IFlyVeryLittle
Topic Author

Innovations in boarding???

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:45 pm

On a recent trip that included TPA, ATL and MCI and I was astounded what a (minor) disaster boarding has become. Three of four segments departed between 15-20 minutes late with people standing on the jetbridge or in the aisle of the plane as the minutes ticked away. Sure, nearly every seat on every plane was filled, and possibly this time is baked into the published on-time departure but is anyone out there working on new formats to walk into the plane? Or is this simply the price of doing business and a happy problem (full planes) to have?

trpmb6

Re: Innovations in boarding???

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm

I've never understood why airlines don't board the higher row numbers first. Board from the back forward. I get that you want to give preferential treatment to those who bought fancy seats and what not. But honestly, I don't like having all those people walk past me as I'm trying to get ready for my flight.

Anyways, for me, WN has the best boarding practice. Hands down. It may seem chaotic but it seems to me to be the fastest boarding routine.

VS11

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:59 pm

They should board window seats first, middle and then aisle seats. People sitting in aisle seats having to get up and let window and middle seat pax take their seats disrupts the process quite a bit.

Chemist

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:00 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I've never understood why airlines don't board the higher row numbers first. Board from the back forward. I get that you want to give preferential treatment to those who bought fancy seats and what not. But honestly, I don't like having all those people walk past me as I'm trying to get ready for my flight.

Anyways, for me, WN has the best boarding practice. Hands down. It may seem chaotic but it seems to me to be the fastest boarding routine.

Agreed that to me Southwest's boarding seems more organized. Plus much less crowding at the gate.

A few other boarding thoughts.
Wouldn't it be better to have the boarding door more mid-fuse (a la 757 mid door). Then passengers can board and turn left or right and that would improve flow.
It would be nice to have some miracle way to have one column of seats (say, the "C" seats on a six-across NB) drop into the floor so that the aisle is twice as wide during boarding. Then if you are in a "C" seat, you board last and pop the seat up once onboard. But that' probably isn't practical for a whole bunch of reasons.

jetmatt777

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:02 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Airlines have spent millions researching this topic, and the results have always pointed to the fact that no matter which way the airplane is boarded, times were practically the same.

People in row 38 still look at their boarding pass and compare each row number as they slowly shuffle to the back. People in row 25 still clog the aisle by putting their carry on in row 4. People are slow to board by nature, and there isn’t a better way to do it.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

pdp

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:03 pm

Most of the time, LCCs in Europe use both the front and back doors. This certainly speeds things up and I've seen a 240 seat A321 boarded in 20 minutes as a result!

The one time I've been on a jetway with Ryanair it was a disaster though. We were already two and a half hours late and the doubling it boarding time made it worse.

Ionosphere

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:11 pm

UALFAson wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Three of four segments departed between 15-20 minutes late with people standing on the jetbridge or in the aisle of the plane as the minutes ticked away.

I think you've also just had some bad luck. I've flown AA about every other week all summer long, and often everyone is seated ready to go 10-15 minutes prior to departure and we wound up just sitting at the gate waiting until we get clearance to push back.

I would imagine there is also a lot of variability among destinations, e.g. flights to/from South Florida with lots of kids and older people/wheelchairs probably take longer to board than a flight filled with experienced biz travelers.

At Delta they can't close the door on mainline til 5mins before departure & 10mins for regional.

UALFAson

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:14 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Three of four segments departed between 15-20 minutes late with people standing on the jetbridge or in the aisle of the plane as the minutes ticked away.

I think you've also just had some bad luck. I've flown AA about every other week all summer long, and often everyone is seated ready to go 10-15 minutes prior to departure and we wound up just sitting at the gate waiting until we get clearance to push back.

I would imagine there is also a lot of variability among destinations, e.g. flights to/from South Florida with lots of kids and older people/wheelchairs probably take longer to board than a flight filled with experienced biz travelers.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

liveupthere

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:19 pm

VS11 wrote:
They should board window seats first, middle and then aisle seats. People sitting in aisle seats having to get up and let window and middle seat pax take their seats disrupts the process quite a bit.

