Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Flight attendant on AA flight insulting passengers

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 am

I recently had this experience with a particular flight attendant on American Airlines flight from Charlotte to London (CLT-LHR). It was so unusual that I wrote a complaint letter to AA. I am posting a part of the letter here, since it describes what happened pretty accurately:

I am writing to register a complaint with a flight attendant “Steve” (see my attempts to identify him below) on international flight AA 732 CLT-LHR on May 26.

After the airplane took off and the “Fasten seat belts” sign was off, I went to the back (where the flight attendants were) to ask for a cup of water. One of the flight attendants, which I later identified as “Steve”, told me rudely “we’ll start beverage service—wait for the cart”. He then turned to another flight attendant and said loudly “These people keep coming--we are trying to get something done here”. I have never received this kind of response on a flight before, and as I returned to my seat, the two women who were in the seats next to mine asked me “Was that man rude to you too?” One of them then said that she asked him for earphones, and he just threw them at her. The other woman received a response similar to mine when she asked for a drink.

Later, when I went down the aisle for stretching, flight attendant Steve yelled at me "where is your seat"? Once again, I have not seen flight attendants screaming at passengers before. Later, I stood in the back of the plane next to the bathrooms. Flight attendant Steve told me I needed to leave the area. I asked him if I could then stand in the aisle to stretch my legs. He said "you need to sit down when we are working". I asked if they are going to start working (distributing food or drinks) right now. He said yes. I specifically recorded the time and noted that food service did not start for another ~40 minutes. While I was still in the aisle, flight attendant Steve then told another flight attendant to "keep an eye on this guy" (I was hearing him, and he either did not care or was saying this with the express intent to insult).

I was sitting down for the remainder of the flight. Flight attendant Steve passed by my seat again during food service, sitting down trays and cups without saying or asking anything. Again, I discussed it with my neighbors, and we agreed that they haven’t seen this kind of behavior.

Finally, at the end of the flight, when we landed in London, I asked that flight attendant for his name. He was not wearing a badge for the duration of the flight. He said "Steve". When I politely asked him for his last name, he said in a threatening voice "that's all you're going to get. You need to get off MY plane".

I was not able to get the last name, but other flight attendants told me that you should be able to identify him with first name (Steve) and the flight information above. While perceptions can be subjective, in this case his behavior was beyond simply unprofessional—it seemed as if he was trying to insult on purpose. Finally, I should mention that the other flight attendants on that flight were behaving professionally and reasonably courteously. To reiterate, flight attendant Steve was not only extremely rude and insulting towards me, but other passengers as well—two of which were sitting next to me, and I personally spoke with them.

I thought I have been on quite a few flights in my life, but it's the first time I saw something like this. I mean, I have seen FAs make weird jokes, or forget about you (mostly on U.S. carriers). But this is something else. Has anybody else seen this "Steve" guy on a CLT-LHR flight? Also, is not wearing a badge and refusing to identify when asked a common behavior now for airline employees? If not, is there anything we can do when we observe it?

vhtje

Re: Flight attendant on AA flight insulting passengers

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:06 am

Not wishing to be rude or to denigrate your experience, but your motives of joining the airliners.net forum just to post this at best displays a gross misunderstanding of what airliners.net is about, or at worst is pure trolling.

You have a grievance with American Airlines, because the level of service you received from them failed to live up to your expectations. Fine, then the course of action you should take is to write to American Airlines customer relations and tell them about your experience. But after that you must give American Airlines a reasonable amount of time to respond and to redress the situation.

I do not think going into public forums in this manner and naming the person who offended you is particularly helpful and indeed is probably damaging to your cause.

I am not defending the guy's actions here. From your post, he sounds like a very nasty piece of work who should no longer be allowed anywhere near the flying public. What I am saying is that there is a proper way to go about seeking redress for this, and naming the person in a public forum is not it.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

AAairplane

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:06 am

I don't remember encountering this Steve guy, but I have witnessed very poor service on AA transatlantic flights operated by legacy US flight attendants on several occasions (from CLT and PHL on A330s). On one occasion, the flight attendant was very rude to my mother for no apparent reason over a simple misunderstanding to the point that my mother started crying, and on another, the flight attendant told a little girl that she was a "bad girl", and that she shouldn't have to serve her because she had kicked the crew rest seat a couple of times. Not sure why the service has been so poor by these senior LUS crews, as LAA and (presumably) less senior LUS crews have been much better (at least not actively rude) on the average.
DHC8, MD82/8, CR2/7/9, EMB135/45/70/75/90, B712, B733/4/8, B744, B752, B762/3/4, B77E, A306, A319, A320, A321, A332/3

rock45

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 am

i try many times AA flight but i am very dis pointed due to poor services of AA team they are very rude .

