Utah744

Re: Fatal Incident Where Plane Returned to Service

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:27 pm

rikkus67 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_797 ...scroll down to the "Aftermath" paragraph.

When I would fly that aircraft I'd always tell the FAs this story and always got wide open eyeballs. Made my day.
You are never too old to learn something stupid

747WanSui

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:29 pm

The practice of retiring flight numbers of crashed flights is far from universal - Air China still uses Flight 129 for its PEK-PUS route despite its 2002 crash.
Long live the Boeing 747!

stlgph

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:40 pm

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

NameOmitted

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:50 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Iirc, there was a Philippine BAC111 that had a bomb go off in the toilet TWICE.

Brought back into service each time.

And this, right here, is the reason that an aircraft that can be economically placed back into service must be.

If a relatively minor act of terrorism could condemn a $60 million piece of hardware, you've just increased the economic value of terrorism my much harder to detect weapons. Do this a dozen times or so, and an entire industry becomes practically uninsurable.

richierich

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:16 pm

This is the most bizarre thread I have read in some time...honestly, where does the limit of superstition end?

Aircraft are assets, nothing more nothing less. People on here may profess their love of aircraft for one reason or another, but to airlines they are assets that need to fly to bring in revenue. Very rarely do airlines make decisions based on emotions, which is not to say they are all heartless entities but they need to make shrewd business decisions.

Only Southwest knows exactly the cost of the repairs (less insurance premiums) and the amortized value of that airframe and engines. I would have to assume that this plane will be back in service soon - I would be shocked if they retired this airframe unless there was much more damage than original thought. There is a chance they might change the registration, much like DL with their 1996 MD-80 incident in PNS, but other than that this plane could well be serving you on your next WN flight. The incident was highly tragic and unfortunate, and it's not like it will be commemorated on the aircraft in any way. I'm sure all cabin fittings around the fatal seat will be changed too, as well as the seats themselves of course - this is all part of the 'repair' process. Life goes on.
None shall pass!!!!

falstaff

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 pm

727LOVER wrote:
I was thinking about that one too....but that aircraft did not have any massive structural damage. That aircraft actually flew TWA's last Boeing 727 flight.

The Navy diver's name was Robert Stethem

I have a video of TWA's last 727 flight. It was a professionally made video for TWA. The video has a tribute to Robert Stethem on it. I don't know if the video was made available to the general public, I got it from a TW employee.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

727LOVER

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:52 pm

falstaff wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
I was thinking about that one too....but that aircraft did not have any massive structural damage. That aircraft actually flew TWA's last Boeing 727 flight.

The Navy diver's name was Robert Stethem

I have a video of TWA's last 727 flight. It was a professionally made video for TWA. The video has a tribute to Robert Stethem on it. I don't know if the video was made available to the general public, I got it from a TW employee.

This one ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydfsPlNIMw0
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

727LOVER

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:53 pm

klm617 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_Flight_181

Not sure how that fits into this thread....unless I read wrong.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

smittythepirate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:06 pm

727LOVER wrote:
klm617 wrote:

The pilot was killed by hijackers, the aircraft was damaged during fighting but repaired and returned to service
www.jbweather.com

F27500

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:09 pm

jkd4855 wrote:
One would think that if an accident involved fatalities, the airline would remove that aircraft from service out of respect for the victims and their families

following your logic then... a road where someone died in a car accident should be closed off permenently.. a hospital should be closed and never used again after someone dies in it... a building or bridge someone committed suicide off the roof of shoukd be torn down.

out of respect? ...see my point ??

crownvic

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 pm

American 767 wrote:
alggag wrote:
WN put the plane that killed a boy on the ground in the MDW overrun back in service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest ... light_1248

And what about the one that made an emergency landing in PHL two months ago? Did it return to service or it was damaged beyond economical repair?

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR JOKING...RIGHT??? 19 YEARS ON A.NET?????