Except the people in those aisle seats paid a premium to have those seats. If they're last on the plane, there's no overhead space.

Turnhouse1

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 pm

The one 'innovation' that would improve boarding speed significantly would be to (re)introduce free checked baggage, accompanied by draconian limits on cabin baggage. Obviously it removes a revenue stream, but I presume airlines have modeled the cost of longer turnaround times against the lost revenue and the economics favour standing in a queue while people cram wheelie bags 0.5mm under the size limit into the overhead lockers.

Exeiowa

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:22 pm

I think what is messing up the boarding on US based carriers is all those priority groups that mean you now have to fight your way past people who have the "privilege" of sitting on a metal tube longer.

I got rerouted on LH from ORD, as I waited to board the A340-600 I was thinking they have to board soon, we are going to be leaving so late, there are so many people! But it took 20 mins to get everyone on that plane, so I don't think its all much the same, but rather a will to do things a certain way, and have passengers prepared as well.

But with most US carriers there is no will to do this as you can artificially make something valuable and collect more money (how about you get a credit card so you have some space in that overhead bin..) because most likely the plane will be sitting there for that amount of time if you are on it or not.

Bricktop

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:26 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
People in row 25 still clog the aisle by putting their carry on in row 4.

There's a special place in hell for these #$%!ers.

32andBelow

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:29 pm

You wanna see fast boarding? Fly spirit. No one brings shit. Also boring windows first would never work in reality as many travelers are in groups and good luck getting them to split up.

UpNAWAy

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:53 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

A bunch of studies by universities have showed that is actually one of the slower ways to board. Random boarding is actually the fastest. Humans we are a strange beast.

TWFlyGuy

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Bricktop wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
People in row 25 still clog the aisle by putting their carry on in row 4.

There's a special place in hell for these #$%!ers.

I believe their place is somewhere near those who are the front of the line to board in the gate area yet their boarding pass clearly states they are in group 9 and instead of standing back and allowing those with lower group numbers ahead they continue to stand their ground.

trpmb6

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Exeiowa wrote:
I think what is messing up the boarding on US based carriers is all those priority groups that mean you now have to fight your way past people who have the "privilege" of sitting on a metal tube longer.

I've never understood this either. Why would you want to get seated at the front of the plane before every single person boards? You want 150+ people walking past you? Trust me, that free wine you got for purchasing that premium ticket isn't going to be so free when that 20 something carrying an oversized bag knocks it over into your lap.

The only priority boarding group I understand is people boarding with children. (That's me on thursday) It's a PITA to board with kids. But my wife and I are pro at flying with children so getting us in the plane, situated and getting the ipad set up for a movie (on flights without IFE) is to everyone else's benefit. Trust me.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:50 pm

VS11 wrote:

That wouldn't work as you'd have to split up groups sitting together into different boarding groups. Imagine a family of three (two parents and a kid) sitting together in a row. The kid has the window seat, so should be in the first boarding group. Then follows the mother in the boarding group for the middle seat and last the father in the boarding group for the aisle seat. But they want to stay together as a family, they want to board together.

pdp wrote:
Most of the time, LCCs in Europe use both the front and back doors. This certainly speeds things up and I've seen a 240 seat A321 boarded in 20 minutes as a result!

The one time I've been on a jetway with Ryanair it was a disaster though. We were already two and a half hours late and the doubling it boarding time made it worse.

I agree this helps a lot. It's even printed on your boarding pass, "front door" or "rear door". This is one of the reasons Ryanair is able to achieve a 25 minutes turnaround time, the fastest I'm aware of. The more doors you have for boarding, the faster it goes. And of course everybody should use the right door. Occasionally it happens on a Ryanair flight that someone takes the wrong door and has to walk against the stream of people. Very inconvenient for everybody.

Prost

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 pm

You may not want to sit there longer, but you want to make certain you and your bag are on board. This is mostly an overhead bin space issue.

trpmb6

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Prost wrote:
You may not want to sit there longer, but you want to make certain you and your bag are on board. This is mostly an overhead bin space issue.

