Freshside3

Re: UAs next new thing?

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:14 pm

ualcsr wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:
What about going back to Africa from EWR?

EWR-JNB/CPT 787
EWR-DKR-LOS 757
EWR-ACC 763
EWR-CAI 763
EWR-CMN 763

I was thinking the same thing and how about adding ADD to that list.

There are only two remaining US markets that have enough demand for Addis......and those are both on the West Coast, which would almost certainly require a stop someplace. SEA could definitely use one, but it's not a hub anymore. So, basically, its SFO or nothing, when it comes to UA serving ADD.

As for the other African markets, they ones mentioned above make sense. But there are a couple that could certainly be done from IAD or IAH, as well.

Judge1310

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 pm

MCIRNO wrote:
questions wrote:
UA’s Next New Thing?

1. Finish what it has started
- completing all aspects of the Polaris rollout
- energizing and re-engaging the workforce
- improving the passenger experience

2. Fire Scott Kirby

interesting thing on 1C of your list...I was just flying UA this past week for the first time in a while and noticed with their "new and improved boarding system" that their first class and other status passengers boarded third or fourth even though they were in the so-called "Group 1" after a series of families, people needing extra time, etc. I was standing there thinking that if I was spending lots of money flying UA and I'm the first person in the Group 1 line, I'm literally the 35th person to board, it would show how much UA "values" me. I actually saw one of their Group 1 people have to scramble to put her overhead bag three rows away since the massive amount of preboarders loaded the overheads where she was sitting.

I haven't seen this with any other US carrier who boards their first class passengers so 'late'; I would think this would be low-hanging fruit for them to fix. Let their first class and major frequent fliers get on the plane, keep them happy(ier).

That's my $0.02...

Such entitled, erroneous, and ableist thinking. That's how airlines are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Your particular gripe is actually the LAW here in the US. It's called 14 CFR Part 382 and the subsection is 93 where it states specifically:
§ 382.93 Must carriers offer preboarding to passengers with a disability?
As a carrier, you must offer preboarding to passengers with a disability who self-identify at the gate as needing additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.

So if you don't like the law then take it up with your local Congressperson and the various passenger rights groups that are in favour of such legislation. Ugh, as the kids say: GTFOHWTBS...

codc10

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:48 pm

EWR-JNB is within the realm of possibility once 787s come to EWR (needs 789) and perhaps additional frames are ordered.

EWR-CAI was announced for a 2011 start (CO 777) but was scrubbed before launch due to the Arab Spring political unrest and the turmoil which followed. CAI is rebounding as a safe tourist destination and perhaps seasonal EWR service with 763 could be added, especially if codeshare with MS is expanded.

CMN is also growing as a 'trendy' tourist destination from the US.

I don't see UA adding any service which requires intermediate stops. The last international tag flight was killed last year (HKG-SIN) and I doubt they'll ever return.

GSP psgr

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
ualcsr wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:
What about going back to Africa from EWR?

EWR-JNB/CPT 787
EWR-DKR-LOS 757
EWR-ACC 763
EWR-CAI 763
EWR-CMN 763

I was thinking the same thing and how about adding ADD to that list.

There are only two remaining US markets that have enough demand for Addis......and those are both on the West Coast, which would almost certainly require a stop someplace. SEA could definitely use one, but it's not a hub anymore. So, basically, its SFO or nothing, when it comes to UA serving ADD.

As for the other African markets, they ones mentioned above make sense. But there are a couple that could certainly be done from IAD or IAH, as well.

JNB, ACC, and DKR are covered at IAD by SA, which would leave CAI and CMN. UA could resume IAH-LOS, but I wonder if it would be profitable enough.

adamblang

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:58 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
With UA loving the capabilities of the 787, what is their next big thing? Thoughts?

With rising oil eating away at profits, escalating trade war starting to drag down international travel, and the American middle class entering a second decade of stagnant wages, I think United's next big thing – and all U.S. carriers' next big thing – outta be making through the next 5 years without layoffs, deferred investment, and service cuts.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

ual777

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm

adamblang wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
With UA loving the capabilities of the 787, what is their next big thing? Thoughts?

With rising oil eating away at profits, escalating trade war starting to drag down international travel, and the American middle class entering a second decade of stagnant wages, I think United's next big thing – and all U.S. carriers' next big thing – outta be making through the next 5 years without layoffs, deferred investment, and service cuts.

International travel is growing (in UAs case quite rapidly YoY), not contracting, and wages are starting to tick upwards.

