junlinwong94
Topic Author

Flight Reviews: Is Sam Chui a reliable aviation vlogger and reviewer?

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 pm

I don't know to be very honest, I'm caught between two groups of people one saying that he is just a walking advertisement for airlines whereas another says his reviews are good.

So I'm kinda confused right now. Is his vlogs reliable and truthful?

drdisque

Re: Flight Reviews: Is Sam Chui a reliable aviation vlogger and reviewer?

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm

I just watch his stuff for the interesting trips he takes. Personally, I don't think his viewpoint even closely resembles that of a normal traveler, so I don't really care too much about his opinions, but he gets really good photos and video of rare an unusual planes and routes and is a decent story teller. I particularly like his Fars Air Qeshm Yak-42 trip

keesje

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Sam is a nice guy liked by all the crews of all the airlines. That enables him to connect, get in everywhere and get great pictures & insides.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

berari

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Sam Chui is an online personality/brand with a following that airlines want to tap into by offering him opportunities to fly and showcase their best product, similar to many Instagram personalities that get free trips, hotel stays and such. The likes of Qatar want him on there to show off the best of their products, and as an avgeek he gets to live his dream. I doubt that he would have such career if he were to expose the ugly side of some airlines, so he goes along with it.

Galwayman

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:28 pm

He’s easily the best out there , upbeat , engaging and constructive unlike some of the others who can be ugly and self absorbed

He has however started doing a bit too much product placement which is annoying , hopefully he’ll reduce it or cut it out

SCQ83

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Obviously most if not all of this reviews are sponsored by the airlines he flies. I would take it as entertainment but not as a review since it is not objective.

greggariouspdx

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Sam's blogs and videos are entertaining but I agree with the opinion that because of all his upgrades and Insider benefits he does not necessarily represent the average experience. I recommend Jeb Brooks @ greenergrass.com mover Sam. Jeb is very loyal to Delta but still remains objective.

devron

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 pm

I just think he is a very positive guy and wouldn't say a bad word. I like that but hat means all his reviews are positive.

blooc350

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:55 pm

He can be a little too "dramatic", which makes me question his "genuineness" of his videos.

I like "Non-stop Dan" as he shows the good and the bad of the airlines.

Lufthansa

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:56 pm

I certainly enjoy his videos. But he's hardly a regular passenger. He is obviously extremely good at working the system.
I believe he's an investment banker so he probably an afford a lot of the fares, but also by that same standard he's
an online influencer so he's going to get rolls Royce service. He has a good video on you tube about how to do published
fare searches to get some very good deals. And I like he every now and then does some reviews on exotic things like
Iran's 747-sp flights. But if I flight is under catered I don't think he's gonna need to worry about a meal choice
or if its oversold I'm sure he'l be up the told of the upgrade list. And any staff members with attitude are going to be
warned in advance to be nice to him. But overall.... I think he does a pretty good job! Always enjoy his work.

george77300

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:12 pm

junlinwong94 wrote:
I don't know to be very honest, I'm caught between two groups of people one saying that he is just a walking advertisement for airlines whereas another says his reviews are good.

Treat Sam Chui as entertainment and not a truthful review. He is more showing people cool experiences.

If you want some good reviews of airlines try Dennis Bunnik Travels (he is hilarious in his), Paul's Trip Reports or Simply Aviation. They offer some more fair and in some cases rather hilarious reviews that show good and bad and in all classes of a huge variety of airlines.

airplane

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:14 pm

He surly is a great aviation enthusiastic, and has contributed with his amazing pictures, videos and reviews to the entire world.
Besides his pictures, thanks to him many of us can see with details many things about all different kinds of airlines, services, airplanes and destinations. If he gets paid then good for him, but its not my business and I don't care.
Thanks Sam Chui for your great contributions for all aviation enthusiasts all over the world. If there were "Aviation Oscars" you would surely get it.
Gotta love seeing the world from above

dangerhere

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Can't beat Paul's Trip Reports IMO as the best

res77W

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:44 pm

dangerhere wrote:

Agreed. Paul is objective, informative, and entertaining. I feel that Sam only shows the best of the best. There are others that I feel are whiny or too biased.

-Rowen

FlyRow

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm

dangerhere wrote:

Indeed, not sure about the new narated style yet though. It sounds a bit too montone/emotionless.