I personally don't mind gate checking my bag. Especially if I know i'll be in the back of the plane. Usually if you're in the back of the plane and boarding last your bag will be one of the first ones brought back to the gate on the other side. (Last bag loaded on is the first bag brought out.) Then you don't have to worry about lugging your bag onto the aircraft and lugging it back off. Win-Win.

0newair0

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Exeiowa wrote:

I've never understood this either. Why would you want to get seated at the front of the plane before every single person boards? You want 150+ people walking past you? Trust me, that free wine you got for purchasing that premium ticket isn't going to be so free when that 20 something carrying an oversized bag knocks it over into your lap.

The only priority boarding group I understand is people boarding with children. (That's me on thursday) It's a PITA to board with kids. But my wife and I are pro at flying with children so getting us in the plane, situated and getting the ipad set up for a movie (on flights without IFE) is to everyone else's benefit. Trust me.

1) Most of the time I (and many/most others) fly up front is because I was upgraded, not because we paid for a premium ticket (that was probably paid for by my company).

2) The wine (or other beverage) never lasts long enough for anyone to knock it over. This seriously is not a common problem.

Any who, as has already been said, there are many studies on this but they all ignore special boarding groups such as those needing more time to board and passenger loyalty. The boarding process will not get any better until the special interest groups are done away with.
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Prost wrote:

I agree larger overhead bins could solve a lot, the Airspace XL bins by Airbus are a good example of that. If it's easier to put the hand luggage in the overhead bin (more room) this will also speed up the boarding process. Plus people want to have their luggage with them, they don't want it put in the hold where they got no control over it. That's the reason I always buy priority boarding when flying Ryanair. Not because I want to be the first on board, but because it allows me to take my large hand luggage with me in the cabin. If every plane was equiped with larger overhead bins this would have been possible for everybody.

YYZLGA

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 pm

It's not about the plane itself, but I find the "gate lice" problem of people standing around the gate and trying to queue when they are going to be called by zone is one of the most stressful parts of the whole process. It's also a nightmare for passenger circulation around the terminal. At YVR, at least for the widebody gates, there are five rows so that there is a separate queue for each of AC's five zones. It's a wonderful approach that takes a bit more space, but ends up making the whole process much more reasonable.

Chemist

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Southwest at Burbank and Long Beach still uses stairs/ramps instead of jet bridges. You embark/disembark from front and rear. It's fast. Also since they don't assign seats, if you are flying to one of those airports, head to one of the rear rows of the plane and you will be one of the first ones off the plane, which is great.

Birdwatching

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm

When I was a little kid I always thought why don't they have seats in the gate area that are set up and numbered exactly like on the plane. By the time boarding begins, every passenger has to be in their seat. The gate agent would then walk from row to row (from the back of course) and invite everybody on board. While I do realize that there are some downsides to this system, I still think I was a pretty clever kid.

Anyway, I have never understood the passengers who clog the gate area from the moment the inbound flight pulls in. In fact I always wait until the very last moment to board, for the simple fact that I can choose an empty seat or row that might be better then my original one.

Now that I have a small child, I wait until the last moment too, as I want to be inside the plane for as short as possible.

I realize it wouldn't work if everybody did the same I do.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

zakuivcustom

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:35 pm

From a old Mythbusters result:
https://mythresults.com/airplane-boarding

Back-to-front is by far slowest, while "free-for-all", WN style, is the fastest but with the least satisfaction. "WILMA" (i.e. Window then Middle then Aisle) is a nice compromised, but as some said, you run into issues when you got groups traveling together that want to board at the same time. "Free-for-all" also doesn't work well as some people want to "feel special" and board the plane first, albeit mainly for overhead space. Actually, airlines stop charging for checked luggage would help (reducing all those "borderline" size, if even that small, carry-on luggages). Not surprisingly, there's a reason why WN sticked with the try-and-true, free for all, 2 free checked luggage system, and boarding a WN flight is definitely more organized than boarding a "Everyone is in Group 2" DL flight.

