Super80Fan

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Planesmart wrote:
picarus wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago? Such a bunch of pansies these days. Grrrr.

Shame on you WN for caving to such BS.

The level of ‘compassion’ on this board gives me hope for humanity—not. The fact is the largest percentage of anaphylactic peanut and nut allergies affect children, with those and percentages growing each year. For those so put out by the removal of peanuts from Southwest, I strongly suggest you visit a pediatric E/R to get a different perspective. For many, they are unaware they have a food allergy, or they just may not have reached the tipping point to push them into anaphylaxis.

Any medical professsional on this board care to comment on how critical it is to administer epinephrine and transport to a hospital immediately? I don’t think anyone with a food allergy sees it as a way to “beat the system” and board early for some so-called coveted seat. I’m thinking they just want to stay alive.

Seriously people...you’re messed up if you think anything else.

Picarus

Agree Picarus.

I would like to think most on here are grumpy and old, so not going to be around too much longer, but suspect quite the opposite is true, so despair at the future.

Oh no, I am young, healthy, and more than willing to eat my own peanuts/nuts on every WN flight from here on out.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

speedbird52

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 pm

cathay747 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.

I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.

Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?

I assume you are referring to Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants. The McDonalds Coffee was served at 190 degrees Fahrenheit. Liebeck suffered 3rd degree burns on 6% of her skin, and 16% of her skin was covered in less serious burns. After hospitalization which cost $30,000, she had lost 20% of her body weight, and her daughter had lost $5,000 in income as a result of caring for her mother. McDonnalds offered $800 in compensation. Before passing judgement, maybe read the stories about people opening packages of peanuts while sitting next to people with life threatening allergies and nearly killing them.
"I have control" Three Words That Could Have Saved Lives.

speedbird52

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Planesmart wrote:
picarus wrote:

The level of ‘compassion’ on this board gives me hope for humanity—not. The fact is the largest percentage of anaphylactic peanut and nut allergies affect children, with those and percentages growing each year. For those so put out by the removal of peanuts from Southwest, I strongly suggest you visit a pediatric E/R to get a different perspective. For many, they are unaware they have a food allergy, or they just may not have reached the tipping point to push them into anaphylaxis.

Any medical professsional on this board care to comment on how critical it is to administer epinephrine and transport to a hospital immediately? I don’t think anyone with a food allergy sees it as a way to “beat the system” and board early for some so-called coveted seat. I’m thinking they just want to stay alive.

Picarus

Agree Picarus.

I would like to think most on here are grumpy and old, so not going to be around too much longer, but suspect quite the opposite is true, so despair at the future.

Oh no, I am young, healthy, and more than willing to eat my own peanuts/nuts on every WN flight from here on out.

Well then if the person next to you tells you that they are allergic to nuts, make sure you don't open them. If you do, then I wholeheartedly pray and hope that you spend the rest of your life in jail on manslaughter

speedbird52

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 pm

Planesmart wrote:
picarus wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago? Such a bunch of pansies these days. Grrrr.

Picarus

Agree Picarus.

Aviation has a tendency to attract the crowd that were brainwashed in the school system by Ayn Rands free books. Hence the people referring to an overweight person suffering severe nausea in a flight as a "chunky monkey", laughing as a man has his head slammed into an armrest for simply refusing to deboard a plane he had the legal right to be on, and the people who simply do not care about others suffering. These people feel no empathy, and will only show compassion when they feel it benefits them socially. I would like to think they are a dying species, but I have seen a disturbingly high number of young people behave like them. Pretty, kind and caring on the outside, but behind the mask of a keyboard letting out their true nature

Super80Fan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Planesmart wrote:
Agree Picarus.

