Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

Connecting through your old hometown

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:46 am

I grew up in the Detroit Area. The first time I connected through DTW without leaving the airport was in college where I was flying SFO-DTW-JFK for a med school interview. It was pre-9/11 so my mom was waiting for my flight as it arrived (a touch late). She handed me a corned beef sandwich from my favorite deli, I gave her a hug, and we walked down to my connecting flight, which was already boarding, and off I went.

The next time I connected through DTW was in 2013 when we were flying SFO-DTW-CDG (we did the DTW stopover so we could fly an A340, which I had never done in my life).

In September, we're going to fly GRR-DTW-SFO.

So have you ever connected through your old hometown without leaving the airport?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

masi1157

Re: Connecting through your old hometown

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 am

DocLightning wrote:
So have you ever connected through your old hometown without leaving the airport?

Even worse, it was and still is my hometown. I had a weekend trip booked from HAM to somewhere in Europe (don't remember where) leaving friday afternoon. The same day I had to go for a meeting in Bremen. During that time long-gone OLT offered flights from BRE to HAM on an F100 for rather little money (the flight came from or went on to an Airbus site in Europe). So I actually flew BRE-HAM, stayed in the airport for a good hour and then flew HAM-???.

Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries

LGAviation

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Happened to me quite a few times and will happen to me again this year but I guess if you're from Frankfurt that's something that you have to expect.

So far without leaving the airport
LH/SQ HAM-FRA-SIN-BNE
LH HAM-FRA-IST-FRA-HAM
AC/LH DEN-YVR-FRA-HAM
and soon
LH HAM-FRA-DME-FRA-HAM

I usually try to get some time home though.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

Cubsrule

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Doc, great memories. When you grow up in a large hub city, as you and I both apparently did, it's almost inevitable. I grew up in Chicago. Oddly, it has probably been five years or more since I connected at ORD (and I have AA status, so it's not because I don't fly the right airlines), but I connect at MDW all the time.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

SkyflyerYYZ

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Although my home airport is YXU, I've never connected at it, or even YYZ, which is where I take most of my flights. Maybe sometime in the future!

dfwjim1

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:23 pm

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area but I never connected through thru SFO, OAK, SJC. However I lived in the Dallas area from 2000 to 2013 before moving to South Florida where I currently live. Being an AA FF I occasionally connect through DFW when traveling to the West Coast if I can not get a nonstop in MIA. Always feels funny connecting at an airport that was once my "home' airport.

stlgph

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 pm

It wasn't my "home" town, but I spent 6 1/2 years there for college, but I have flown through STL twice now without leaving the airport. Once on Southwest, one during the days of AA's "minor hub" operations.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

fbgdavidson

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Home town or home airport? Although LHR was not in my hometown it was my home airport. I quite regularly arrive at LHR and depart from LGW, or vice versa. I've had family drive me between the two if they haven't seen me for a while (I live in NYC), and I have done overnight connections at LHR where I've had family meet me for dinner or a pint.

I used to live in RIC and still travel there with some regularity for work. Not sure if that counts.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

n729pa

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 pm

LHR is my home airport and doing a circuit to tick off some flights for my FF programme I did a LHR EDI LHR AMS LHR one day and it was quite an interesting experience to transit my home airport rather that start or finish a journey there. It was odd coming from a domestic flight to suddenly come out of a side door I'd never noticed before and find myself in the main T5 area again.

flymia

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Yea, I have never connected through MIA nor FLL. But I did live in D.C. for 4-years. Once I did BOS-DCA-MIA on AA. It was odd going into DCA and not leaving.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Airstud

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:31 am

:shakehead: BOS not a hub for anyone
Pancakes are delicious.

910A

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:57 am

Grew up on the northern part of the San Francisco Peninsula, I've have connected several times now through SFO to TPE, MFR, ACV, CEC, HNL. So much better than LAX even when connecting to another airline.

Kno

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:57 am

Airstud wrote:
:shakehead: BOS not a hub for anyone

It is for JetBlue and delta and JetBlue are both selling tons of connections there. I came in from MSP on jetblue today and saw a ton of international pax walking from terminal C to E.

But I get your point. We're no DTW or ATL or ORD etc. I grew up in BOS and have never used the airport other than to start and stop my trips.

Super80Fan

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:03 am

LGA maybe? I've traveled to/from LGA a few times either by being picked up or dropped off by my family but there was one crazy routing I took on AA that had me connect through LGA from DCA to LGA to CLT. First time connecting through LGA and not going land-side.

On a mileage run I also did connect once through MCO, switching from US Airways to Delta. Also the first time it happened since MCO is either me leaving to go home or being dropped off for school/the theme parks.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

ALBNY

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:38 am

Never thought about this much but I’ve done this many times. I grew up in NYC and now live near Albany so many connecting flights are through EWR, especially on UA. Done HNL-EWR-ALB a few times on the way home. With inevitable delays, it would have been quicker to drive home.

asuflyer05

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 am

PHX is sort of my hometown airport. I went to ASU and worked for YV at PHX in the ramp tower. I love connecting there because it takes me home and they have a great selection of local restaurants like Four Peaks and Cowboy Ciao featured.