CowAnon

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Chemist wrote:
It would be nice to have some miracle way to have one column of seats (say, the "C" seats on a six-across NB) drop into the floor so that the aisle is twice as wide during boarding. Then if you are in a "C" seat, you board last and pop the seat up once onboard. But that' probably isn't practical for a whole bunch of reasons.

Great idea! On a twin-aisle plane, you could rotate the inner (between-aisle) seat groups sideways, raising the corresponding stowage bins upward if additional clearance is necessary, and let the passengers in the outer seat groups board first with wider aisles before restoring the inner seats/bins and boarding the rest of the passengers. I'm sure that's impractical too, though.

If that's not innovative enough, Boeing has a concept plane that could board the passengers instead of vice-versa... :lol:

Boeing patented intermodal container plane

IFlyVeryLittle
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Maybe, we need to ditch all the special sky priority groups and save early boarding for 1) people in wheelchairs; and 2) people traveling with kids who have their own seat. Then, the passengers WITHOUT a carry-on case (regardless of what class they're in or what sparkly credit card they hold). Then begin the march of the roll-aboards down the jet way.

IFlyVeryLittle
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Maybe, we need to ditch all the special sky priority groups and save early boarding for 1) people in wheelchairs; and 2) people traveling with kids who have their own seat. Then, the passengers WITHOUT a carry-on case (regardless of what class they're in or what sparkly credit card they hold). Then begin the march of the roll-aboards down the jet way.

deebee278

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Exeiowa wrote:

I got rerouted on LH from ORD, as I waited to board the A340-600 I was thinking they have to board soon, we are going to be leaving so late, there are so many people! But it took 20 mins to get everyone on that plane, so I don't think its all much the same, but rather a will to do things a certain way, and have passengers prepared as well

One thought on your LH experience. Folks from many other countries have "railroad mentality". I traveled by rail in Japan recently. The timing is precise. The train is in the station for maybe three minutes. You get right off or right on, period. This can't be directly applied to the airlines but I'm just referring to the general mindset of many Europeans, Japanese, etc.

evomutant

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Never understood boarding early either. You ain't getting to your destination any quicker.

Take a soft carry on that will go under the seat, board last with the door closing behind you and off you go. Why anybody wants to sit for 25 minutes longer than they have to I have no idea.

chonetsao

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Based on my US travels with mostly AA and in Europe with IAG, my ideal boarding process is:
Group 1: Parents with toddler and children under 6 together with wheelchair assistance
Group 2: First class and high level Elite
Group 3: lower Elite members
Group 4: People with approved hand luggage in back of plane
Group 5: People purchased Basic economy without hand luggage in back rows (so there is gap for people constantly looking for head bin spaces which could help the flow, but I understand AA is changing its policy so these people may have to move back on group numbers)
Group 6: People with little or no hand luggage in front rows
Group 7: People with big hand luggage in front rows

So that people with hand luggage start from the back rows, by the time the front row passenger with hand luggage get on board and no head bin space left, it is easier for gate agents to quickly tag their luggage by the door and the passengers can quick find their seats in stead of walking all the way back. in theory it should save few minutes of last minute luggage handling. But the downside is to identify the appropriate groups before boarding starts and to control the flow.

After all, from my personal observation, what really slows down boarding process is not people can not find their seats, but people constantly looking for head bin space above their own seats. It is normally gone or people have to walk further or against flow to find the space. During this process the queue get jammed up and slowed.

And on Southwest, the boarding process is slowed by people who like to travel together but could not find 2 seats/3 seats together. I have seen Southwest flight boarding takes longer than AA.
Last edited by chonetsao on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyingcat

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Dual jetbridges did improve boarding times but accidents and the realization that it does not improve turnaround time ended that experiment.

Over time there are plans to improve other areas of the airport.

Airline industry groups are working on incorporating biometric boarding passes.

In addition there are others working on automated jetways, driverless tugs and tractors. IATA mentioned at a recent conference that automation could fill up to 40 roles in the airport environment.

