Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyguy84
Topic Author

First look: United Premium Plus

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Here’s the first photos of United premium plus. I also like the IFE upgrades in economy, looks like the same new screen throughout.

https://m.sfgate.com/chris-mcginnis/art ... ium=social
SFO

jetero

Re: First look: United Premium Plus

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:03 pm

They’re never going to replace those damned sidewalls and the yellow lighting, are they?

ldvaviation

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:31 pm

It's Passport Plum.

gatibosgru

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 pm

Same seats as DL.

Still wish they were a bit wider, at least as wide as domestic F, but they look great.
@DadCelo

airzona11

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:34 pm

Looks good. Be interesting to see how UA prices it, still have a high J count and Y+.

bagoldex

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:46 pm

Ghastly. If anything it reminds me just how horrific regular economy has become.

asuflyer05

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:50 pm

How long will it take them to install the new cabin across the fleet?

AA321T

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Same seats as DL.

As well as AA I believe. Funny how they all use the same ones.

77H

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:41 am

jetero wrote:
They’re never going to replace those damned sidewalls and the yellow lighting, are they?

I doesn't appear so which is a real disappointment. Is it really that costly to install LED based light bars? Evening replacing the yellow, mismatched cabin lighting would go a long way in improving the look of UAs cabins.

77H

jetero

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:46 am

77H wrote:
jetero wrote:

I doesn't appear so which is a real disappointment. Is it really that costly to install LED based light bars? Evening replacing the yellow, mismatched cabin lighting would go a long way in improving the look of UAs cabins.

77H

Glad I’m not the only one! What other airlines out there have brown sidewalls and yellow lighting, especially after a cabin mod?

dmstorm22

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:51 am

Per the article, until the full launch they'll be classified as normal Y+ for booking purposes?

Hopefully can get fortunate enough to luck into a flight with Premium Plus during the soft launch.

Looks nice, though always better to test it in person than go off photos, even ones that are not obviously marketed/glammed up.

smi0006

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:02 am

Purple is a weird choice - at least for DL red plus blue = purple, no idea where UA pulled that from.

Looks like MH seat to me.

Now if only one day they’d install proper curtains!!

Max Q

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:02 am

Never been a fan of leather seats on airliners, unless you like sliding around, not sure what UA is thinking.

Are they leather in the main cabin as well ?

And who uses that dinky ‘footrest’ ?
It’s a waste of space
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:09 am

United's current business class is 2-4-2 on the 777s. So, this is not much better.

jetero

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:13 am

Ziyulu wrote:
United's current business class is 2-4-2 on the 777s. So, this is not much better.

Well if you want to compare it to Business Class ... it’s undeniably worse!

jetero

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:14 am

Max Q wrote:
Never been a fan of leather seats on airliners, unless you like sliding around, not sure what UA is thinking.

Are they leather in the main cabin as well ?

And who uses that dinky ‘footrest’ ?
It’s a waste of space

UA is mostly leather now in Y and will be all leather in the future. (Or pleather?) Aren’t most US airlines? That said, I agree with you.

GE90man

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:21 am

Plot twist: this is MH

deltatim

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:19 am

That's the most non-user-friendly "slide show" I've ever seen... Swipe to the next slide!

cofannyc

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:30 am

deltatim wrote:
That's the most non-user-friendly "slide show" I've ever seen... Swipe to the next slide!

Remove the "m." before sfgate in the url. For some reason the OP posted the mobile site.

DayFreighter

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:05 am

I really like the purple. It will probably look extremely dated in a few years but for now it's a nice choice.

ua900

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:49 am

Slimline vinyl seats and linoleum flooring in the bathrooms. Ah, the joys of long haul Y flying.

With that said:

1. That little foot rest in pic 21 looks painful and downright useless for taller poeple.
2. Hope that the leg rest in pic 23 extends further down, otherwise you'd be somewhat crouched if you're taller than about 5'6".
3. Pitch in pic 26 looks about the same as the current Y+, am I missing something?
4. Recline seems to be almost as bad as on the remodeled Airbus, it's a mystery to me why they skipped the marble center armrest.
5. Larger seat back monitors are nice, thanks for not going with BYOD on that like on the HD 772s.
6. UA and LH collaborate on cheapening loyalty programs, amenity kits, liveries :rotfl: , but why didn't UA look to their hard product?
7. Could someone provide the reg of this bird? I'm thinking it's N796UA / Ship 2796. Test flight might help me to validate (or dispel) points 1-5

Ziyulu wrote:

FWIW, you won't see the old 2-4-2 business class on the same plane as Premium economy since they have swapped that for the new 1-2-1 Polaris there.

smi0006 wrote:
Purple is a weird choice - at least for DL red plus blue = purple, no idea where UA pulled that from.

