Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Harshil9
Topic Author

New planned destinations from LHR and any routes you think could start in the near future.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi I travelled through LHR yesterday and I am interested to hear any news on new services that are planned to start and also any thoughts on what people on the forum think are destinations that could be started over the next few years.

PatrickZ80

Re: New planned destinations from LHR and any routes you think could start in the near future.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Not much room for new destinations from Heathrow since the airport is more then full. Only way to start something new is to give up something else in return.

planemanofnz

Re: New planned destinations from LHR and any routes you think could start in the near future.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 pm

I see scope for some more Chinese services - one that springs to mind is LHR - SZX, not only because SZX is a tier-one city in China and booming in its own right, but also because LHR - HKG is currently operating at very high frequencies, and SZX is well-placed to be able to take some of the growth / over-spill in the coming years. LHR is also well-placed to offer some good connections from SZX, like to DUB (with both SZX and DUB being tech-hubs). The only airlines that would operate this route, IMO, would be BA, CA or HU.

Cheers,

C.

stl07

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:53 pm

STL

GRJGeorge

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Durban (DUR) starting end October, BA 3 x weekly 787-8, new destination for LHR

880dc8707

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:17 pm

I know 1stops have become less and less popular, but BA could up capacity and
fly PHL PIT, ORD STL, DEN SLC, whatever, get better market coverage, a bigger customer base

skipness1E

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:21 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Not much room for new destinations from Heathrow since the airport is more then full. Only way to start something new is to give up something else in return.

It's called churn patrickZ80, out with the old...
This year we have seen Capital Airlines, Tianjin and Hainain all launch new long haul from China.

Galwayman

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:22 pm

All the secondary cities in China , anything with 5 million plus , lots and lots of potential for the Chinese airlines

Arion640

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:28 pm

880dc8707 wrote:
I know 1stops have become less and less popular, but BA could up capacity and
fly PHL PIT, ORD STL, DEN SLC, whatever, get better market coverage, a bigger customer base

3 of those they already fly too, PHX is 10 weekly with the 747 while ORD sees the A380.

880dc8707

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:36 pm

I know the 3, I thought a 1 stop add on could add 3 more cities. It was just an example, Im sure there are similar in Australia, India, China (as a 1stop)

iadadd

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Galwayman wrote:
All the secondary cities in China , anything with 5 million plus , lots and lots of potential for the Chinese airlines

I'd like to think those cities would be better served from a hub such as FRA or AMS; better capability to connect to many cities in Europe

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:07 pm

iadadd wrote:
I'd like to think those cities would be better served from a hub such as FRA or AMS; better capability to connect to many cities in Europe

Amsterdam is also at the limits of it's capacity. Don't know about Frankfurt, but I can't imagine it's much better. Paris Charles de Gaulle seems to have some unused capacity left, so that could be an option. Another benefit of Charles de Gaulle is that it has a high speed train station right at the airport, so you can take a train from London to Charles de Gaulle or the other way around. That way you don't need a feeder flight between London and Paris, the train would hardly be slower than flying.

AV8AJET

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:27 pm

With Norwegian starting LGW-TPA I could see BA switch its LGW-TPA to LHR-TPA, perhaps a return of BA LHR-DTW.

rj777

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Maybe after MKE gets the new international terminal done, maybe there.... (yes I know there's the ORD vs MKE debate going on)

shankly

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:58 pm

I guess it will depend on election outcomes and resulting politics, but HRE will surely return (788?) at some point

JayBCNLON

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:06 pm

We should rather talk about the routes that will no longer be required after brexit.

BlueTrue

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 pm

''With Norwegian starting LGW-TPA I could see BA switch its LGW-TPA to LHR-TPA, perhaps a return of BA LHR-DTW.''

Isn't it amazing how every discussion quickly turns to what routes should move from Lgw to Lhr and how stupid it is they operate from Lgw in the first place.

Have you ever travelled through Lgw?

Galwayman

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:10 pm

iadadd wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

The hubs are in China ( Not Europe and certainly not LON) and will carry passengers onto to Asia and Australia... LHR, CDG,AMS are just spokes for the Chinese airlines ... that’s why BA can’t compete ....