Oil prices will be a challenge though.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

sand26391

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:20 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Nimish wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
I would actually love to see them try a similar approach with South Asia. They've had good success with EWR-BOM/DEL, and have hubs that could support -DEL flights (SFO, LAX), but maybe even try IAH-DEL, or ORD-DEL, though I know Air India flies some of these routes already.

They can even attempt more secondary India flying. I know CO tossed around a BLR flight for a while, that opportunity still exists from SFO or EWR. I believe either can be run using a B788 - that's the type of route the aircraft was created for. These are huge cities with growing populations of people who can afford to travel (and similarly travel back in the case of US immigrants). They already have some cache in India with teh success of their EWR-India flights.

If any US airline truly wants to defend their anti-ME3 position, overflying them is the best option, and UA is in the best position to give it a true go.

To add - their success on the SFO-SIN route hopefully allows them to launch SFO-DEL as well. BLR is too far south to be profitable IMO. Alternate to UA launching SFO-DEL, I'd like to see them get cozy with AI - who are already operating the route. Plus use AI for domestic connections on the India side at BOM/DEL, and UA on the US side for the AI ports.

Halfway during what I wrote, I thought about scrapping it and just saying 'get more cozy with AI'

It would make a lot of sense, especially if AI finds some success on the -DEL routes they have or will launch.

For BLR, I think EWR-BLR could work, as you have a sizable VFR community that is fairly wealthy (something that has allowed EWR-BOM/DEL to survive all these years) but admittedly not as natural a fit from a business perspective as SFO. It's a bit shorter so an B788 would work more easily. But then again, UA has been reticent to have any B788/9 routes out of EWR. Maybe that changes once they start B78J routes out of EWR.

Acc to Sabre BLR-SFO O&D pax in 2017 was 135,202 up by 4% , AFAIK BLR-NYC is lesser than BLR-SFO, somewhere around 100k.
Also SFO, acc to BIAL folks is listed as "Underserved destination. So I feel SFO-BLRr will happen b4 BLR-JFK/EWR.
Also when I spoke to a source in BLR, he told me they are not in talks with UA on BLR- New York route. This was in Jan 2018, check this video though...(1st question)

https://twitter.com/BLRAirport/status/9 ... 6797746177

dmstorm22

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:36 pm

sand26391 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Nimish wrote:

To add - their success on the SFO-SIN route hopefully allows them to launch SFO-DEL as well. BLR is too far south to be profitable IMO. Alternate to UA launching SFO-DEL, I'd like to see them get cozy with AI - who are already operating the route. Plus use AI for domestic connections on the India side at BOM/DEL, and UA on the US side for the AI ports.

Halfway during what I wrote, I thought about scrapping it and just saying 'get more cozy with AI'

It would make a lot of sense, especially if AI finds some success on the -DEL routes they have or will launch.

For BLR, I think EWR-BLR could work, as you have a sizable VFR community that is fairly wealthy (something that has allowed EWR-BOM/DEL to survive all these years) but admittedly not as natural a fit from a business perspective as SFO. It's a bit shorter so an B788 would work more easily. But then again, UA has been reticent to have any B788/9 routes out of EWR. Maybe that changes once they start B78J routes out of EWR.

Acc to Sabre BLR-SFO O&D pax in 2017 was 135,202 up by 4% , AFAIK BLR-NYC is lesser than BLR-SFO, somewhere around 100k.
Also SFO, acc to BIAL folks is listed as "Underserved destination. So I feel SFO-BLRr will happen b4 BLR-JFK/EWR.
Also when I spoke to a source in BLR, he told me they are not in talks with UA on BLR- New York route. This was in Jan 2018, check this video though...(1st question)

Makes sense. It's a bit shorter, so there is a tradeoff, but not surprised the potential traveler population is larger in SFO.

One question is how big is their assumed catchment area for BLR-NYC? People even near Philly may drive up to EWR to go to BLR. Anyway, given that there are no current talks may not be too relevant.

MartijnNL

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:36 pm

ZKNCL wrote:
questions wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
A tulip on the tail :duck:
I never understood why they adopted that ugly AT&T globe. (...) why not the Continental fuselage with the tulip on the tail?
Ah, never seen this kind of discourse on this forum before.