Bostrom

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 pm

pdp wrote:

Flag carriers do it as well and it saves a lot of time and it is not uncommon for jetways to have signs directing those sitting in the back down a flight of stairs to apron to board via the rear door.

And, the last time I flew Norwegian there were announcement during the boarding reminding people to not block the aisle when they have found their seat.

mjoelnir

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
From a old Mythbusters result:
https://mythresults.com/airplane-boarding

Back-to-front is by far slowest, while "free-for-all", WN style, is the fastest but with the least satisfaction. "WILMA" (i.e. Window then Middle then Aisle) is a nice compromised, but as some said, you run into issues when you got groups traveling together that want to board at the same time. "Free-for-all" also doesn't work well as some people want to "feel special" and board the plane first, albeit mainly for overhead space. Actually, airlines stop charging for checked luggage would help (reducing all those "borderline" size, if even that small, carry-on luggages). Not surprisingly, there's a reason why WN sticked with the try-and-true, free for all, 2 free checked luggage system, and boarding a WN flight is definitely more organized than boarding a "Everyone is in Group 2" DL flight.

The mythbuster is a bust. All systems had business boarding first, so no real back to front in the list, because the front boarded first.

I feel most comfortable in business when boarded through L2 and I turn left, no passengers squeezing through while I get comfortable.

mjoelnir

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:53 pm

evomutant wrote:
Never understood boarding early either. You ain't getting to your destination any quicker.

Take a soft carry on that will go under the seat, board last with the door closing behind you and off you go. Why anybody wants to sit for 25 minutes longer than they have to I have no idea.

:checkmark:

One of the most comfortable systems was with Emirates from Jeddah. You could sit in the lounge, business class called late, last to board, no air stairs but busses, you go on board, enough space for the hand luggage sit down, get your drink and off you go.

aklrno

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Birdwatching wrote:
When I was a little kid I always thought why don't they have seats in the gate area that are set up and numbered exactly like on the plane. By the time boarding begins, every passenger has to be in their seat. The gate agent would then walk from row to row (from the back of course) and invite everybody on board. While I do realize that there are some downsides to this system, I still think I was a pretty clever kid.

Anyway, I have never understood the passengers who clog the gate area from the moment the inbound flight pulls in. In fact I always wait until the very last moment to board, for the simple fact that I can choose an empty seat or row that might be better then my original one.

Now that I have a small child, I wait until the last moment too, as I want to be inside the plane for as short as possible.

I realize it wouldn't work if everybody did the same I do.

That's almost exactly the Southwest system, except that you line up in boarding number order just before you board. There are no assigned seats, but I think most people have an idea of where they want to be and sit down quickly once they get there.

Miamiairport

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Short of having 2 boarding doors or paxs that actually have common sense boarding will remain a daily disaster. I see neither happening at least in the US.

AnsettB727

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:01 pm

If we culled what people could bring on board, you'd get everyone seated a whole lot faster. It should be an enforced single item which weighs no more than 7kg. Most of the time is wasted as people search high and low for somewhere to store all their worldly goods and chattles.

ridgid727

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:02 pm

If TSA started charging $35 for each bag ran thru their xray equipment, checking bags and paying $25.00 to check a bag would be a bargain. There would be no boarding mess at the gate.

Flighty

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Basically no. Generally zone boarding works fine. If you think you can design a better zone algorithm, go ahead and sell it to airlines. Chances are you cannot. It's great to think about logistical efficiency, but this is one issue that has been completely studied to death and what you see is the best solution. Zone is slightly better than by row. The innovation already happened around the year 1995.

Chemist

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

No, because elites would be butthurt that they lost their early boarding.

Chemist

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:36 pm

evomutant wrote:

1 - People want to board early partly to ensure they have overhead space.
2 - People need overhead space because the airlines have forced more carry-on luggage due to bag fees.

KingB123

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:04 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
evomutant wrote:

:checkmark:

One of the most comfortable systems was with Emirates from Jeddah. You could sit in the lounge, business class called late, last to board, no air stairs but busses, you go on board, enough space for the hand luggage sit down, get your drink and off you go.