Starting too like non-stop Dan though, bit more honest and a lot of enthousiasm.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

dangerhere

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:26 pm

FlyRow wrote:
dangerhere wrote:

Indeed, not sure about the new narated style yet though. It sounds a bit too montone/emotionless.

Starting too like non-stop Dan though, bit more honest and a lot of enthousiasm.

I wasn't a fan of his new style, but after a couple of videos he seems to have smoothed a few things out. The voice overs can be a bit wooden at times but I think he's not used to it and I get the impression he's speaking clearly for his international audience, it does sound at times like he's reading (nervously) off a page though.

I find Dan good but stopped watching them after a while. His trip to Svarbard is very good though.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Sam is a great guy. He's actually an investment banker, but his love of commercial aviation and his enthusiasm for doing a thorough vlog/blog has launched him into the pantheon of the top few aviation bloggers.

He's also always polite, smiley, friendly with the crews, and has his little nerdy trademark "wooooooow!"

Would I view him as being an objective, brutally honest reviewer? No. But that's not really his objective, I think. Through Sam, we get to see aviation experiences the likes of which none of us would ever get to see otherwise.

Sam, if you're reading this thread, I can't thank you enough for your work and your videos. Keep it up.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Super80Fan

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:05 pm

I do like Non-stop Dan's style, and he is definitely honest. I'll have to check out Paul's Trip Reports.

Although I haven't met him in person, Sam Chui sounds like a very nice guy and I enjoy his videos/reports, even if he is "compensated" for some of his reviews. He is not in it for the money, he genuinely likes aviation/travel.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

max999

Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:01 am

Just like a number of people here have stated, I believe Sam gets compensated with free or discounted tickets, free or discounted upgrades, and insider access. The problem is that he is hiding his lack of objectivity by not disclosing his compensation. I understand YouTube has a policy that says the content creator must disclose any paid promotions. Sam is probably violating YouTube policy which could get him banned. I think his videos should be flagged so YouTube can conduct an official investigation on his lack of disclosures.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

KentB27

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Sam is great but he only seems to show the good things about airlines these days. If you want an objective review, look elsewhere. He also doesn't seem to do rare and unusual routes, airlines, and aircraft nearly as often as he did a few years ago which is a real shame in my opinion because that's what gravitated me towards his channel in the first place. He is more of an aviation "tourist" than a reviewer if we're being honest. I still enjoy his content though, I just miss his older style of videos.

Alexdk

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:51 am

Thought he would write something himself, but he was online here more than a year ago.

Kent350787

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:00 am

Alexdk wrote:
Thought he would write something himself, but he was online here more than a year ago.

True. Maybe he decided to stay away after they dropped his shot from the banner?

Alexdk

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:14 am

There is a recent interview with him on YouTube. He talks about quitting his IB job but keeping his second job (which as far as I know is him or his partners finding business/first class deals for you). He also addresses lack of criticism in his videos, saying he will try to be more objective.
https://youtu.be/LYQfAG7seXg

cpd

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 am

junlinwong94 wrote:

Sam is okay - I used to see him from time to time when I photographed planes. Since I'm out of that world I've not seen him for a long time. He used to visit this site some times and was a good photographer. He loves aviation and flying.

Super80Fan wrote:
Although I haven't met him in person, Sam Chui sounds like a very nice guy

He is quietly spoken, easy to get along with.

AirAfreak

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Once, I posted a question in the comment section of one of his YouTube Video Trip Reports. He kindly replied with helpful travel information within few days time. This leads me to believe, along with his detailed trip reports, Sam Chui is a reliable aviation blogger.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

abrelosojos

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:43 pm

In the early days, Sam was a genuine guy - check out his reviews on A.Net before - then, he used his reviews to build a brand and become paid for it. Now, almost all work he does is paid advertisement.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

AirAfreak

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:38 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
In the early days, Sam was a genuine guy - check out his reviews on A.Net before - then, he used his reviews to build a brand and become paid for it. Now, almost all work he does is paid advertisement.