727LOVER

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm

smittythepirate wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
klm617 wrote:

The pilot was killed by hijackers, the aircraft was damaged during fighting but repaired and returned to service

:checkmark: :checkmark: OK thanx

ER757

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm

the first one that popped into my mind was the AQ 737 that had part of the top of the fuselage tear away in flight. It was eventually repaired and returned to service. I recall seeing it in HNL and the paint on the new section was a lighter shade than rest of the fuselage

marktci

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm

jkd4855 wrote:
One would think that if an accident involved fatalities, the airline would remove that aircraft from service out of respect for the victims and their families

I'd be curious if you believe this absolutely. Like if a brand new A380 were to have an uncontained engine failure similar to the Southwest flight and it resulted in the death of one passenger seated in the window seat closest to the engine. Would you have the airline remove that plane from service (and presumably scrap it because to sell it to some other airline to use would be similarly disrespectful)?

OA940

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 pm

727LOVER wrote:

I can't remember the flight # or route. But I do remember it was 1986. A bomb went off and sucked out 4 people. That pilot lived in my home town, and my mom met him.

TWA 840. Flying ATH-CAI, over argos a bomb exploded. April 2nd, 1986. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_840_bombing
A350/CSeries = bae

spacecadet

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:02 pm

JA786A wrote:
JA8966 went on flying for 15 years after it was hijacked in 1999 on ANA flight 61, when the hijacker killed the captain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Nippon_Airways_Flight_61

This plane came pretty close to crashing that day - in the struggle between the hijacker and the pilots, the plane dropped to below 1,000 feet over Tokyo Bay before the first officer recovered it. I actually saw this plane undergoing a C check on the ANA maintenance facility tour the year before it was retired. I didn't even realize it at the time until I looked up the registrations of the planes I had seen later.

compensateme wrote:
There are literally tens of thousands of cars on the road today that are reconstructed from salvaged portions of automobiles that were in fatal accidents. Insurance companies don’t care, neither do the people buying them.

That's not entirely true. Whether a car has been in an accident of any kind is one of the first things you look for as a used car buyer, because it can affect structural integrity. Cars that are "salvaged" (your word) even get their own title and have to operate under different rules. And yes, insurance companies do charge more both for cars that have had accidents and for cars with salvage titles.

But no, that doesn't mean airlines shouldn't fix airliners and keep flying them.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

richierich

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:05 pm

ER757 wrote:
the first one that popped into my mind was the AQ 737 that had part of the top of the fuselage tear away in flight. It was eventually repaired and returned to service. I recall seeing it in HNL and the paint on the new section was a lighter shade than rest of the fuselage

You're kidding me, right? What the heck is going on with this thread?

A quick Google search - I'll give you 90 seconds - and you could easily see where it is stated that plane was a total loss. It left Maui in more pieces than it arrived in. Period.
This plane is not relevant to this already irrelevant thread.
None shall pass!!!!

Ionosphere

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 pm

August 11, 1982: Pan Am 830 NRT-HNL, 1 killed & 16 injured by a bomb

Spacepope

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 pm

jkd4855 wrote:
Lootess wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

They can't just throw away an entire airplane because there was a fatality on board. Airlines can't afford to be wasteful like that. I don't believe the general public would be outraged or upset to know the aircraft will continue to go back in service, and I'm willing to bet many people expect that.

It would be odd if they just changed the registration just a months after, immediately fix it, and put it back in the air. This isn't some scrappy airline with just a few jets.

That 737-700 is 17 years old, and of course WN is a high-cycle airline so it doesn't have a whole lot of time likely either.

I have to agree with you there

Around 64000 hours and 37000 cycles as of early May.
The last of the famous international playboys

CairnterriAIR

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:06 pm

ER757 wrote:

No...that aircraft was a loss and never flew again. I was actually in Maui at the airport when the scrappers were breaking that 737 up...August of 1988.

jkd4855

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 pm

F27500 wrote:
jkd4855 wrote:

following your logic then... a road where someone died in a car accident should be closed off permenently.. a hospital should be closed and never used again after someone dies in it... a building or bridge someone committed suicide off the roof of shoukd be torn down.

A hospital is a place where death is an extremely common occurrence, an aircraft is not

bluejuice

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Ozark Air Lines 650 is a very unusual accident that comes to mind. The fatality from the incident was the operator of a snowplow that was struck by the DC-9. There were no passenger causalities and minor injuries to two of the cabin crew. The repaired plane used the right wing from Air Canada 797. 23 people died on that flight due to an inflight fire in a lavatory. The pilots landed the plane at CVG but the damage was severe enough the plane was written off. The Ozark DC-9 was retired in 2006 wearing Northwest colors.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

N766UA

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:35 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Ok, thanks. Is it known if the airline changed anything on the plane, marked it in any way to honor the event or no?

