wnflyguy
Topic Author

Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 pm

Just saw on the local news Southwest is officially going Peanut free on August 1 2018!

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

PlanesNTrains

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 pm

I hope they replace it with hot tapas and sushi. :-)
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

Pretzels only on short flights.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

smokeybandit

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Are they getting rid of pretzels too due to gluten allergies?

knope2001

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

Nice one!!

flyiguy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Pretty sure I said that a few weeks ago and people were like no, it can’t be true!
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

alasizon

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Truly disappointing, in part because a lot of people like the peanuts (I get the allergy concern/issue) and second because we are all so sick of pretzels, everyone already does them.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Varsity1

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Pretzels taste like salted cardboard.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Varsity1

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 pm

Seabear wrote:
So what's left? Nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, cage-free, cruelty-free...water.

Now offering all-natural air in the cabin, a rare variety of 78% nitrogen!
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Seabear

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:34 pm

So what's left? Nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, cage-free, cruelty-free...water.

ual763

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 pm

For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.
From flying to the NOTAM office

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 pm

ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.

I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

BobbyPSP

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Just a few facts: peanut allergy can be triggered by folks eating peanuts nearby. For most folks this can cause a severe reaction: anaphylactic shock.

Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) which I have is an autoimmune response. I'm in no danger from folks eating things like bread next to me. And if i were exposed to wheat/rye/barley, I stil would not be in life/death danger situation.

It's probably getting to the point, for southwest, that too many folks are claiming allergies .

I will sat this, last Feb flying WN to SEA I was offered a large belvita snack. I politely said I cannot eat it and thank you when the FA offered me peanuts. She understood. Thought it was quite nice.

piedmontf284000

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:53 pm

I wonder if part of this is due to over abuse of those utilizing "peanut allergy" to pre board early. Those with peanut allergies contend that they need extra time to wipe the peanut dust from the surrounding seats & trays. Also pretzels cost much less than peanuts...so there's that too.

WNCrew

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm

..it's a bag of 10 nuts... 10. It's served on our shorter segments along with a full service, by-hand (which most others don't offer) and on longer flights there's always a free snack or snackS from which to choose. I don't eat any of it, I bring my own.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

malev2012

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:56 pm

I did search of twitter "southwest peanuts" ...nothing. I feel this would get more attention. Anyone able to post some links to news stories?
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, CO, DL, DY, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

santi319

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Ha, and its funny how other airlines dont even accomodate passengers with peanut allergy..... I mean youre in the airport, mall, shuttle bus and nothing happens unless they literally put it in your face..... it all bs

cathay747

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

ual763 wrote:

My dear fellow, your post was pleasing beyond all proportion, I'm so glad somebody said this.

I'll double what another response said above...I get the allergy thing, but come on. Now, I have no allergies, food or otherwise (thankfully) so I can't speak to this terribly well, but do you seriously mean to tell me that if I open a bag of peanuts next to a seatmate who's allergic to them, they're going to break out in an allergic attack? Unless they steal some of mine while I'm not looking, or lick my fingers, I don't understand how somebody could have any reaction without actually consuming the thing they're allergic to. OK or touching it. Neither seems likely. So yes...read labels, be aware of what you could possibly be about to consume, and if you have such severe food allergies, then for God's sake, as ual763 said, you carry a freaking epi-pen, because an accident can always happen.

Pretzels are fine with me. What about Chex Mix? Oh...wait...somebody's probably allergic to that as well. Well then everybody just has to starve!
Try a Little VC-10derness

gatibosgru

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

I like salty pretzels over peanuts, so yay for me. I still prefer Biscoffs though.
@DadCelo

cathay747

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.

Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?
Try a Little VC-10derness

gatibosgru

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 pm

cathay747 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?

It's a win win for everyone but the people who like peanuts. And I think the bigger fuss is coming (at least on this thread) from those complaining about the change.