Well then if the person next to you tells you that they are allergic to nuts, make sure you don't open them. If you do, then I wholeheartedly pray and hope that you spend the rest of your life in jail on manslaughter

If you can cite for the a federal/state/county law that outlaws eating peanuts/nuts I will gladly go turn myself in to my local police station on conspiracy to commit murder. Thanks!
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 pm

sUnfortunately in this day and age, the 'fleas are owning the dog' when it comes to this stuff. Reality is only 150-200 people die in the US each year because of food allergies, even less from peanuts. More people get hit by lightening each year than die from peanuts or get killed walking across the street on the 3rd Tuesday of every month..
But until we quit trying to accommodate every interest group, this will continue. So the majority, and given these small numbers, the overwhelming majority will continue to be disadvantaged because someone yelled louder than them. Enough with this trying to accommodate each and every individual. At some point common sense will return.

ltbewr

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 am

Here may be another reason for ditching peanuts: the costs to WN to divert if someone does have a reaction to bring them to a doctor or a hospital.

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:12 am

BobbyPSP wrote:
Just a few facts: peanut allergy can be triggered by folks eating peanuts nearby. For most folks this can cause a severe reaction: anaphylactic shock.

Paging DocLightning! Where are you when we need you?? :duck:

I recall a similar thread from a few years ago, where Doc (paraphrasing, here) said there have been no documented cases of anyone having an allergic reaction to peanuts without coming in direct physical contact with them; just being nearby was not enough.

There were, however, reports of people complaining of allergic reactions once they were told they were in close proximity to peanuts, however.

Doc, can you correct me if I'm quoting your source incorrectly?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Antarius

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:13 am

speedbird52 wrote:

If someone nearby is allergic and asks me to refrain, I'd be happy to do so. That is totally different from banning them altogether. Same issue at a Baseball game - someone may be allergic.. if they ask, you can oblige but do we stop it there too?

This has nothing to do with empathy or whatever the soap box is. It is a level of reasonableness that we can apply to society. This is on the path of the anti-alcohol-on-flight people due to a handful of rage incidents or the hasidic crowd on El Al refusing to sit next to women.

Extrapolating based on an overfit data set is a bad bad idea.
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

airliner371

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Planesmart wrote:
picarus wrote:

Picarus

Agree Picarus.

I'm gonna bet that you likely never have peanuts on another Southwest flight again. Unless you're that against the system that you go out of your way to bring nuts, in which case I can think of a few names to call you...

I'm all for going against the man, but some of you are just ridiculous... :)

Can't blame you though, from the dawn of Southwest until now your fare has included 10 peanuts... kind of like bags on most carriers, you're now paying the same price for 10 fewer peanuts... sucks for those who like a good bang for their buck! :dollarsign: :bouncy:

#peanutgate #boycottSouthwest #notreally
Last edited by airliner371 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYPECO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:26 am

smokeybandit wrote:
Are they getting rid of pretzels too due to gluten allergies?

Seabear wrote:
So what's left? Nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, cage-free, cruelty-free...water.

Gluten allergies are not as severe as nut allergies when someone comes in contact with them.

flyingclrs727

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 am

Their walk up fares haven't been peanuts for years.

boeing737max

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 am

ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.

As someone with a nut allergy, I was dissapointed and suprised of WN serving nuts as a snack on my recent first flight with them. As a UA Frequent Flier, the pretzels and waffle cookies are great. Us with nut allergies appreciate a company recognizing allergy concerns for the safety of their passengers. With much of airline industry in dire need for improved customer relations, little tweaks like these could certainly help such relations in a positive manner.

speedbird52

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 am

Super80Fan wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

If you can cite for the a federal/state/county law that outlaws eating peanuts/nuts I will gladly go turn myself in to my local police station on conspiracy to commit murder. Thanks!

I can cite a federal law that says it is illegal to kill a human even if you had no malice of forethought. It is a very serious possibility that you could kill someone by opening a bag of nuts in their vicinity.
"(a) Manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice. It is of two kinds:

Voluntary—Upon a sudden quarrel or heat of passion.