To honor an exploded engine?

Super80Fan

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:05 am

Virtual737 wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Ok, thanks. Is it known if the airline changed anything on the plane, marked it in any way to honor the event or no?

I'm just trying to imagine the reaction of the next passenger when they see a newly installed plaque on their tray table with words to the effect "In memory of John Doe who sat here on 3rd December 1996 when a sharp-beaked Pterodactyl pierced the adjacent window and consequently sucked John through engine #2.".

Not so sure it would be a good idea.

Thanks, you made my night.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

compensateme

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:23 am

spacecadet wrote:
That's not entirely true. Whether a car has been in an accident of any kind is one of the first things you look for as a used car buyer, because it can affect structural integrity. Cars that are "salvaged" (your word) even get their own title and have to operate under different rules. And yes, insurance companies do charge more both for cars that have had accidents and for cars with salvage titles.

But no, that doesn't mean airlines shouldn't fix airliners and keep flying them.

That's not quite correct. If somebody commits suicide or is murdered in their vehicle, once it is released from the police, the insurance company totals it ("bio hazard"), issues a salvage title and sells it as-is (re: not cleaned up) at auction. The cars are purchased for cheap, cleaned up, inspected, issued rebuilt titles then sold -- and there's literally thousands of these cars on the road; because they're sold at such a huge discount, potential owners don't care.

Beyond that, every single car involved in an accident -- regardless of how severe -- is sold by its insurance company at auction, where buyers then harvest it for parts and scrap. These parts eventually make there way onto hundreds of thousands of cars on our roads. It's just business.
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

n471wn

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:39 am

We know that SWA employees are reading these threads and please get this aircraft back in service ASAP and ignore some of the comments by novices. This was an engine problem and not a fuselage problem and the engine has been replaced so end of story.

flyingclrs727

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:15 am

spacecadet wrote:
JA786A wrote:
JA8966 went on flying for 15 years after it was hijacked in 1999 on ANA flight 61, when the hijacker killed the captain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Nippon_Airways_Flight_61

This plane came pretty close to crashing that day - in the struggle between the hijacker and the pilots, the plane dropped to below 1,000 feet over Tokyo Bay before the first officer recovered it. I actually saw this plane undergoing a C check on the ANA maintenance facility tour the year before it was retired. I didn't even realize it at the time until I looked up the registrations of the planes I had seen later.

compensateme wrote:
There are literally tens of thousands of cars on the road today that are reconstructed from salvaged portions of automobiles that were in fatal accidents. Insurance companies don’t care, neither do the people buying them.

Commercial airliners aren't cars. They are flown by professional pilots that have very rigorous training, and are maintained by licensed aircraft mechanics. Every replacement part has to be FAA certified. Rigorous records have to be kept about the maintenance history of the aircraft. Used parts must be have rigorous documentation. They don't use bondo to cover up evidence of collisions. If a part of the fuselage is damaged, the damaged parts are replaced to FAA standards. Its mainly a matter of money. If the cost of repairing an aircraft is too expensive given the age, hours, cycles and severity of the damage to repair a plane to airworthy status, the aircraft is normally scrapped.

compensateme

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:44 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Commercial airliners aren't cars.

:sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

Responding to a poster who thought the plane should be withdrawn from service out of respect for the victim's family, I used cars as an analogy, pointing out that there are thousands of autos on our roads that have been involved in fatal accidents, but were deemed fixable and placed back into service. You responded by making airplanes larger than life, saying "commercial airlines aren't cars." I think everybody's fully aware of that, but the same business concepts apply (re: insurance companies evaluating the damage and deciding whether the airplane or car should be fixed or auctioned for parts & scrap).

