Bjm0517

Re: Which Airports are at Full or almost Full Capacity?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 pm

LaGuarida is always full and has delays all the time

It’s a nightmare flying outta there :bigmouth:

DLHAM

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm

HAM is operating at its limit. Another one is TXL, but things should have improved a bit after airberlin was gone.

Then, definitely, Istanbul Ataturk, this one is way over capacity but the new Airport is around the corner.
Then LGA seemed very crowded to me, but the way its built doesnt help at all I think.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

Super80Fan

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm

So if we have all of these "full" airports, why aren't we replacing 2-3 737 flights with a 767? Or 2-3 regional jet flights with an A320? Or 2-3 A320 flights with an A330? I know this used to be the way airlines operated for a while, flying L1011's/DC10's/747's/A300's on domestic routings.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

ACCS300

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
CYYZ is currently operating well beyond (~15% more pax than the terminals were ever designed to handle) it's ultimate design capacity in it's current configuration, though there are provisions for expansion.

YVR is pretty tight gate wise, though they have a wonderfully spacious terminal which mitigates the crowding. CYUL is woefully undersized currently, but I think seasonality has a fair role in how crowded it can get.

YVR's sense of spaciousness is changing quickly. The customs hall is now packed much of the day and domestic Pier C, the Air Canada pier, is packed much fo the day as well and feels extremely cramped and dated, especially the original 1969 section which desperately needs a makeover.

chrisnh

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:54 pm

No one mentioned BOS, which is fine. B6 and DL both have plans to ramp up, which they can and will.

But over at the international terminal they're trying to pour a gallon into a pint pot. They're pushing off arriving planes to remote spots to make room for others, and the whole immigration thing is a quagmire during the high season.

jplatts

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 pm

737max8 wrote:
Dallas Love Field

DAL is currently restricted to 20 gates under the Wright Amendment Reform Act of 2006 (federal statute) and the 5-party agreement between the city of Dallas, the city of Fort Worth, AA, WN, and the DFW International Airport Board. Almost all of the gates at DFW are also already in actual use by at least 1 carrier, but some of these gates are not fully utilized at DFW.

Flighty

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Is SAN at or near capacity?

HPN? Agreed on YYZ, I was there for international push a few weeks ago. Impressive traffic.

ro1960

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Bjm0517 wrote:

A major project is underway to solve this:
http://www.walshgroup.com/ourexperience/building/aviation/laguardiaairportredevelopment.html
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

ro1960

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:57 pm

DLHAM wrote:
Another one is TXL, but things should have improved a bit after airberlin was gone.

Not if EasyJet takes over all of AB routes.

DLHAM wrote:
Then LGA seemed very crowded to me, but the way its built doesnt help at all I think.

See my other reply in thread.

jubguy3

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm

NearMiss wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:
NearMiss wrote:
SCL, specially in high season and morning rush hour, though it's being expanded and due to be finished by 2020

I think you would mean SLC :-)

Haha I actually did mean SCL. You should see how overcrowded the terminal is during peak season (Winter and summer vacations) and the morning rush hour. Hopefully, the expansions and new terminals will be a welcome solution.

Oh wow. SLC is also scheduled to open a new terminal replacing both old terminals in 2020. Currently handles 26m passengers, designed to handle 12m.

fessor

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm

isn't both BKK and DMK both operating over the passenger limit and in that way both are full ?

flyingclrs727

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:59 pm

steveAUS wrote:
AUS is rapidly getting to its limit. Must be one of the most "full" non-hub/focus city airports in the country. It's been very well documented here (see: DL expansion talks) its current and future capacity.

(Wait, did I just accidentally bring up AUS and hub status in yet another thread? Sorry y'all, I'll see myself out...)

But AUS has room to grow. They could add another terminal plus another runway. None of the growth in air travel at AUS Should be possible if they has stayed at Muller Field. They don't have as much room as DFW or IAH, but it is never going to have their level of traffic. It is however a great airport for O&D about equidistant from both the east and west coasts.

atypical

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
Silverstreak wrote:
This won't make me friends on here, but isn't time we have fewer flights, larger aircraft, and gulp - high speed trains between some cities (at least in the US)?

As you probably know, there is high-speed train service on the Northeast Corridor connecting Boston, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC. It isn't high-speed by Japanese or European standards, but it does exist. A big issue is that the route was built up during the 19th and early 20th centuries by independent railroads and originally carried express and local passenger trains and freight trains. The freights are mostly gone from this route, at least in NJ, but local service (commuter lines) remain and the expresses mingle with them. Because of political pressures, brand new passenger lines can't be built without individual state agreement to have sections of their land torn up for that purpose, especially if the new service won't stop in that state.

Back in the 1940s and 50s the federal government threw a lot of resources into development of airports and related infrastructure, often at the expense of railroads. Thus rail traffic declined and air traffic increased leading to today's situation.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is increased telecommuting so one doesn't have to travel to as much. There are communications software available to be able to connect anywhere on earth. I like having face-to-face interactions, but sometimes they just aren't feasible.

High speed rail in the US isn't suffering as much from political pressure as you have mentioned but infrastructure issues and huge costs.

True HSR requires very low gradients. Taking a gradient for a standard railroad overpass could not be used for HSR because the train may not maintain contact with tracks or cause passenger motion sickness. It could not be built in the median of Interstate highways because the curves suitable for auto traffic would be too sharp for even a banked train. Even current track right-of-ways are unsuitable for HSR. HSR also cannot have any at grade crossings so all crossing traffic must go either above or below the tracks. Any corridor would need to be 300 to 500 feet wide and will need walls in populous areas as protection in the case of a derailment. Just acquiring the land at market prices and construction would be in the $100's of billions to trillions in the Northeast Corridor. Taking that much property off the tax rolls while effectively bisecting municipalities and increasing costs for basic services makes political support difficult even for those who otherwise would back such a proposition.