Southwest wins:

Lower liability
Lower cost

Pax wins:

Still get a snack
If you have sensitivity or allergy to peanuts you'll be flying more comfortably (it's not all about death, allergy reactions come in a variety of ways).
If you're not allergic/sensitive then your quality of flight changes in no way (you can still bring your own peanuts as an extra snack if you'd like).

Overall a small change that can make the lives of some flyers a little more comfortable and safe while limiting Southwest's liability.

Sounds like people are more upset a change is being made to accommodate others than because they'll actually miss the peanuts?
Last edited by gatibosgru on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DadCelo

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 pm

cathay747 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I think the difference is one is protecting one from their own stupidity while the other is [theoretically] preventing someone else's food causing someone harm. I won't argue it one way or the other, as there are differing viewpoints on this. However, while I listed liability as one likely reason to do it, the reality is that peanut allergies aren't something to mess around with, and when you are elbow to elbow with a seatmate popping them in the air (or residue on your tray table, etc), then perhaps it's at least understandable why an airline might choose to go this route.

I like peanuts. I don't like cow-towing to every individual need. I just think that, as things go, this one is probably fairly understandable from a health and liability standpoint.
-Dave

Newark727

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Peanut allergies are nothing to mess around with. In this case I think the reduced risk to peanut allergy sufferers vastly outweighs the minor inconvenience of one less snack option aboard your flight.

Utah744

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 pm

NUTS!
You are never too old to learn something stupid

Newark727

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Whoa, PlanesNTrains came up with the exact same phrasing I did while I was typing... freaky.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I think the difference is one is protecting one from their own stupidity while the other is [theoretically] preventing someone else's food causing someone harm. I won't argue it one way or the other, as there are differing viewpoints on this. However, while I listed liability as one likely reason to do it, the reality is that peanut allergies aren't something to mess around with, and when you are elbow to elbow with a seatmate popping them in the air (or residue on your tray table, etc), then perhaps it's at least understandable why an airline might choose to go this route.

I like peanuts. I don't like cow-towing to every individual need. I just think that, as things go, this one is probably fairly understandable from a health and liability standpoint.

Just a sidenote, I was employed back in the 80's at a quick serve that had cocoa packets for employees to use but it wasn't on the menu. If someone requested cocoa, we'd just charge them for coffee and mix the packet with the same water we used for coffee. Well, of course, someone requested it, spilled it in their lap, then sued us, saying it wasn't on the menu so we shouldn't have served it to them. Well, you asked for it, didn't you? Hot Cocoa? Anyhow, I just add that to say that I get how lawsuits and litigation has a nasty dark side. However, it's the world we live in.
-Dave

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:25 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
I wonder if part of this is due to over abuse of those utilizing "peanut allergy" to pre board early. Those with peanut allergies contend that they need extra time to wipe the peanut dust from the surrounding seats & trays. Also pretzels cost much less than peanuts...so there's that too.

I'm waiting for the WNPR spin on this.
But I definitely think it has to do with everything you said vs being safer for Nut allergies.
Been rumored for about 3 months they were going away. Preboarding for a nut allergy will
Probably still happen until all the aircraft go through several months of standard overnight cleaning. And feel the aircraft are peanut dust free.
I'm gonna guess sometime in the spring 2019 they will adjust no more preboarding for nut allergies.

General response I've heard From flight crews is there glad to be done with them.

Flyguy

Super80Fan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Can we bring Herb, Colleen, and the old WN FA's back please? I don't like the direction this company is headed. Delta is starting to look better and better (and they serve almonds!)
RIP McDonnell Douglas

jimatkins

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 pm

I had a student a few years ago, severely allergic to peanuts. We had to learn how to use an epi-pen, spot symptoms, all that stuff. If somebody had eaten peanut butter, touched a desk, and this kid put his arm down on the barely oily place, it could kill him. This isn't a politically correct fad, it's life and death. Admittedly it's rare, but a person can die pretty quickly from anaphylactic shock.

Seabear

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Omfg, maybe they should just give out Tide Pods.