I liked the globe and the tulip. What I still don't like is the combination of the Continental livery and the United name. That is just wrong.

adamblang

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:57 pm

ual777 wrote:
International travel is growing (in UAs case quite rapidly YoY)

Sure, you can grow international capacity all you want and the seats will be full if you give 'em away. But Wall Street won't be too happy about that. My point trade war is bad for business and we're at the start of that trade war. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
IATA warns Trump trade war could hit airline demand
“That said, concerns over a possible trade war involving the US could have a serious dampening effect on global market confidence, spilling over into demand for air travel.”

De Juniac said aviation was the “business of freedom” but for it to be able to grow it needed “borders that are open to trade and travel, and infrastructure to support the demand for connectivity”.

International passenger traffic growth slowed to 4.4 percent but all regions stayed in positive territory.

Airlines Fear Tariffs Will Stoke a U.S.-China Trade War
In a report earlier this week, Daniel McKenzie, an analyst with Buckingham Research Group, said tariffs, “are an incremental negative for travel demand,” and noted United Airlines, which has far more China capacity than American Airlines and Delta Air Lines, with flights to Chengdu, Beijing and Shanghai, could be most at risk among U.S. airlines. Officials at Chicago-based United could not be reached for comment.

U.S. airline stocks took a hit Thursday, though most did not fall as much as the broader Dow Jones Industrial Average, which dropped more than 700 points, or nearly 3 percent.

These 3 airlines to suffer most from growing trade dispute, analyst says
Shares of the Big 3 airlines fell Tuesday after Deutsche Bank downgraded them, citing concerns over heightened geopolitical risks, highlighted by the growing trade dispute.

“The possibility that the current trade dispute between the U.S. and its global partners could become something bigger is problematic for the industry’s top line given how closely correlated it is to imports and exports of goods and services,” Linenberg wrote in a note to clients. “Furthermore, the growing trade dispute may cause U.S. companies to reconsider their [capital expenditure] and employment plans, which would adversely impact corporate travel.”
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:15 pm

chicawgo wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
Global Services per-boards on UA and is their group of top tier flyers. UA also puts its 1K in group 1, which, for example, AA does not have explat in group 1 normally. Upon my AA boarding two days ago, elderly in wheelchairs boarded first, as they did on my AA flight last week. There are normally not that many, if any military. So your only gripe seems to be families with kids under two and where they board?

Airlines definitely do not say “with kids under two.” They say “w
I ith young children” and I’ve seen families boarding when the children are 12. It’s disgusting.

I am Global Services on UNITED and fly them at least twice a week every week. They say children two and under.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

sand26391

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
sand26391 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Makes sense. It's a bit shorter, so there is a tradeoff, but not surprised the potential traveler population is larger in SFO.

One question is how big is their assumed catchment area for BLR-NYC? People even near Philly may drive up to EWR to go to BLR. Anyway, given that there are no current talks may not be too relevant.

I am not sure of what their assumptions are tbh, I am quiet sure the data was taken from OAG or Sabre(?).
BAH is no more in the list.....

mm320cap

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:22 pm

N505fx wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
N505fx wrote:

Munoz leadership? ROTFL...Munoz is the core of the problem and furthest thing from a leader....a panderer? yes! a leader....no way.

Oscar is the best thing to happen to this airline in decades. Your opinion of him is based on, what, exactly? Mine is based on 24 years of being a pilot here and about 6 CEO’s

Best of the worst then... proof is in the pudding. He has been at the helm for 3 years, United's public image is at its all time low, the product still lags, the financial performance is mediocre, the board has stripped him of his chairman duties, he had to bring in someone who actually knows the airline industry to do a majority of the tasks that should be in his stead, CORE 4 is an absolute half assed joke, his management team lasts about as long a gnats lifespan, he's botched investor calls, he's botched PR situations....should I go on with how ineffective he is? If he is the greatest UAL has had....why doesn't that reflect? Granted, compared to Glenn, Jim, Jack, Steven, Jeff he's better....but I would hardly call any of those the high water mark of good CEOs. BTW...did you see his "performance" in the congressional hearings? "Scott? Scott? Scott???? Scott! Can you answer the questions? Scott!! I think I poopooed my pants, Scott?!?!?"

As I said, and you agreed with, Oscar is the best thing that’s happened to this airline in decades. You listed the reasons (previous CEO’s) why. Greenwald wasn’t bad, but he’s HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than anyone else we’ve had since I’ve been here. Creighton was fine - nice guy, but he was just there because no one else would take the job.

What Oscar has done is give the employees hope. The sense that someone FINALLY is there to do something other than cash a paycheck. He actually listens to what his people have to say, and he makes us feel valued. That’s priceless. Don’t care how he sounds to congress or investor calls. For FAR too long this airline has been run for the short term stock price.

