Ziyulu
Topic Author

Incoming Flight Delayed

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 pm

What leeway to ticketing agents have when your incoming flight is delayed? I was tracking the incoming flight and it would only be on the ground for 15 minutes before my flight's scheduled departure. I knew that was not enough time to turn around a plane so I was being pro-active and called to see if I could change my reservation to an earlier flight. The agent wanted to charge me the difference in fare plus a change fee. She stated that the delay does not show in the system so she could not help me.

9MMPQ

Re: Incoming Flight Delayed

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Your answer is going to vary hugely depending on the nature & length of the delay plus whatever policies carriers from A through Z have in place.

On the face of it this might not even become a delay. Your outgoing flight might not be operated by the incoming aircraft. If it's long haul there's a good chance a flight can make up some of the lost time, still getting you to your destination relatively on schedule. Handling on the ground could also be expedited to help speed the turn around. But without some more context it's all guessing for us here. How did things turn out for you ?

Overall it's probably fair to say that unless flights are significantly delayed & that shows in their systems a call center agent has very little, if any, leeway to rebook without fees.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

jetmatt777

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:19 pm

The reason they don’t preload delays for delays of this scenario is the fact thT they do not want passengers wandering off or planning to arrive late to the airport. Most passengers will not look up their inbound flight to see that it is delayed. So they show it as a planned on time departure to keep everyone close to the gate. Once they start boarding, they will update to the appropriate estimated departure time.

If the scheduled arrival is late by an hour or so they will post the delay, but if it is 15-20 mins late coming in and arriving at the gate before scheduled departure, they will show it as on time departure.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

XAM2175

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:27 pm

The basic answer is as 9MMPQ says - airline passenger service agents can only act as they're allowed to act, so if their booking system doesn't show a delay, they can't treat you as a delayed or potentially-delayed passenger.

Had a delay been posted on your flight then it's entirely possible you may have been moved as you requested, but it's also possible you might not have - it depends on airline policy. Some are even more proactive about it - Qantas have been known to actively phone customers to offer them earlier flights if it looks like they might need spare seats later in the day - while others prefer passengers start their travel as booked and then clean-up any missed connections down-route.

I'm also curious - this has every indication of having already happened to you but you don't actually say what the outcome ended up being. Was your flight actually even delayed?

Ziyulu
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:41 pm

The incoming flight was coming from a different city and the delay ended up being about 45 minutes.

johns624

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
The incoming flight was coming from a different city and the delay ended up being about 45 minutes.
I'd be more surprised if the incoming flight was coming from the same city you were already in...

e38

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 am

ziyulu, did the 45 minute delay cause you to miss a connection?

e38

Ziyulu
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:54 pm

No, but it caused me to miss my hotel shuttle.

Midway737

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:05 pm

im at lost here......

IPFreely

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm

The airlines -- at least some of them -- have apps that make this much easier.

About 2-3 weeks ago I was flying to PHL with a connection in ORD. I had about an hour layover in ORD and my inbound flight was delayed because of thunderstorms. I asked at the gate about rebooking onto the next ORD-PHL flight because it looked like I would miss my connection. They were unable to do this -- I guess at the time their system didn't show that I would miss my connection. I boarded the plane and while we were waiting on the ground, I got a notice on the United app that I would miss my connection and with the push of a button I was able to select a confirmed seat on the next available flight and get an updated electronic boarding pass -- no hours spent standing in line or on hold on the phone.

Ziyulu
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 am

I emailed customer service and this was the response I got. Keep in mind the original delay was mechanical, not weather-related.

July 7, 2018

Hello Mr. Lu:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines, hi my name is Michele and I am here to address your concerns.

There's nothing more frustrating than having to travel when bad weather affects the airline business. Ziyu, I'm very sorry for all that happened when you traveled with us. Regrettably, when the weather doesn't cooperate, we don't have too many options to get you to where you are going as planned. What we can do, however, is display a friendly attitude to help make the situation a little less trying and your comments enable us to see things from our customers' perspective.

Ziyu, I regret that we were unable to change your flight without a change fee and fare difference. Consequently, it just isn't possible to guarantee airline schedules, which are subject to change without notice. Still, we understand that our customers depend on our schedules, and I wish we had been more successful in minimizing your inconvenience. Please accept our sincere apology.

Ziyu, I do apologize for your delay and inconvenience. You have my assurance that we will continue to focus on the on-time departure of our flights and do all we can to get you to your destination on time. I hope you will give us another chance to do so. Thank you for flying with American Airlines.

Sincerely,

Michele Blaze

Customer Relations

American Airlines

AA Ref#1-27267827920