DarthLobster

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Just saw on the local news Southwest is officially going Peanut free on August 1 2018!

Why are you so happy about this?

FriscoHeavy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:00 pm

This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago? Such a bunch of pansies these days. Grrrr.

Shame on you WN for caving to such BS.
Whatever

rajincajun01

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:01 pm

If your peanut allergy is that big of an issue, don’t choose the one airline that serves peanuts. It’s pretty simple. It’s not like WN is the only carrier at many airports.

freakyrat

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:03 pm

They should servev the little KIND bar snacks that Delta does. Maybe Biscoff's.
Last edited by freakyrat on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0ssy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm

I wonder what the statistics are for nut related allergy related incidents on aircraft per airline, per year. They must have data that backs up a decision like this.

Super80Fan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm

This is already starting a bad precedence, I'm already seeing people calling for gluten free pretzels/snacks on top of this.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

LAXPAX

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 pm

We're Nuts!

(Nuts not included)
"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

chicawgo

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:15 pm

I was on DL Shuttle ORD-LGA a few weeks ago in paid F and they had a choice of crab cakes or chicken with pasta. I heard a commotion at front of F cabin but didn't think much of it. FA then came around to everyone that ordered the crab cakes (including me) and said that there was an unknown shellfish allergy onboard and the pilot made the decision to not serve the crabcakes. That meant half of F got no food. Now you may say "first world problem," but I was in paid F and I specifically bought it so I could get to the airport last minute and know I was going to get dinner. The FA's did an amazing job with a very difficult situation (can you imagine having to go around to half of F and tell them they're not getting any food?) and offered as much of the snack basket as they could.

If you're wondering, the "shellfish allergy" ordered the chicken and ate every bite.

spinotter

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

In your dreams. Those are not the culinary choices of the cattle car crowd.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:17 pm

A National Institutes of Health study puts the incidence of peanut allergy at about 1% of the population. (That's not to say 1% of people will die from peanut exposure.) But, when you've got 158 million enplaned passengers annually, 1% is a big number.

WNCrew

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 pm

spinotter wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

In your dreams. Those are not the culinary choices of the cattle car crowd.

...yes, the cattle car, which when compared to other major US carriers' domestic coach product, still manages FREE snacks, more legroom than AA, AS, DL or UA, and free bags. Not to mention much more organized boarding process. But sure... cattle car...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

spinotter

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:24 pm

ual763 wrote:

This is a potentially life-threatening situation for those with severe peanut allergy, and you see it as punishment. Other passengers should be courteous enough not to bring peanuts on board. Your missing peanuts for a six-hour flight maximum is going to ruin your life? Give me a break.

picarus

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:26 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago? Such a bunch of pansies these days. Grrrr.

The level of ‘compassion’ on this board gives me hope for humanity—not. The fact is the largest percentage of anaphylactic peanut and nut allergies affect children, with those and percentages growing each year. For those so put out by the removal of peanuts from Southwest, I strongly suggest you visit a pediatric E/R to get a different perspective. For many, they are unaware they have a food allergy, or they just may not have reached the tipping point to push them into anaphylaxis.

Any medical professsional on this board care to comment on how critical it is to administer epinephrine and transport to a hospital immediately? I don’t think anyone with a food allergy sees it as a way to “beat the system” and board early for some so-called coveted seat. I’m thinking they just want to stay alive.

Seriously people...you’re messed up if you think anything else.

Picarus

Super80Fan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 pm

spinotter wrote:
ual763 wrote:

This is a potentially life-threatening situation for those with severe peanut allergy, and you see it as punishment. Other passengers should be courteous enough not to bring peanuts on board. Your missing peanuts for a six-hour flight maximum is going to ruin your life? Give me a break.

I had peanut allergies for many years until I fortunately was able to outgrow them. When I was allergic, I took proper precaution on my own, sitting on my own at lunch, bringing my own food with me to places, and avoiding places that served them such as Southwest flights or eating at Five Guys. It's called personal responsibility. I will now be buying and consuming peanuts on every WN flight I take from here on out in protest.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

WNCrew

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I will now be buying and consuming peanuts on every WN flight I take from here on out in protest.