Blimpie

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:44 am

Odd, I thought I was on airliners.net, but I appear to either have found myself clicking on the link to Flyer's Talk or Flights From Hell dotcom
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

groundbird

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:45 am

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman.

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 pm

I doubt the flight attendant screamed at you. They may have been surly, or a little too direct. Maybe a little rude.

Either way, expect a generic apology letter in response to your complaint that probably wasn't even completely read. They don't really care that a snowflake, likely flying on a cheap economy fare, got their feathers ruffled over being told to sit down and wait a few minutes for water. You'll be back next time AA is the cheapest flight.

stlgph

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:42 pm

If you're a grown adult, stick up for yourself.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 pm

vhtje wrote:
Not wishing to be rude or to denigrate your experience, but your motives of joining the airliners.net forum just to post this at best displays a gross misunderstanding of what airliners.net is about, or at worst is pure trolling.

You have a grievance with American Airlines, because the level of service you received from them failed to live up to your expectations. Fine, then the course of action you should take is to write to American Airlines customer relations and tell them about your experience. But after that you must give American Airlines a reasonable amount of time to respond and to redress the situation.

I do not think going into public forums in this manner and naming the person who offended you is particularly helpful and indeed is probably damaging to your cause.

I am not defending the guy's actions here. From your post, he sounds like a very nasty piece of work who should no longer be allowed anywhere near the flying public. What I am saying is that there is a proper way to go about seeking redress for this, and naming the person in a public forum is not it.

I did write to American Airlines. They have an online complaint form with a 2000-character limit, so I had to break it down into two parts, which makes it unnecessarily complicated. I decided to sent them a paper letter by regular mail, since that seems to be the only way to get to them.

I am not "seeking redress" in a public forum, and indeed I don't see how a public forum can provide redress of any kind. If you read my post, I am sharing my experience, and asking if anyone else had a similar issue? Is this common to AA, or specific to that flight/route?

I am not sure why you would call it "trolling". Yes, I discovered airliners.net by an online search, and I have found several posts here that talk about in-flight issues and experiences with airline personnel (at the airports or during the flight).

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:44 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I doubt the flight attendant screamed at you. They may have been surly, or a little too direct. Maybe a little rude.

Either way, expect a generic apology letter in response to your complaint that probably wasn't even completely read. They don't really care that a snowflake, likely flying on a cheap economy fare, got their feathers ruffled over being told to sit down and wait a few minutes for water. You'll be back next time AA is the cheapest flight.

I haven't written complaints to airlines before, because I have not had this kind of issue in the past ("I've had flight delays, boarding problems, lost luggage--but everything was usually resolved reasonably). I did receive a generic reply to the online form I submitted.

They don't really care that a snowflake, likely flying on a cheap economy fare, got their feathers ruffled over being told to sit down and wait a few minutes for water.

It appears that you did not read my post. Waiting a few minutes for water, by itself, is not a big deal. However, the whole experience was way beyond getting "feathers ruffled". It seems to me that this particular flight attendant was trying to insult passengers on purpose. (Although perhaps he selected only a few "targets" in particular).

Incidentally, I flew on Iberia later during my trip, and also had to wait for water--but the FA politely explained that she had to get to a few other passengers first. It was a world of difference from AA. Maybe it's an issue with U.S. carriers in general--their airline personnel seems to be a lot less professional than at European airlines--and I'm not even going to get into the quality of food and drinks.

You'll be back next time AA is the cheapest flight.

Depending on whether it's AA-wide issue, or a one-off incident, I would not be. What do you mean by "cheapest flight"? Cheapest among all airlines, cheapest U.S. airline for international flights, or cheapest on that particular route?

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:46 pm

stlgph wrote:

Thanks, and how would you suggest "sticking up for yourself" in this situation?

vhtje

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:49 pm

LeVoyageur wrote:
and how would you suggest "sticking up for yourself" in this situation?

Nothing easier. During the flight, you should have asked Steve to please get the Cabin Services Director, as you would like to discuss the level of service you are receiving. You then discuss the situation calmly with the CSD and see what he/she does.

