FlyThiz
Topic Author

787 Window Control by F/As

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:06 am

Greetings all A.Nutters!!!

Sorry, this is my first post (long-time peruser), so please bear with me.

While driving for Lyft in Los Angeles last night, I had fascinating conversation with two F/As; one from United and one from American. The topic of who ultimately controls the window dimming (pax lockout) on the 787 came up. The United F/A indicated they are not allowed to lockout the pax from dimming/un-dimming their window when the F/A has full control. If they do, they would be written up. Later, I was able to speak to an American F/A and posed the same question. The American F/A indicated they are not supposed to, like United, however they do it anyways. Basically for passenger comfort.

Since both indicated their respective airline does not allow the F/As to restrict the dimming feature, would this be an airline policy or an FAA rule?

Thanks!!! :D
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

BWIAirport

Re: 787 Window Control by F/As

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 pm

When I flew ATL-EZE, I was asked to close the window, even though it would be night for the next several hours, so the light didn't disturb the cabin when the sun rose (the sun came up about 3 hours before landing). On the return trip, I was never asked to close the window because the flight was entirely at night (landing at around 5am). It has to do with not disturbing passengers in a dark cabin.
It would have other benefits, though. Multiple times, when arriving at the gate on a hot day, passengers have been asked to leave their window shades closed, I imagine to keen the cabin cool.
I can see how all of this would be easier to control on a 787.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Gonzalo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Personally I found completely unfair and disrespectful that anyone can lock my window view. If I pay for a ticket in a window seat that’s my seat AND MY WINDOW. If anyone doesn’t like the light from outside there are really cheap sunglasses and sleeping masks to wear and not impose your affinity for darkness to the rest of us.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

NYPECO

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm guessing it's an airline policy. I don't believe the FAA would be too concerned over passengers not having control of their windows, especially if it's not a safety issue.

PI4EVER

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:19 pm

As noted by the AA attendant who stated "they weren't supposed to but do it anyway" appears to be the norm on 787 flights.
One segment the windows were dimmed just after reaching 10K feet and remained that way for the duration of a daylight flight to NRT.
On the return, the windows were dimmed at conclusion of the meal service and remained that way until at the 10K foot level for landing.
You can still see out, but through a haze or cloudy view so the Alaska mountain range or coastline view was and is not clear.
The F/A's did say it has reduced complaints by customers who wake up to bright sunlight or flashes of light when shades are opened.
On daylight westbound transatlantic flights, AA requires the shades to be lowered on all aircraft for the majority of the flight, usually beginning at the conclusion of the first meal service.
On a May PHL-LHR overnight flight, a F/A observed I had the shade up after the dinner service, but asked very nicely I observe the "no sun" rule for the morning wakeup. The total flight duration was less than 6 hours so little sleep was had anyway, but a fair request nonetheless and more so on long hauls where the majority of flight is at night with an early a.m. landing.
Its not an AA hard nosed rule as most airlines are doing the same. Some just have more finesse when asking or explaining the window shade situation.
Thomas
P.S. A pet peeve is not having a window seat and the window person slams it closed at the gate and promptly sleeps for the duration of the flight :banghead:
That's from an ole F/A who sat on jumpseats in rear galleys and at doors with little point of reference to outside. I like the window :yes:
watch what you want. you may get it.

NozPerry

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:20 am

On the the 78 we’re not supposed to lock the window blinds or even choose the range in which they can be operated, but that being said I can think of a lot of crews who do. Following SOP If the aircraft is exceptionally hot there’s a setting which limits the lights inside the cabin and locks all the window blinds at 5 but it’s then the crew member (normally the senior) to unlock the windows and then lock them in 1 for take off and landing.
However it is normal for the crew to completely dim the door viewing window as soon as they’re released just to stop passengers leaning on the door looking out.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

Yonderlust

Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Hello, this is my first post, too. I've also been a long time reader of a.net of about 3 years. I'm a civilian aviation enthusiast but my spouse is F/A for AA.

I've noticed on AA that they usually lock the window controls to dark on 787 int'l routes after first meal service. Domestically on the proving runs between LAX and DFW I have yet to see them locked. I was fortunate to be in 3L last week but noticed that in J cabin the two windows per seat are controlled in tandem which I don't like.

Personally, I do not like the coffin feel of a dark cabin. I understand it for sleeping or watching IFE screens but I prefer a few open shades or controls...if even just a sliver. As @PI4EVER noted, I dislike when the shades are slammed shut immediately upon boarding...who doesn't get a thrill of watching the ground separate from your seat at take off! I always open all shades upon boarding if I'm at window or no one else is seated yet in my row. It's interesting to see how many people do nothing with the shade and just accept its position whether open or closed.

What I do like is that most Asian carriers demand the shades be open during take off and landing. I recently (just a few weeks ago) flew SQ from SFO to SIN and the crew was adamant about that. I've flown many carriers within Asia and they do the same.

Anyway, glad to finally be a poster here. Thanks.

Wednesdayite

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:40 pm

I hate the fact that on westbound (daytime) Trans-Atlantic flights, passengers are ordered (and it often is an “order”) by FA to close window blinds.

The last thing I want to do is sleep for the majority of a daytime London to Denver flight, and then arrive in Colorado during the evening wide awake. It’s an insane policy that makes jet lag far worse.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

flyingclrs727

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:
I hate the fact that on westbound (daytime) Trans-Atlantic flights, passengers are ordered (and it often is an “order”) by FA to close window blinds.

The last thing I want to do is sleep for the majority of a daytime London to Denver flight, and then arrive in Colorado during the evening wide awake. It’s an insane policy that makes jet lag far worse.

I prefer to have the window wide open so I can reset my internal clock. If people want to sleep they can wear eye shades.