Involuntary—In the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to a felony, or in the commission in an unlawful manner, or without due caution and circumspection, of a lawful act which might produce death.
(b) Within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States,

Whoever is guilty of voluntary manslaughter, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 15 years, or both;

Whoever is guilty of involuntary manslaughter, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 756; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXII, § 320102, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2109, 2147; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, § 604(b)(13), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3507; Pub. L. 110–177, title II, § 207, Jan. 7, 2008, 121 Stat. 2538.)"

Super80Fan

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 am

I'll take those chances. Unless my jury is made up of people who have children with peanut allergies I'll be off scott free and celebrate with a package of peanut M&M's.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

speedbird52

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 am

Antarius wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

If someone nearby is allergic and asks me to refrain, I'd be happy to do so. That is totally different from banning them altogether. Same issue at a Baseball game - someone may be allergic.. if they ask, you can oblige but do we stop it there too?

This has nothing to do with empathy or whatever the soap box is. It is a level of reasonableness that we can apply to society. This is on the path of the anti-alcohol-on-flight people due to a handful of rage incidents or the hasidic crowd on El Al refusing to sit next to women.

Extrapolating based on an overfit data set is a bad bad idea.

Unfortunately not everyone shares your common decency: https://www.allergicliving.com/2014/08/ ... incidents/

lightsaber

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 am

Nuts!
For the record, about 2/3rds of the kids with peanut allergies have helicopter parents that don't understand peanuts oil spread on a face causes a rash and even plugs pores (zits).

For the third that have the alrrgy, we need to figure out what is going wrong.

Famine in Africa, we fly in peanut paste, number of allergic reactions to date: zero (sister is an allergist on a committee that investigated).

I remember in 4th grade one kid had the allergy and that was just elementary school Armageddon to have a classroom peanut free for all lunches.

Sigh.. as I look over at my empty 3lb box of peanut snacks. :spit:.

Well... Sunflower butter isn't that bad...
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

F27500

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 am

Its got NOTHINGGG to do with "providing a peanut-free environment for our customers" as it does that nuts cost more than the same 10 stinkin pretzel nuggets in the pretzel bags.
P
What are they gonna do if 15 people bring giant PB&J sandwiches on board? Hmmmm? Plane gonna REEK of peanuts and u know they won't say anything. So lets stop getting so excited over this "no more peanuts on WN!! : thing, Wnflyguy.

32andBelow

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am

chicawgo wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
A National Institutes of Health study puts the incidence of peanut allergy at about 1% of the population. (That's not to say 1% of people will die from peanut exposure.) But, when you've got 158 million enplaned passengers annually, 1% is a big number.

I know I'm gonna get excoriated for this but...

Pretty much nothing else in our society works that way except maybe ADA compliance. Taking fairly drastic measures to accommodate 1% of the population is not practical. What percentage of the population has heart disease? Prone to deep leg thrombosis? Or thousands of other issues that put people at a higher risk of danger on an airplane? Those are much more common than severe peanut allergy but no one is banning them from flying. The whole peanut allergy thing is blown out of proportion because of its unusually severe nature and prevalence in the media. This reminds me of shark attacks. About 10 people on Earth die from sharks every year yet each one is a huge international story. Meanwhile, 40,000 people die in car accidents every year in the US alone... but <crickets>. Maybe we should start allocating more funds to shark attack protection and prevention.

It’s just such an easy thing to do and such a non issue. The fact that grown adults are crying they won’t get 7 peanuts on their flights is absolutely outrageous.

Judge1310

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:55 am

So much conjecture on this board/topic with few actually asking questions to gain more insight on the matter. With that, I'll give it a go...

As someone with intimate knowledge of SWA policies and way-of-thinking the getting rid of peanuts is, by and large, an elimination of people without PDA (Peanut Dust Allergy) claiming they have it for pre-boarding purposes. What the lot of you don't realise is that once a Customer with a PDA is on the aircraft, the cabin crew make an announcement indicating that that leg/flight will be a peanut free flight.