Obviously United isn’t perfect, but the pulse at the airline changed 180 degrees when Oscar took over for Jeff. Couldn’t care less whether you like him or think he’s doing a good job or not. He’s earned my loyalty and respect. To me, as an employee, THAT’s how you measure a CEO. The operational and financial performance has been trending consistently up since he’s taken the helm. It takes a lot to undo the Jeff.

Cointrin330

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:27 am

United needs to stop waging war on its customers. And I am not talking about dragging people off planes, putting pets in the overheads, or maintaining a solid air of mediocrity. What United needs to do is create the illusion or a tangible perception that it is making strides in order to provide an overall better experience. Right now, it's all a mixed bag and incomprehensible that 8 years after a merger, it is still hobbled by integration. All that said, there are signs of promise. I recently flew UA from EWR to ATH and back from FCO to EWR and the flights were on time, the crew were responsive, the planes were tidy (although in need of a serious cabin refresh particularly in the front) and the crew looked shabby, sloppy, and still resistant to doing basic things like fixing a frozen monitor on a seat back or delivering an amenity kit when asked. As for Oscar Munoz, he's had plenty of misfires and shown he too is tone deaf (his response to the dog incident and the dragging incident prove it), but he's a whole lot better than what UA had previously. United is also blessed with hubs in top business markets and also competes with at least 1 or more carrier in each of those markets. This is one of the reasons it can't quite catch up to Delta or American in the breadth of its profitability. Keep rolling out Polaris products, create a baseline of good service, clean up refurbish your planes, and generally offer a better service option. That's really not a lot to strive for and United isn't quite there yet but is closing in on it.

questions

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:31 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
I am Global Services on UNITED and fly them at least twice a week every week. They say children two and under.

I have no problem with a *small* family traveling with toddlers boarding before me when I’m traveling in First. And I especially feel for a single parent traveling with toddlers. Absolutely give them some extra time before the masses board.

What I do not like is when ONE child under two provides early boarding privaleges for three teenage siblings, two aunts, an uncle, a great aunt, four cousins, and the husband’s ex wife and their three college age children.

LHUSA

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
United needs to stop waging war on its customers. And I am not talking about dragging people off planes, putting pets in the overheads, or maintaining a solid air of mediocrity. What United needs to do is create the illusion or a tangible perception that it is making strides in order to provide an overall better experience. Right now, it's all a mixed bag and incomprehensible that 8 years after a merger, it is still hobbled by integration. All that said, there are signs of promise. I recently flew UA from EWR to ATH and back from FCO to EWR and the flights were on time, the crew were responsive, the planes were tidy (although in need of a serious cabin refresh particularly in the front) and the crew looked shabby, sloppy, and still resistant to doing basic things like fixing a frozen monitor on a seat back or delivering an amenity kit when asked. As for Oscar Munoz, he's had plenty of misfires and shown he too is tone deaf (his response to the dog incident and the dragging incident prove it), but he's a whole lot better than what UA had previously. United is also blessed with hubs in top business markets and also competes with at least 1 or more carrier in each of those markets. This is one of the reasons it can't quite catch up to Delta or American in the breadth of its profitability. Keep rolling out Polaris products, create a baseline of good service, clean up refurbish your planes, and generally offer a better service option. That's really not a lot to strive for and United isn't quite there yet but is closing in on it.

You say United "needs to stop waging war on its customers" and your solution is "United needs to do is create the illusion or a tangible perception that it is making strides in order to provide an overall better experience"

Those are two very separate things. And as a 1K UA flier I've never felt United was waging war on me as a passenger. I do feel they are stuck in a PR rut and have been very slow to turn that ship. After all, perception is king. But operations and product are solid - in some ways better than DL/AA, in some ways worse. It's certainly the hell that many describe (and that rhetoric is usually coming from those that don't even fly UA).

Freshside3

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:43 am

What UA SHOULD do, as opposed to what they WILL do, are two different things.

Many things seem to be going exceptionally well........less issues with overbookings, and baggage mishandling has also gone down considerably.

Inflight entertainment needs to be more consistent. Many people have some issue or another with the movies and wi-fi......and listing to music is NOT an option on many UA flights.

There are some routes that need to be added.....but that is a whole story in itself....and will save that for another time.