OzarkD9S

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:54 pm

stl07 wrote:
STL

Indeed. I think we're the largest US market not connected to LHR at this point.

Pepper456

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:26 am

North America: HNL, OGG, LIH, MCO, MCI, TPA, BIL, BOI, STL
Australia: SYD, BNE, MEL, CNS, OOL (when A350ULR is launched)
Africa: LAD, MPM, RAI, SID, TMS, WDH, TUN, ROB, BZV
South America: FOR, REC, MAO, BSB, POA, CNF, JPA, USH, LIM, CTG, CCS, POS, LPB, CLO
Central America: CUN, TIJ, LAP, SJC, BZE, PTP, FDF, VRA, LRM, PUJ
Asia: HKT, GOI, HYD, CTS, FUK, DPS, DIL, GOI, CCJ, FNJ, PUS, VVO, IKT, OVB, AER, KZN
Europe: ALC, VLC, OPO, PDL, TER, PIX, HOR, SMA, FNC, PXO, SCQ, VGO, MJV, GRX, SVQ, ACE, FUE, IBZ, MAH, LRH, NTE, ORY, CGN, STR, AAL, MMX, FLR, BDS, SUF, OLB, ESB, HER, CHQ, JTR, SKG, PFO, LCA, FKB
These are the most flagrant cases that i know...

neomax

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:06 am

BlueTrue wrote:
''With Norwegian starting LGW-TPA I could see BA switch its LGW-TPA to LHR-TPA, perhaps a return of BA LHR-DTW.''

Isn't it amazing how every discussion quickly turns to what routes should move from Lgw to Lhr and how stupid it is they operate from Lgw in the first place.

Have you ever travelled through Lgw?

Have you ever travelled through TPA?

gerstetm

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
stl07 wrote:
STL

Indeed. I think we're the largest US market not connected to LHR at this point.

Yes, definitely. Whether it’s BA, Norwegian, or another airline, STL needs a direct to LHR!

LH658

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:26 am

Dhaka Colombo - BA
Peshawar - PIA
Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad - BA or Norwegian
CCU, HYD, Amritsar - AI, Norwegian, BA
YEG - AC, BA, Air Transat

BoeingGuy

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:07 am

Pepper456 wrote:
South America: FOR, REC, MAO, BSB, POA, CNF, JPA, USH, LIM, CTG, CCS, POS, LPB, CLO
Asia: HKT, GOI, HYD, CTS, FUK, DPS, DIL, GOI, CCJ, FNJ, PUS, VVO, IKT, OVB, AER, KZN
Europe: ALC, VLC, OPO, PDL, TER, PIX, HOR, SMA, FNC, PXO, SCQ, VGO, MJV, GRX, SVQ, ACE, FUE, IBZ, MAH, LRH, NTE, ORY, CGN, STR, AAL, MMX, FLR, BDS, SUF, OLB, ESB, HER, CHQ, JTR, SKG, PFO, LCA, FKB

OGG and LIH don’t have the runway length. BIL and BOI are non-starters. I could see STL or CMH soon.

Andy33

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:21 am

Pepper456 wrote:

As BoeingGuy has pointed out, OGG and LIH don't have the runway length. There may well be others that fall into this category - FLR for instance can't take anything bigger than an A319. But in addition quite a few of these routes have been tried and failed, or at least produced inadequate yields and passenger volumes compared to alternative uses of the plane and slots. One of the most recent of the ceased routes is ORY.
It will also come as a surprise to British Airways that there are no flights from LHR to JTR as they think they operate the route.

jamsco99

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am

LH658 wrote:
Dhaka Colombo - BA
Peshawar - PIA

Air transat tried LHR once but didn't last long

Themotionman

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am

Pepper456 wrote:
North America: BIL, BOI

Whilst agree with most of the others, these two I find hard to imagine ever happening especially considering they don't even have service to the East Coast.

Pe@rson

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:58 am

Probably a low risk, short-haul, low frequency holiday-focused route. BA has a number of these from LHR.