If Steve refused your request, then you go to another galley and approach another crew member and ask them to please fetch the CSD.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 pm

groundbird wrote:

I am sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope that you can overcome your gender issues and complexes.

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 am

vhtje wrote:
LeVoyageur wrote:
and how would you suggest "sticking up for yourself" in this situation?

Nothing easier. During the flight, you should have asked Steve to please get the Cabin Services Director, as you would like to discuss the level of service you are receiving. You then discuss the situation calmly with the CSD and see what he/she does.

If Steve refused your request, then you go to another galley and approach another crew member and ask them to please fetch the CSD.

That's a good idea, I didn't know that there is a "Cabin Services Director" on every flight. Do they have a special badge that identifies them?
However, going to "another galley" was not an option. As far as I remember, all that the economy class passengers had access to was the rear of the plane.
The other galley was in the front, in business class, behind the curtain. I am sure that if I tried to go there, "Steve" (if that's his real name) would call the police on me.

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:51 am

It appears that my impression of U.S. carriers being significantly worse in service than their counterparts everywhere else is not just my subjective experience:

https://www.airhelp.com/en/blog/europea ... heres-why/
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... rriers-do/
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... nts-fight/

UA777EWRTLV

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 pm

This flight attendant sounds absolutely miserable and needs an attitude adjustment and needs to appreciate the job he has by providing better service to customers. Even if he doesn’t love his company, he should ideally have more compassion to fellow human beings.

That said...I’m hesitant to continue because I hate trolling on the internet and believe that if someone doesn’t have something nice to say, they shouldn’t say something at all. But I guess today I just can’t help myself. Levoyageur, while you may be a wonderful person, you sound like a complete pain in the rear passenger - not only to flight crew, but, to other passengers.

The plane took off from CLT to LHR and as soon as the fasten seat belt sign goes off you go to the back to ask for water. Personally, in US airports like CLT or EWR, where I usually fly out of, you can buy water bottles after security and bring them on the plane, as most savvy travelers do. Any other drinks I am feeling a thirst for - like a glass of wine - I’m certainly patient enough for the crew to come around and offer, which they usually do within the first hour of the flight.

“Later” you went down the aisle for stretching...all this before dinner was served. This is my number one complaint about other passengers. For the love of God, just sit down and get out of everyone’s way! On a 16 hour flight to Hong Kong, sure get up and stretch once or twice to avoid deep vain thrombosis, but a seven hour flight from Charlotte to London? Before the meal is served - so 45 minutes into the flight - you use one of the two aisles reserved for 300 people - to stretch? For the love of God, quite the drama, sit down, and get out of everyone’s way! On the route I am a passenger on most frequently - NYC to TLV - this is my biggest complaint about my fellow travelers. The “stretching” bit when you have frazzled crew members trying to start a meal service...just get. Out. Of. The. Way. Stop standing over me doing yoga moves with your posterior in my face.

Later you stood to use the bathrooms - agian before the meal was served. Strike 3. The last flight I was on was from Frankfurt I New York at a window seat. I didn’t get up to use the bathroom until we flew over New Brunswick, Canada, six hours into the flight.

So today is my day to be the anonymous jerk on the internet, but this behavior is what makes flying miserable to me personally - not the plane, food, crew, or seat. But my fellow passengers. I often get tickets on the red-eye Tel Aviv to New York flights just because my fellow 300 passengers are sleeping and not occupying the aisles for 12 hours like mosquitos.

So Steve was a jerk. Who cares? There are a million jerks in the world, why are you wasting your time trying to ruin his career by writing a letter about him - I receive lousy service alll the time and can’t be bothered to actively go after someone’s job for it. But from the rest of the flying public. Just. Sit.
Down. And. Go. With. The. Flow.

IPFreely

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 pm

LeVoyageur wrote:
It appears that my impression of U.S. carriers being significantly worse in service than their counterparts everywhere else is not just my subjective experience:

Vindication is a sweet thing. I imagine you are feeling great about now. Good for you.

bgm

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:48 pm

OP: most of the hostile replies here are most likely by either posters who are US carrier FAs, or Americans who fly US carriers and have gotten used to such vile service.

While I do agree that you were probably getting in the way of the FAs, that is absolutely no excuse for him to treat you as he did. US carriers can get new planes, install new seats, AVOD etc, but the one thing that they can't fix is the rotten FAs that plague their planes. Unfortunately we just have to play the waiting game until they retire as it's very difficult to get them fired due to the unions.