I write this merely because I'm tired of a.net making the aviation industry out to be larger-than-life when in fact, it's comprised primarily of for-profit businesses. I can write 'in the simplest of terms, profit = revenue - expenses,' and somebody won't be able to help themselves from reminding us 'that planes are different, and profit = widebodies + PTVS + free meals - regional jets - narrowbodies."
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

fishmeal

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:58 am

"Clipper Ocean Rover" (N754PA): on 11-Aug-1982 it was PA830 (Tokyo-Honolulu) when a bomb planted under a seat exploded, killing a 16-year-old boy. The explosive made a small hole in the fuselage: the plane was repaired and put back into service.

fishmeal

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:59 am

[0057517][/0057517]

flyingclrs727

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:43 am

compensateme wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Commercial airliners aren't cars.

:sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

Responding to a poster who thought the plane should be withdrawn from service out of respect for the victim's family, I used cars as an analogy, pointing out that there are thousands of autos on our roads that have been involved in fatal accidents, but were deemed fixable and placed back into service. You responded by making airplanes larger than life, saying "commercial airlines aren't cars." I think everybody's fully aware of that, but the same business concepts apply (re: insurance companies evaluating the damage and deciding whether the airplane or car should be fixed or auctioned for parts & scrap).

I write this merely because I'm tired of a.net making the aviation industry out to be larger-than-life when in fact, it's comprised primarily of for-profit businesses. I can write 'in the simplest of terms, profit = revenue - expenses,' and somebody won't be able to help themselves from reminding us 'that planes are different, and profit = widebodies + PTVS + free meals - regional jets - narrowbodies."

Cars are maintained to much lower standards. People miss oil changes and other important maintenance. Most cars have incomplete documentation of maintenance. Often major problems are only fixed when the car won't move or can barely move. That's why accident reports take such a hit on caused car values. They are some of the only independently verifiable pieces of information about used cars. Aircraft have much more documentation on their whole histories.

Draken21fx

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 am

jkd4855 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
jkd4855 wrote:

That makes no sense, take a train collision at a grade crossing with a car. If someone unfortunately passes from that they aren't going to remove the locomotive from service because of an accident.

The general public would not be riding on that locomotive every day though. Imagine if someone had to sit in the same seat as a person that was killed in an aircraft accident. There are still other ways for an airline to make money besides commercial passenger service.

With no disrespect but I guess you have never been to London on a Monday morning rush hour right?

If your proposal was the case half of the metro/tube/subway/trains around EU would have been scrapped by now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MHAk65S5I4bXgvqWKbFnKVhyEWVj9Y7jGBbaIoGgkSg/edit#gid=5

Only Germany as an example had around 900 suicides in 2011 and yes the general public rides the same train day in day out and sees the same faces on a daily basis and unfortunately there are chances that they might have seen someone taking his/her own life during their commuting years.

USAirKid

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:54 am

millionsofmiles wrote:
N656PA, the Pan Am 747-121 operating flight 73 the day of the Karachi hijacking in 1986, was returned to service with some very obviously patched bullet holes in the cabin interior.

Ummm really? Are there any pictures or citations for that? I've read elsewhere that PanAm patched up the airplane in Karachi in five days, but then ferried it to JFK. You'd think they'd replace all the panels, seats, etc that were damaged with spares, since pretty much every passenger viewable part is designed to be removed in a heavy check.

JA786A

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 am

spacecadet wrote:
JA786A wrote:

Yes, and I was feeling a bit strange when I flew with JA8966 in 2013. But of course I wouldn't have noticed that she was once hijacked if I hadn't known the registration.

tb727

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:15 pm

The Northwest 727 N278US was repaired and returned to service after the collision with the DC9 in DTW. It flew for 21 more years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Wayn ... _collision
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:04 pm

I am quite sure that the aircraft will be returned to service unless it was already on the list to be retired in the near future. Southwest would repair. Possibly redo the interior or other heavy maintenance if that was scheduled in the next few years, and repaint (and the current delay may just be that when it can be rotated in for heavy maintenance/interior work is "not right now"). Most likely the registration number will be changed. It is unlikely that the flight number will be reused anytime in the near future (perhaps in a decade or so).

As others have said: People die in houses, hospitals, hotels, and cars (and city parks) every day. All that happens is a cleanup, perhaps a refurbish for the worst cases, and things are almost always returned to service.