Saludos,
Alex

I am officially missing your trip reports the most! They are truly among the best! I hope you will post something soon! If, by chance, you have officially retired from trip reporting, then please kindly post me your Lichtenstein Passport so I may have it as memorabilia.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

LH658

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 am

Sam Chui, was interviewed by Jeb Brooks which also has good views, and travels for his job etc. Sam said he tends to be positive in his review, just highlighting the good stuff. I do like his interesting trips like the PIA cockpit video, tours in North Korea, Iran, Russia, and etc. Though now days Sam gets some insider knowledge like he goes to Airbus and boeing facility. He attends new routes or plane services etc, get to show us some stuff that we don't normally get to see. Lately he has been getting some special treatment like you can notice some videos seemed to be sponsored etc with QR, SQ, EK, an AF etc. Though most time his reviews are fun to watch, even though majority of PAX won't face same treatment like him. Dantorp aviation, dennisbunnik, and Jeb Brooks seem to be more critical when it comes to reviews. Though dantorp aviation guy I love his economy week etc when he compares different airlines, but sometime he rants on small things, that seem to be more personal to him then a regular flyer.

Freddogg63

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:56 am

More open and ‘honest’ remarks and critical feedback is now surfacing on #samchui instagram page and youtube channel
Primarily people are saying that;

Major airlines ALL know who he is and internal staff meetings are showing pictures of him warning he has to be looked after if spotted
A bit like fine dining establishments do for michelin inspectors
However these individuals dont come in with a camers/video and start talking about how they will review the meal
They are covert, discreet
Not Sam
Hes actually quite tall - big made and distinctive looks
Hes not a native english speaker and his english is a bit ‘messed’ up by he’s easily understood
However a few stories gave emerged including a personal experience of a flight crew member telling me that he asked a cabin crew if they didnt know/realise who he was - to which they replies no

He then proceeded to show them his youtube videos
And explain how many followers he had and he was a ‘social media influencer’
These comments/feedback were posted on instagram etc
And hes started banning blocking people - hmmmm

SCQ83

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:34 am

Freddogg63 wrote:
However a few stories gave emerged including a personal experience of a flight crew member telling me that he asked a cabin crew if they didnt know/realise who he was - to which they replies no

Ahahah is this for real? I am not overly surprised.

His style seemed always a bit snobbish to me. He is (I think) a former banker originally from Hong Kong... enough said.

EChid

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm

As a general rule, I don't trust the output from reviewers who narrate their flights from within the aircraft. It's far too obvious to go unnoticed by the crew, thereby making it less likely that the experience will reflect that of the normal flyer. This is especially the case for the popular bloggers, which are not only recognizable but also super obvious about what they are doing (I think The Points Guy actually flies with a secondary film guy?). Not to mention that, if I were on that flight and someone was loudly narrating their judgements to a camera for most of it I would be *pissed* as an F/J class flyer that had actually paid $$ to be there and just wanted to rest. Many fit into this category, including Non-Stop Dan or Jeb Brooks (or Sam or Dennis).

Sam Chui is, like many of the most popular flight bloggers, a self-promoter. His success depends on it. His channel is sustainable because of the amount of material (many many F and J flights) and type (exclusive in-cockpit videos, etc.), which he accomplishes by being a known commodity within the industry and providing almost universally positive feedback. This is what helps him get more access to special experiences and (rumoured) freebies. It works this way in many many industries, such as the car review industry. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

DennisBunnick is fun to watch, a super nice chap, but I think is falling into similar territory - he's recognized, narrates in-cabin (somewhat), and I can't remember the last time he said anything negative about a flight he was on. The food is seemingly always tasty, the seat is always comfortable, etc. I mean, this is the guy that praised United's 8-across Business Class. The two Paul's (Oz Paul and UK Paul) are much more subtle and much less effusive. UK Paul tends to review a full range of products, not just the sexy flagship ones, and doesn't hide the crap components (see his recent review of UA's transcon service). OZ Paul doesn't tend to narrate in-cabin (he narrates after the fact, which is the best approach), and he tends to be less gracious about airline fails.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

FriscoHeavy

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Freddogg63 wrote:
More open and ‘honest’ remarks and critical feedback is now surfacing on #samchui instagram page and youtube channel
Primarily people are saying that;

Major airlines ALL know who he is and internal staff meetings are showing pictures of him warning he has to be looked after if spotted
A bit like fine dining establishments do for michelin inspectors
However these individuals dont come in with a camers/video and start talking about how they will review the meal
They are covert, discreet
Not Sam
Hes actually quite tall - big made and distinctive looks
Hes not a native english speaker and his english is a bit ‘messed’ up by he’s easily understood

You provide interesting insight, but cery hard to read and decipher without punctuation (periods, commas, etc). Please use them so that we can enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks.
Whatever

ysitincoach

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm

SC's English is so terrible that it's tough to watch his videos. He was much more valuable to the community when he solely posted still imagery.