My advice is to try and fly with one of the European carriers, you're far more likely to be treated as something resembling a human, instead of something the FA found on their shoe.
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

bgm

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:52 pm

stlgph wrote:

Yeah, arguing with an FA on a US carrier always ends well. Awesome advice!
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 pm

What is it with AA sky waitresses and hating their customers/not knowing their own company policies? Is it because they're unionized so they're protected from being fired for their terrible behavior? Domestically and on Hawaii hops AA crews are fine, internationally is another story.

Delta flight attendants on the other hand (Delta hires FA's, AA hires sky waitresses) are courteous, know their company policies, and use common sense.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Airstud

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 am

groundbird wrote:

Not an assumption I would've made about the OP considering their handle is something other than "LeVoyageuse"
Pancakes are delicious.

asuflyer05

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:36 am

Welcome to Airliners.net.

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:40 am

Super80Fan wrote:
What is it with AA sky waitresses and hating their customers/not knowing their own company policies? Is it because they're unionized so they're protected from being fired for their terrible behavior? Domestically and on Hawaii hops AA crews are fine, internationally is another story.

Delta flight attendants on the other hand (Delta hires FA's, AA hires sky waitresses) are courteous, know their company policies, and use common sense.

It certainly appears that this particular FA or "sky waitress" was hating the customers. I have been with somewhat rude flight attendants or gate agents before. But this guy gave the impression that he was behaving this way deliberately. Maybe it's some kind of experiment to see how much passengers are willing to put up with?

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:45 am

IPFreely wrote:
LeVoyageur wrote:

Vindication is a sweet thing. I imagine you are feeling great about now. Good for you.

Actually, I don't. Since I live in the U.S., I am stuck with flying U.S. airlines at least for domestic flights.
Why, do you happen to be the flight attendant referenced in my link? (https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... ants-fight)

spacecadet

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 am

bgm wrote:
OP: most of the hostile replies here are most likely by either posters who are US carrier FAs, or Americans who fly US carriers and have gotten used to such vile service.

Or Americans who for some reason like to actively root for for-profit corporations that they have no vested interest in, which is a phenomenon I see here a lot. Even more than those who root for companies they *do* have a vested interest in (stock holdings, etc.), which is definitely another possibility.

There's no defense for the sort of behavior listed here, even if it's exaggerated. Let's say it is exaggerated. You're not going to take a "Of course, here's a cup of water for you!" and turn it into a "no, go back to your seat and wait for us to do drink service." Even if the f/a didn't "scream" that, it's still unacceptable. If a paying customer asks for a cup of water, they should be given a cup of water then and there, with a smile. That's the level of service required in literally every other part of the world, even the third world. It's a shame that Americans have forgotten that.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

UA777EWRTLV

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:30 am

[quote="bgm"]OP: most of the hostile replies here are most likely by either posters who are US carrier FAs, or Americans who fly US carriers and have gotten used to such vile service.

While I do agree that you were probably getting in the way of the FAs, that is absolutely no excuse for him to treat you as he did. US carriers can get new planes, install new seats, AVOD etc, but the one thing that they can't fix is the rotten FAs that plague their planes. Unfortunately we just have to play the waiting game until they retire as it's very difficult to get them fired due to the unions.

My advice is to try and fly with one of the European carriers, you're far more likely to be treated as something resembling a human, instead of something the FA found on their shoe.[/quote

We agree on two things:
The passenger was in eveyone’s way and that regardless that is absolutely no excuse for the flight attendant to be rude. Check and check.

The last part about us Americans being used to vile service...not sure I take the bait on this one. For so many years, airliners.net members have been riding this wave of hating the US3 and praising the ME3 service. They have been coasting this narrative for a bit too long in my opinion. I haven’t flown AA in years, but regularly fly UA and to a lesser extent DL, and I rarely, if ever, experience rude or surly cabin crew. I treat all hotel and airport employees kindly and almost always get the same in return. The worst flight attendant I have ever had was in the business class cabin of an Asiana flight where the flight attendant was short and didn’t smile for 12 hours. The US3 “surly crew” narrative is getting old. I have lived in the USA for a good chunk of my life and find Americans to be very friendly, warm people. The crews are less polished and have less finesse than their European counterparts, which may make them appear less professional, but I certainly think they are equally friend and kind.