Basically put, as many people abuse the whole ESAN (Emotional Service Animal) and SVAN (Service Animal) codes, the incidences of PDA needing to preboard statistically weren't valid. High level FQTVs complained that even though they had a A boarding position, they were only able to board after many others who were considered "pre-board" (hey, wasn't someone else on this board complaining of this very thing?) and that the incentive to get Business Select or Early Bird was markedly diminished.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Airlines are damned if they do and damned if they don't and cannot be everything for everyone.

AUSisAWESOME

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 am

Growing up whenever my parents or grandparents flew Southwest they always kept the peanuts for me because I loved those Honey Roasted Peanuts so much. I still do... and will always associate Southwest with peanuts! Now I am glad I chose to fly Southwest on my trip on the 29th just to have those peanuts one last time. However as time goes on, so does the airline! Southwest still provides a lot for a US airline.
Upcoming flights: XNA-ATL-ZRH/DL ZRH-LHR LGW-DBV/BA DBV-ZRH/OU XNA-DFW-YYZ/AA TUL-HOU-BZE/WN

musman9853

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 am

cathay747 wrote:
ual763 wrote:

My dear fellow, your post was pleasing beyond all proportion, I'm so glad somebody said this.

I'll double what another response said above...I get the allergy thing, but come on. Now, I have no allergies, food or otherwise (thankfully) so I can't speak to this terribly well, but do you seriously mean to tell me that if I open a bag of peanuts next to a seatmate who's allergic to them, they're going to break out in an allergic attack? Unless they steal some of mine while I'm not looking, or lick my fingers, I don't understand how somebody could have any reaction without actually consuming the thing they're allergic to. OK or touching it. Neither seems likely. So yes...read labels, be aware of what you could possibly be about to consume, and if you have such severe food allergies, then for God's sake, as ual763 said, you carry a freaking epi-pen, because an accident can always happen.

Pretzels are fine with me. What about Chex Mix? Oh...wait...somebody's probably allergic to that as well. Well then everybody just has to starve!

Really? You can't imagine that someone might be able to get an allergic reaction by being near the object? How do you think pollen allergies work? I'd wager only a one or two people on this forum are doctors. everyone else should not make any medical claims.

Schweigend

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:08 am

Please forgive me; I could not help but post this image:

Who cannot adore Captain Peanut ?

FriscoHeavy wrote:

I agree with you, Frisco HVY.

It really is an unfortunate sign of our times. Parents have been shielding their children from various things that in previous generations they'd been exposed to, things which created immunity and made the kids stronger. The use of Purell and sanitizers these days is excessive, it seems to me.

My sister has four young children -- 12 yrs. old and less. She and her husband ensured that they all ran around barefoot, ate peanuts / peanut butter, and played in the dirt during their early years. This has made them stronger, and they have all turned out to be very resilient individuals who have no allergies and rarely get sick.

It's sad that WN must make this move, since peanuts (containing protein, fiber, good fats, and minerals) are much more nutritious than pretzels or other carbohydrate-based snacks.

WNCrew

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:

It's sad that WN must make this move, since peanuts (containing protein, fiber, good fats, and minerals) are much more nutritious than pretzels or other carbohydrate-based snacks.

...and yet.. overweight, out-of-shape, obese ( "but it's a disease"..) lazy, advertising sheep Americans continue to chose PopTarts, chips and soda... but yes, it's up to WN to keep people healthy with 10 peanuts. Please..
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

TheOldDude

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 am

BobbyPSP wrote:
Just a few facts: peanut allergy can be triggered by folks eating peanuts nearby. For most folks this can cause a severe reaction: anaphylactic shock.

Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) which I have is an autoimmune response. I'm in no danger from folks eating things like bread next to me. And if i were exposed to wheat/rye/barley, I stil would not be in life/death danger situation.