SC lost it for me when he was promoting the Moscow crash on his social media. His disrespect for the victims and the family of the victims was appalling.

His loyalists were quick to jump to his defense, but look, SC profits off of clicks, likes, subscribes, followers, etc...and for him to monetize a fatal aviation incident just showed how low he is willing to stoop.

If SC did the same thing in the UAE he'd be jailed then deported.

FCOTSTW

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm

junlinwong94 wrote:

Has anyone ever set a reliability standard when it comes to vlogging and/or reviewing? If not (as it is), it is a very personal choice and it should be taken at "face value" only, as you might agree with him or not.

alan3

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Sure maybe he is a nice guy but it all just seems too cozy and brownnosy for my liking. Sam in the cockpit! Sam at the launch of a new aircraft! Sam meeting with the CEO! etc.

I guess it depends what you want from your trip vloggers - - an honest review to make consumer decisions, or to just have fun and vicariously through someone enjoying major perks of luxury travel?

Trip vlogs are getting such a big business now I am starting to get a bit uncomfortable about the top "celebrity vloggers" because I no longer know how much of it are paid perks covered by the airlines in exchange for publicity and good reviews. Then you're just watching an ad, basically.

The Simply Aviation guys are very basic. They often travel Economy. It feels much more like a real passenger just filming themselves on a plane as opposed to a professional on board video. (Although I am not sure how David and Felix can travel that often! They must fly around the world multiple times a week??!)

Tartarus

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:38 pm

keesje wrote:
Sam is a nice guy liked by all the crews of all the airlines. That enables him to connect, get in everywhere and get great pictures & insides.

99.9% of airline crews wouldn't have the slightest clue who he was.

A320FlyGuy

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 pm

About 6 weeks ago I was on a flight and my seatmate looked vaguely familiar. For the first few hours of the flight, I was not really concerned as I was working on some work related things and then had dinner. It finally hit me who it was. The (he says sarcastically) charming and personable Sam Chui.

He complained throughout the meal service that his meal wasn't cooked to his expectations, he browbeat the cabin crew into giving him an audience in the galley and asked to be escorted to the flight deck after landing. In short, the guy has a very high opinion of himself.

I wasn't impressed. The crew on this flight were busy, it was a packed flight on a 789 and having to deal with his demands didn't help matters. I will credit the crew....I would have been hoping an Air Marshal would shoot him. He seems to think everyone in aviation should know who he is and bow down to him. Frankly, the guy has an inflated ego and I question his objectivity. I also pity any crew that gets stuck with him as a passenger.

Maybe others have a higher opinion of him but in this case, I think he really was an arrogant twat. If he mentioned that he had elite status once, he must have mentioned it at least 10x in the course of the flight....guess what....the cabin crew don't give a flying fig how many miles you have....you're still an ass to them.

I have the utmost respect for cabin crew....they have enough to deal with without the demands of an inflated ego who thinks he knows their job better than they do. If I heard that he got booted from a flight, it would be a red letter day.
My other car is an A320-200

fbgdavidson

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:07 am

A320FlyGuy wrote:
About 6 weeks ago I was on a flight and my seatmate looked vaguely familiar. For the first few hours of the flight, I was not really concerned as I was working on some work related things and then had dinner. It finally hit me who it was. The (he says sarcastically) charming and personable Sam Chui.

He complained throughout the meal service that his meal wasn't cooked to his expectations, he browbeat the cabin crew into giving him an audience in the galley and asked to be escorted to the flight deck after landing. In short, the guy has a very high opinion of himself.

I wasn't impressed. The crew on this flight were busy, it was a packed flight on a 789 and having to deal with his demands didn't help matters. I will credit the crew....I would have been hoping an Air Marshal would shoot him. He seems to think everyone in aviation should know who he is and bow down to him. Frankly, the guy has an inflated ego and I question his objectivity. I also pity any crew that gets stuck with him as a passenger.

Maybe others have a higher opinion of him but in this case, I think he really was an arrogant twat. If he mentioned that he had elite status once, he must have mentioned it at least 10x in the course of the flight....guess what....the cabin crew don't give a flying fig how many miles you have....you're still an ass to them.

I have the utmost respect for cabin crew....they have enough to deal with without the demands of an inflated ego who thinks he knows their job better than they do. If I heard that he got booted from a flight, it would be a red letter day.