Your American maturity is showing...

Seriously?

Planesmart

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Decades ago when my children were kids, we were on holiday, on the beach, a dozen strides away from an unrelated family.

We heard screams, and found a toddler appeared to be having an epileptic fit.

Luckily there was a doctor in earshot, who had a medical bag in their car, while someone else ran off to phone for an ambulance (yes, BM - before mobiles).

The doctor was initially unsure whether the reaction was to a sting or something else.

Long story short, turned out the parents were unaware the child was allergic to peanuts. Toddler had been playing with a completely unrelated child eating a peanut sandwich, which might / might not have been sampled.

It could just have easily been one of our own children, so my wife and I decided that very day to enroll on first aid courses, as have our now adult children.

We are blessed with children and grandchildren who do not appear to be allergic to peanuts. We have had a grandchild allergic to dairy products, who required a visit to intensive care before medics realised it was more than an asthma attack.

Shame on those, who are clearly not parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts, who have such a cavalier attitude to those unlucky enough to be afflicted with an allergy, especially if not diagnosed.

The Southwest decision will also protect staff.

On a lighter note, I'm sure KE staff will be hoping their employer also adopts a peanuts-free workplace!

Freshside3

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:33 pm

The reasons why peanuts were there to begin with, is that they are a cheap snack. Would walnuts, almonds, or macadamias be a hazard to anyone??

spinotter

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
spinotter wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I had peanut allergies for many years until I fortunately was able to outgrow them. When I was allergic, I took proper precaution on my own, sitting on my own at lunch, bringing my own food with me to places, and avoiding places that served them such as Southwest flights or eating at Five Guys. It's called personal responsibility. I will now be buying and consuming peanuts on every WN flight I take from here on out in protest.

But what about other people, who still have peanut allergies and some much worse than yours - life-threatening in fact? You seem like an example of the Stockholm syndrome, going over to the enemy - in this case peanuts. Very strange.

chicawgo

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
A National Institutes of Health study puts the incidence of peanut allergy at about 1% of the population. (That's not to say 1% of people will die from peanut exposure.) But, when you've got 158 million enplaned passengers annually, 1% is a big number.

I know I'm gonna get excoriated for this but...

Pretty much nothing else in our society works that way except maybe ADA compliance. Taking fairly drastic measures to accommodate 1% of the population is not practical. What percentage of the population has heart disease? Prone to deep leg thrombosis? Or thousands of other issues that put people at a higher risk of danger on an airplane? Those are much more common than severe peanut allergy but no one is banning them from flying. The whole peanut allergy thing is blown out of proportion because of its unusually severe nature and prevalence in the media. This reminds me of shark attacks. About 10 people on Earth die from sharks every year yet each one is a huge international story. Meanwhile, 40,000 people die in car accidents every year in the US alone... but <crickets>. Maybe we should start allocating more funds to shark attack protection and prevention.

Planesmart

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:38 pm

picarus wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

The level of ‘compassion’ on this board gives me hope for humanity—not. The fact is the largest percentage of anaphylactic peanut and nut allergies affect children, with those and percentages growing each year. For those so put out by the removal of peanuts from Southwest, I strongly suggest you visit a pediatric E/R to get a different perspective. For many, they are unaware they have a food allergy, or they just may not have reached the tipping point to push them into anaphylaxis.

Any medical professsional on this board care to comment on how critical it is to administer epinephrine and transport to a hospital immediately? I don’t think anyone with a food allergy sees it as a way to “beat the system” and board early for some so-called coveted seat. I’m thinking they just want to stay alive.

Seriously people...you’re messed up if you think anything else.

Picarus

Agree Picarus.

I would like to think most on here are grumpy and old, so not going to be around too much longer, but suspect quite the opposite is true, so despair at the future.