It's probably getting to the point, for southwest, that too many folks are claiming allergies .

I will sat this, last Feb flying WN to SEA I was offered a large belvita snack. I politely said I cannot eat it and thank you when the FA offered me peanuts. She understood. Thought it was quite nice.

As a fellow celiac, I abhor the constant conflating of celiac with allergies (e.g. gluten allergy) almost as much as I abhor people pontificating who have no clue.

AirCanada787

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 am

cathay747 wrote:
ual763 wrote:

My dear fellow, your post was pleasing beyond all proportion, I'm so glad somebody said this.

I'll double what another response said above...I get the allergy thing, but come on. Now, I have no allergies, food or otherwise (thankfully) so I can't speak to this terribly well, but do you seriously mean to tell me that if I open a bag of peanuts next to a seatmate who's allergic to them, they're going to break out in an allergic attack? Unless they steal some of mine while I'm not looking, or lick my fingers, I don't understand how somebody could have any reaction without actually consuming the thing they're allergic to. OK or touching it. Neither seems likely. So yes...read labels, be aware of what you could possibly be about to consume, and if you have such severe food allergies, then for God's sake, as ual763 said, you carry a freaking epi-pen, because an accident can always happen.

Pretzels are fine with me. What about Chex Mix? Oh...wait...somebody's probably allergic to that as well. Well then everybody just has to starve!

I have a coworker who walked in to an office where someone had just finished consuming nuts and they had a reaction to the peanut dust in the air. Some people can have serious reactions without even touching a peanut. Additionally some people can experience an immediate reaction and be treated for it and be fine and then hours or even a day later experience a second reaction without being exposed again to nuts. If someone where to experience a second reaction while still in flight they might not have a second epi-pen available with them.

With so many snack choices around hopefully Southwest can expand beyond just Pretzels however for the sake of passengers and variety.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

crj900lr

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am

WNCrew wrote:
..it's a bag of 10 nuts... 10. It's served on our shorter segments along with a full service, by-hand (which most others don't offer) and on longer flights there's always a free snack or snackS from which to choose. I don't eat any of it, I bring my own.

WN needs to bring back those snack boxes that they had many years ago. If I remember right it was a beef stick, one of those combo cracker and cheese things and I can't remember the third item in there, cookies maybe? Not the most nutritional things but they were sure good.

BobbyPSP

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am

EA CO AS wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:

Paging DocLightning! Where are you when we need you?? :duck:

I recall a similar thread from a few years ago, where Doc (paraphrasing, here) said there have been no documented cases of anyone having an allergic reaction to peanuts without coming in direct physical contact with them; just being nearby was not enough.

There were, however, reports of people complaining of allergic reactions once they were told they were in close proximity to peanuts, however.

Doc, can you correct me if I'm quoting your source incorrectly?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Peanut dust. And if someone highly allergic, one epipen might not be enough. I too was thinking Doc lightening!

NYPECO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 am

Schweigend wrote:
Please forgive me; I could not help but post this image:

Who cannot adore Captain Peanut ?

FriscoHeavy wrote:

I agree with you, Frisco HVY.

It really is an unfortunate sign of our times. Parents have been shielding their children from various things that in previous generations they'd been exposed to, things which created immunity and made the kids stronger. The use of Purell and sanitizers these days is excessive, it seems to me.

My sister has four young children -- 12 yrs. old and less. She and her husband ensured that they all ran around barefoot, ate peanuts / peanut butter, and played in the dirt during their early years. This has made them stronger, and they have all turned out to be very resilient individuals who have no allergies and rarely get sick.

"Shielding children from peanuts" has nothing to do with allergies. Many children are born with peanut allergies and don't find out until they eat them for the first time, have a reaction, and end up in the hospital. There isn't a long list of foods that you suddenly become allergic to because you never tried them.

PEK777

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:34 am

Bringing a large bag of peanuts on every flight from here on out. Snowflakes!

