Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gtargui
Topic Author

7 hours in CDG, what should I do with my time.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 am

I'll be arriving at 16:35 from MAN and departing 23:35 to HKG. The consensus from Parisian friends I've talked to is a resounding "eh" when it comes to leaving the airport and going to the city centre for a short amount of time.
I know CDG is quite far from the city centre so I was wondering if anyone here has gone and seen the sights of Paris with a similar amount of time for a layover.
If I can't make it to the city centre what things can I do in CDG besides planespotting?

ChrisKen

Re: 7 hours in CDG, what should I do with my time.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:20 am

Just google 'cdg layover', plenty of options.

By the time you've allowed for getting out the airport after touchdown (45mins), getting into Paris (1hr), getting back (1hr), clearing security (30mins), finding & getting to your gate (30mins) plus your own 'buffer', you're not left with much time. If you're just wanting an hour's wander round then maybe, but to go in and see any 'sights', normally entails hours of queues.
RER express, (~10euros) - buy a return ticket to avoid long queues when heading back.
Personally I'd just find myself a nice spot at CDG to relax in. The centre is one massive tourist trap and the rest of Paris is essentially just like Beswick/Fallowfield/Cheetham Hill albeit with a different accent.

dstc47

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Not a lot of time, while the RER will take you downtown you wont have much time for sightseeing.

If you do decide to wander out of CDG, be sure to check in advance regarding any on-going industrial action on the rail system, including the RER, operating at restricted service levels.

readytotaxi

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Keep a count of the number of times someone is rude to you. :duck:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

johns624

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Kill yourself...kidding. It may take you that long to get from gate to gate if they're at opposite ends of the airport.

VSMUT

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 pm

gtargui wrote:
If I can't make it to the city centre what things can I do in CDG besides planespotting?

There's the Aeroville shopping centre over towards Roissy, if you fancy that sort of stuff. At the very least, you can stretch your legs and have some lunch there.

IPFreely

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:33 am

Sounds like torture. Maybe go gate-to-gate and thank employees for not striking, assuming they're not on strike that day.

airbazar

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Similar thing happened to me on the way back from India but I arrived early in the morning and departed in the afternoon to the U.S.
IIRC, my flight from India arrived around 8am and flight to U.S. departed around 4pm. It's about a 40 min direct train ride to Saint-Michel-Notre-Dame, i think. Really easy. I went in, walked around (it's right at the Notre Dame Cathedral), had lunch at bistro in the area, relaxed, then hopped on the train back to the airport. It sure beats hanging around the airport for hours.

Chemist

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Sounds like torture. Maybe go gate-to-gate and thank employees for not striking, assuming they're not on strike that day.

That's not even a joke.
My family was in Paris a couple summers ago and we were leaving on a day where there was a general strike for transport workers. We didn't know that when we tried to make a reservation for a car to the airport with our hotel. The hotel clerk's eyebrows raised up in surprise. No taxis were running that day, and no car shuttles to the airport.

We ended up going on the subway to the train station. The subway did not have any attendants working at it and our US credit card didn't work in the machines which had long lines. We ended up illegally sneaking in through a stroller exit, as we were running out of time to get to our flight, and were desperate. The trains were running slow. We rode the subway to a station (I think Gare Du Nord) and changed trains.

Once at CDG we needed a *ticket* to exit which of course we did not have! My family followed people through the little double gate "airlock" but I had the huge roller bag (of my wife's) and I got stuck following somebody through the airlock. I was stuck between two gates with no way out. With a security camera pointed right at my face I handed the large roller bag over the gate. With my son yelling "suck it up, dad!", I then barely squeezed between the cracks of the gate, all on camera. Luckily nobody was working transit so I never got caught. We hightailed it to our airport gate to get the heck out of there.

aeromoe

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 pm

What's wrong with hanging around the airport and plane watching? This is an airliners site afterall...
Flown: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

DocLightning

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 pm

CDG has a lot of glass and some pretty good spotting. It's otherwise a dreadful mess of an airport.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

asuflyer05

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:21 pm

I have a 5 hour layover at CDG coming up. I booked a room at the YOTELAIR for a few hours so I could shower and catch a quick nap.

https://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/paris-charles-de-gaulle-airport

FCOTSTW

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:15 pm

I would not recommend going downtown. Even if you manage it to do it, you would have to do it with your hand luggage as leaving your stuff in a locket would steal more precious time.

My strong suggestion is to take it easy and go to the Yotel airside at CDG (gates L). you can get a daytime room, relax, take a shower, eat and get ready for your next flight. Daytime price is about € 62 for 4 hours or more. http://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/paris-ch ... le-airport

FCOTSTW

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 pm

asuflyer05 wrote:
I have a 5 hour layover at CDG coming up. I booked a room at the YOTELAIR for a few hours so I could shower and catch a quick nap.

https://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/paris-charles-de-gaulle-airport

Just realized that I posted an answer identical to yours that I cannot delete. Sorry buddy.