Look at California HSR. In San Mateo county the proposed train is not going to travel at speeds much above current CalTrain services but requires a wall (where the train is elevated) through the densest part of the county and continues to see stiff opposition from residents. In rural areas there is environmental opposition where HSR effectively divides animal habitats. The original proposition passed under the promise HSR would eventually become self-sustaining and pay for itself. The most recent audits have concluded HSR will never become self-sufficient and require operational subsidies. Construction costs are vastly more than projected, anticipated ridership is down, travel times have increased, and fares have risen.

Buffalomatt1027

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:07 am

A lot of major hubs / airports seems to be at capacity .... my question is why dont more airlines try to fly to medium size airports as a hub and then go from there. WN does it to a certain extent with Dallas Love and Chicago Midway and I am sure their are a couple other examples. Seems more cost efficient.

FlyRow

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
A lot of major hubs / airports seems to be at capacity .... my question is why dont more airlines try to fly to medium size airports as a hub and then go from there. WN does it to a certain extent with Dallas Love and Chicago Midway and I am sure their are a couple other examples. Seems more cost efficient.

Demand-Availability .. airlines can ask higher prices if demand is higher then the number of seats. Sometimes its more lucrative to not start a extra flight.
Start up cost; it's not as simple as just flying some planes to a new airport. It requires staff, logistics, supliers etc.etc. It's a lot of extra cost just to open a new hub.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

ro1960

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm

atypical wrote:
[

High speed rail in the US isn't suffering as much from political pressure as you have mentioned but infrastructure issues and huge costs.

True HSR requires very low gradients. Taking a gradient for a standard railroad overpass could not be used for HSR because the train may not maintain contact with tracks or cause passenger motion sickness. It could not be built in the median of Interstate highways because the curves suitable for auto traffic would be too sharp for even a banked train. Even current track right-of-ways are unsuitable for HSR. HSR also cannot have any at grade crossings so all crossing traffic must go either above or below the tracks. Any corridor would need to be 300 to 500 feet wide and will need walls in populous areas as protection in the case of a derailment. Just acquiring the land at market prices and construction would be in the $100's of billions to trillions in the Northeast Corridor. Taking that much property off the tax rolls while effectively bisecting municipalities and increasing costs for basic services makes political support difficult even for those who otherwise would back such a proposition.

Look at California HSR. In San Mateo county the proposed train is not going to travel at speeds much above current CalTrain services but requires a wall (where the train is elevated) through the densest part of the county and continues to see stiff opposition from residents. In rural areas there is environmental opposition where HSR effectively divides animal habitats. The original proposition passed under the promise HSR would eventually become self-sustaining and pay for itself. The most recent audits have concluded HSR will never become self-sufficient and require operational subsidies. Construction costs are vastly more than projected, anticipated ridership is down, travel times have increased, and fares have risen.

Infrastructure cost, be it road, rail, air, etc is always enormous. In Europe it's mainly financed by taxes. My understanding is that US governments have, one after the other, lowered taxes so much that there isn't any dollars left to maintain the existing infrastructure, let alone build new ones.

Bjm0517

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Bjm0517 wrote:

A major project is underway to solve this:
http://www.walshgroup.com/ourexperience/building/aviation/laguardiaairportredevelopment.html

I know, and I’m glad their doing it!

PatrickZ80

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 pm

FlyRow wrote:
Demand-Availability .. airlines can ask higher prices if demand is higher then the number of seats. Sometimes its more lucrative to not start a extra flight.
Start up cost; it's not as simple as just flying some planes to a new airport. It requires staff, logistics, supliers etc.etc. It's a lot of extra cost just to open a new hub.

But what if you're closing one hub and opening up another instead? Sure it would cost money to move operations, but in the long term you could earn that back.

Also as for O/D destinations, why do airlines have to fly into major airports for that? If there are no transfers, a small airport is just as good as a big one. Moving O/D operations from a full airport to an alternative airport frees up capacity at the full airport so it isn't full anymore. The problem is, most hub airports are also the most convenient located airports in their region so airlines most likely want to use it even if they don't contribute to the hub function of the airport. That's what makes them so full.

This thought actually occured to me a while ago when I was at Amsterdam airport and saw a WOW Air plane there. WOW Air has a base in Keflavik, that's their hub. In Amsterdam each passenger that arrived on that plane is bound for Amsterdam, none of them are transfering. Also each passenger that departs on that plane is coming from Amsterdam, none of them arrived on another plane. Then why does that plane have to be on a mega hub like Amsterdam? What it's doing there it can do anywhere. Currently Lelystad is being expanded to become a secondary airport for Amsterdam. WOW Air could just as well use that, it would not matter to them but it would matter to Amsterdam airport. The slot that WOW Air is now holding could be used for another flight that does contribute to the hub function. A flight that does bring in transfer passengers.

Southwest1137

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:34 am

KOSH is reaching its capacity for that one week per year... Listening to FISK APP this week they kept saying that they were out of general aviation parking spots!

olba

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:04 am

BEY,

It has a capacity of 6million, but last year they had over 8 million. There are plans to expand but no funding.

rjsampson

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 am

KSAN is getting there. They’ve added more gates, sure, and the “Master Plan” to converge Terminal One and Terminal Two is supposed to make SAN viable until 2030.

Of course, for those of us familiar with San Diego politics (ie, “big ideas” but nothing ever gets done) have to take that with a grain of salt... Not to mention that the 2nd biggest city in California has, and will always have ONE RUNWAY. (With substantial usable space restrictions on both ends.

We’ll see how this plays out over the next 10 years.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(