really from my experience. On a 2 - 3 hour flight the cart will come twice. So that is two potential drinks. There isn't a dedicated FA taking care of Premium (not that I would expect that).

Overall my beef with AS is the reduction of value for Premium.
Heia Norge!

WkndWanderer

Wed May 23, 2018 9:53 pm

flybynight wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

They aren't getting rid of "real food." They are transitioning away from hot meals in economy because Virgin unfortunately did not choose to equip their Airbus fleet with ovens in the economy galley (among other things), so the future economy food menu will look more like pre-merger Virgin's with items that will not need to be heated in the oven since a good chunk of the fleet won't have them.

WkndWanderer

Wed May 23, 2018 10:01 pm

flybynight wrote:
usxguy wrote:

Is it unlimited in Premium? Not really from my experience. On a 2 - 3 hour flight the cart will come twice. So that is two potential drinks. There isn't a dedicated FA taking care of Premium (not that I would expect that).

You can effectively get unlimited free drinks in Premium Economy. A lot of people order more than one drink at a time on the first cart go around and if you press your call button and ask for another they'll almost certainly do it as long as they aren't already in the middle of a cart service. Often times, they'll have leftover wine in opened bottles when they're done with the service and they'll walk through the PE section to give out top offs or offer up wine to finish off the bottles. I think that when PE was first rolled out, it was technically advertised as two complimentary alcoholic drinks, but I'm not sure if that was ever really enforced and the website now just states that PE includes "a wide selection of liquor, beer, and wine free of charge."

The snack box was a neat idea, but as others have mentioned the packaging was excessive, the contents did somewhat resemble a child's snack being fruit gummies and a fig newton, and the contents were never really rotated out or mixed up so it always seemed to be the fig bar/ gummy combo which became tiresome for some regular fliers. I think it would probably be a better idea if they presented a basket with selections though like some carriers do on their short haul or evening first class flights.

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
flybynight wrote:
usxguy wrote:

You can effectively get unlimited free drinks in Premium Economy. A lot of people order more than one drink at a time on the first cart go around and if you press your call button and ask for another they'll almost certainly do it as long as they aren't already in the middle of a cart service. Often times, they'll have leftover wine in opened bottles when they're done with the service and they'll walk through the PE section to give out top offs or offer up wine to finish off the bottles. I think that when PE was first rolled out, it was technically advertised as two complimentary alcoholic drinks, but I'm not sure if that was ever really enforced and the website now just states that PE includes "a wide selection of liquor, beer, and wine free of charge."

The snack box was a neat idea, but as others have mentioned the packaging was excessive, the contents did somewhat resemble a child's snack being fruit gummies and a fig newton, and the contents were never really rotated out or mixed up so it always seemed to be the fig bar/ gummy combo which became tiresome for some regular fliers. I think it would probably be a better idea if they presented a basket with selections though like some carriers do on their short haul or evening first class flights.

A basket would seem ideal from a messaging perspective. Things evolve - maybe that’ll happen.
-Dave

jonair8

Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 pm

AS actually used to have a very nice F snack basket. The items in it were frequently on a rotation, and included but were not limited to: mini Toblerone, Milano cookies, a few types of almonds, bagged popcorn, and some sort of puffed corn chip. It would've been nicer if they just moved that basket to Premium class, include the trail mix and fig bars in it too, and keep F the same as it is now with its meals. Even DL offers more variety in basic Y than AS does in Premium. Not everyone is into alcoholic beverages.

wedgetail737

Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 pm

I typically upgrade my reservation to Premium Economy, especially row 6. I'm pretty much in it for the additional legroom. Yes...the 4 additional inches does make a difference for me. I don't if it's true, but it seems like I get upgrades to 1st class more often when I'm in Premium.

gmcc

Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 pm

seabosdca wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Seconded. I've been flying AS a lot lately, and it seems like these days the only people with fruit/cheese plate access are those sitting in Premium and roughly the elite/full fare part of the economy cabin (rows 17 and up). At $7.50 each the stinginess seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Are they really so heavy that the cost to carry more of them would outweigh the revenue generated?

I have found that the best way to secure a fruit and cheese plate is to pre order it with the app. One time I was on a SNA/PDX flight that only got 4 fruit and cheese platters catered but I got mine back in row 22 because I pre ordered it.

FlightLevel360

Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 pm

Alaska has only gotten more cheaper ever since the merger. It is well on the track to becoming the next ULCC.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 11:50 pm

jonair8 wrote:
AS actually used to have a very nice F snack basket. The items in it were frequently on a rotation, and included but were not limited to: mini Toblerone, Milano cookies, a few types of almonds, bagged popcorn, and some sort of puffed corn chip. It would've been nicer if they just moved that basket to Premium class, include the trail mix and fig bars in it too, and keep F the same as it is now with its meals. Even DL offers more variety in basic Y than AS does in Premium. Not everyone is into alcoholic beverages.

Exactly!! Hello, AS, listen up. I admit, I like my drinks. But that doesn't offer much to my teenage daugthers or other kids under 21.