Oscar has improved the morale and trust of the employees considerably, as mentioned. However, the recent mishandling of LAX-SIN has put many employees in a bit of a sour mood, in recent days.

ual777

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:17 am

adamblang wrote:
ual777 wrote:
International travel is growing (in UAs case quite rapidly YoY)

Sure, you can grow international capacity all you want and the seats will be full if you give 'em away. But Wall Street won't be too happy about that. My point trade war is bad for business and we're at the start of that trade war. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
IATA warns Trump trade war could hit airline demand
“That said, concerns over a possible trade war involving the US could have a serious dampening effect on global market confidence, spilling over into demand for air travel.”

De Juniac said aviation was the “business of freedom” but for it to be able to grow it needed “borders that are open to trade and travel, and infrastructure to support the demand for connectivity”.

International passenger traffic growth slowed to 4.4 percent but all regions stayed in positive territory.

Airlines Fear Tariffs Will Stoke a U.S.-China Trade War
In a report earlier this week, Daniel McKenzie, an analyst with Buckingham Research Group, said tariffs, “are an incremental negative for travel demand,” and noted United Airlines, which has far more China capacity than American Airlines and Delta Air Lines, with flights to Chengdu, Beijing and Shanghai, could be most at risk among U.S. airlines. Officials at Chicago-based United could not be reached for comment.

U.S. airline stocks took a hit Thursday, though most did not fall as much as the broader Dow Jones Industrial Average, which dropped more than 700 points, or nearly 3 percent.

These 3 airlines to suffer most from growing trade dispute, analyst says
Shares of the Big 3 airlines fell Tuesday after Deutsche Bank downgraded them, citing concerns over heightened geopolitical risks, highlighted by the growing trade dispute.

“The possibility that the current trade dispute between the U.S. and its global partners could become something bigger is problematic for the industry’s top line given how closely correlated it is to imports and exports of goods and services,” Linenberg wrote in a note to clients. “Furthermore, the growing trade dispute may cause U.S. companies to reconsider their [capital expenditure] and employment plans, which would adversely impact corporate travel.”

I hear ya, but I doubt UA is "giving seats away". When the latest monthly traffic reports are showing double digit YoY traffic gains, I think the fear is a little overblown.

China traffic is has been struggling the past two years from the Chinese airlines thowing tons of capacity into the market. COULD a trade war lead to a traffic downturn? Sure. Will it? We'll see.

I do agree more from a fuel cost standpoint, but Q2 results are a week away and there has been no indication from UA that they won't hit their revenue and profit forcasts. I take that as a positive sign.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

FlyingSicilian

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:48 am

questions wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

I have no problem with a *small* family traveling with toddlers boarding before me when I’m traveling in First. And I especially feel for a single parent traveling with toddlers. Absolutely give them some extra time before the masses board.

What I do not like is when ONE child under two provides early boarding privaleges for three teenage siblings, two aunts, an uncle, a great aunt, four cousins, and the husband’s ex wife and their three college age children.

I do not disagree, and I travelled with my "Irish twins" for a couple of years with a stroller in tow, though I had status and would early board anyway. Fly any flight to PBI and watch the ten wheelchairs that pre-board become four that actually need pick-up LOL I have platinum with AA also and many in my family have Exec Plat but I can say I prefer the way UA boards to AA. I cannot speak to DL as I do not fly them that often when stateside. WN is its own animal but I digress.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

739er

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 am

Last edited by 739er on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

739er

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:42 am

“Seriously. Im 1K and fly first class much of the time. Ill gladly let those with children and disabilities board first. They have way more to deal with than I do.”

Wow!....A classy post on a.net. And on a UA thread no doubt!...What a refreshing change.

N505fx

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:34 pm

mm320cap wrote:
N505fx wrote:
mm320cap wrote:

Oscar is the best thing to happen to this airline in decades. Your opinion of him is based on, what, exactly? Mine is based on 24 years of being a pilot here and about 6 CEO’s

Best of the worst then... proof is in the pudding. He has been at the helm for 3 years, United's public image is at its all time low, the product still lags, the financial performance is mediocre, the board has stripped him of his chairman duties, he had to bring in someone who actually knows the airline industry to do a majority of the tasks that should be in his stead, CORE 4 is an absolute half assed joke, his management team lasts about as long a gnats lifespan, he's botched investor calls, he's botched PR situations....should I go on with how ineffective he is? If he is the greatest UAL has had....why doesn't that reflect? Granted, compared to Glenn, Jim, Jack, Steven, Jeff he's better....but I would hardly call any of those the high water mark of good CEOs. BTW...did you see his "performance" in the congressional hearings? "Scott? Scott? Scott???? Scott! Can you answer the questions? Scott!! I think I poopooed my pants, Scott?!?!?"