Flying Economy from Jeddah is a different story all together lol
King B

blockski

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:37 am

Chemist wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

No, because elites would be butthurt that they lost their early boarding.

I can guarantee that her airlines did the math on this, and the value for offering a perk to elites (and for boosting credit card memberships) vastly outweighs the benefits of faster boarding.

flyPIT

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:39 am

This would probably be the most civilized way to do it. Get all the fist fights out of the way before the passengers are on the plane.

FLYi

UALFAson

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 am

For the record, not everyone who brings on a rollaboard is a leisure traveler carrying all of their life's possessions. I am a business traveler who frequently takes 3-7 day business trips. I need more clothes than I can shove under my seat, as previous posters not-so-helpfully suggested. And then time I spend waiting in baggage claim for a checked bag is completed wasted time that I am not doing work.

Last week, I was in NYC and Chicago and did some shopping, so I had to expand and therefore check my bag for the first time in I can't even remember. I was on a 50-seat RJ at a relatively small airport (BNA) where the plane is not that far from the gate and it still took THIRTY (30) MINUTES from the time the door opened until my bag came out on the carousel with a priority tag.

I spent almost $8,000 and flew more than 60 segments on my preferred carrier last year. So yes, I do expect to board the plane first so I can get overhead bin space so that I can grab my bag and walk off the plane and immediately into an Uber/taxi when I land. I would bet that the people who complain about this the most are the ones on the cheapest tickets at the back of the line who are jealous that they're not getting the same treatment as elites.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Chemist

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:02 am

Actually the passengers as cargo idea is kind of cool. You sit in your assigned seat in the airport terminal and are just loaded onto the plane. Saves the cost of seats in the terminal area, too. You could even have the overhead bins in the cargo module and no more wasted time in loading. The elites could already be asleep in their pods before they are rolled onto the plane!

Of course all the planes would need folding cargo noses a la 747, so not really practical.

alyusuph

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 am

One of he best boarding I have done was with Jet Airways 739 in Bangkok. All passengers arriving at the check in desk were asked to walk straight to the aircraft. The aircraft filled slowly, one person at a time.
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

questions

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:54 am

Much of it is driven by the desire for overhead bin space and the amount of stuff passengers bring onboard, especially in the US. On carriers outside the US where it is more customary to check luggage and carry on luggage is minimal, the boarding seems more civilized and takes less time.

With that said, the airlines also contribute to the mess by making money from boarding — e.g., passengers with the airline’s co-branded credit card receive early boarding privileges; customers in premium economy receive early boarding privileges.

Other than airlines that are using/testing boarding corrals to force some order to the madness, nothing’s really being done... because no one really wants to solve this.

So... we end up with this:

Group 1 — Empathy. People who move slower. Passengers with enfants in arms; passengers with toddlers in strollers; elderly passengers

Group 2 — Greed. People who’ve given us more money in the short or long term. First Class; elite flyers; premium economy; co-branded credit card holders

Group 3 — Who Invited You? All other passengers

smithbs

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 am

I liked QX's "ala carte" before TSA. You could bring your bag to the jetway and put it on the cart just as you walked on, and it would be there just as you got off. It was the fastest "kind of checked" bag system I've known. They still do it but with TSA rules in effect it is just not the same - better to check and not have to dump everything out at TSA.

Just yesterday I was admiring QX at BOI - they pulled the Q400 right up to the gate, unloaded through both doors, then we loaded through both doors (ala carte available) and pushed back right on time. Turn-around time was listed at 40 minutes - they could shave it down with a sense of urgency and not going through a hundred levels of boarding (for a Q400 flight??? C'mon, it's a single class airplane!).

This compared favorably to my departure from SEA to BOI, which was a 739ER loaded through only one door and pushed back 18 minutes late.

And I agree with those being last on the plane - who wants the privilege of sitting longer on the plane? I wait until close to last to board, except for those days when my kids were small.