Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACDC8

Re: Possible future WestJet U.S. destinations with Delta JV

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:20 pm

SLCUT2777 wrote:

However WS is a western based carrier (YYC) & I suspect SLC & SEA will come more quickly as new stations. SLC offers many trans-con & west coast connections that will serve WS guests very well.

While YYC is WS’s base, they have more flights operating out of YYZ than YYC.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

cumulushumilis

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:55 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:

However WS is a western based carrier (YYC) & I suspect SLC & SEA will come more quickly as new stations. SLC offers many trans-con & west coast connections that will serve WS guests very well.

While YYC is WS’s base, they have more flights operating out of YYZ than YYC.

That's not a true statement. YYC has approximately 15 percent more flights going through it to the end of 2019 than YYZ. Remember WS ramped up Link.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:47 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:

That's not a true statement. YYC has approximately 15 percent more flights going through it to the end of 2019 than YYZ. Remember WS ramped up Link.

WS currently serves 54 year round destinations out of YYZ with WS and WEN. 53 year round destinations out of YYC including the 5 new routes with Link.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

AirNovaBAe146

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:18 am

WS has 120+ daily flights out of YYZ, as their freshly painted ads on TTC buses proclaim.

I am not familiar with their YYC operation- how many daily flights do they have there?

Regardless of what that figure is, YYZ is going be growing exponentially at WS, whereas YYC has fairly limited growth potential. Much of the 787 growth at WS will be at YYZ, plus it is nearly certain they’ll add a Link type product there in the next 2 years.

willenglish

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 am

redzeppelin wrote:
Unlikely, but I'd like to see Encore try flying to major DL stations from YTZ. Maybe DTW, JFK, ATL... or even BOS, MSP and CVG?

I like this idea but the only thing is that YTZ doesn’t have any slots. There would definitely be demand for YTZ-NY (preferably LGA as its business heavy) and BOS as well, but I don’t think any of the other ones would happen. If there were slots open I’m sure AC would already be operating BOS and NY along with PD... creative idea though.

whywhyzee

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 am

WestJet operates roughly 6.6% more flights out of YYC than they do out of YYZ. That is based off of the average daily departures total for the current time period. (137 vs 128). YYZ was larger for a while, but a recent resurgence at YYC has put it back on top. Regardless, both hubs are by far and away their largest. The majority of international growth moving forward will also be YYZ based, they make more revenue from YYZ than the rest of the network combined.

caribb

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:
SEA via YVR, YYC, YEG, YYZ & YUL

I seriously doubt SEA is going to get all of these, if any at all. I'd be absolutely shocked to see YYZ and YUL get a Seattle nonstop on WestJet. Air Canada already does 2x daily in the summer months on YYZ-SEA, so there's really not much wiggle room in that market left, and I highly doubt that the demand is there for YUL, even with connections.

Everything else that you list I could see happening, though.

I agree with you that WS wont start YYZ-SEA or YUL-SEA, but the latter is one of the largest unserved US markets out of YUL. Almost 50 PDEW and growing.

WS doesn't have the right equipment for the route. AC with the CSeries looks like the best way YUL will ever get SEA service.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that WS isn't going to lauch sh*t out of YUL. They canceled FLL, MCO, two huge markets out of YUL. They're soon canceling BOS and reduced service to YQB. I highly doubt they are going to launch ATL, DTW, MSP or even worse, YUL-RDU.

Quebec in general is not of interest to WestJet.

You are so right. Westjet has so little serious interest in developing Montréal, even with Delta’s presence there I don’t expect anything more than a few code shares.. probably by Delta on Westjet’s flights to Toronto and Halifax so they can feed Westjet’s hubs with more US Passengers but nothing to really impact their YUL operations.

SEAxSANxBOS

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:12 pm

FA9295 wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:
SEA via YVR, YYC, YEG, YYZ & YUL

I seriously doubt SEA is going to get all of these, if any at all. I'd be absolutely shocked to see YYZ and YUL get a Seattle nonstop on WestJet. Air Canada already does 2x daily in the summer months on YYZ-SEA, so there's really not much wiggle room in that market left, and I highly doubt that the demand is there for YUL, even with connections.

Everything else that you list I could see happening, though.

I disagree, I feel there is great opportunity to eat into this market share and even grow a WS YYZ SEA route. The greater flexibility and options going between DL and WS I feel beat the combo of UA AC.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG

kgaiflyer

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 pm

If WestJet's Encore could move into DCA - to compete with Porter's IAD-YTZ - I can visualize a meaningful route developing.
WestJet connects to 22 more Canadian cities nationwide versus Porter's connections only to eastern Canadian cities.

As long as clients realize they're getting a different product than Porter's (Yes - I've flown Encore).

AirNovaBAe146

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:22 am

kgaiflyer wrote:
If WestJet's Encore could move into DCA - to compete with Porter's IAD-YTZ - I can visualize a meaningful route developing.
WestJet connects to 22 more Canadian cities nationwide versus Porter's connections only to eastern Canadian cities.

As long as clients realize they're getting a different product than Porter's (Yes - I've flown Encore).

Neither WS Encore or Porter will be serving DCA anytime in the next few years. Yes - they would really really like to get access to it. However DCA slots are limited and when they do come open, all the US majors put in for service from every half-sized city in America. To most Americans, the difference between YYZ and YTZ is academic. If you hear WS or PD marketing folks dreaming aloud about DCA access, it is just noise. Could you imagine the uproar if a Canadian carrier got access to DCA for 2-3-4 daily flights when there are still cities within the perimeter who want direct flights to Washington and Air Canada already capably serves Washington (all three airports) - Toronto. Especially under President America First.
Last edited by AirNovaBAe146 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

AirNovaBAe146

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:45 am

Deleted / accidental double post

LovePrunesAnet

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:06 pm

willenglish wrote:

YYC-AUS DL 73X/32X/E75 WJ 73X

Same deal as above, DL recently opening a focus city in AUS.

Except DL has NOT made AUS a focus city.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1397113&start=400#p20591681

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1397113&start=400#p20591987

Midwestindy

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 pm

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0154-0001

Looks like they claim: Additional frequencies or enhanced service (i.e., seasonal to year-round) on at least 14 existing nonstop routes, and at least 6 new nonstop transborder routes
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List