As I said, and you agreed with, Oscar is the best thing that’s happened to this airline in decades. You listed the reasons (previous CEO’s) why. Greenwald wasn’t bad, but he’s HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than anyone else we’ve had since I’ve been here. Creighton was fine - nice guy, but he was just there because no one else would take the job.

What Oscar has done is give the employees hope. The sense that someone FINALLY is there to do something other than cash a paycheck. He actually listens to what his people have to say, and he makes us feel valued. That’s priceless. Don’t care how he sounds to congress or investor calls. For FAR too long this airline has been run for the short term stock price.

Obviously United isn’t perfect, but the pulse at the airline changed 180 degrees when Oscar took over for Jeff. Couldn’t care less whether you like him or think he’s doing a good job or not. He’s earned my loyalty and respect. To me, as an employee, THAT’s how you measure a CEO. The operational and financial performance has been trending consistently up since he’s taken the helm. It takes a lot to undo the Jeff.

Actually, THAT is not the CEO's job, I am glad he makes you feel better. However that isn't what he is there for....and you can ignore his fumbles...many of them, but those fumbles are core competencies he needs as a CEO. The fact is he hasn't been able to harness the earning potential of the company in 3 years...in other industries, or other companies at least, he would be out on his ear. Maybe they should make him head of HR or labor relations and get someone with airline and leadership experience to unlock the true potential of United.

Super80Fan

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:40 pm

questions wrote:
UA’s Next New Thing?

1. Finish what it has started
- completing all aspects of the Polaris rollout
- energizing and re-engaging the workforce
- improving the passenger experience

2. Fire Scott Kirby

Agree agree agree, especially with #2. Hoping #2 leads to all points in #1.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Chemist

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 am

1 - Better customer service
2 - Improve workflorce morale
3 - Better customer service
4 - More mainline rather than CRJs/ERJs
5 - Better customer service

ricport

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:08 pm

xxcr wrote:
MCIRNO wrote:
questions wrote:
United will always board families w/children, the elder, military before Global service and group 1! almost all airlines do this. UA values you by giving you Group 1.....just saying. You're making yourself sound like an over entitled passenger who thinks everything revolves around you.

OK, I'll go out on the limb here... I don't think anyone is questioning letting the disabled and families w/appropriately-aged children board first. Although I think that one easy way to solve the "Is your kid too old for special treatment" issue is to simply print some kind of code (similar to TSA Pre) on the boarding pass, or make families go to the gate counter & show proof of age & get some kind of ticket/pass to board early.

It's the other groups that board before F that are the issue. It isn't about "entitlement;" it's about getting what you paid for. If you pay the premium for F (as I often do), then part of that should be the ability to board immediately after the disabled/families. Lump the military & F pax in the next group, and then board diamond/ruby/emerald/sapphire/platinum/boron/zirconium/krypton after that.

MCIRNO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

ricport wrote:
xxcr wrote:
MCIRNO wrote:

OK, I'll go out on the limb here... I don't think anyone is questioning letting the disabled and families w/appropriately-aged children board first. Although I think that one easy way to solve the "Is your kid too old for special treatment" issue is to simply print some kind of code (similar to TSA Pre) on the boarding pass, or make families go to the gate counter & show proof of age & get some kind of ticket/pass to board early.

It's the other groups that board before F that are the issue. It isn't about "entitlement;" it's about getting what you paid for. If you pay the premium for F (as I often do), then part of that should be the ability to board immediately after the disabled/families. Lump the military & F pax in the next group, and then board diamond/ruby/emerald/sapphire/platinum/boron/zirconium/krypton after that.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was originally questioning because of my observation. I never said I had any issue with UA (or any airline) boarding disabled or elderly passengers first. However, my main reason to bring this up is exactly what ricport stated: it's everyone else UA boards before their Group 1. However, I would go further and add that families could go later and do on other airlines.

For example, WN. They have their 'Family Boarding' between Groups A and B. To me, that makes a ton of sense, on one hand they are taking care of their A-List and Business Select passengers, who fly them often and pay them lots of $$$$, and on the other, families have a set time to board. As you all know, WN has little trouble turning around aircraft so their system works very well.

Going back to my main point: UA has a image problem and they need to keep the ones who often fly them and pay them premium fares as happy as possible. One very simple area they could do this is by making sure those relatively few passengers feel in every aspect of their trip that UA cares about their business.