IPFreely

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:07 am

LeVoyageur wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
LeVoyageur wrote:

Actually, I don't. Since I live in the U.S., I am stuck with flying U.S. airlines at least for domestic flights.
Why, do you happen to be the flight attendant referenced in my link? (https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... ants-fight)

Not me. But you have to feel good knowing that you are not the only one to complain on the internet about AA FA's.

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:39 am

spacecadet wrote:
bgm wrote:

Or Americans who for some reason like to actively root for for-profit corporations that they have no vested interest in, which is a phenomenon I see here a lot. Even more than those who root for companies they *do* have a vested interest in (stock holdings, etc.), which is definitely another possibility.

There's no defense for the sort of behavior listed here, even if it's exaggerated. Let's say it is exaggerated. You're not going to take a "Of course, here's a cup of water for you!" and turn it into a "no, go back to your seat and wait for us to do drink service." Even if the f/a didn't "scream" that, it's still unacceptable. If a paying customer asks for a cup of water, they should be given a cup of water then and there, with a smile. That's the level of service required in literally every other part of the world, even the third world. It's a shame that Americans have forgotten that.

I wrote a letter to AA (doubt that much will come out of it), as copied in my original post. I tried not to "exaggerate" and just state the facts (what happened and what was said) without injecting personal feelings, although of course I am human. The FA didn't scream when I asked for water, just told me to go wait for service--and then turned to another FA and said "we're trying to get something done here!" He did yell, however, when I was went around to the other isle: "Where is your seat?" Of course, I realize that there is no legal definition of "yelling".

Now, one thing I would like to point out that was stated in my original post: I was NOT the only one who observed this FA "Steve"'s behavior. Two women sitting next to me actually alerted me to him before I noticed anything myself. One of them said that, when she went to ask for earphones, he acted angry and bothered and threw them at her. I was not there, but have no reason to not believe her. During food service, he just dropped trays at our table without asking or saying a single word. (The woman sitting next to me started laughing and shaking her head in disbelief--we knew him well enough by then). But the thing that amazed me the most is that this guy didn't wear a badge or uniform for the duration of the flight--just a gray suit. After we landed, I asked him for his name. He just told me "Steve". I then asked him for his last name (no yelling, just a straight question). He literally told me "That's all you're going to get--now get off MY plane". I don't how I could exaggerate that. Incidentally, the woman next to me also tried to ask his name during the flight. She told me his name was "Smooth". So I don't even what his real name is.

Does anyone know if it a requirement or law for FAs to wear their badges and state their names? I would hope that AA would pay attention to that, if nothing else.

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:58 am

UA777EWRTLV wrote:
bgm wrote:

My advice is to try and fly with one of the European carriers, you're far more likely to be treated as something resembling a human, instead of something the FA found on their shoe.[/quote

We agree on two things:
The passenger was in eveyone’s way and that regardless that is absolutely no excuse for the flight attendant to be rude. Check and check.

The last part about us Americans being used to vile service...not sure I take the bait on this one. For so many years, airliners.net members have been riding this wave of hating the US3 and praising the ME3 service. They have been coasting this narrative for a bit too long in my opinion. I haven’t flown AA in years, but regularly fly UA and to a lesser extent DL, and I rarely, if ever, experience rude or surly cabin crew. I treat all hotel and airport employees kindly and almost always get the same in return. The worst flight attendant I have ever had was in the business class cabin of an Asiana flight where the flight attendant was short and didn’t smile for 12 hours. The US3 “surly crew” narrative is getting old. I have lived in the USA for a good chunk of my life and find Americans to be very friendly, warm people. The crews are less polished and have less finesse than their European counterparts, which may make them appear less professional, but I certainly think they are equally friend and kind.

Not sure how I could be in "everyone's way" as the other passengers or FAs didn't say anything. As stated in my previous reply, there were at least two passengers (women) who were sitting next to me who were treated the same or worse by this FA "Steve". They also said they would report him, although of course I cannot be sure if they did, especially given AA's non-customer-friendly complaint form and lack of a live phone number or chat.

RE: "find Americans to be very friendly, warm people"--I don't want to start a flame war, especially based on nationalities, that will quickly degenerate into name calling. My observations were strictly for customer service on U.S. airlines as compared to European and Latin American ones.