737max8

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 am

...I don't get why people care so much about peanuts. I could care less if they are on board or not.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

WNCrew

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 am

737max8 wrote:
...I don't get why people care so much about peanuts. I could care less if they are on board or not.

Theyyyy dont care about peanuts... they care about shoving their opinions, "rights", freedoms and opinions in people's faces more than they do about being thoughtful or kind. Nobody NEEDS peanuts when they fly... or EVER for that matter, and most of these people probably don't even eat peanuts normally, at least not enough to talk about it... but simply because someone else (be it corporately or privately) may have a need different than theirs, they feel the need to "teach them a lesson" by being obnoxious. THIS is what's wrong with our Country... self-entitled, loud, aggressive, rude people.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

crj900lr

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 am

737max8 wrote:

What you really need is a can of Deja Blue and a bag of Fritos, that will make you forget all about those peanuts.

Super80Fan

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 am

WNCrew wrote:
737max8 wrote:

Theyyyy dont care about peanuts... they care about shoving their opinions, "rights", freedoms and opinions in people's faces more than they do about being thoughtful or kind. Nobody NEEDS peanuts when they fly... or EVER for that matter, and most of these people probably don't even eat peanuts normally, at least not enough to talk about it... but simply because someone else (be it corporately or privately) may have a need different than theirs, they feel the need to "teach them a lesson" by being obnoxious. THIS is what's wrong with our Country... self-entitled, loud, aggressive, rude people.

Sigh, Herb would be disgusted someone like you is working for HIS company. Rollin King is rolling in his grave God rest his soul.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Prost

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 am

Pro/con peanuts. Is there a more first world problem than this debate?

lightsaber

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 am

Prost wrote:

:rotfl:
The allergy doesn't seem to happen in people who go hungry. errr....

Am I a bad person that this thread inspired me to buy 10 pounds of shelled and sea salted peanuts? It had nothing to do with them being on super sale and my children love them. ;)

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

Seabear

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 am

Prost wrote:

Yes. Starbucks getting rid of plastic straws. Is there no end to this madness?

Schweigend

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 am

WNCrew wrote:
...and yet.. overweight, out-of-shape, obese ( "but it's a disease"..) lazy, advertising sheep Americans continue to chose PopTarts, chips and soda... but yes, it's up to WN to keep people healthy with 10 peanuts. Please..

Yes, it is!

A top-calibre airline like WN should offer healthy snacks, even if it is 10 peanuts instead of 10 pretzels.

AirCanada787 wrote:
With so many snack choices around hopefully Southwest can expand beyond just Pretzels however for the sake of passengers and variety.

Good point.

Hopefully they will do so -- but Nuts are such a nicely concentrated and nutritious food --

Will WN still be able to offer other types of nuts to pax, excluding the problematic peanut?

flyingclrs727

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 am

lightsaber wrote:
Prost wrote:

:rotfl:
The allergy doesn't seem to happen in people who go hungry. errr....

Am I a bad person that this thread inspired me to buy 10 pounds of shelled and sea salted peanuts? It had nothing to do with them being on super sale and my children love them. ;)

Lightsaber

No one in China has peanut allergies. Their children get exposed to peanuts as infants.

phllax

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:31 am

Judge1310 wrote:
So much conjecture on this board/topic with few actually asking questions to gain more insight on the matter. With that, I'll give it a go...

As someone with intimate knowledge of SWA policies and way-of-thinking the getting rid of peanuts is, by and large, an elimination of people without PDA (Peanut Dust Allergy) claiming they have it for pre-boarding purposes. What the lot of you don't realise is that once a Customer with a PDA is on the aircraft, the cabin crew make an announcement indicating that that leg/flight will be a peanut free flight.