Now if only one day they’d install proper curtains!!

Maybe they went with purple because they liked the mood lighting on the 787s but didn't want to spare the extra money. Seating was the other way to get that color on the plane :-)

No curtains since it's just a mini cabin, maybe some leftover velvety ropes a la 764s once they start stocking Saks pillows and blankets.

airzona11 wrote:
Looks good. Be interesting to see how UA prices it, still have a high J count and Y+.

Actual Polaris seats can and do sell. It's the old ones that people aren't willing to pay for once they've flown Polaris. That's the whole problem with touting a new product and then not being able to offer that system wide or at least in region 1. Y+ still gets comped and will therefore still fill up with elites flying on personal travel and not willing or able to use an instrument, so this product is for people in the middle. Not comped, but not quite business either.

The product lineup itself makes sense, just doesn't seem to be implemented very well since it doesn't distinguish itself from Y+ a while lot. Sure, I get china and glassware, along with Saks, but what about recline and sleep? I was thinking / hoping to see the old crew rest seats pop up again, something thoroughly comfortable since they recently told us that they are listening and have identified the need for good rest as the #1 priority of "premium" travelers.

asuflyer05 wrote:
How long will it take them to install the new cabin across the fleet?

Uh uh, magic question. Seems like on this one they've installed Polaris at the same time. So if that's an indication, 5-6 years.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:38 am

That foot rest looks like its something from Fred Flinstone era. I thought interior color and design was so-so. Then looked at competitors and it looks like an upgrade. What is up with DL?Not a fan of Cathay Pacific either, but LH looked decent.

AirlineBrat

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:20 am

Considering US based carriers are more concerned about shareholders than customer service, I prefer to pay a little extra and sometimes less to fly on foreign carriers. At this point in my life, I can afford to pay for premium economy when I fly internationally every couple of years. Last March, I flew PE on JAL between LAX and NRT. When I boarded the JAL flight in LAX, the gate agent bowed, smiled and said hello in Japanese. I felt appreciated and I knew the flight was going to be special. As a United United Premium Plus passenger, should I expect the gate agent to size me up as a potential threat when boarding the aircraft? That is the vibe I get when flying domestically.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

LAXLHR

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:42 am

DL understood when it was time to refresh their planes, you have to rip everything out. I'm sure people would not ooh and arhhh over some of DL's old planes if they did not feel like new. Putting in new seats and carpet (UA) does not give the same freshness. 20 year old side panels on this 777 look it, even if its just the design/color. 10 across on 777 should be illegal!. It's inhumane.

I swear when you watch how UA goes about doing business it makes you scratch your head. Then you remember its Scott Kirby, and it ALL makes sense.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

jayunited

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:20 pm

A lot of comments about the lighting I'm not sure why UA decided against LED lights but I don't think the majority of passengers actually care about lighting or mood lighting. Personally on long haul international flights I prefer the lights be turned out sometimes the mood lighting works my nerves and in some cases is to bright which prevents me from sleeping.

Where I think UA dropped the ball is in the main economy class section going with 3-4-3 in economy plus and economy , I think UA should have sacrificed the 20-22 additional seats or so in favor of 3-3-3. I'm by no mean a big guys in fact I'm 188 pounds but I've flown on our domestic HD 777 in coach and I just find those seats to be to narrow. United's justification for 3-4-3 is the majority of 777's in operations around the world have already installed 3-4-3 or are planning to install 3-4-3, I just think UA should have stuck with 3-3-3 just like DL did so instead of having 202 seats in regular economy if we had gone with 3-3-3 our seat count would have dropped to 182, if we add it all up 50+24+182=256. I think that is a respectable number of seats for a 77E and it allows passengers in all cabins some sort of comfort. It is times like this that I miss the 744's despite all the problems UA had with them that cabin was wide enough to accommodate 3-4-3 and even without PTV's the coach seat itself was comfortable the 744 was comfortable. The retirement of the 744s has left me searching for my new favorite aircraft, I'm trying to love the 777 but I can't hell in my opinion the 2-5-2 arrangement was better than 3-4-3. The redesigned coach cabin on the 777 isn't comfortable and it doesn't matter what airline your flying on 3-4-3 on a 777 is just plain wrong and uncomfortable. UA should have resisted the urge to install those 20 additional seats. Does the additional possible revenue make that much of a difference?