I have had conversations with people in the hotel industry; and most often the worst that happens is that the sheets and mattress gets replaced if a person dies in bed. If they collapse and die on the floor then things are cleaned up (and perhaps carpeting replaced for the worst cases). In many cases they return the room to service for the next night, and it is rare for a room to be out of service for more than 1 night for even bad situations (mattress changes and cleanup are part of a normal workday: re-carpeting of a single room is usually completed between 12 and 36 hours of the decision to do so as most hotels have a carpet vendor "on call"; and the larger hotels maintain a small stock of carpet in a storeroom).

Life goes on and the assets are reused: Be they aircraft, automobiles, city parks, hotel rooms, houses, public places, etc.

Only in the cases of very public massacres have buildings or assets really been retired from service (McDonald's tore down a restaurant, a few houses have been tore down, and I know of one very old small school building that was tore down a year before it's normally scheduled retirement).

Have a great day,

n729pa

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 pm

The Kuwait Airways 747 9K-AD.. Can't remember off hand which one it was. Hijacked BKK KWI circa 1990 and flown to Mashhad and around the Mediterranean. Several passengers shot during this time.

Not an airliner but the Sydney Seaplanes DHC2 that crashed back at the NewYear, had had previous form in a previous life some years earlier too

F27500

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:31 pm

jkd4855 wrote:
F27500 wrote:
jkd4855 wrote:

A hospital is a place where death is an extremely common occurrence, an aircraft is not

Then what about the other examples I gave? You ain't makin much sense, Jkd.

F27500

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:33 pm

USAirKid wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
N656PA, the Pan Am 747-121 operating flight 73 the day of the Karachi hijacking in 1986, was returned to service with some very obviously patched bullet holes in the cabin interior.

Ummm really? Are there any pictures or citations for that? I've read elsewhere that PanAm patched up the airplane in Karachi in five days, but then ferried it to JFK. You'd think they'd replace all the panels, seats, etc that were damaged with spares, since pretty much every passenger viewable part is designed to be removed in a heavy check.

Actually I did read that .. the book Flying In The Pool by Steve Priske (awesome read .. he;s a former PA purser) mentioned patched bullet holes visible after.

millionsofmiles

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:30 am

F27500 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

Actually I did read that .. the book Flying In The Pool by Steve Priske (awesome read .. he;s a former PA purser) mentioned patched bullet holes visible after.

Absolutely right, F27500. Pan. Am flight attendants of that era experienced it first-hand. When I moved to LA in early 1990, my roommate in Redondo Beach was a Pan Am flight attendant and he mentioned it a few fumes. He worked 656 a number of times and felt rhe patches sufficiently disturbing enough to mention it after his trips.

There was also some talk amongst TWA flight attendants that N64339, the aircraft that operated hijacked TWA 847 in 1985, also had some evidence of patched damage in the overhead bins. N64339 also operated TWA's last 727 service in September 2000.

rikkus67

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:19 am

fishmeal wrote:
[0057517][/0057517]

AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

USAirKid

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:43 am

millionsofmiles wrote:
F27500 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

Absolutely right, F27500. Pan. Am flight attendants of that era experienced it first-hand. When I moved to LA in early 1990, my roommate in Redondo Beach was a Pan Am flight attendant and he mentioned it a few fumes. He worked 656 a number of times and felt rhe patches sufficiently disturbing enough to mention it after his trips.

There was also some talk amongst TWA flight attendants that N64339, the aircraft that operated hijacked TWA 847 in 1985, also had some evidence of patched damage in the overhead bins. N64339 also operated TWA's last 727 service in September 2000.

Thats really tacky. Although I guess thats what you get with the lower service levels of deregulation.

727LOVER

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:36 pm

tb727 wrote:
The Northwest 727 N278US was repaired and returned to service after the collision with the DC9 in DTW. It flew for 21 more years.

Does that count, though?.....No one on the Boeing 727 died.

AirKevin

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pm

jkd4855 wrote:

If you get into a fatal accident where your car suffered only minor damage, do you replace your car out of respect for the victims and their families?
Captain Kevin

tb727

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 pm

727LOVER wrote:
tb727 wrote:

Does that count, though?.....No one on the Boeing 727 died.

Hmmmm, good point.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

grozzy

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 pm

I know nobody died on QF32, but if I ever find myself on "Nancy Bird" I would probably give it a quiet pat and "well done".
Both the plane and it's namesake have shown alot of character and spirit.