Judge, I believe you. We flew today PHL-MDW-LAX with my son who has an ingestion only peanut allergy. We get on early and wipe everything down with clorox wipes every time - seat, armrests, tray table, sidewalls, window shade. During our stop in MDW, our crew today remarked that we were the first peanut allergy people they've seen in a while actually wipe things down, and they can tell who is really allergic and who is taking advantage of it. We bring plenty of food he can eat, although today he could eat everything in the long haul snack box. We never sit in row 1, but usually rows 3-5 depending on the flight, but we have been further back if there are a lot of thru pax who have moved up.

Dominion301

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 am

Delete - duplicate post
Last edited by Dominion301 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominion301

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 am

TheOldDude wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:

Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) which I have is an autoimmune response. I'm in no danger from folks eating things like bread next to me. And if i were exposed to wheat/rye/barley, I stil would not be in life/death danger situation.

It's probably getting to the point, for southwest, that too many folks are claiming allergies .

I will sat this, last Feb flying WN to SEA I was offered a large belvita snack. I politely said I cannot eat it and thank you when the FA offered me peanuts. She understood. Thought it was quite nice.

As a fellow celiac, I abhor the constant conflating of celiac with allergies (e.g. gluten allergy) almost as much as I abhor people pontificating who have no clue.

Same with this fellow celiac.

BobbyPSP wrote:

You wrote exactly what I was thinking as I’m also celiac. So having said that, the peanuts we can (usually) eat, the pretzels, well... :hissyfit: In other words, it’s a first world problem. I’ll survive the couple of hours without an unhealthy snack. Something we deal with all the time quite frankly.

TVNWZ

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 am

Would everyone feel better to know they actually dropped them to just save money? That’s what’s happening.

chicawgo

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 am

Prost wrote:

This entire forum is a catalogue of “first world problems.” Any argument regarding aviation is a “first world problem.” Spare us the tired and self-righteous holier-than-thou post. If you don’t like discussion of first world problems then don’t use this site.

Judge1310

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 am

phllax wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Judge, I believe you. We flew today PHL-MDW-LAX with my son who has an ingestion only peanut allergy. We get on early and wipe everything down with clorox wipes every time - seat, armrests, tray table, sidewalls, window shade. During our stop in MDW, our crew today remarked that we were the first peanut allergy people they've seen in a while actually wipe things down, and they can tell who is really allergic and who is taking advantage of it. We bring plenty of food he can eat, although today he could eat everything in the long haul snack box. We never sit in row 1, but usually rows 3-5 depending on the flight, but we have been further back if there are a lot of thru pax who have moved up.

Thank you for being honest people -- even the crew commented on your due diligence so that tells you how the bad apples spoil it for the rest of the bunch. Good karma coming your way! :)

speedbird52

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 am

PEK777 wrote:
Bringing a large bag of peanuts on every flight from here on out. Snowflakes!

I find it incredibly amusing that somebody who is so angry about not being allowed to eat peanuts for a 3 hour duration to protect people who can have fatal reactions to the product is calling other people "snowflakes"

speedbird52

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:55 am

vegas005 wrote:
I fly nearly every week and the only time I hear someone whining about their allergy issue is on American flights. Fly Swiss...eat what they give you, don't like it, don't eat it. I love hearing the Americans on a Swiss/Lufthansa flight .... "do you have anything nut free",,,, answer nope!

How many of those people refuse to eat anything during the flight?

vegas005

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 am

I fly nearly every week and the only time I hear someone whining about their allergy issue is on American flights. Fly Swiss...eat what they give you, don't like it, don't eat it. I love hearing the Americans on a Swiss/Lufthansa flight .... "do you have anything nut free",,,, answer nope!

speedbird52

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:01 am

Super80Fan wrote:
I'll take those chances. Unless my jury is made up of people who have children with peanut allergies I'll be off scott free and celebrate with a package of peanut M&M's.

Thank you for outing yourself as a sociopath.

Bald1983

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.

Or they go to something cheaper, claiming to be protecting health.