I read a similar report from someone who was sat by him on the inaugural flight of BA's A350-1000.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

alan3

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:44 am

Not in the slightest. But depends what you are looking for.

If you want some entertainment, and see someone get lots of perks and get all cozy with the airline staff - Sam in the cockpit! Sam at the launch of a new plane! Sam with the CEO! Sam on an inaugural new route! - Then, by all means.

But as an actual reviewer, to provide consumer information about which airline to fly or which services to take, no way. He's far too pampered and in-bed with the airlines for that.

foxtrotbravo21

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:37 am

Sam is perceived to be a entertaining and "nice"guy and hs reviews are always good or ok and hardly does he give a bad review. He is more bias for the airlines and airlines like him and offer him many privileges and hence often the good reviews and his reviews are more for entertainment.

QANTAS077

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 pm

devron wrote:
I just think he is a very positive guy and wouldn't say a bad word. I like that but hat means all his reviews are positive.

Then you don't know the real Sam..ask anyone in Sydney who's met him and then you'll understand what I mean.

His mouth used to work harder than his shutter finger and what came out of his mouth was pretty vile.

He spent plenty of time belittling fellow enthusiasts and stepping over others to get where he got to.

QANTAS077

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 pm

abrelosojos wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

I've met him many times and genuine is not a word I'd use to describe him. He was only ever about the hits he could get on his pics. He'd step all over people just to get a pic that could generate hits and boost his name.

If you want to know the real Sam then reach out to the photographers at Sydney Airport, they suffered him for years and couldn't wait for him to leave.

BasilFawlty

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Sam Chui is way to fond of himself and finds himself more interesting than the things he’s filming. Could be worse though... Non-stop Dan... :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I always like the videos of Paul Lucas, Noël Phillips, FlightExperience, PlaneSpottingBerlin, OnBoardHD and Simply Aviation (except the ones from that halfwit who only films himself all the time. :talktothehand: )
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

VSMUT

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 am

BasilFawlty wrote:
Could be worse though... Non-stop Dan... :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Gah, did he learn english from American teenage girls? :ill:

devron

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 am

QANTAS077 wrote:
devron wrote:

Then you don't know the real Sam..ask anyone in Sydney who's met him and then you'll understand what I mean.

His mouth used to work harder than his shutter finger and what came out of his mouth was pretty vile.

He spent plenty of time belittling fellow enthusiasts and stepping over others to get where he got to.

No I do not know him personal still all of his video's seem so possitive

jupiter2

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 am

QANTAS077 wrote:
devron wrote:

At last, someone who actually knows what an egotistical twat he is. Was always a low point of a day when Sam would show up and god help anyone if they were showing any of their photos to anyone, no one could ever take a better image than him.

cpd

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 am

QANTAS077 wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

I've met him many times and genuine is not a word I'd use to describe him. He was only ever about the hits he could get on his pics. He'd step all over people just to get a pic that could generate hits and boost his name.

If you want to know the real Sam then reach out to the photographers at Sydney Airport, they suffered him for years and couldn't wait for him to leave.

To me, that’s just spotting in general. Who can get shots from the ATC tower balcony (it was a little exclusive club for a few), then everyone rushed to do heli-spotting. Who could be the first to get the Hong Kong trader 747 shot online.

I had no problems with Sam, but then I’ve not seen him in years. He’d sort of started to pack up by the time I got into it.

I don’t watch his reviews either. What he says or doesn’t say won’t influence my travel choices.

akb88

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm

The ones I've only really stuck with are Paul Lucas and Noel Philips, they do both business and economy and I find them fair and point out both positive and negative aspects. Jeb Brooks is also pretty good.
Sam on the other hand, I've always gotten a bad vibe off him, he was probably the first one I saw on Youtube and after watching a few videos with nothing but glamour and praise, I gave up.

flightuk

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Sam is a lovely guy and I feel a bit soft on his reviewees

QANTAS077

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
QANTAS077 wrote:
devron wrote:

At last, someone who actually knows what an egotistical twat he is. Was always a low point of a day when Sam would show up and god help anyone if they were showing any of their photos to anyone, no one could ever take a better image than him.

I remember a time at Tokyo and his mouth was in overdrive about fellow spotters, their pics, how he flew FC and so-on and I said to him if he didn't STFU I'd knock his block off.

LAX spotters had issues with him as did many others....I can give you plenty of stories because I was there and suffered his BS.