Pepper456

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:59 am

Andy33 wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:

As BoeingGuy has pointed out, OGG and LIH don't have the runway length. There may well be others that fall into this category - FLR for instance can't take anything bigger than an A319. But in addition quite a few of these routes have been tried and failed, or at least produced inadequate yields and passenger volumes compared to alternative uses of the plane and slots. One of the most recent of the ceased routes is ORY.
It will also come as a surprise to British Airways that there are no flights from LHR to JTR as they think they operate the route.

AA do OGG-DFW with a B777 (AA6) so why Kahalui cant have flights to LHR with a B787?

Andy33

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Pepper456 wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:

AA do OGG-DFW with a B777 (AA6) so why Kahalui cant have flights to LHR with a B787?

One obvious reason might be that it would take very much more fuel to get from OGG to LHR than from OGG to DFW, increasing the takeoff weight and requiring more runway length as a result.
Just spotted another error - LCA has multiple daily flights from LHR with BA and also daily flights with Cobalt Air.

Cunard

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:49 am

jamsco99 wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Dhaka Colombo - BA
Peshawar - PIA

Air transat tried LHR once but didn't last long

That's mainly because they only had weekend slots, one flight on a Saturday and Sunday and were not able to obtain any more slots at what was a congested LHR at the time as they used the old Terminal 2.

I think that was the reasoning behind the flight to Toronto being axed after two seasons.

Cunard

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:57 am

Pepper456 wrote:

Very fragrant list indeed and some ridiculous suggestions.

Some of those destinations are already flown from LHR.

Some of those destinations have recently been axed by British Airways from Heathrow such as Luanda and Nantes.

Some of those destinations were previously flown by British Airways from LHR but were obviously axed.

Some of those destinations are currently flown from LGW and no need to transfer them to a very slot constrained LHR.

With LHR very slot constrained your be lucky to see even 5 of those destinations that you have very ''fragrantly'' listed.

Cunard

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:58 am

Pepper456 wrote:

Some of those destinations have recently been axed by British Airways from Heathrow such as Luanda and Nantes.

Some of those destinations were previously flown by British Airways from LHR but were obviously axed.

Some of those destinations are currently flown from LGW and no need to transfer them to a very slot constrained LHR.

With LHR very slot constrained your be lucky to see even 5 of those destinations that you have very ''fragrantly'' listed.

lordlogan

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 am

Cunard wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:

Some of those European suggestions are very unlikely. As much as I recently flew to the Azores and witnessed a fairly poor service from Azores Airlines, I don't see any service to TER, PIX, HOR, SMA, PXO being profitable enough to serve from LHR. Some of these are islands with a population of a couple of thousand. They're leisure destinations. If it becomes a particularly affluent tourist destination, you could get some sub-daily service to PDL (serving the largest island in the Azores), but nothing more.

I was also fairly sure that a service to FLR already existed and personally I would find a BZE service interesting, although more likely served from LGW.

Pepper456

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:14 pm

lordlogan wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:

Some of those European suggestions are very unlikely. As much as I recently flew to the Azores and witnessed a fairly poor service from Azores Airlines, I don't see any service to TER, PIX, HOR, SMA, PXO being profitable enough to serve from LHR. Some of these are islands with a population of a couple of thousand. They're leisure destinations. If it becomes a particularly affluent tourist destination, you could get some sub-daily service to PDL (serving the largest island in the Azores), but nothing more.

I was also fairly sure that a service to FLR already existed and personally I would find a BZE service interesting, although more likely served from LGW.

Some routes of my list are seasonal (TUI can do this) of course

Cunard

Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 am

Pepper456 wrote:
lordlogan wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Some routes of my list are seasonal (TUI can do this) of course

TUI are a fully integrated holiday company with an inhouse airline as in TUI (Air) they do not have the same type of operation as British Airways, if anything I think that you should have used EasyJet as an example!

As I have already pointed out in an earlier post your list is far too ''fragrant'' to say the least and as I've already explained many of your ''fragrant'' routes are already operated or have recently been axed!

BritTraveller

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:55 pm

And of course, Shenzhen is now becoming a route.