I love the idea of basket of goodies to pick from. Go through the cabin twice and allow us to pick something up.

Airlines and their never-ending mission to cost cut at the expense of the consumer. It is tiring to see flying truly become the Grayhound of the skies.

Baggage fees, removal of pillows and blankets, less pitch, less width, slim seats, pay-meals (if any meal offering), higher change fees...not much good going on as a consumer.Having "status" with AS helps with some of this, but it is far from perfect.
Heia Norge!

wedgetail737

Thu May 24, 2018 2:50 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:
Alaska has only gotten more cheaper ever since the merger. It is well on the track to becoming the next ULCC.

Hardly. If you've flown F9, NK or G4...you should know better.

wedgetail737

Thu May 24, 2018 2:52 am

flybynight wrote:
jonair8 wrote:

Exactly!! Hello, AS, listen up. I admit, I like my drinks. But that doesn't offer much to my teenage daugthers or other kids under 21.

I love the idea of basket of goodies to pick from. Go through the cabin twice and allow us to pick something up.

Airlines and their never-ending mission to cost cut at the expense of the consumer. It is tiring to see flying truly become the Grayhound of the skies.

Baggage fees, removal of pillows and blankets, less pitch, less width, slim seats, pay-meals (if any meal offering), higher change fees...not much good going on as a consumer.Having "status" with AS helps with some of this, but it is far from perfect.

Put your comments on the Alaska Airlines Facebook page.

admanager

Thu May 24, 2018 2:54 am

WkndWanderer wrote:
flybynight wrote:
usxguy wrote:

I do CHS - SEA on AS a good bit. It's always been made VERY clear to me it's 1 drink on each pass of the cart. While that's 3 passes, I've never seen top ups. Of course this is the same Alaska that puts a limit on drinks from the bar in the Boardroom.
What is good is the slot on the seatback in front of you where you can fit your Kindle cover in and not have to put the tray down or balance it on your lap.

usxguy

Thu May 24, 2018 3:12 am

I think all domestic lounges cap you at 3 per visit...
xx

bpat777

Thu May 24, 2018 4:43 am

AirCalSNA wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

I find that odd as well ... especially if they are still serving free booze.

Yea, free alcohol wld get my money too, although I do know many people who don't drink. I guess some passengers prefer the free sugar/salt.

KentB27

Thu May 24, 2018 5:26 am

TransWorldOne wrote:

It's amazing what boredom will do to people. People eat on flights to entertain themselves.

WkndWanderer

Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 am

admanager wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:
flybynight wrote:

I do CHS - SEA on AS a good bit. It's always been made VERY clear to me it's 1 drink on each pass of the cart. While that's 3 passes, I've never seen top ups. Of course this is the same Alaska that puts a limit on drinks from the bar in the Boardroom.
What is good is the slot on the seatback in front of you where you can fit your Kindle cover in and not have to put the tray down or balance it on your lap.

Isn't CHS-SEA primarily flown on the -700? Those haven't even been refitted with a premium class, and still have an old cabin, are they trying to do some sort of quasi-premium class service in the first few rows now even though those planes don't have it? I've only flown on -700's to Alaska since premium came out and they certainly weren't doing it then. I almost always order more than one drink, sometimes with a water to go along with them on the first cart round on flights longer than two hours in premium and have something lke three to four dozen Alaska flights under my belt in the last 18 months. In the last two months, I've seen my seatmates order two Dewar's at once on SEA-PHX, and on KOA-SEA the couple next to me each ordered two bloody Mary's and two red wines on the first pass. It's probably highly dependent on your flight crews and your own interactions with them, unfortunately there are some FA's who struggle with the "be remarkable" part, but more often than not I find they're pretty sensible about using their own judgment to create a good experience.
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

WkndWanderer

Thu May 24, 2018 7:00 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:

Hardly. If you've flown F9, NK or G4...you should know better.

Shoot, or even the other mainline carriers like AA and UA half the time with the Russian roulette wheel of experiences they're struggling to make consistent, much less the ULCC's.

flybynight
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
flybynight wrote:
jonair8 wrote:

Put your comments on the Alaska Airlines Facebook page.

I sent a tweet (which was responded to extremely quickly) and I gave AS feedback through my mobile app as well.

I really do think AS will see this as a mistake and reinstate better food service for Premium....or I hope they will.
Heia Norge!

admanager

Wed May 30, 2018 1:35 am

WkndWanderer wrote:
admanager wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:

Isn't CHS-SEA primarily flown on the -700? Those haven't even been refitted with a premium class, and still have an old cabin, are they trying to do some sort of quasi-premium class service in the first few rows now even though those planes don't have it? I've only flown on -700's to Alaska since premium came out and they certainly weren't doing it then.

Monday was a -700, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be the -900. I've had the -800 too. Only 5 trips per week.

DesertAir

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:22 pm

I flew on AS in Premium Economy from LAX to GDL in December. I appreciated early boarding for overhead bin space, the extra leg room, the snack box and a burrito.