One thing that I find curious is that in the 90s, I read an article in Newsweek that talked about the horrors of customer service in Europe--although they singled out France and Eastern Europe for their examples. They talked about rude store employees who would smoke and talk in front of you, endless bureaucracy, nothing gets done, etc. Of course, this was attributed to "socialism", unions, and their backwards ways, as opposed to shiny perfect American capitalism. It is deeply ironic that in a few years, the situation has switched 180 degrees.

ricport

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:11 pm

vhtje wrote:

First off, do you own this board?

Next, you obviously missed the part where the poster said they SENT THE LETTER TO AA.

Nobody likes message board nannies any more than trolls.

ricport

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:33 pm

LeVoyageur wrote:
I recently had this experience with a particular flight attendant on American Airlines flight from Charlotte to London (CLT-LHR). It was so unusual that I wrote a complaint letter to AA. I am posting a part of the letter here, since it describes what happened pretty accurately:

Sorry for your experience and for the other fools on here heaping scorn on you. I've seen plenty of other posters posting complaints that are truly ridiculous, but I didn't see anything in your letter of that sort. I've flown plenty of flights on both domestic and international carriers, and in all that flying, I've only ever written one letter of complaint in those 35+ years: it was due to the incredibly surly and totally unprofessional demeanor of an AA flight attendant (when I was flying in paid F, so I guess that should count, as the little people in Y don't matter, according to one poster). I've been on many other AA flights, and they seem to have an overabundance of surly, old bat FAs. I suspect they're holdovers from the horrible US Air (pre-America West), which truly set the standard for lousy airline service. Frankly, Steve sounds far more personable than these old crones.

I think FAs have one of the toughest jobs around, and I have an immense amount of respect and admiration for them. I've helped them in an inflight medical emergency. I've asked them if they need a minute to get their composure after basically being threatened by another passenger. But, just as we saw this week with the DL/FWA incident, there are bad FA apples, just as there are bad apples in every profession. And there have been numerous examples where FAs have caused the flight to divert/return to the gate for unwarranted reasons. So, to the person who posted that the poster should have "stuck up" for themselves, I suggest he/she try it on their next flight, and see the response.

Good luck with your letter. I suggest starting at the top by sending an actual paper letter to Doug Parker. Of course, he probably won't read it himself, but you're always better off starting at the top.

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 am

ricport wrote:
Sorry for your experience and for the other fools on here heaping scorn on you. I've seen plenty of other posters posting complaints that are truly ridiculous, but I didn't see anything in your letter of that sort.

Thanks for your understanding! I appreciate it.

ricport wrote:
I think FAs have one of the toughest jobs around, and I have an immense amount of respect and admiration for them. I've helped them in an inflight medical emergency.

I never doubted that they have a "tough job"--but then, the same can be said about many other professions: firefighters, paramedics, coal miners, call center agents, club bouncers... in my opinion, even supermarket cashiers have it rough--try standing up on your feet doing the same repetitive task for many hours a day. All of them do their jobs. Also, FAs know from the beginning that this is customer-facing position. Moreover, somehow FAs from other countries manage to do their "tough job" while understanding that without passengers, they wouldn't have their job in the first place.

ricport wrote:
Good luck with your letter. I suggest starting at the top by sending an actual paper letter to Doug Parker. Of course, he probably won't read it himself, but you're always better off starting at the top.

Thanks for the advice. Should I just send him the same letter I sent to AA customer relations in Phoenix? Also, what's the proper address--AA's corporate headquarters in Fort Worth?

Max Q

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 am

Unfortunately there’s quite a few flight attendants working for US carriers who believe they can be as insulting, pushy and disrespectful as they want

They burned out on the job long ago and /or followed the poor example of more senior ‘dragons’
that abuse passengers

Problem is you’re basically incarcerated in that cabin once you’re airborne, regardless of any
attitude they give you if you ‘stick up for yourself’ the jerk in question is likely to label you a security threat and then you’re in deep doo doo

Guilty till proven innocent, get as much information as you can (they don’t have to give their last name) and file a complaint after the flight

Ask to speak to the purser/ CSD, this MAY resolve the issue especially if other passengers are having problems with the FA and finally, if possible talk to the Captain after the flight being as specific as possible but make sure at ALL times you are totally non confrontational, be polite, calm and do not raise your voice

Unfortunately they hold all the cards and they know it, enough complaints will make a difference though

Personally I try to avoid US carriers, especially on long haul even if I have to pay extra it’s worth it for this very reason
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

LeVoyageur
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:25 pm

On a lighter note, there are times when airlines really get what they deserve for horrible customer service:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/20/man-sue ... light.html